Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

peanut- posted:

As much as I dislike United, pretending that it isn't still one of the biggest jobs in world football is silly. Guardiola and Ancelotti are probably the only two really delusional targets.

And Klopp, who has just said he doesn't want the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

The best part was people still saying "ID LIKE KLOPP" even after he'd just said in a press release today that he's not leaving Dortmund

By far the best thing about today for me

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

peanut- posted:

As much as I dislike United, pretending that it isn't still one of the biggest jobs in world football is silly. Guardiola and Ancelotti are probably the only two really delusional targets.

Ancelotti might get the boot if he fails to deliver La Decima. He pretty much lost the league to Atletico of all teams and Copa del Rey, as nice as it is, was not the goal for this season.

mackintosh fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 22, 2014

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'm just happy I don't have to hear that annoying-as-gently caress Moyes chant anymore, you know the one.

Don't get ahead of yourself, Wenger might be appointed and we will get to hear "come on and feel the boys"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

peanut- posted:

Big job yes, but you're not going to pry Simeone from Atletico if/when they win La Liga and/or the CL, or Klopp when he's already ruled himself out. Especially with a lack European football next season. It's also going to cost a lot to bring new players in, especially as everyone knows about this "war chest". Big yes, attractive no.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's only unattractive to 10 or so managers in the whole world who have a good thing going already or wouldn't join for obvious reasons. Not sure how it is a sleight on United

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

julian assflange posted:

It's only unattractive to 10 or so managers in the whole world who have a good thing going already or wouldn't join for obvious reasons. Not sure how it is a sleight on United

Because 9 months ago it was unattractive to 0 managers

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It'll end up being Blanc

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Because 9 months ago it was unattractive to 0 managers

Klopp,Simeone and Guardiola wouldn't have been interested back then either.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Jose posted:

It'll end up being Blanc
this would own because he's a terrible manager

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rudi Garcia hasn't been linked with the job but would be a good option imo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jose posted:

It'll end up being Blanc

Has he been a full season with PSG? I'd stick with them. If they can get a few better defenders they could do very well.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I'm not convinced that we were bound to get where we are now from day one with Moyes. He was brought in to manage the Fergie-less transition on the back of having managed to inculcate a winning attitude in the Everton players, over a long period of time, with very steady state squads. At worst he would be a sacrificial lamb who couldn't do too much damage, at best he'd grow into the role.

Whilst dour and defensive football was guaranteed, his record suggested the consistency to get a squad of winning players to carry on winning. This is not something which requires a genius, as both Avram Grant and Di Matteo managed to prove (you don't need to win things to manage players who can win things, but you are a loser). Mediocrity was predictable, but not the relentless, grinding shittery that followed.

If you look at the managers who've outstripped him this year, Rodgers and Martinez had done nothing to suggest they would succeed as much as they have in a single season, both had flaws and blind spots as Moyes did. Meanwhile Moyes' clear superiors Mourinho, Pelligrini and Wenger have all had some massive gently caress-ups along the way.

Basically, I'm not angry at you Dave, I'm just disappointed.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Is Laurent Blanc even a good manager? He seems like he's been riding the wave of winning Ligue 1 with Bordeaux for like a decade, and what he's done with PSG hasn't been particularly impressive.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Psybro posted:

I'm not convinced that we were bound to get where we are now from day one with Moyes. He was brought in to manage the Fergie-less transition on the back of having managed to inculcate a winning attitude in the Everton players, over a long period of time, with very steady state squads. At worst he would be a sacrificial lamb who couldn't do too much damage, at best he'd grow into the role.

Whilst dour and defensive football was guaranteed, his record suggested the consistency to get a squad of winning players to carry on winning. This is not something which requires a genius, as both Avram Grant and Di Matteo managed to prove (you don't need to win things to manage players who can win things, but you are a loser). Mediocrity was predictable, but not the relentless, grinding shittery that followed.

If you look at the managers who've outstripped him this year, Rodgers and Martinez had done nothing to suggest they would succeed as much as they have in a single season, both had flaws and blind spots as Moyes did. Meanwhile Moyes' clear superiors Mourinho, Pelligrini and Wenger have all had some massive gently caress-ups along the way.

Basically, I'm not angry at you Dave, I'm just disappointed.

Ah yes mediocrity was predictable

Psybro posted:

Hahaha oh man, United are not finishing outside the top 2 and you can loving print that.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He's been at the club same time Moyes at United. Two trophies and a CL quarter final. Squad still has some big holes in it especially at the back.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

julian assflange posted:

Has he been a full season with PSG? I'd stick with them. If they can get a few better defenders they could do very well.

They have two of the best defenders in the world, Blanc is utter poo poo.

blue footed boobie posted:

Is Laurent Blanc even a good manager? He seems like he's been riding the wave of winning Ligue 1 with Bordeaux for like a decade, and what he's done with PSG hasn't been particularly impressive.

He's poo poo, he was something like fifth choice, utterly bottled an easy game against Chelsea, he's not good enough to be at a CL club. I'm genuinely amazed his contract got extended.

Seriously, defenders? Thiago Silva and Marquinhos ffs. There is not a better partnership in world football right now. That people aren't doing the Rio/Vidic dance about them is because Blanc is clueless.

Pastore. Lucas Moura. Cavani. Verrati. The list of players he's wasting is incredible.

e; also yeah Rudi Garcia would be a top, top appointment. Him or LVG.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Rudi Garcia hasn't been linked with the job but would be a good option imo

Garçia has been linked to Barça.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Pastore has been 'wasted' by every manager at PSG because he is, in fact, poo poo.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Ah yes mediocrity was predictable

I didn't say predictable by me did I? I was referring to Pissflaps, hence my lip-curling reference to predictions.

And I probably posted that before he sacked all the coaches or something idk

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Psybro posted:

I didn't say predictable by me did I? I was referring to Pissflaps, hence my lip-curling reference to predictions.

And I probably posted that before he sacked all the coaches or something idk

Don't worry, I predicted Benteke would be the leading goalscorer for the year and welp

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Pastore has been 'wasted' by every manager at PSG because he is, in fact, poo poo.

He's not a wide midfielder which is where he keeps getting playwait a minute

... david?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

trem_two posted:

Garçia has been linked to Barça.

I suppose with there being no links to England the press haven't thought of him but he's done really well at Roma and did well at Lille too

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

mackintosh posted:

Ancelotti might get the boot if he fails to deliver La Decima. He pretty much lost the league to Atletico of all teams and Copa del Rey, as nice as it is, was not the goal for this season.

lol no he wont

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

mackintosh posted:

Who do Real Madrid go for if they sack Ancelotti? They'd be in United's situation now, where the hottest property managers all seem pretty unavailable

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Who do Real Madrid go for if they sack Ancelotti? They'd be in United's situation now, where the hottest property managers all seem pretty unavailable

they won't fire ancelotti ffs lol

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I agree

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Paperhouse posted:

Hmmm yes United finishing 6th (at very best) with no European football and a mostly ageing/poo poo squad is the same situation as Real Madrid finishing second in an incredibly tight race and making it to the semis of the CL (at worst) and winning the Copa Del Rey.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I've heard that Florentino told Carlo he's gone unless Madrid win the decimoprimero this season.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Hegay posted:

they won't fire ancelotti ffs lol

but they could

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Psybro posted:

If you look at the managers who've outstripped him this year, Rodgers and Martinez had done nothing to suggest they would succeed as much as they have in a single season, both had flaws and blind spots as Moyes did.
Except both those managers went to the club's owners, outset a plan and approach that they were going to take, and were chosen based on, I'm sure, several criteria. Indeed, apparently Martinez was offered the Liverpool job, but turned it down, so he was deemed the best candidate by not one but two separate clubs.

David Moyes was picked because he's Scottish, as far as we know.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Hmmm yes United finishing 6th (at very best) with no European football and a mostly ageing/poo poo squad is the same situation as Real Madrid finishing second in an incredibly tight race and making it to the semis of the CL (at worst) and winning the Copa Del Rey.

Its Real Madrid though. They sacked a manager who won the Champions League iirc

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

britishbornandbread posted:

today is The Day lads

today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOhnrjdYOc

Hoping we can get Ramsey in this summer, though.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

irlZaphod posted:

David Moyes was picked because he's Scottish, as far as we know.

I can confirm he is indeed Scottish

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Hoping we can get Ramsey in this summer, though.

He just signed a new contract like a month ago.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

well David Moyes was on a six year as you know

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You missed a pro trolling opportunity here btw

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jose posted:

Its Real Madrid though. They sacked a manager who won the Champions League iirc

I was talking about the situations rather than the sacking. Madrid won't have nearly the difficulty United might have.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FLJ meant Alf Ramsey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

mods rename me Ashley Cole's Beard

• Locked thread