Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Would love to see what AVB could do with 200m in a post world cup silly season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

mackintosh posted:

He did get Beckham sent off and England out of the World Cup, that's gotta count for something.

I always forget this was him when I start to like him

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

The Mash posted:

There's over a month from the end of the World Cup to the start of the new season though, and post World Cup silly seasons are by far the worst

But we do get to follow the continuing story of Bungling Jozy.

Shit Farm fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 22, 2014

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Tortuga posted:

Would love to see what AVB could do with 200m in a post world cup silly season.

well he could give Rooney that new contract hes earned for one

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

With the link taking you here

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

Also, the best part of this story is that United made the decision to sack Moyes months ago, but waited until they were mathematically eliminated from the CL to do it. What a ridiculous small time mentality.

lmao.. saving £20m is "small time". I'm actually pleased they saw which way the wind was blowing that early.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I woke up this morning and had a text which was timestamped about 20 minutes before the text which Taff got, informing me that Moyes was going to get sacked.

I also just got another one informing me that Arsenal are poo poo, can anyone confirm this??

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Cart Cam posted:

The summer already has the world cup.

We Scots will keep ourselves occupied during the irrelevant football tournament that does not contain Scotland by applying for the Man Utd job. Every one of us.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
They should get Mourinho. I bet Mata would be thrilled to be reunited (heh) with his former manager.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Who was the last black manager in the league?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Moyes was never the right choice, but I feel a bit sorry for him because the players and senior staff at United do seem to have tried their hardest to completely gently caress him over.

Also this might be better for the finances thread, but surely United are going to get in trouble with the NYSE over this? Massive leaks of significant information before any official announcements from the business is very naught for a listed company.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Giggs being appointed is a strange one. All the rumours about there being rows between him and Moyes were true, and he was definitely leaving the club in the summer if Moyes was still there.

Did I post about the training row between them? I cant remember. I was told Giggs didnt show up to a coaches meeting, and so one of the other coaches went to find him. Giggs was still in the training rooms and said something along the lines of "Its pointless us having these meetings when that stubborn oval office doesnt listen to a word we say."

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

peanut- posted:

Also this might be better for the finances thread, but surely United are going to get in trouble with the NYSE over this? Massive leaks of significant information before any official announcements from the business is very naught for a listed company.

It depends if the investors were annoyed with a loser or not. Also leaks happen all the time (see: tech)

I think it'll drop ~5% today once trading opens, I know a couple English hedge fund managers shorted it (which is hilarious)

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

In non-manager news, Mirallas out for the rest of the season :negative: gently caress

hadji murad posted:

Who was the last black manager in the league?

Not sure if United under Hughton would work mate, and it angers Sol Campbell

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cisse broke his kneecap while playing against Swansea :shepface:

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

United need an englishman who knows the place, is a young motivator, and has a football vision - Tim Sherwood

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

peanut- posted:

Moyes was never the right choice, but I feel a bit sorry for him because the players and senior staff at United do seem to have tried their hardest to completely gently caress him over.

They can announce before the market opens. Its briefing journalists on stuff thats a no no according to @Andersred on twitter who does all the excellent financial stuff

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Giggs is just imitating Garry Monk. He'll get a 'for the foreseeable future' appointment by the end of the week, then be poo poo.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

I'd really rather they left Dear Roberto to fulfill his promise of bringing Champions League football to Goodison Park.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Taff posted:

They can announce before the market opens. Its briefing journalists on stuff thats a no no according to @Andersred on twitter who does all the excellent financial stuff

Yeah that's what I mean. The number of journalists who knew exactly what was going on from sources inside the club before any official announcement seems like it should upset the regulators.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

belgend posted:

In non-manager news, Mirallas out for the rest of the season :negative: gently caress

Not sure if United under Hughton would work mate, and it angers Sol Campbell

Gone AND forgotten.

Whoops.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Beige posted:

With the link taking you here

That really is a loving shocking website. I'm spoiled as a city fan.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

belgend posted:

Feck.

Still, it could be worse

quote:

Doug in Fife, via text on 81111: Which Man Utd players would get into Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool? Rooney maybe. Van Persie when he turns up. That's it. Man Utd were supposed to be different. I'm done supporting them.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

peanut- posted:

Yeah that's what I mean. The number of journalists who knew exactly what was going on from sources inside the club before any official announcement seems like it should upset the regulators.

Tech companies leek constantly

any Sector with a media presence is prone to this kind of poo poo

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

That really is a loving shocking website. I'm spoiled as a city fan.

It is pretty dreadful. They should sack the webmaster.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

belgend posted:

Is he going to be ok for the World Cup?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Rooneys arrived at training and he's brought a friend

He may not be the hero we deserve, but he's the one we need right now

Batman for new manager

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target

irlZaphod posted:

Is he going to be ok for the World Cup?

Apparently.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Duncan Sperguson posted:

Feck.

Still, it could be worse

Mods please rename me Doug in Fife.

e: not PL news, but the FA have chosen today to reveal that Forest's Dexter Blackstock has been charged with misconduct related to betting. Nice bit of flying under the radar there.

Raffles fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 22, 2014

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Taff posted:

Giggs being appointed is a strange one.

I think it might be a good move. He knows what the players want and he knows where they're going to be happy. The rest of them probably really respect him also which they didn't with Moyes I think.

Might be a good move, for 4 games anyway.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

quote:

"I find it hard to believe that's the way the balls came out of the bag, that's for sure. I think it's the hardest start for 20 years that Manchester United have had. I hope it's not because Manchester United won the league quite comfortably last year"

"I will sort it. I will fix it. I will turn it around. I have got no doubt about that. We know we have to improve. I am still getting to know them. They are really good team, they won the Premier League last year"

"I don't know what we have to do to win."

"We never really got to grips with things and to a man you could hardly pick anybody out. We just didn't perform."

"Their league position suggests they are ahead of us"

"I think we need to play better."

"I actually think if Sir Alex was here this year it would be difficult for Sir Alex as well"

- David William Moyes

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

I woke up this morning and had a text which was timestamped about 20 minutes before the text which Taff got, informing me that Moyes was going to get sacked.

I also just got another one informing me that Arsenal are poo poo, can anyone confirm this??

Confirmed, op

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also my thoughts on Moyes leaving - awwwwwww

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

The Mash posted:

I'm curious, who would non-United fans consider a good pick? Assuming Klopp is unavailable and other managers at big clubs (Ancelotti) aren't interested. I have to admit I don't know enough about van Gaals style as a manager to have an opinion of him one way or the other.

In order of please God no -ness.

Guardiola
Klopp
Martinez
Ancelloti
Capello

Utd are a proper organisational mess at the moment and they've got serious leadership issues.
Anyone else would be fine for this Liverpool supporter as although they'd not be bad as Moyes, they'd not be good enough to really turn things around.

Jiminy Cricket
Feb 5, 2008

Flight Suit Up!
Lol

The Daily Telegraph posted:

Exclusive: Manchester United set set to make discreet moves to find out whether Guardiola can be tempted away from Bayern Munich

Manchester United are prepared to make a check on Pep Guardiola before turning to their list of more realistic targets. Having sacked David Moyes and put Ryan Giggs in temporary charge until the end of the season, United must now identify the club’s long-term successor. Louis van Gaal is desperate to land the Old Trafford job, but United have been made aware Jurgen Klopp is not interested in the post. Atlético Madrid coach Diego Simeone has admirers at United, but the Argentine’s lack of English fluency is a major drawback. Before making a firm approach to Van Gaal, Simeone or another candidate, United are set to make discreet moves to find out whether or not Guardiola could be tempted away from Bayern Munich.

Such a move would be a long-shot, as Guardiola is only 12 months into the three-year deal he signed at Bayern last summer. The Spaniard has already guided the German club to the Bundesliga title and faces Real Madrid in the first leg of the Champions League semi-finals on Wednesday night. United are aware Guardiola sees United as a club he would eventually like to manage in England and sources suggest he is not entirely happy in Munich and with the influence of former Bayern players at the club.

After leaving Barcelona, Guardiola spent a year-long sabbatical in New York and improved his English. The 43-year-old has confirmed he would like to eventually manage in the Premier League.

Ahead of Bayern’s Champions League quarter-final, Guardiola revealed he may have been offered the chance to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson as United manager before Moyes was given the job, but could not fully understand the Scotsman’s accent. Guardiola and Ferguson dined together in New York in September 2012 during the former midfielder’s break.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Just found out that it's exactly one year to the day that United won the title by beating Villa 3-0.

Absolutely incredible how bad a job Moyes has done.

Worst appointment in premier league history?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

peanut- posted:

Never mind the regulators, any organisation leaking board-level decisions with this haste and volume need to be doing a lot of cleaning up.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Taff posted:

Did I post about the training row between them? I cant remember. I was told Giggs didnt show up to a coaches meeting, and so one of the other coaches went to find him. Giggs was still in the training rooms and said something along the lines of "Its pointless us having these meetings when that stubborn oval office doesnt listen to a word we say."

Shocking ego from Giggs, undermining Moyes since day one. Its amazing the attitude he has and for someone who people regularly fellate based on his "personality" and "professionalism" im glad its shown the plastic cymraeg twat for the horrible scum he is

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Whilst the idea of Pep moving this summer is preposterous, I would be intrigued to see how he would fare taking over a club that doesn't have the best pool of talent in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Raffles posted:

Whilst the idea of Pep moving this summer is preposterous, I would be intrigued to see how he would fare taking over a club that doesn't have the best pool of talent in the world.

I think he's answered the "was it just a Barcelona thing" already to be honest.
He may not be as good as he seems, but he's certainly one of the best managers around now.

• Locked thread