Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Gamecube also had 2 Pikmin games, F-Zero GX and Mario Kart Double Dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's fair to say that Nintendo's first party output on the GC was better than on the N64, but third party support was just as bad if not worse

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

icantfindaname posted:

I think it's fair to say that Nintendo's first party output on the GC was better than on the N64, but third party support was just as bad if not worse

It was actually kind of better. It actually got a variety of genres where if you were playing on N64, your choices for an RPG were Quest 64 or Aidyn Chronicles.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

If you're counting Rare as neither first nor third party, then yeah this is fair to say.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Wii U is getting a new Fatal Frame game :( Stop putting out games I actually want assholes it makes this whole thing terribly conflicting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Didn't they stop releasing Fatal Frame games here anyways?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Suspicious Dish posted:

All those third-party games were great on the Gamecube, just look at all these third-party games!

*posts mostly first-party titles*

Haha whoops I'm kind of dumb. I just meant to say that the Gamecube had some awesome third party games that were fun like SSX Tricky when N64 never got poo poo like that.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Equilibrium posted:

Wii U is getting a new Fatal Frame game :( Stop putting out games I actually want assholes it makes this whole thing terribly conflicting.

That's a pretty nifty mid-tier game from a third-party developer. In other words, it's exactly the sort of thing that the Wii U needs more of to avoid going from "disaster" to "company killer."

It'll probably get cancelled in a year, or only be released in Japan or whatever.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope its more Fatal Frame 4 and gimmicky garbage like that 3DS one.

But it will probably be Japan only.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Hey hey.....the GC had Rogue Squadron 2.......and then RS3 not only had a new campaign...but the entirety of RS2 for split screen coop. Is Factor 5 still around? Or did they imploded after Lair?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PacoPepe posted:

Is Factor 5 still around? Or did they imploded after Lair?

Second one. All their contracts got cancelled following Lair and that was it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Second one. All their contracts got cancelled following Lair and that was it.

Just think, if they hadn't jumped ship to Sony then they wouldn't have had to suffer the indignity of having their game crash and burn because of a console manufacturer forcing them to use terrible and unpopular gimmicky controls in the name of promoting their newest piece of hardware.

Oh, wait.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
And whilst the rights have presumably defaulted back to Disney by now, they're already paying for the development of that F2P starfighter game, so giving Rogue Squadron over to anybody, let alone Nintendo, seems unlikely.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Alteisen posted:

But it will probably be Japan only.

And you wont even be able to import it due to region locking.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

MMOs are dumb and stupid and nobody plays them anymore and they all fail.

WoW is an exception that's costed studio after studio (and even a state at this point) lots of time and money.

What about Final Fantasy XIV?

Although a Nintendo MMO would probably be as obtuse and poorly designed as the original version.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

No lie. An exclusive fatal frame gets me one step closer to buying a wiiu in the future. But for course, only if it comes out of Japan. Otherwise we're still in the same situation that the wiiu won't have any more appeal worldwide and I don't think this will help their Japan numbers very much.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

icantfindaname posted:

Third party support was actually pretty decent on the Gamecube thanks to the porting between the PS2 and X-Box being available. GC still missed out on some big games (GTA3, San Andreas, for example) but overall it received a hell of a lot more support than then N64.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Didn't they stop releasing Fatal Frame games here anyways?

Allegedly four only didn't get a Western release because it had a huge bug that no-one wanted to bother sorting out, I don't know how true that is though.

I hope the Wii U game gets translated though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

That loving Sned posted:

What about Final Fantasy XIV?

Although a Nintendo MMO would probably be as obtuse and poorly designed as the original version.

That game was so bad when it came out that Square stopped charging a monthly fee and redesigned it. They charge for it now that it isn't total garbage. And this is after they'd made an MMO in the past that people enjoyed.

MMO's are bad ideas. An MMO on a console that still doesn't understand the internet is an even worse idea.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Soul Glo posted:

MMO's are bad ideas. An MMO on a console that still doesn't understand the internet is an even worse idea.

The market is just so oversaturated and the risk involved of it not working out is too high, since even if it fails, you still have to maintain whatever world you have going, which jacks up costs and probably costs more in the longrun. Honestly it's probably best for Nintendo to stick with the games that have a huge overworld and inject online pieces in it where possible.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
MMOs won't move consoles. The draw of the MMO is that it's a flat-rate low-cost subscription fee. Add in a $350 up-front fee and you've just killed any possible interest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soul Glo posted:

That game was so bad when it came out that Square stopped charging a monthly fee and redesigned it. They charge for it now that it isn't total garbage. And this is after they'd made an MMO in the past that people enjoyed.

That's generally true because the MMO market has been oversaturated forever, but a pokemon MMO would still print money.

Don't even pretend you wouldn't buy that poo poo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zaphod42 posted:

That's generally true because the MMO market has been oversaturated forever, but a pokemon MMO would still print money.

I don't have to. I don't play MMOs because I have no interest in collecting ten rat skins/ten Ratatas before the game lets me go collect ten hellcow skins/Militanks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zaphod42 posted:

Doesn't always work like that, I was the biggest loving Final Fantasy fanboy you'll ever see around the time FF 11 came out and I wouldn't touch it with someone else's bargepole.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'd buy an MMO Pokemon Snap I guess.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Surlaw posted:

I'd buy an MMO Pokemon Snap I guess.

A well developed photography MMO of any kind with like actual cool emergent stuff worth taking pictures of would be great. Would be really costly and difficult to get right though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I played MMOs when I was in high school, but now that I'm a grown rear end man I don't have time for games where you spend so much time doing nothing, and never really beat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zas posted:

A well developed photography MMO of any kind with like actual cool emergent stuff worth taking pictures of would be great. Would be really costly and difficult to get right though.

In what way would making a photography game online improve it? :psyduck:

Just make it a really good single player game.

That's literally the last thing on the planet that should go online.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zaphod42 posted:

In what way would making a photography game online improve it? :psyduck:

Between this and the ever-present Pokemon idea, people seem to use MMO to mean "make a giant world to explore but make it online so it doesn't feel empty"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just as another player's about to get a sick shot of a Snorlax you get in front of their camera and moon them and ruin everything.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress would pay for a Pokemon MMO? How would it even work?

Nintendo should make a Donkey Kong MMO instead.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Metroidvania Action Adventure Sandbox Pokemon MMO Board Game

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Movie

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Roguelike 8-bit Dark Souls

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Barudak posted:

Best idea in the thread so far.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

So, La-Mulana?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
gently caress MMOs in general, but it would be nice if Nintendo had a game that would provide new content semi-regularly via DLC or something. Game and Wario would have been perfect for some extra DLC. I was dumb enough to pay 40$ for it when it first came out and it wasn't even as close to as polished as Smooth Moves. I mean one of the few good games on there was Design and you could only draw three things. I remember I was excited the first time I played it because it was a really good use of the stylus and gamepad, but I was then utterly disappointed when I completed all of the content in 30 seconds. It would be nice if Nintendo could just release a new Game and Wario mini game (free or paid DLC) once a month to keep users coming back to the game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sakurazuka posted:

Allegedly four only didn't get a Western release because it had a huge bug that no-one wanted to bother sorting out, I don't know how true that is though.

I hope the Wii U game gets translated though.

Wasn't there like an Indonesian kickstarted Fatal Frame game? Was it any good?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

funzo2226 posted:

gently caress MMOs in general, but it would be nice if Nintendo had a game that would provide new content semi-regularly via DLC or something.

You know, it's funny you say that today, of all days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

And they did this with Fire Emblem: Awakening too, season pass and all. It must've worked to their advantage if they're doing it again.

• Locked thread