Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

Jeffrey posted:

Nah, I think the many-faced god is out. Jaqen H'qar (sp?) talked about the red god in the show so I assume they combined them.

What he chooses to call the god does not matter. It is explained in Baavos that the many faced god is present in every god. The first time he mentioned him by name as I recall. They are burning alive in the Wagon. Perhaps that is the reckoning for the symmetry. Or perhaps he choose the Red god R'hllor as he was using a Braavos face and voice as cover, and the worship of R'hllor is much more common across the narrow sea then in the seven kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd still like to see what Asshai is like. I mean I know it's just Australia of... whatever planet ASOIAF takes place on, but it'd be interesting to see the Red God cult's headquarters.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
I am not sure if we will see Asshai as it is far from the current events, but I am sure we will see tons of Dragon glass from it in the near future.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sagnid posted:

I am not sure if we will see Asshai as it is far from the current events, but I am sure we will see tons of Dragon glass from it in the near future.

Nothing at all of the kaleeesssi storyline has fuckall to do with current events either, but there you are.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

Nothing at all of the kaleeesssi storyline has fuckall to do with current events either, but there you are.

That is highly debatable as Danny's story is part of the main plot. To clarify my point was that Asshai is so far out of the way that I cannot see why any of the current protagonist would venture there. I am sure if GRRM wants to cater to these questions he will just show us a glimpse of Melisandre past, or one of the new confirmed protagonist will be/venture to Yiti/The Shadowlands.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Got really drunk one summer night and ad-libbed the ending to all the storylines while finishing off a pack of cigarettes with another fan. Managed to get the Iron Bank to be a conduit of dragonglass swords from Asshai or something.

Really the most fun I've had regarding this horrifying rape series since 2002.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I think someone in here did something like that and wrote about Mireen being bombed out of existence.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

Kafka Esq. posted:

Got really drunk one summer night and ad-libbed the ending to all the storylines while finishing off a pack of cigarettes with another fan. Managed to get the Iron Bank to be a conduit of dragonglass swords from Asshai or something.

Really the most fun I've had regarding this horrifying rape series since 2002.

God this sounds amazing. I need to find a local neckbeard, buy a few boxes of wine and do this.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sagnid posted:

That is highly debatable as Danny's story is part of the main plot.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sagnid posted:

That is highly debatable as Danny's story is part of the main plot.

I think not. The biggest trope subversion of all - the chosen one never bothers to go to westeros and just chills in meereen for a long time, eventually conquering the summer isles.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Will we ever learn about who the Mountain is? Why does he remain loyal all this time? Is he a incest baby of some mountain god? Or just evil guy's evil henchman stereotype?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, he's Frankenstein's monster now.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Jeffrey posted:

I think not. The biggest trope subversion of all - the chosen one never bothers to go to westeros and just chills in meereen for a long time, eventually conquering the summer isles.

The twist at the end of the series is that nothing in westeros mattered because they're just conquered by the ice elf zombies and Dany bumbling around the middle east was the real main plot all along.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Will we ever learn about who the Mountain is? Why does he remain loyal all this time? Is he a incest baby of some mountain god? Or just evil guy's evil henchman stereotype?

Raging dope fiend. If he can't keep in good with a lord who has a maester to keep him in gear he'd have to go cold turkey.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Littlefinger in the show basically puts the point on it - Gregor's a big kid who got a taste for brutality early. Didn't particularly care how it made him look if he was actually the scariest motherfucker around. And it's hard to argue that he was successful, not many people get to rape and kill queens, princes and princesses and get away with it. He's probably not too particularly bright at anything other than small group tactics, and he's just a blunt instrument for Tywin, who thinks using Gregor early and often will give him an easy out for arguing the brutality of war. Not to mention, Tywin's methods are absolutely scorched earth, it's what the family song is all about; he would recognize the talent that Gregor had for being terrifying and effective.

Sagnid posted:

God this sounds amazing. I need to find a local neckbeard, buy a few boxes of wine and do this.
It is exactly the kind of wind down you need when you're sick of being a normal person!

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

He's actually an Archmaester from the Citadel and the most articulate character in the books but he wears his chain under his armor so you never notice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Oberyn/Gregor fight should be quite entertaining in the show, I suppose. Unless they have him rape Elia Martell's corpse/skeleton during the fight for some reason. I could see that happening in this show.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Rosscifer posted:

He's actually an Archmaester from the Citadel and the most articulate character in the books but he wears his chain under his armor so you never notice.

So he's not a secret Tard?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

Raging dope fiend. If he can't keep in good with a lord who has a maester to keep him in gear he'd have to go cold turkey.

I'm waiting for the ultimate redemption arc, the ZOMBIE GREGOR chapters. Where we find out The Mountain is basically like Lenny from Of Mice and Men, but mixed in with the jow/sorrow of Flowers for Algernon, and at the end we all weep fat tears for the Mountain that Rode... and call GRRM the American Tolkien-Steinbeck.

Edit: Tywin will be shown to be the George Milton character, caring for Gregor through his pain induced madness, and protecting him from the cruelties of a Westeros that is poorly equipped to handle a man with a simple mind, a large body, and an even larger heart....

kcroy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 22, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Cleganebowl is coming and it will be glorious.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Yesterday a friend asked if the books really get as bad as he's heard. I said that if I told him how stupid Bran's story line gets he wouldn't believe me. He then guessed "Does he turn into an animal?", I didn't have the heart to tell him not only is it more ridiculous than that, but Jon is the one who (probably) turns into an animal.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Tea Bone posted:

Yesterday a friend asked if the books really get as bad as he's heard. I said that if I told him how stupid Bran's story line gets he wouldn't believe me. He then guessed "Does he turn into an animal?", I didn't have the heart to tell him not only is it more ridiculous than that, but Jon is the one who (probably) turns into an animal.

Better tell him he's barking up the wrong tree with that theory.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

420 Gank Mid posted:

:golfclap:

How about this for a thread title -> ASOIAF: Series of Unfortunate Rapes

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

Bran will become the hero everyone is rooting for ..

but seriously the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure they are going to use Bran to show us the Tower of Joy scene.

Jeffrey posted:

Nah, I think the many-faced god is out. Jaqen H'qar (sp?) talked about the red god in the show so I assume they combined them.

I thought he said something like.. "Sweet Red God of War".. I didn't take that to mean literally THE RED GOD, but rather that his god was one of blood and murder ( which the many faced god is, right? ).

kcroy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 22, 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Saying that Bran's story becomes stupid is indeed 'barking up the wrong tree', when did he ever have a story? In 5 books the boy had like 6 interesting scenes, the ones in AGOT where interesting mostly as an expository device, which can also be said about the ones in ADWD.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

A loving time travelling tree. Still gets me every time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bran's story takes up so little time compared to Dany and Tyrion running in circles I can't hate it too much. It's more interesting than wondering who Tyrion's kidnapper this chapter will be.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

A loving time travelling tree. Still gets me every time.

Well it's that or more rape. Well, not mind rape, rape rape.

Bran is going to do something bad as Hodor isn't he.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

hobbesmaster posted:

Well it's that or more rape. Well, not mind rape, rape rape.

Bran is going to do something bad as Hodor isn't he.

My guess is the tree rape from Evil Dead

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

kcroy posted:

I'm waiting for the ultimate redemption arc, the ZOMBIE GREGOR chapters. Where we find out The Mountain is basically like Lenny from Of Mice and Men, but mixed in with the jow/sorrow of Flowers for Algernon, and at the end we all weep fat tears for the Mountain that Rode... and call GRRM the American Tolkien-Steinbeck.

Edit: Tywin will be shown to be the George Milton character, caring for Gregor through his pain induced madness, and protecting him from the cruelties of a Westeros that is poorly equipped to handle a man with a simple mind, a large body, and an even larger heart....

The Mountain, starring Billy Bob Thorton as Gregor Slingblade Clegane

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Contra Calculus posted:

I think someone in here did something like that and wrote about Mireen being bombed out of existence.

The best thing in this thread posted:

Daenerys reached up to stroke Rhaegal under his chin, but the dragon snapped its head away, staring up into the sky. Viserion and Drogon followed his gaze. Their mouths dropped open, flames roaring impotently into the sky -
White light.

______

The primary batteries of the Glaive fell silent. The frigate reached out with auspex scans and astropathic probes, peering into the devastation that it had wrought on the planet below. The gunnery crews had done their job well; the targeted city, a veritable nest of Chaos, had been completely annihilated. No psychic trace of the minions of Ruinous Powers remained.
"Well done, shipmaster," Lord General Enoch Almsava commented. The precise strike would leave only the wild northlands as a haven of the Great Enemy, and that would be the job for troopers on the ground.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ron Jeremy posted:

When maester luwin delivers lysa's message to cat in her bedchamber, she and ned had just gotten done loving and Gurm never misses an opportunity to graphically describe cum. In this case, it was dripping down her leg. Gurm has her say something like "he delivered my children. It's nothing he hasn't seen before."

Sorry to bring this up from a few pages back but I cannot find any mention of, uh any dripping going on in the passage you mention, which reads as follows:

quote:

“Perhaps I should withdraw,” Maester Luwin said.
“No,” Catelyn said. “We will need your counsel.” She threw back the furs and climbed from the bed. The night air was as cold as the grave on her bare skin as she padded across the room.
Maester Luwin averted his eyes. Even Ned looked shocked. “What are you doing?” he asked.
“Lighting a fire,” Catelyn told him. She found a dressing gown and shrugged into it, then knelt over the cold hearth.
“Maester Luwin-” Ned began.
“Maester Luwin has delivered all my children,” Catelyn said. “This is no time for false modesty.” She slid the paper in among the kindling and placed the heavier logs on top of it.

I am not a native English speaker though so perhaps something escapes me?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Mr. Neutron posted:

Sorry to bring this up from a few pages back but I cannot find any mention of, uh any dripping going on in the passage you mention, which reads as follows:

I am not a native English speaker though so perhaps something escapes me?
I hate to know this, but she says something about feeling his seed inside her and hoping it quickens.

Anyone who has had sex knows what happens when you stand up after. (nobody in this here thread)

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
There's always a bit of cum in every chapter Gurm writes.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

This was the Warhammer 40K crossover wasn't it?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

kcroy posted:

I thought he said something like.. "Sweet Red God of War".. I didn't take that to mean literally THE RED GOD, but rather that his god was one of blood and murder ( which the many faced god is, right? ).
I'm almost positive he says "the red god". Also, Melisandre and Thoros both say valar morghulis - I'm pretty sure they are combined for the purposes of the show. We'll see I guess, how close is Arya to Braavos?

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Kafka Esq. posted:

Littlefinger in the show basically puts the point on it - Gregor's a big kid who got a taste for brutality early. Didn't particularly care how it made him look if he was actually the scariest motherfucker around. And it's hard to argue that he was successful, not many people get to rape and kill queens, princes and princesses and get away with it. He's probably not too particularly bright at anything other than small group tactics, and he's just a blunt instrument for Tywin, who thinks using Gregor early and often will give him an easy out for arguing the brutality of war. Not to mention, Tywin's methods are absolutely scorched earth, it's what the family song is all about; he would recognize the talent that Gregor had for being terrifying and effective.

It also gets pointed out that he suffers from severe and persistent headaches. Coupled with his unusual size, it seems likely he has some kind of brain tumor and has difficulty controlling his anger.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2610015/Game-Of-Thrones-author-George-RR-Martin-hits-TV-shows-infamous-crypt-rape-scene.html

"butterfly effect"

What the christ?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
http://www.avclub.com/article/george-rr-martin-nikolaj-coster-waldau-and-directo-203689

quote:

Meanwhile, Coster-Waldau, who plays Jaime on the show, offers his own interpretation at both IGN and The Daily Beast. He admits that it is “hosed up,” but believes that it’s a manifestation of Martin’s vision. “That’s certainly George R.R. Martin at his best, at his finest hour,” he tells IGN. “Of course [Jaime] is forcing himself,”

:lol:

Coster-waldau is a man who gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the GURM writes for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour.