Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Oggumogoggum posted:

This mod will flesh out some of the existing incomplete sets, at least a little.

Oh hey, awesome, I was just looking at Quorn's stuff here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Mortimer posted:

"just drop X on top of Y" is never a good idea! You should at least have some idea what you're merging together and replacing.

Well it worked, though I had to re-download the GCD Lean since it was failing to load with missing script errors.

Chocolate Pack Feedback:

Good picks overall! I do have an issue with two of them though:

-The Seagulls are dumb as they seem to make the NPCs all stare up at the sky in unison randomly.
-The Service Requirements mod is way too restrictive, especially combined with the rather fickle nature of GCD's stat leveling. I turned it off after getting frustrated being a point or two off in stat requirements and hoping GCD decides to pick the one I needed next. I'm sort of worried turning it off ~6 hours into a savegame will gently caress me later, but it doesn't seem to be crashing any more than before...

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
k I don't think I can handle legit Morrowind's poo poo combat any more. Anyone played with Morroblivion recently have feedback on the experience or suggested mods to complement it?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

boho posted:

k I don't think I can handle legit Morrowind's poo poo combat any more. Anyone played with Morroblivion recently have feedback on the experience or suggested mods to complement it?

One of the top mods on Morrowind Nexus makes it so PC/NPC races always hit with their weapon attacks by changing boosting the attack chance by 1000. It doesn't affect creatures though. I haven't used it myself, but it exists.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

awesome a new version of MCA came out (a few weeks ago) with all the terrible anime hair and other bad bloated things removed

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/6006/

quote:

- Tweaked all scripts to improve performance, and removed many unnecessary ones.
- MCA is no longer dependent on 'Westly's Master Head Pack', and uses only vanilla
heads and hairs (aside from a few custom heads assigned to companions). Download a
pluginless replacer if you want pretty heads again.
- Changed the way NPC parties spawn to improve performance.
- Removed Rangers and Bounty Hunters.
- Warriors and Archers no longer spawn with mismatched armour.
- Rogues no longer carry shields.
- Added some new tabards and helmets for the Knights to wear.
- Removed all Undead creatures. Download 'The Undead v4.0' to bring them back.
- Created new icons for the Sixth House equipment.
- Fixed the Daedric Bat bug in the Tamriel Rebuilt add-on, and an issue where some
NPCs in interiors wouldn't spawn when they were supposed to.
- Created add-ons for Westly's 'Khajiit Diversity Revamped' and 'Fine Clothiers of
Tamriel', Korana's 'Peasant Gowns Replacer' and Illuminiel's 'Oh My Goddess'.
- Numerous other tweaks and fixes.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Tried to do a little Junior Detective-level modding last night and add extra Favored Skills to different factions, but it looks like the Construction Set limit is 7 per faction. Can someone confirm if that's right or if I'm doing something wrong?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

boho posted:

Your combat is poo poo too ("legit" morrowind as opposed to?)

suck it up and learn character creation, morroblivion sucks harder than diceroll combat

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Mortimer posted:

Your combat is poo poo too ("legit" morrowind as opposed to?)

suck it up and learn character creation, morroblivion sucks harder than diceroll combat

Legit Morrowind as opposed to Morroblivion.

Mortimer posted:

Is the tint on those rose-colored glasses even street legal?

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

boho posted:

I hate this line of thinking. If you can't stand the RPG combat mechanics in Morrowind, why not just play Skyrim instead of modding out the gameplay? I'm sick of people complaining about things like making a high elf spellcaster with all magic skills then getting pissy when they can't hit a mudcrab with a two-handed axe. The combat is perfectly fine if you actually pay attention to your race, class and star sign when creating your character.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Less bitching about how Morrowind sucks/rules, more bitching about how I'm too stupid to even mod properly, what am I even doing, did I even bother to read a manual?

MILF destroyer
Feb 6, 2014
I savescummed my way through an acting gig until the game decided all my possible lines were going to send one of the audience into a murderous rage. Last save before was 2 hours so I had to divine intervention the hell out, then sneak back in to the area. Came back days later and the drat guy is still fuming and trying to kill me. Can't wait to come back and kill this stunlocking motherfucker.

Started to experiment with some enchanting and I now have a DB head piece that paralyzes on hit. I love the idea that my character can headbutt things so hard it paralyzes them. I've never done spellmaking before and initially I thought it wasn't going to let me make stupid combinations of spells, but no, it did, and I did and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

boho posted:

I don't really think you can bring out the "rose-tinted goggles" bullshit when you're trying to defend Oblivion anymore. Oblivion is old as poo poo and it has only become more and more apparent over the years how much of an aborted mess it was.

Also, I forget if the screenshots were posted in this thread or the GBS/DDRD Morrowind thread, but Morroblivion is impressively ugly.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't really think you can bring out the "rose-tinted goggles" bullshit when you're trying to defend Oblivion anymore. Oblivion is old as poo poo and it has only become more and more apparent over the years how much of an aborted mess it was.

Also, I forget if the screenshots were posted in this thread or the GBS/DDRD Morrowind thread, but Morroblivion is impressively ugly.

MILF destroyer posted:

I've never done spellmaking before and initially I thought it wasn't going to let me make stupid combinations of spells, but no, it did, and I did and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.

Morrowind.txt

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I hate this line of thinking. If you can't stand the RPG combat mechanics in Morrowind, why not just play Skyrim instead of modding out the gameplay?
'cause the worst part of Morrowind is its actual gameplay?

quote:

I'm sick of people complaining about things like making a high elf spellcaster with all magic skills then getting pissy when they can't hit a mudcrab with a two-handed axe. The combat is perfectly fine if you actually pay attention to your race, class and star sign when creating your character.
Norn, Magic Focus, Endurance/Luck, birthsign +20 Luck, +10 Sanctuary (modded Thief), Major skills do include combat things (Spear, Medium Armor). Sure, I could have squeezed more min/max out of the whole thing, but it's pretty far from High Elf Sorcerer with a chitin battleaxe. I still miss a rat 10 times in a row despite the spearhead clipping straight through the fucker's skull and move about as fast as your average Rascal-rider in Wal-Mart. This mandatory early period of unfun gameplay to make later gameplay seem super fun is what we call "fun tax," and it's Bad Design with a capital B and D.

Gobblecoque posted:

Whoa, hold your horses, I'm not defending Oblivion at all. Its combat is more engaging out of the box and it's far more accessible. That's about it. Morrowind and Skyrim both blow it out of the water.

Now, has anyone tried Morroblivion recently?

boho fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 22, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It isn't rose-tinted goggles. Morrowind is an old game and mechanically is inferior, what people love about it is the world and such.

I would strongly recommend against Morroblivion not because it's mechanically stronger, but because it is what it is, Morrowind in a new game. I haven't played it, but I'm guessing it's an inferior version of the world in a mechanically stronger game. Dialogue forced in that was written with regards to Morrowind, losses of items, etc.

I'd recommend installing three mods, a faster movement mod and one of the aforementioned 'always hit' mods, and probably a mod that makes it so you can cast without sheathing weapon. Once you do that it should solve most of the major issues new players have, being used to the gameplay-bettter wise later games.

Plus Morroblivion doesn't have support for Morrowind mods, and if you're ignoring Morrowind mods you're just playing the game wrong :colbert:.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

boho posted:

Norn, Magic Focus, Endurance/Luck, birthsign +20 Luck, +10 Sanctuary (modded Thief), Major skills do include combat things (Spear, Medium Armor). Sure, I could have squeezed more min/max out of the whole thing, but it's pretty far from High Elf Sorcerer with a chitin battleaxe. I still miss a rat 10 times in a row despite the spearhead clipping straight through the fucker's skull and move about as fast as your average Rascal-rider in Wal-Mart. This mandatory early period of unfun gameplay to make later gameplay seem super fun is what we call "fun tax," and it's Bad Design with a capital B and D.

It sounds like you're trying to do combat with an exhausted fatigue bar. Have your character rest for an in-game hour before going fighting and carry some food with you. You might not have talked to the NPCs much yet, but like half of the advice they give you is to not fight while tired.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Gobblecoque posted:

It sounds like you're trying to do combat with an exhausted fatigue bar. Have your character rest for an in-game hour before going fighting and carry some food with you. You might not have talked to the NPCs much yet, but like half of the advice they give you is to not fight while tired.

Oh yeah for sure. I turn on Capslock so I can at least move like my Rascal's battery isn't dying, which means I either have to pop consumables for a rat on the road or just stand there getting attacked for 30 seconds as I catch my breath (note the Service Requirements means it's much harder to find the Restore Fatigue spell effect). If I'm in a dungeon, yeah, I don't sprint around. I still think the fatigue system is crap beyond being able to kind of sort of be a non-lethal character (unarmed, damage fatigue, whatever). For the other 99% of combat interactions it's a horrible player-hostile mechanic.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

boho posted:

Oh yeah for sure. I turn on Capslock so I can at least move like my Rascal's battery isn't dying, which means I either have to pop consumables for a rat on the road or just stand there getting attacked for 30 seconds as I catch my breath (note the Service Requirements means it's much harder to find the Restore Fatigue spell effect). If I'm in a dungeon, yeah, I don't sprint around. I still think the fatigue system is crap beyond being able to kind of sort of be a non-lethal character (unarmed, damage fatigue, whatever). For the other 99% of combat interactions it's a horrible player-hostile mechanic.

Try Speed and Stamina. It's what I use. Fatigue doesn't drop while running, and your speed is incresed.

As much as I love Morrowind, there are things about it now I just can't live with. This mod isn't even really a cheat, it's just a removal of the tediousness that is dealing with fatigue while traveling. If you wanted to you could walk, pop potions, etc. But just why bother when mods can solve all issues?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

edit: whoops, late reply

Yeah, the fatigue system is seriously a bad design choice, and they correctly rectified it in the later games. Slow movespeed and punishing you for running were a really bad double whammy.

Stexils fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 22, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sky Shadowing posted:

Try Speed and Stamina. It's what I use. Fatigue doesn't drop while running, and your speed is incresed.

As much as I love Morrowind, there are things about it now I just can't live with. This mod isn't even really a cheat, it's just a removal of the tediousness that is dealing with fatigue while traveling. If you wanted to you could walk, pop potions, etc. But just why bother when mods can solve all issues?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I'm trying to create a new spear that uses the mesh/icon of the Spear of Bitter Mercy, but I can't find where the mesh is located in data files. I'm thinking it's because it's a vanilla asset, and since it's not been replaced, there's nothing to find. Any kind goons feel like helping a noob out?

Edit: I can create a spear with a model that looks identical but is named "W_art_spear_mercy_S.nif" instead of "W_art_spear_mercy.nif", and there's no .tga named "W_spear_mercy_S.tga, only "w_spear_mercy.dds". I think this latter thing is what's causing the spear I make to be all hosed, since it shows just like the regular one, but it's not animated correctly.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 23, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

I'm trying to create a new spear that uses the mesh/icon of the Spear of Bitter Mercy, but I can't find where the mesh is located in data files. I'm thinking it's because it's a vanilla asset, and since it's not been replaced, there's nothing to find. Any kind goons feel like helping a noob out?

Edit: I can create a spear with a model that looks identical but is named "W_art_spear_mercy_S.nif" instead of "W_art_spear_mercy.nif", and there's no .tga named "W_spear_mercy_S.tga, only "w_spear_mercy.dds". I think this latter thing is what's causing the spear I make to be all hosed, since it shows just like the regular one, but it's not animated correctly.

To use default textures/meshes you need the construction set CD to load them from. It's weird.

alternatively the easy method is to edit the spear of bitter mercy and change the ID. It'll say "do you want to make a new item?" and hit yes. You now have another spear of bitter mercy with another id you can edit at will.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Mortimer posted:

To use default textures/meshes you need the construction set CD to load them from. It's weird.

alternatively the easy method is to edit the spear of bitter mercy and change the ID. It'll say "do you want to make a new item?" and hit yes. You now have another spear of bitter mercy with another id you can edit at will.

Definitely using the easy way. Thanks!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sky Shadowing posted:

This turned out to be great -- I picked the middle setting one and it's nice.

I tried using a "Attacks always hit" mod but it straight up doesn't work with MGO, but combat is slightly less frustrating since I'm at full Fatigue at the start of most fights.

Question about the Morrowind Code Patch: I want to try the fast-cast feature of MCP but I'm worried that won't end well. Can I just run the MCP installer/configuration again to set the option, or will that royally gently caress me up?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
MGSO Options is what you want. Every time you want to change something, it'll just re-do whatever what it's been doing to the exe, plus or minus whatever changes you've made. I don't think the fast cast option should break anything, but I've always just turned it on on a fresh install.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mooktastical posted:

You can try using BSA Browser or BSA Unpacker and find it in Morrowind.bsa file. That's where all the vanilla files are stored. It's in /data folder and unpacker is here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/...review%3D&pUp=1

There could be some better programs out there, I got this one by quick googling.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I was just telling a friend that I want Bethesda and FromSoft to team up and make an Elder Scrolls game with Dark Souls combat and he goes "The Elder Souls" and now I'm mad I didn't think of that name.

Also, to my earlier post, can someone confirm that you can only add 7 favored skills to a faction in the construction set? Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Man, Choclate pack is the perfect storm of loving you when it comes to guilds:

-Wakim's makes it way harder to advance in guilds with extremely strict stat requirements.

-Service Requirements denies basic facilities to non-guild or low-rank members, despite in-game dialog specifying things like the Mage Guild providing teleportation services for anyone who can pay. MY IMMERSION

-BTB or whatever the leveling mod is seems to care precisely fuckall about what stats it chooses to raise when it decides to raise stats. It seems to be slightly dependent on the skills you raised last but still has totally unpredictable streaks (oh you dropped 2k grinding Alchemy from 10 to 25? Here's 2 Speed and 1 Luck.) You won't be using those Mage Guild teleporters without paying out the nose for awhile, fucker!

How the holy hell do you raise Persuasion, Mercantile, and Security? They seem like the biggest grinds in the game. I almost wish I'd taken them as primary. At least I can stand in a corner and spam spells for an hour to make those better. The rest require the ultra tedious persuasion interface, a zillion transactions since it doesn't appear to be based on the size of the transaction, just the raw number you've done (am I right there? and Security is entirely down to how much locked poo poo that you can realistically get away with picking.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I'm gonna remove Service Requirements from the next release, I think. It's a cool idea in theory but using it is actually pretty lame.

GCD tends toward giving you stat gains based on the primary stat of the skill you raise, but deviates from that sometimes. It can be pretty tough to say "I want to increase my strength by 10 points" and actually accomplish that quickly. You kinda have to play the long game with stats.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Gobblecoque posted:

Oblivion looks pretty decent these days:

But Morroblivion is a tremendous pain in the rear end to get running with more up-to-date QoL mods. It is kind of fun for a novelty run but you better either be very good at Oblivion modding, or ready for constant crashes because there is not a lot of documentation on what is reliable to run alongside Morroblivion. Like, its nice to see the world rendered in a different way with better animations and better looking characters (there's even mods to replicate the dialog system) but a fully visually tricked out Morrowind is incredibly impressive on its own and if you want to just make combat less tedious in the beginning just console yourself +50 attack or something.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Oggumogoggum posted:

I'm gonna remove Service Requirements from the next release, I think. It's a cool idea in theory but using it is actually pretty lame.

GCD tends toward giving you stat gains based on the primary stat of the skill you raise, but deviates from that sometimes. It can be pretty tough to say "I want to increase my strength by 10 points" and actually accomplish that quickly. You kinda have to play the long game with stats.

Just for the record, I did end up experiencing reproducable crashes when I disabled service requirements, so I'm not sure it's possible to uproot it entirely without a fresh restart.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

boho posted:

Security is entirely down to how much locked poo poo that you can realistically get away with picking.

There's a lock spell that's pretty cheap.

edit: or possibly not, I don't know what chocolate mod does to spell prices.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

There's a lock spell that's pretty cheap.

Oh cool, thanks for the tip. I must not have run into it yet. I've never actually played Morrowind much past the Balmora region so lots is new to me.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

boho posted:

Oh cool, thanks for the tip. I must not have run into it yet. I've never actually played Morrowind much past the Balmora region so lots is new to me.

A lock spell should be sold by the Dunmer woman on the bottom floor of the Caldera Mages Guild. It's weak, but that makes it all the better for practice, and you should be able to cast it even if you suck at alteration.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

armoredgorilla posted:

Tried to do a little Junior Detective-level modding last night and add extra Favored Skills to different factions, but it looks like the Construction Set limit is 7 per faction. Can someone confirm if that's right or if I'm doing something wrong?

I checked and it looks like this is the case for me as well.

boho posted:

This turned out to be great -- I picked the middle setting one and it's nice.

I tried using a "Attacks always hit" mod but it straight up doesn't work with MGO, but combat is slightly less frustrating since I'm at full Fatigue at the start of most fights.

Question about the Morrowind Code Patch: I want to try the fast-cast feature of MCP but I'm worried that won't end well. Can I just run the MCP installer/configuration again to set the option, or will that royally gently caress me up?

I've set options in MCP before without going through the MGSO panel (especially after updating it) and didn't have anything bad happen. YMMV, but it shouldn't be a problem for something like swift casting.

boho posted:

...and move about as fast as your average Rascal-rider in Wal-Mart.

What are you talking about? You can move plenty fast in this game. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZm8qmt3qhk

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I checked and it looks like this is the case for me as well.

Thanks for taking a look!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

boho posted:

You can get it in Vivec, Tel Mora, and Caldera. The only problem is casting it raises your alteration, which if you have high alteration why would you need security in the first place. Mercantile is easy enough to raise if you just sell one item at a time every time, and gently caress raising persuasion just in general.

edit: I just remembered, use this spell in dungeons or somewhere out of the way, as it flags as a crime if you pick a door you just locked if some random npc spots you doing it in town. Also fun fact according to uesp you can lock sacks.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 25, 2014

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Geez fortify skill would be the most broken power if it existed in a Morrowind without alchemy. Things you can do with custom fortify skill spells:

• Raise literally anyone's disposition to 100 for free with 'fortify persuasion 200 for 2 seconds'
  • Get ridiculous deals with a mercantile version
  • Cast any spell in the game with 'fortify [spell skill] 100 for 5 seconds', or just cast a more powerful fortify skill spell for recursive buffing
  • Easily train up any weapon skill (or block) from 5 for free using 'fortify [weapon skill] 40 for 30 seconds' (weapon skills still level at the base rate)
  • Pickpocket anyone using chameleon and fortify sneak 200 for 3 seconds
  • Punch people into the ground with 'fortify hand-to-hand' for 10 seconds

The only limiting factor is you need pretty good restoration, around 50+. Restoration is pretty easy to train up though.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
With constant effect Fortify Restoration enchantments, you can boost the maximum power of all of your Fortify spells, while not impacting the cast chance.

My favorite is acrobatics. Jumping across half of a cell in one bound is the only way to travel. Levitation is slow and boring in comparison. Plus, halfway clipping into the ceiling every time you need to go up a Telvanni levitation tube never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schlacht
Nov 18, 2013
I consider myself a morrowind veteran (if such a term even exists) but one thing I never known whether it works or not is if you can take a dungeon as your home?

By this I mean, in Morrowind compared to other Elder Scrolls, if you wanted a house you could simply kill the owner and just drop all your stuff in there. Heck, you probably didn't even need to kill them.

So my question is, if I kill every bandit in a cave or any type of dungeon, can I drop all my loot in there without having to worry about the dungeon resetting and my ancient artifacts disapearing?