Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SedanChair posted:

This isn't going to be a kangaroo ticket like Dubya or Obama. Hillary is the gravitas, so they can go sexy with the veep. Just don't pick a literal psychopath like John Edwards.
Now before you get into that let me tell you about how there are two Americas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Cigar Aficionado posted:

A young male Latino like Julian Castro would be a good guy to aim for on the VP slot (maybe a little inexperienced but Hillary's presence mitigates that a lot). Martin O'Malley would be another great VP choice. Elizabeth Warren would be too much woman for America to handle at this point, and I think the Dems may cynically avoid putting a black guy on the ticket after it's gone so well for the first guy in certain parts of the country (So no Cory Booker or Deval Patrick, who are in the mix).

If we're just playing cynical identity politics, Hillary would be really well off picking a black running mate, all she has to to win is keep the Obama coalition together and notch the score on white women close to where Kerry or Gore performed to win in a landslide, who the gently caress cares what they think in bumfuck red states? Obama put Virginia, North Carolina and Indiana in play. There probably isn't an ideal candidate though, Hillary knows enough pols that she'll probably pick someone she personally knows and trusts, I doubt she's that close to Patrick and Booker proved himself way too much of a liability in the last general election for any savvy politician to ever seriously consider him.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
VP choice should go to someone who is a good surrogate for the campaign, makes some underappreciated segment of the party feel happier, and who people could conceivably see stepping up and doing an adequate job running the country should the president die or become incapacitated. Clinton will probably follow that equation exactly, unless she really didn't get the memo as to why she lost in '08. A vice president is like a second in a duel. You don't want someone who has never fired a gun before. :haw:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Spatula City posted:

VP choice should go to someone who is a good surrogate for the campaign, makes some underappreciated segment of the party feel happier, and who people could conceivably see stepping up and doing an adequate job running the country should the president die or become incapacitated. Clinton will probably follow that equation exactly, unless she really didn't get the memo as to why she lost in '08.
VP choice had nothing to do with why Hillary lost, if she had somehow eked out a victory after the grudge match with Obama she would have been hard pressed not offer him a spot on the ticket and I suspect she would have.

Anyway, the VP calculation really doesn't need to be as complicated as your equation and the last President Clinton's selection of Al Gore fails at least half of it. First and foremost the Veep selection shouldn't be the biggest story of the campaign post labour day, if you're counting on your VP as an argument to voters on why you should be President you're already losing badly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gygaxian posted:

I kind of wish there was a politician with the last name of "Colonel", so that we can have Colonel/Sanders.

Franken/Stein 2016.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pope Guilty posted:

Edwards is done, done, done. He's outright hated by a lot of people.

He's actually back to practicing law again.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

And he'd better loving stay there.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

DynamicSloth posted:

If we're just playing cynical identity politics, Hillary would be really well off picking a black running mate, all she has to to win is keep the Obama coalition together and notch the score on white women close to where Kerry or Gore performed to win in a landslide, who the gently caress cares what they think in bumfuck red states? Obama put Virginia, North Carolina and Indiana in play. There probably isn't an ideal candidate though, Hillary knows enough pols that she'll probably pick someone she personally knows and trusts, I doubt she's that close to Patrick and Booker proved himself way too much of a liability in the last general election for any savvy politician to ever seriously consider him.

Clinton/Powell demographic underdog pro-Iraq bipartisan superticket!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SedanChair posted:

This isn't going to be a kangaroo ticket like Dubya or Obama. Hillary is the gravitas, so they can go sexy with the veep. Just don't pick a literal psychopath like John Edwards.

The Chair's got a point. Hillary is very much the insider/veteran/establishment of the ticket, woman or not. A veteran establishment insider white guy brings only one thing to the table - being a guy. (Which since he'd be subordinate to a woman wouldn't even really net you the misogynists anyhow.) Her VP pick is likely to be someone who addresses her weak points - someone fresh to counter the dynasty angle, someone young to re-grab the under 40 demographics again. I would be surprised if her pick is over 45.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Castro, damnit. I'm gonna beat the drum until it starts gaining enough steam to be bandied about by pundits. They may not win Texas, but the frothing GOP response to a woman/Latino ticket would be a very special entertainment.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

mdemone posted:

Castro, damnit. I'm gonna beat the drum until it starts gaining enough steam to be bandied about by pundits. They may not win Texas, but the frothing GOP response to a woman/Latino ticket would be a very special entertainment.

I don't know too much about Texas politics--are you referring to Mayor Castro or his brother Representative Castro?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Redeye Flight posted:

I don't know too much about Texas politics--are you referring to Mayor Castro or his brother Representative Castro?

Either, but probably the Mayor.

Even if he doesn't become President going from VP to Governor of Texas would be a pretty good career move too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nessus posted:

I personally wasn't that shocked by Obama's actual centrist position, but I was kind of shocked it took him this long to realize the Republicans were being completely intransigent. Fair enough to give them an opportunity to work with you, but...
i always put it down to a perspective shift given the circumstances. The country is not in a good place and in 2008 we were really hosed. 2 wars, the Great Recession, massive debt, skyrocketing health care costs, climate change, collapsing infrastructure... It was the kind of poo poo where things are getting so desperate a sane person will shut up and pull together with someone they hate just so you both make it out. He basically expected them to act in the best interests of the country and try and solve the problems, even if their solution to the problem was different from his. He assumed they would act in good faith out of either sincere desire to make things better or cynical self interest of not wanting to be labeled as sabotaging America in a time of crisis. He did not expect them to try and burn the country down so they could rule the ashes.

Bacarruda posted:

Valuable? Warren is a national figure and that's probably helpful for the Progressive cause. But she's a junior senator on the fringe of her party's caucus who's very much a DC outsider. She's not in a position to do anything world-changing in the Senate. Similar sotry with Sanders
She is the senior Senator actually.

Tempest_56 posted:

The Chair's got a point. Hillary is very much the insider/veteran/establishment of the ticket, woman or not. A veteran establishment insider white guy brings only one thing to the table - being a guy. (Which since he'd be subordinate to a woman wouldn't even really net you the misogynists anyhow.) Her VP pick is likely to be someone who addresses her weak points - someone fresh to counter the dynasty angle, someone young to re-grab the under 40 demographics again. I would be surprised if her pick is over 45.

This is my logic for Castro. Young, fresh to the scene, nonwhite, and can provide really good uplifting rhetoric speeches to balance out her experienced pregnant if style speeches.

I don't think there is enough of another power block for her to need another type of establishment dem, so might as well go for messaging and cynical identity politics. Affinity politics drives everything on the right anyways, might as well do the same to lock in a coalition.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Redeye Flight posted:

Both! It'll be an exhausting campaign, so a doppelgänger is the perfect running mate for when one of them gets tuckered out and needs a nap.

Serious answer: Mayor Castro, if only because locking up San Antonio at least gives you a puncher's chance at taking Texas.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

mdemone posted:

Both! It'll be an exhausting campaign, so a doppelgänger is the perfect running mate for when one of them gets tuckered out and needs a nap.

Serious answer: Mayor Castro, if only because locking up San Antonio at least gives you a puncher's chance at taking Texas.

I can only begin to imagine the majestic insanity that would result from combining "Texas could possibly resemble being in play" with "someone on the Dem ticket has the surname of Castro".

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Technogeek posted:

I can only begin to imagine the majestic insanity that would result from combining "Texas could possibly resemble being in play" with "someone on the Dem ticket has the surname of Castro".

Now imagine the wonderment if their opponent was Ted Cruz. Oh! it fair takes the breath away...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Franken/Stein 2016.

Paul/Ryan 2016.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Speaking as a Masshole who hated Romney from his gubernatorial term to his federal defeat, I'd be 100% all for a Deval Patrick run for president. I'd put the bumper sticker on my car and everything.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Franken/Stein 2016.

Awesome but discouragingly unlikely

Phone posted:

Paul/Ryan 2016.

Terrible but discouragingly likely :smith:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

This is my logic for Castro. Young, fresh to the scene, nonwhite, and can provide really good uplifting rhetoric speeches to balance out her experienced pregnant if style speeches.

I don't think there is enough of another power block for her to need another type of establishment dem, so might as well go for messaging and cynical identity politics. Affinity politics drives everything on the right anyways, might as well do the same to lock in a coalition.

A Castro is the easy choice. I agree Tammy Duckworth is a reasonable choice, too. And I wouldn't discount her possibly tapping Cory Booker (I don't think he'd he a good choice, but he fits the general demographic targets).

Or she could pick Marty Walsh, Mayor of Boston and man of a thousand faces.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

Or she could pick Marty Walsh, Mayor of Boston and man of a thousand faces.

Marty Walsh has only been mayor for four months, and before that he was a state congressman. I'd say he isn't nearly experienced enough to be a realistic contender on he national scale, but seeing as we're discussing him as a potential running mate for Tammy Duckworth I should probably amend that to say that the Duckworth/Walsh administration's chief of staff would be Superman and the Secretary of State would be a majestic pegasus.

That said, if we could somehow get a healthy Thomas Menino on the ticket I'd vote for him as hard as I possibly could. :allears:Mumbles:allears:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mdemone posted:

True story: in 2005, Julian was running for mayor and pulled this (Joaquin showed up at a campaign event and pretended to be him). It turned into a minor scandal and most likely contributed to him losing the election.

e:

Phone posted:

Paul/Ryan 2016.

Paul/Paul 2016

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 22, 2014

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
We do have a thread for the 2016 Presidential race if you want to keep up the Veep sweepstakes chat.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Happy Birthday Lenin. Why is Obama celebrating Communism?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Complete left field no-chance-in-hell spitballing here, but Clinton could always try the Bush Jr. strategy and ask Marissa Mayer? A young CEO pick would immediately shut down any business friendliness complaints, and we'd get to watch all the republicans fall over themselves trying to explain why the former CEO of a major company is somehow different from their former company CEOs. Not sure which country we'd invade to make the world more friendly to internet advertising, though...

And as Yahoo is apparently worth negative 3.45 billion, maybe a transition into politics might be a good move for Mayer?
http://www.vox.com/2014/4/17/5624130/yahoos-core-business-is-worth-less-than-nothing

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Jesus Christ, if you want to go terrible female CEO, you might as well go whole hog and grab Fiorina or Whitman.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Also Dubya's CEO had a little more on his C.V. than just that, like Secretary of Defense, Chief of Staff, and Congressional Leadership. Cheney was many things but he wasn't inexperienced.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Spoilers Below posted:

Complete left field no-chance-in-hell spitballing here, but Clinton could always try the Bush Jr. strategy and ask Marissa Mayer? A young CEO pick would immediately shut down any business friendliness complaints, and we'd get to watch all the republicans fall over themselves trying to explain why the former CEO of a major company is somehow different from their former company CEOs. Not sure which country we'd invade to make the world more friendly to internet advertising, though...

And as Yahoo is apparently worth negative 3.45 billion, maybe a transition into politics might be a good move for Mayer?
http://www.vox.com/2014/4/17/5624130/yahoos-core-business-is-worth-less-than-nothing

Oh god, talk about a fantastically bad idea.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's no way Mayer would leave her post. Mayer left Google because she felt she did not get the recognition she deserved, she's the head of the most popular site on the internet and in the middle of a major corporate turn around. Yahoo is her legacy for the foreseeable future.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How long has it been since somebody unironically advocated Eric Schmidt for CEO of America?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

shrike82 posted:

Jesus Christ, if you want to go terrible female CEO, you might as well go whole hog and grab Fiorina or Whitman.

Again we run into the issue that Hillary would probably not pick a Republican as her running mate.

Mayer, while also not going to be picked for VP, is at least a Democrat. She and Sam Altman are holding a big DNC fundraiser this week.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

loquacius posted:

Marty Walsh has only been mayor for four months, and before that he was a state congressman. I'd say he isn't nearly experienced enough to be a realistic contender on he national scale, but seeing as we're discussing him as a potential running mate for Tammy Duckworth I should probably amend that to say that the Duckworth/Walsh administration's chief of staff would be Superman and the Secretary of State would be a majestic pegasus.

What, am I the only person in this forum who doesn't get to make 'Biden thinks half the US is Marty Walsh' jokes?

Spoilers Below posted:

Complete left field no-chance-in-hell spitballing here, but Clinton could always try the Bush Jr. strategy and ask Marissa Mayer? A young CEO pick would immediately shut down any business friendliness complaints, and we'd get to watch all the republicans fall over themselves trying to explain why the former CEO of a major company is somehow different from their former company CEOs. Not sure which country we'd invade to make the world more friendly to internet advertising, though..

I'm not sure you could have posted up a worse idea, barring the suggestion that we somehow make Dick Cheney her VP.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SCOTUS upheld the MI anti affirmative action law. Bonus action is Roberts blasting Sotomayer's views of race, saying she "does more harm than good"

Gosh, I wonder why the Hispanic woman from a poor neighborhood has a different perspective on race than the rich white guy?

Also, Paul Ryan is going after poverty reduction programs again on April 30th with some seminar called "the war on poverty: views from the front lines". Guess him getting flamed for it last time wasn't enough and his retreat from actively making life worse for the less fortunate was only temporary.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.
If Elizabeth Warren were to run, would she be the first Native American president (or, if the case may be, Vice President)?

I'd support her because it would bring us one step closer to school vouchers: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2012/01/26/elizabeth-warrens-quiet-support-for-public-school-vouchers

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

StarMagician posted:

If Elizabeth Warren were to run, would she be the first Native American president (or, if the case may be, Vice President)?

Hoover's vice president was of Native American heritage!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
What has Cory Booker been up to lately?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ted Cruz is courting the Rickett family for cash, endorsing the latest scion for Nebraska governor and kissing the ring of patriarch Joe

You may remember Joe Rickett as owner of the Chicago Cubs, who wants the city to buy him a new stadium because e claims that would break our losing streak, and close down "boys town" , the Chicago gay district that Wrigley is culturally tied to because he feels it's proximity and depravity hurt people's willingness to come to the games. He also popped up in 2012 when he was going to run an ad "exposing the truth" about Obama so shockingly racist that his own insiders leaked condemnation to the press to stop him from airing it and destroying their whole operation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

whydirt posted:

We do have a thread for the 2016 Presidential race if you want to keep up the Veep sweepstakes chat.

Hey, you just missed the opportunity to say "veepstakes"

Sorry about that.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fried Chicken posted:

SCOTUS upheld the MI anti affirmative action law. Bonus action is Roberts blasting Sotomayer's views of race, saying she "does more harm than good"

Gosh, I wonder why the Hispanic woman from a poor neighborhood has a different perspective on race than the rich white guy?

Wait, what? Did he literally say "racism only exists because you butthurt minorities keep talkinga bout it!"?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Roberts is kind of a terrible person.

Fried Chicken posted:

You may remember Joe Rickett as owner of the Chicago Cubs, who wants the city to buy him a new stadium because e claims that would break our losing streak, and close down "boys town" , the Chicago gay district that Wrigley is culturally tied to because he feels it's proximity and depravity hurt people's willingness to come to the games. He also popped up in 2012 when he was going to run an ad "exposing the truth" about Obama so shockingly racist that his own insiders leaked condemnation to the press to stop him from airing it and destroying their whole operation.

IIRC Ricketts' master plan to bring down Obama was a bunch of Super PAC ads bringing up Wright all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wait, what? Did he literally say "racism only exists because you butthurt minorities keep talkinga bout it!"?

https://twitter.com/landerswsj/status/458619158180429824

https://twitter.com/jacobgershman/status/458627056289730560

• Locked thread