Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
SW was a lot more fun before damage 2.0 and proc builds were as deadly as they were hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KittyEmpress posted:

Hulk beat up literally everyone because he's angry enough to do so

Hulk should be best hero. One hit every boss!

He did do that for a whole week last year. I think every hero deserves one week of completely glitched out OP nonsense. I'm hoping something goes horribly wrong with wolverine's 52 rework that results in an amazing glitch to get me through these last ~17 cosmic levels.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

jubelio posted:

Don't take the trolling serious =)

I dont think anyone actually engaged in the SW conversation for real is expecting bewildering to remain as broken OP as it is now. My hope is that some of her other issues get fixed quickly once she doesnt have that nice safety net that has been acting as a screen to the other stuff.

This is pretty much it. Bewildering should be fixed, but since it's essentially the structure holding together an otherwise underwhelming character they would hopefully look at everything as a whole before just fixing it.

And going back to the patch note stuff, I think a lot of the problem isn't the patch notes specifically, but how many of the mechanics of the game are so hard to determine. nickhimself mentioned PVP (and it's not nearly as horrible as a lot of dudes make it out) but you can't really find what the abilities do in PVP. And there's no real combat log, so you can't see what's actually causing the most damage or if the typed damage actually means anything or anything. Power interactions, the various buffs...pretty much all of it is guesswork.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Good buffs all around, pumped for the weekend event. Have they said what it's going to be?

Also, anyone have an extra advanced pym's laying around? I could chuck some (bad) runes at you or something, dunno.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

alansmithee posted:

And going back to the patch note stuff, I think a lot of the problem isn't the patch notes specifically, but how many of the mechanics of the game are so hard to determine. nickhimself mentioned PVP (and it's not nearly as horrible as a lot of dudes make it out) but you can't really find what the abilities do in PVP. And there's no real combat log, so you can't see what's actually causing the most damage or if the typed damage actually means anything or anything. Power interactions, the various buffs...pretty much all of it is guesswork.

Its all part of the transparent information 'pie'

Things that a game with "serious raid encounters" should have:

Combat logs
Heavily customizable UI
UI support for every single buff and debuff in the game

Things that a game with "esports" should have:

Detailed match recaps
Replays
Kill recaps ("what killed me?")
Which side won on the match recap, LOL
Edit: this one is controversial, but if its gonna be a real esport, it cannot be a hacked up port of the pve experience.

Things that both should have:

Detailed and explained patch notes
Some sort of support for 3rd party data compiling sites(mh compendium is all word of mouth and screenshots)
A functional UI. Not even any frills, just simple stuff that they have yet to implement.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Savage Axe of Ares seems pretty cool, but I think for melee Ms. Marvel Gungnir looks to be the champ. I'm pretty excited for the hybrid gearing for her, hopefully that results in some buffs for her unique S4 and S5, which seem to lag a little bit behind the others.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Melee Ms. Marvel is still tossing around a few Energy attacks.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Babyface Mingo posted:

Good buffs all around, pumped for the weekend event. Have they said what it's going to be?

The list of events are in this post:
http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/85285/advance-patch-notes-for-this-week-9/p1

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is the first time I have regretted my ban. I want to click Insightful so bad.

Don't worry, the rest of us will soon be banned for spamming Insightful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So 7 daily gifts?

What was More Cowbell again?

Largepotato posted:

Don't worry, the rest of us will soon be banned for spamming Insightful.

We better Disagree a bunch to balance it out.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Melee Ms. Marvel is still tossing around a few Energy attacks.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine that she'd be anywhere near as effective without Photonic Wave, and the signature is a nice one point bonus, even if you're otherwise full melee.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, I couldn't imagine that she'd be anywhere near as effective without Photonic Wave, and the signature is a nice one point bonus, even if you're otherwise full melee.

Crashdown is also Energy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Signature is good because of the damage reduction and spamming of Photonic Wave to get back more HP, the damage is just a bonus.

I'm not sure anything in this patch is going to change how I gear the current melee Ms. Marvel. Still going to roll with Madame Hydra medallion in groups, Gungnir (which I finally got to R5).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RIP 25% life cores, gonna have to save eggs for life on hit now.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Swagger Dagger posted:

RIP 25% life cores, gonna have to save eggs for life on hit now.

If you take the extremes of a 35k hp colossus popping a health pack, thats something in the neighborhood of a 55% healing reduction per pack. With that much of a reduction I hope that they can adjust spike damage accordingly.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

Now it's your turn: what exactly will "prepare" you for spending $5 on a video game? I am picturing intense meditation and lots of crying

Well I have to find a barely clad virtual heroess that is good fapping material for one and....

Seriously, between BF4, D3 and this I am not sure how much playtime this will get, so I am trying to judge how well this game scratches my itch for hack and slash. I also have trouble understanding the different materials and crafting stuff and especially the stats. But once i figured it out, I may invest. I want me a spiderman...

Hopper fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 22, 2014

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Hopper posted:

I also have trouble understanding the different materials and crafting stuff and especially the stats. But once i figured it out, I may invest. I want me a spiderman...

This game is about big explosions and killing screens full of dudes. Regarding crafting and other materials, put your relics in your stash, leave the crafting materials on the ground(at high levels the max rank crafting materials will drop very frequently and are all backwards compatible). Dont sell stuff, donate to the crafting vendor. Get invited to the super group and ask in superchat if you should keep something if you are worried it might be valuable.

I can superinvite to the supergroup, usually in game in the evenings around 8:30pm eastern ign is same as forum name(any devs that want an invite are welcome too)

jubelio fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 22, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

How exactly does BOGO work? Specifically, is it like the random hero boxes where you can get an ult token for a hero you already have?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Zombie Samurai posted:

How exactly does BOGO work? Specifically, is it like the random hero boxes where you can get an ult token for a hero you already have?

Yes, you get a box that generates a random token.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

You get a free random hero box when you buy a hero with Gs ingame, so yes.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So what happens if I buy a hero and get the same hero/another I already have?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Righto. Guess I'll sit on my splinters for now.

I've got my Nightcrawler up to 50, and is it just me or does he scale really well? I had some trouble killing things in the 30-40 range when I switched my build to full AoE, but now he murders everything almost effortlessly. I remember some of the Superheroic and red terminal bosses being a huge pain as Cap, but NC can just poop Infernal Brimstone everywhere and run around in circles. I'm really kinda shocked at how much damage his AoEs do even now. Might have something to do with the face I've found his slot 1 unique THREE times, each being a huge upgrade in damage over the last one and other gear at that level.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hopper posted:

You get an ult token for that character.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Hopper posted:

You can use the token to upgrade their ultimate power instead of getting a new hero. :negative:

Zombie Samurai posted:

Righto. Guess I'll sit on my splinters for now.

I've got my Nightcrawler up to 50, and is it just me or does he scale really well? I had some trouble killing things in the 30-40 range when I switched my build to full AoE, but now he murders everything almost effortlessly. I remember some of the Superheroic and red terminal bosses being a huge pain as Cap, but NC can just poop Infernal Brimstone everywhere and run around in circles. I'm really kinda shocked at how much damage his AoEs do even now. Might have something to do with the face I've found his slot 1 unique THREE times, each being a huge upgrade in damage over the last one and other gear at that level.

Nightcrawler becomes a freaking beast once he's leveled up and has all his powers (and more spirit/better spirit management). He straight up murders whole screens of guys, drop Infernal Brimstone, Flash N Grab everything into it, if (IF) the elites aren't dead from all that damage and DOT then Shadowmeld and Dive Bomb, and now they are. For bosses I Shadowmeld, Dive Bomb them, Infernal Brimstone, then Swashbuckler Slash and they just melt.

Some people use X-Slash instead but I don't like being reliant on spirit to be able to do damage, and in places like X-Def where you might not necessarily be targeted Pym's Shrinking Serum is much less of a free spirit item. And Sashbuckler is pretty competitive with the inbuilt +Crit if you gear for crit rating/damage to begin with.

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

WarLocke posted:

Some people use X-Slash instead but I don't like being reliant on spirit to be able to do damage, and in places like X-Def where you might not necessarily be targeted Pym's Shrinking Serum is much less of a free spirit item. And Sashbuckler is pretty competitive with the inbuilt +Crit if you gear for crit rating/damage to begin with.

The last time someone posted some cold hard :spergin: numbers X-Slash was well over twice the total damage of Swashbuckler so I dunno if I'd call it competitive.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jowy posted:

The last time someone posted some cold hard :spergin: numbers X-Slash was well over twice the total damage of Swashbuckler so I dunno if I'd call it competitive.

X-Slash does no damage when you're out of spirit. :colbert:

You can kill things really loving fast with Swashbuckler, therefore it's 'competitive'. Sure you can go fastER with X-Slash, but I prefer knowing that I can ALWAYS be going 'fast enough' instead of being stuck not able to attack.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
This weekend is going to be amazing. Everyone talking about NC has nearly convinced me to pick him up during BOGO. I did pretty well with the last BOGO, but haven't even played any of the heroes I bought yet. I might have a small problem. (edit: actually a big problem, because giant Taskmaster owns)

If they manage to fix the bizarre performance issues it would really take this game to the next level for me. Sometimes it runs just fine, then other times it's a mess, I don't really get it. I've tried turning the graphics down, but as people have said, it actually seems to make things worse? Or at least not any better. That graphic update thing is still a WIP right? Not coming out this week?

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

Jowy posted:

Yeah, X-Slash is far and away his best sing target skill. He'd be better off just slotting X-slash and the one basic NC comes with a point in that generates spirit.

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

WarLocke posted:

You can kill things really loving fast with Swashbuckler, therefore it's 'competitive'. Sure you can go fastER with X-Slash, but I prefer knowing that I can ALWAYS be going 'fast enough' instead of being stuck not able to attack.

That's what PSS and River of the Soul are for. :v:

Seriously with both of those I can't recall the last time I ran out of spirit even in X-Defense. Swashbuckler stops being competitive when you start hitting things that actually have HP is the big problem with it, though I have both maxed in my current build because I'm too much of a lazy gently caress to retcon and it was from those horrible days back when I had neither PSS or a runeword to help with spirit issues.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoultryHammock posted:

Yeah, X-Slash is far and away his best sing target skill. He'd be better off just slotting X-slash and the one basic NC comes with a point in that generates spirit.

Or just 20-point a basic and still poo poo out damage like a furry blue cuisinart.

e: This is a stupid argument anyway. Do what you want, I'm just not going to rely on spirit-return mechanics to try to leverage a basicless build when the basics in question are plenty good enough themselves and the only time you can't use them is if you're dead. It also frees you up from having to devote multiple artifact/runeword/whatever slots just for making sure you have the spirit to skip using a basic attack, so you can instead use those slots to bulk up or increase your damage output.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 22, 2014

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

WarLocke posted:

It seems like the better option would be to fix the spirit issues and if you still manage to run out of spirit, to use a basic during those infrequent events. As far as freeing up item slots by not relying on spirit regen, there isn't really a single item that's going to provide you a factor of 2 in damage, not even close. But yes, you can do whatever you want, but there's definitely a more optimal solution to running out of spirit then to not use an attack that's roughly double the damage because it costs spirit.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 22, 2014

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
So obviously the numbers aren't entered or estimated here, but I've updated all of the medallions to be changed so everyone can start planning out what they're going to use once this patch rolls out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That's really cool, I hope it opens up a lot more of them to be viable.
EDIT: Ahahaha they finally got around to forum banning me. It'd be cool if it were better implemented than you just can't log in. Does that mean I won't be able to redeem any codes if they do them this weekend?

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 22, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Or just 20-point a basic and still poo poo out damage like a furry blue cuisinart.

e: This is a stupid argument anyway. Do what you want, I'm just not going to rely on spirit-return mechanics to try to leverage a basicless build when the basics in question are plenty good enough themselves and the only time you can't use them is if you're dead. It also frees you up from having to devote multiple artifact/runeword/whatever slots just for making sure you have the spirit to skip using a basic attack, so you can instead use those slots to bulk up or increase your damage output.

Yeah, as long as you're doing Infernal Brimstone/Flash & Grab/Dive Bomb, everything else is just gravy. I'm an X-Slash guy but the higher I go, the less damage it contributes because I don't want to be sitting still in the face of potential burst damage. I haven't run out of spirit in the last few hours of play just because I'm not really using any single-target skills now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

NC's single-target stuff only has to last as long as Obscuring Brimstone.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Unsure about this, but while Invisibile woman won't be randomable (that's a word now) with BOGO, if you do buy her with Gs you'll still get a random hero (chance) as part of BOGO, right?

Sweet christmas, this weekend will be awesome.

Too bad I'm going away for most of it :negative: (please tell me it's from like, thursday to tuesday)

Disco Bandit
Nov 15, 2004

All I want for christmas is a winning season
Will Dr. Strange be participating in this BOGO hero event? If so, I may pick him up and get a sweet free hero (I already have Thing, how bad could it be?).

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Man that nerf to the 25% medkits core really, really sucks. I could maybe see why they changed the LL cores but they really should have left the medkit affix alone.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Disco Bandit posted:

Will Dr. Strange be participating in this BOGO hero event? If so, I may pick him up and get a sweet free hero (I already have Thing, how bad could it be?).

Buying a hero just gives you a standard hero box, so every hero currently in game has a chance to pop out.

I have gotten 2 Thing tokens from those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

Man that nerf to the 25% medkits core really, really sucks. I could maybe see why they changed the LL cores but they really should have left the medkit affix alone.

Why? I feel like they explained their reasoning pretty well.

• Locked thread