Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I just mixed them all up and re-bagged an ounce. I pushed as much air as I could out of it and threw it back in the fridge.

The bad thing I learned during my brewing is that my new stove can barely get my kettle to boil when it's at volume. Guess that finalizes my decision to finally buy an outdoor burner.

Freeze them, the colder you keep your hops the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Doing two lagers on my next brew day, a Czech Pilsener and a Bavarian Dunkel.

Has anyone made these styles with dry yeast and would S-23 or Brewferm Dry Lager be suitable for either/both of them? Or am I better off getting the more style-specific options from Wyeast/WL?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Just tried a double brew day making a small beer with BIAB.

Primary beer: Wheat IPA
Small beer: Witbier

Was aiming for 19L of one at 1.060 and 19L of the second at 1.033.

We got 19L of 1.040 and 25L of 1.030.

Has anyone done a small beer with second runnings with BIAB?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

DontAskKant posted:

Just tried a double brew day making a small beer with BIAB.

Primary beer: Wheat IPA
Small beer: Witbier

Was aiming for 19L of one at 1.060 and 19L of the second at 1.033.

We got 19L of 1.040 and 25L of 1.030.

I haven't done parti-gyle separated batches but I have played with mash vs dunk sparge volumes and recorded gravities of each - I think I'd have to start with little more than my known efficiency, use a bit more grain than I need, then juggle the two volumes and most likely end up adding water to at least the smaller one to hit the pre-boil numbers. Without the option to add water I know I would be unlikely to end up with what I wanted. So in effect I would plan for two 6-gallon batches and probably end up with more beer in at least one.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

DontAskKant posted:

I've done parti-gyle style before a few times. I use a mash tun, but in my experience, the higher gravity beer the better and you just kind of got to not care that much about the second runnings being lower than 1.040. They are also super fun and delicious to play around with.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jacobey000 posted:

I've done parti-gyle style before a few times. I use a mash tun, but in my experience, the higher gravity beer the better and you just kind of got to not care that much about the second runnings being lower than 1.040. They are also super fun and delicious to play around with.

When doing a parti-gyle do you ever throw an extra speciality grain or so in after the first beer to spice things up?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

The first one was supposed to be a 7% beer if we sparged and didn't do a second running, so i guess the fact that we're likely to get two 4%s is actually not that bad? Basically just divided the gravity points up. Does anyone have a thorough write up on what they did. I'd appreciate all the math you have.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Fluo posted:

When doing a parti-gyle do you ever throw an extra speciality grain or so in after the first beer to spice things up?

We added 1kg of unmalted wheat to our second.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Is there a quick reference anywhere for relating mash thickness and first runnings gravity? I think I want to try out no-sparge brewing and I feel like that would be a handy tool.

edit: nevermind, I found it. Here it is in case anyone is curious

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 21, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

How are wine kits? Never seen them here before but now the place I order from ha e Eclipse kits, which seem kinda nice considering it's like 20kg grapes in those. Those must be linda easy to make since you can skip the whole boiling etc.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sistergodiva posted:

How are wine kits? Never seen them here before but now the place I order from ha e Eclipse kits, which seem kinda nice considering it's like 20kg grapes in those. Those must be linda easy to make since you can skip the whole boiling etc.

Wine kits are never boiled. You dump juice into a bucket, add yeast and assorted other things, and you pretty much have wine in a few weeks.

With wine kits, I find that you really do get what you pay for. If you get a red wine kit, I would strongly suggest getting one that has a grape skin pack. I actually opened a 6 month old bottle of Cellarcraft Showcase Red Mountain Cabernet last night, and it was excellent and received a lot of compliments from those who sampled it. It may be around $6/bottle to make, but consider that buying a commercial example would probably run you five times that.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Disclaimer: this is my first homebrew experience (Hefeweizen )

After my 4th day of primary fermentation (3 days of CO2 bubbling) my Oxygen trap on top of my 5 gallon bucket somehow had wort splashed into it. So I decided to clean it up and re-sanitize everything. When I pushed the plastic trap back into the hole on the lid, the rubber black seal fell off the lid and into the wort. Wonderful. I tried to see if I could fish it out but there's no hope in finding it. I used electrical tape to cover the hole and create (what I hope is) a new seal. I haven't seen any CO2 bubbling since. When I push on the lid the water in the trap moves, so I believe I have a seal. When the hole was open I smelt bananas and alcohol so I assume at least a good portion has converted. Am I hosed?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Safale US-05 alone : smells fine
Wyeast 3944 alone : smells fine
Both chugging away at the same time : :stonk:

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

DontAskKant posted:

Safale US-05 alone : smells fine
Wyeast 3944 alone : smells fine
Both chugging away at the same time : :stonk:

Farts?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Midwest is running a deal for buy 3 listed extract kits, get a free case of bottles and shipping. I'm assuming this is worth it even if I have to buy 2 extra cases and pay for shipping on those?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm having a wedding that will be held at a historic hotel owned by my town. My friend is an award-winning brewer who brewed a batch for our wedding. When we were touring the facility today with the caterer, I brought up how we could get a keg hookup for the brew. I was told in no uncertain terms by the secretary working there that it was "illegal according to North Carolina alcohol laws," " considered as brown-bagging," and "no different than moonshine." The caterer also refused to serve the alcohol.

I want to confirm this is correct, because I really doubt it. Do you think it's something about serving it on government property? I can't find anything stating that it is illegal.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Does the venue have its own catering service or something? I brewed for a wedding in NC last year and it was totally fine.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Every time I've heard stories like this (admittedly, not in NC), it's been a cash grab by the caterer and the hall. They don't want to pour the beer you bring for free; they want to pour the beer they sell you, probably at $4-5 per 12 ounce glass. One friend of mine loves Stella (don't ask me why), and found the only way he could get it at his wedding was to buy the keg, bring it, and then still pay the caterer $4 a glass to pour it.

My guess is that it probably is not actually illegal, but that the only way you'll serve this beer at your wedding is to find another venue.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Jo3sh posted:

Every time I've heard stories like this (admittedly, not in NC), it's been a cash grab by the caterer and the hall. They don't want to pour the beer you bring for free; they want to pour the beer they sell you, probably at $4-5 per 12 ounce glass. One friend of mine loves Stella (don't ask me why), and found the only way he could get it at his wedding was to buy the keg, bring it, and then still pay the caterer $4 a glass to pour it.

My guess is that it probably is not actually illegal, but that the only way you'll serve this beer at your wedding is to find another venue.

Correct. I wanted to brew my own beer for my wedding last year and wound up bottling all of it and passing it out as "favors" after the venue refused to serve it. Total cash grab.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If they wanted money why didn't they say so? I would gladly pay for that.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It's also possible that they genuinely have no idea that brewing beer at home is legal. Some people in my extended family think I'm some sort of bootlegger.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Because they have a Policy. And the secretary doesn't actually understand that the point of the Policy is cash money; being naive, she thinks that the organization she works for would gladly do anything reasonable to make couples' weddings perfect, so there must be some other Reason for the Policy. The only reasonable resolution to the apparent conflict is that it must be illegal. QED. Plus, alcohol is kind of sinful anyway, and beer is low-class, so it's even worse.

You might get some traction if you approach the issue correctly with someone higher on the food chain: "Look, I know it seems like I'm cutting into your profits by wanting to serve this beer at the reception, but I really do understand that people have to eat. I'm not trying to break the law or take food out of anyone's mouth. Tell me what I need to do to get this to happen."

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 22, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I was going to call the ALE agent for my city tomorrow and get it confirmed first hand that its legal. Then I'll see about that.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Congratulations on the wedding, by the way. I hope the beer thing works out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Ask them what specifically is breaking the law. Is it they're not allowed to hook up something brewed at home to their tap to serve for health reasons or something? I could see them not wanting to be held liable for serving something that wasn't commercially produced, but that would be an in house policy, not a law. Would they let you serve bottles? My sister in laws wedding they had home brewed beer, but it was bottled and at everyone's seat at the table like a favor. I'm willing to be there's nothing legally wrong with it, just that they're now allowed to by ownership. If that's the case, you might just be out of luck.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I made this cream ale recipe last year and it was...not great. Didn't really clear up well, taste was off for reasons I can't remember.

I'd like to do another cream ale, does anyone have a better recipe or some advice on how to make it better?

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.5 gallons
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.34%
IBU (tinseth): 17.66
SRM (morey): 3.74

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - American - Pale 6-Row (87.8%)
1 lb - Flaked Corn (9.8%)
4 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (2.4%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.75
0.5 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.57
0.5 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.34

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 15.5 qt, Water Temp: 164
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 12.5 qt, Water Temp: 198

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - Cream Ale Yeast Blend WLP080
Starter: 2L

Ferment @ 65
Secondary at add gelatine

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Speaking of brewing for weddings, I'm brewing for mine, which is going to be at my drat house because the venues we looked at all had similar rules about alcohol to what has already been discussed. I'm looking at 50-75 people, probably not big drinkers, and was hoping I could serve them with 10 gallons, possibly 12.5 if I fill up my wee keg as well. I think that's enough beer, any thoughts?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

rockcity posted:

Ask them what specifically is breaking the law. Is it they're not allowed to hook up something brewed at home to their tap to serve for health reasons or something? I could see them not wanting to be held liable for serving something that wasn't commercially produced, but that would be an in house policy, not a law. Would they let you serve bottles? My sister in laws wedding they had home brewed beer, but it was bottled and at everyone's seat at the table like a favor. I'm willing to be there's nothing legally wrong with it, just that they're now allowed to by ownership. If that's the case, you might just be out of luck.

The lady specifically used the words "brown bagging," as if we were bringing in illegal moonshine to a party to drink on state property or something. She was just sure it was illegal under state law.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

bewbies posted:

I made this cream ale recipe last year and it was...not great. Didn't really clear up well, taste was off for reasons I can't remember.

I'd like to do another cream ale, does anyone have a better recipe or some advice on how to make it better?

I would skip the 6-row and go with good lager malt. I did 44% Pilsner malt, 44% American 2-row ale malt, and 11% flaked rice (you could easily use corn, though). I mashed at 150 to keep it crisp. I used Cascade because it was what I had on hand, but any noble hop would work well, too. OG was 1.052, FG 1.009. I also used WLP080.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Luceo posted:

I'm looking at 50-75 people, probably not big drinkers, and was hoping I could serve them with 10 gallons, possibly 12.5 if I fill up my wee keg as well. I think that's enough beer, any thoughts?
I had my 40th birthday party beginning of March and ~25 people drank close to 15 gallons of homebrew and a bottle of scotch. More than half the people crashed at my house though, the rest had drivers.

Just think of a gallon as 10-11 bottles of beer and then do bottles per person math.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

CapnBry posted:

I had my 40th birthday party beginning of March and ~25 people drank close to 15 gallons of homebrew and a bottle of scotch. More than half the people crashed at my house though, the rest had drivers.

Just think of a gallon as 10-11 bottles of beer and then do bottles per person math.

:stare:

gently caress. I'm gonna need more beer.

I think that the majority of the guests aren't as heavy drinkers as those at your party, at least.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
gently caress my lovely cellphone camera for making it impossible to show that my Belgian Strong Ale has settled so well in primary that it's translucent. Who needs cold crashing when you can just leave it alone for two months.

Best I could do:

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 22, 2014

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Luceo posted:

I think that the majority of the guests aren't as heavy drinkers as those at your party, at least.
People will always drink more than you plan, unless you plan for alcoholics.

I just finished drinking my first batch of homebrew and realized that a) I went through it way faster than intended, and b) I really should have started a second batch a couple of weeks ago.

What's a fairly easy style of beer to make? My first run of beer came from a lovely stir-in-a-pound-of-sugar kits, I'd rather make something that involves actual nerdery, and I'm too impatient to wait for The Complete Joy of Homebrewing to arrive at my door. My wife and I drink everything; she wants me to make something vaguely like Magic Hat's Dandelion Ale, only nicer - would something like that (a floral, somewhat sweet, lightly vegetable IPA) be within the range of a simple just-starting-out hobbyist or should I just google a generic pale ale recipe?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Have you guys had any experience with GrogTag? Do you like them at all?

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

CapnBry posted:

That's averaging 5 pints a person, which I might expect from a party full of homebrewers maybe, but not really from a random crowd with a healthy mix of drivers, lightweights, people who don't drink beer, etc.

Of course, at a wedding, the most important thing is to never run out of alcohol, so you should overshoot or at least come up with a backup plan.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jo3sh posted:

I would skip the 6-row and go with good lager malt. I did 44% Pilsner malt, 44% American 2-row ale malt, and 11% flaked rice (you could easily use corn, though). I mashed at 150 to keep it crisp. I used Cascade because it was what I had on hand, but any noble hop would work well, too. OG was 1.052, FG 1.009. I also used WLP080.

Thanks!

Did you do any additional steps for clarity? Lager, if so for how long? Gelatine or anything?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

bewbies posted:

Did you do any additional steps for clarity? Lager, if so for how long? Gelatine or anything?

Nope, nothing dramatic. I assume I used Irish Moss in the boil unless I forgot or something (it happens). I might have cold-crashed when the ferment was done, or I might have skipped it. Really, time and cold storage in the keg are all it takes to clear any beer, but I don't recall any special issues with this one.

I may have to brew it again soon, because it was pretty drat good.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
A little while back I ordered a Kegco 209SS kegerator for a bar build that I'm doing in my kitchen. Due to general busyness I haven't ordered the cabinetry for it yet, but I've finally gotten a quote on them and plan to order them soon. Has anyone turned a standalone kegerator into an under-counter one? I'm not trying to make it look super built in like the flush mounted Summit models are, but I want to put the unit under the counter and mount the tap on top. I know that I'll need to make a sleeve for the top to make sure that air can flow to the tower and not just escape, but my big questions is airflow for the refrigerator. I know that it's going to need some room for ventilation, but how much is needed and should I consider some sort of small fan to push the warm air out? I'll have one free power outlet to plug in some form of air circulation should I need it. I know I'll need a few inches behind it and I'll probably leave 1-2" on each side to make sure air can get out. The counter should sit about an inch above the refrigerator as well so air should be able to flow on top. Has anyone done something like this? I want to make sure I plan ahead so I can be proactive rather than reactive.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Whalley posted:

What's a fairly easy style of beer to make? My first run of beer came from a lovely stir-in-a-pound-of-sugar kits, I'd rather make something that involves actual nerdery, and I'm too impatient to wait for The Complete Joy of Homebrewing to arrive at my door. My wife and I drink everything; she wants me to make something vaguely like Magic Hat's Dandelion Ale, only nicer - would something like that (a floral, somewhat sweet, lightly vegetable IPA) be within the range of a simple just-starting-out hobbyist or should I just google a generic pale ale recipe?

There are a lot of styles in sort of the meat of the homebrew space that are pretty easy. Hefeweizen may be the very simplest, but you can do pale ale, IPA, stout, porter, and so on. Something as specific as a clone of a particular beer might not be the very best thing to try until you get a few batches under your belt, but you can certainly start gathering information about the beer you want to get to.

And check this out:
http://howtobrew.com

That's a free, online edition of John Palmer's book, How To Brew. A lot of people like it better than TNCJOHB, as not everyone like Charlie Papazian's very relaxed style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Moved a Flander's sour to secondary, soaked the carboy (the entire thing) in Oxi for 2 days, rinsed it, filled it with StarSan and let it sit for about 2 hours ... and somehow the next beer I transferred into it (directly from the kettle using none of the same equipment) got a brett infection.

Trying to figure out what possibly could have gone wrong. Tastes good at least. :unsmith:

In better news, got the last piece of my kegging puzzle last night for my birthday (20# co2 tank) so the only thing left to do is build the collar and mount all this poo poo. I should be kegging like a big boy by this weekend!