Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Check out some Japanese reactions to the Smash Direct here.

No matter which part of the world you're in there's always going to be people waiting for the return of Mewtwo.

Huh, seems like mostly the same as the reactions I saw in the English-speaking community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Huh, seems like mostly the same as the reactions I saw in the English-speaking community.

Surprisingly, nerds aren't all that different across the Pacific.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Curiously, far less "when's Waluigi."

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I guess the question is... do we get a Protean Greninja as a fighter?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Some of the Wii U comments sound like they came from this very forum.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I still think it's ironic that americans use the word "otaku" proudly and consider themselves aficionados of Eastern culture, whereas in Japan-- if you're an otaku, you are by definition a gross basement dweller who rarely sees the light of day.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Excels posted:

I still think it's ironic that americans use the word "otaku" proudly and consider themselves aficionados of Eastern culture, whereas in Japan-- if you're an otaku, you are by definition a gross basement dweller who rarely sees the light of day.

where did that come from?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

They were saying nerds are the same in both countries but I don't really think that's true. :v: Japanese nerds are much more intense, they live and breathe their obsessions.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
You're wrong, I do that too

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

whalestory posted:

You're wrong, I do that too

Do you bathe regularly? Do you kiss your waifu on the computer screen before you go to bed each night with sheets and blankets of her face?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Otacon taught me that Otakus are people too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"Really obsessive Western nerds don't exist," I say wholeheartedly as I turn to my avatar, a single tear running down my cheek.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Excels posted:

Not seeing the difference between these.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Endorph posted:

"Really obsessive Western nerds don't exist," I say wholeheartedly as I turn to my avatar, a single tear running down my cheek.

You could spend five dollars on a new avatar instead of MLP merchandize...

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Excels posted:

The people that use that use the word "otaku" proudly and are not a gross basement dweller who rarely sees the light of day are nothing but Fake-Otaku-boys/girls

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Excels posted:

The English word for that is "goon"

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Curiously, far less "when's Waluigi."

Is there a Japanese equivalent of this? Is there some obscure character the Japanese just have to have in the game?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Is there a Japanese equivalent of this? Is there some obscure character the Japanese just have to have in the game?

the article on Japan's Reaction to Little Mac posted:

From an extremely quick look, I see some of the most-wanted are:

Paper Mario
Nick / Captain Rainbow
Monster Hunter
Lucina
Dixie
Daisy
Waluigi
Shulk

so really, Waluigi

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lucina? Really? The only Awakening character more boring than Chrom is Lucina.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Chrom is cool as hell and a great straight man

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Have you had any of her support conversations? She's the best.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

majormonotone posted:

Just the ones she has with Chrom.

"Father...father! Father *cries*"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

majormonotone posted:

Let's go Cina!

PantsBandit posted:

Cina sucks!

In all seriousness, Lucina would've been interesting as a Marth replacement or alt costume. That ship's probably sailed, though, so I'd rather Chrom in to avoid filling the roster with even more clones.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I mean it's just sorta sad to me that they have so much potential for really cool and unique fighting styles with FE characters and every time it's just a purple haired dude (dudette if Lucina) with a sword.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
You guys are going to be pissed as hell disappointed when they announce Tails for Smash

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

PantsBandit posted:

Japan absolutely loves them for some reason: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html

It still blows my mind that MU managed to crack the top 3, let alone be allowed on the list at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Japan absolutely loves them for some reason: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html

It still blows my mind that MU managed to crack the top 3, let alone be allowed on the list at all.

I'm glad Owain got the recognition he deserves

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StevenM posted:

You guys are going to be pissed as hell disappointed when they announce Tails for Smash
Using his tails like chun-li's hyper leg kick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I mean it's just sorta sad to me that they have so much potential for really cool and unique fighting styles with FE characters and every time it's just a purple haired dude (dudette if Lucina) with a sword.
Blue. The hair's blue.

And all the main characters are dudes with swords, for the most part. The exceptions are Ephraim, who's a dude with a spear, and Celica, who's a chick with magic, and neither of them are that relevant. FE isn't popular enough for it to have a fuckton of characters like Mario or Pokemon.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Endorph posted:

Blue. The hair's blue.

And all the main characters are dudes with swords, for the most part. The exceptions are Ephraim, who's a dude with a spear, and Celica, who's a chick with magic, and neither of them are that relevant. FE isn't popular enough for it to have a fuckton of characters like Mario or Pokemon.

There's also the avatar character in FE13, who is a dude/lady with a sword but also magic. The avatar is more of a main character than Chrom, too.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Screw it, let's just have Henry as the FE character.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I understand the need to keep character picks to main characters but I just really want to see Donny ride a pig across a battlefield swinging a giant battle axe going "YEE-HAWWWWW!"

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Endorph posted:

Blue. The hair's blue.

There's also Eirika and Lyn, ladies with swords, Hector, a dude with an axe, and Micaiah, a lady with magic. I can't believe people would rather have Chrom than Lucina though. Like, Chrom is one of the least interesting characters in Awakening, and Lucina would help give Smash some much needed female representation.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

One looks like Girl Marth.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I thought FE Awakening's popularity was kind of an anomaly. That they were planning to end the entire series on it before it became the most popular of them all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wind God Sety posted:

There's also Eirika and Lyn, ladies with swords, Hector, a dude with an axe, and Micaiah, a lady with magic. I can't believe people would rather have Chrom than Lucina though. Like, Chrom is one of the least interesting characters in Awakening, and Lucina would help give Smash some much needed female representation.

I think there's the assumption that Lucina would fight similar to Marth, and Chrom would be similar to Ike. Obviously this doesn't have to be since neither really has a "style", but I can see why people would want Chrom since we'll almost certainly not get Ike back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chrom is hilarious in a lot of the DLC stuff. He works fine as a straightman.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Excels posted:

One looks like Girl Marth.

Marth looks like Girl Marth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lucina is voiced by Laura Bailey and Chrom is voiced by Dime Store Troy Baker, I think it's clear which one should be in Smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

Lucina is voiced by Laura Bailey and Chrom is voiced by Dime Store Troy Baker, I think it's clear which one should be in Smash.

...both?

EDIT:
I can't tell if "Dime Store" is supposed to be a good or bad thing.

• Locked thread