Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Lets just pretend this never happened

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Kind of feel bad for the guy. It almost feels like he was being set up to fail.

You could say he was. Bringing him in to play at fly half is a pretty big call. Then you'd have to say that making that call, you should be prepared as a coach to give him time to learn the game and the position. But bringing him in and then effectively dumping him after 8 games is pretty poo poo. Did anyone seriously expect him to just slot in and be good at that position in his first season?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Unimpressed posted:

You could say he was. Bringing him in to play at fly half is a pretty big call. Then you'd have to say that making that call, you should be prepared as a coach to give him time to learn the game and the position. But bringing him in and then effectively dumping him after 8 games is pretty poo poo. Did anyone seriously expect him to just slot in and be good at that position in his first season?

I was always under the impression people though he'd be another Folau? Though Izzy went into the back three, which isn't exactly flyhalf.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

butros posted:

I was always under the impression people though he'd be another Folau? Though Izzy went into the back three, which isn't exactly flyhalf.

Exactly the problem. You put a league wing on the wing in Rugby and it's not that different. Full back, that's a bit harder, you need a better sense of the game, just look how differently Izzy is playing this year and he's got a lot to learn still. But fly half? That's the most challenging back position IMO. So if you're going to take a 28 year old who maybe played some Rugby as a kid, and put them in SR as a fly half, you have to know that it's going to take time. Looks to me like Kirwan said, let's give Benji a go, if it works I look like a genius. If it doesn't, I throw him away. And that's what he's basically done after 8 games. Yeah I reckon Benji been hosed a bit here.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/warren-gatland-targets-chiefs-star-7014342

People who watch Super Rugby: who is this guy and is he any good?

Looks like the outside half factory is outsourcing abroad :downs:

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Gareth Anscombe is the Chiefs fullback and really good. He played 10 last year but I don't know how he went

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

He was close to going there when the Blues (:mmmhmm:) didn't give him a contract a couple of years ago so it wouldn't surprise me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He was a fairly conservative 10 that was more a points-machine rather than a King Carlos type for Auckland, who never really secured the jersey in his brief stint with the Blues. The bulk of his rugby at the Chiefs has been spent either at fullback since Aaron Cruden's already in the 10 jersey, or on the shelf due to injury.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
If he starts doing a Henry then Gatland is officially done.
I don't think Wales needs the 5th or 6th choice Kiwi outside half to be honest.

That said, I think it's just The Fail trolling Biggar.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Anscombe isn't terrible but he is easily behind Barrett, Carter and Cruden when it comes to AB selection - and possibly a couple of other players too.
I don't know where that would put him in the current Welsh side but I think the move would benefit Anscombe far more that it would benefit Wales.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The current order of preference is as follows:

1. Dan Carter
2. Aaron Cruden
3. Beauden Barrett
4. Tom Taylor
5. Colin Slade

Anscombe is sixth choice at best, maybe even seventh or eighth.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

1. Dan Carter
2. Aaron Cruden
3. Beauden Barrett
4. Tom Taylor
5. Colin Slade

Anscombe is sixth choice at best, maybe even seventh or eighth.

I don't disagree with this list, but Anscombe isn't exactly poo poo. Injury aside, he's been a consistent performer - his biggest fault is probably just that New Zealand has a mindboggling amount of depth at 10.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's amazing to think that only a few years ago that Stephen Donald managed to play 23 tests for the All Blacks.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

It's amazing to think that only a few years ago that Stephen Donald managed to play 23 tests for the All Blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwuZtscThY

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

hongkong.mp4

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vagabundo posted:

?. Rhys Priestland
?. Dan Biggar
?. Rhys Patchell
?. James Hook
?. Owen Williams
?. Jordan Williams
?. Matthew Morgan
?. Gareth Anscombe

If he's going to bring someone in from a foreign league, I think Owen Williams is the most likely, but Gatland seems completely against the idea of foreign-based players, unless his hand is forced by an existing squad members moving away. At this point, that applies to so many of his players, that the policy may not even matter.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

4. Tom Taylor
5. Colin Slade

I completely forgot about those two. Well thats even more evidence of where he fits in the All Blacks picture - nowhere.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well he is named Gareth, that has to count for something to the WRU.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Sixth place in fantasy seems to be my thang.

Placement doesn't seem to change much (unlike in the nrl fantasy!)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Hamster Man posted:

Sixth place in fantasy seems to be my thang.

Placement doesn't seem to change much (unlike in the nrl fantasy!)

You won't be saying that when I surge past you next week. I think most of my players are even playing this week.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
6 of my players have gold stars.

Which makes my team unbeatable

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Hamster Man posted:

6 of my players have gold stars.

Which makes my team unbeatable

7 of my players have gold stars, check-mate.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Well gently caress

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I am bad at fantasy rugby.

Worse than I am at real rugby actually.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So Welsh international Ian Gough's been charged with assaulting his ex-girlfriend, a former Miss Wales, at the home she shares with her current fiance. It seems this was the proper beatdown style of assault, rather than the kind that a certain former All Black who now plies his trade in the UK was charged with 9 years ago.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9280988,00.html

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
As Johann Muller retires at the end of this season,Ulster have replaced him with another Bok,Franco Van Der Merwe.I don't know much about him,but he has a long term injury right now and he's 31.The last thing Ulster need is another player who gets injured easily.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Swan Curry posted:

As Johann Muller retires at the end of this season,Ulster have replaced him with another Bok,Franco Van Der Merwe.I don't know much about him,but he has a long term injury right now and he's 31.The last thing Ulster need is another player who gets injured easily.

He was the Lions captain for a while. I can see why he'd rather be playing for Ulster than the Lions, definitely. Hard to say if he's all that good though because his team has been absolute poo poo for so long that good players haven't really emerged.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKXePwCllT0

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Well, that Blues defence made the Tahs look like chumps.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

At least the Blues can hang their hat on not being the worst team in blue in the competition.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

butros posted:

It went down pretty much exactly how we thought it would in the league thread.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I see the Chiefs have left their brains behind in the Tron.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Well, that Blues defence made the Tahs look like chumps.

I reckon the Tahs had a part of making themselves look like chumps even without the Blues defence's help. It's well and good having a ball in hand philosophy but you need to execute the basics.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That Malakai Fekitoa try vs the sharks. :stare:

Edit: gently caress we're good.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 26, 2014

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I'd just like to say: gently caress Steve Walsh.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Surprise, surprise: hurricanes own

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

That Malakai Fekitoa try vs the sharks. :stare:

http://gfycat.com/DifficultActiveBluebottlejellyfish

Shameful poo poo that "tackling".

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

That's about the caliber of tackling I'd expect from my team, which consists almost entirely of graduate students, half of whom have never played rugby before.

COULD THIS BE THE HIGHLANDERS' YEAR??? Or were the Sharks just having a defensive brain-fart that day?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Clermont making Ashton look good. The greatest villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Clermont looked so unstoppable this season. What a complete bottle.

Holy poo poo, 40 points difference!? Bottling doesn't cover it.

Plucky Brit fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 26, 2014

• Locked thread