Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Entropic posted:

I'm discovering the joys of dlink firmware circa 2004. When you go to change the date and time for this router, you select the year from a drop down menu that has every possible option hardcoded. All the way from 2002 up to 2012.

Planned obsolescence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Starting from physical: Please Do Not Teach Stupid People Anything.

My prof was nice enough to share the much worse ones, but that's the one I remember.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

spankmeister posted:

Planned obsolescence

There's a firmware update that fixes it though.

Zero points for guessing how they "fixed" it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

There's a firmware update that fixes it though.

Zero points for guessing how they "fixed" it.
2002-2013.

Can you edit the page to fill in 2014?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

anthonypants posted:

2002-2013.

Can you edit the page to fill in 2014?

It goes all the way up to 2050 now. Which hopefully is more than enough, but still.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Entropic posted:

It goes all the way up to 2050 now. Which hopefully is more than enough, but still.

As long as it still supports XP until then.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Disclaimer: This was written for american accents. Most americans pronounce quebec "Kwebeck" because qu almost always has a kw sound to it. Quran distinctly ignores the w sound (though so does qi which sounds like key and would probably on second thought make a better Q word).

It's not pronounced Q-Beck??

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

sfwarlock posted:

Also^3 I had a ticket once cite the 9th OSI layer - that being, the user's boss.

Almost there.

Wikipedia posted:

According to Bruce Schneier and RSA:

Layer 8: The individual person.
Layer 9: The organization.
Layer 10: Government or legal compliance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layer_8

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Level 11: Bruce Schneier :kamina:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
User demands Domain Admin access (C-level exec), then deletes his user share's contents before going away for two weeks.

"How was I able to delete all of this? This is UNACCEPTABLEEE"

Thank gently caress for shadow copies, I guess.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

madsushi posted:

It's not pronounced Q-Beck??

I'm thinking it is. We use it as part of the phonetic alphabet and Q-Beck is how I say it. Never had a problem with it.

In other news, an illness came in. I'm sat here throwing up my guts every 30 minutes or so. Still, least I don't have to go to work :dance:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Nerdrock posted:

My favorite was in Highshool Chemistry, we had a guy in our class whose initials were M.E. , so when we were learning about the prefixes for subatomic particles or whatever, the entire class turned out to use this mnemonic device:

Matt
E*****
Promised
Butt
Pirates
Heaping
Helpings
Of
Nasty
Douche

I had something similar, but with 6 yr olds, and the spelling of Necessary.

Never eat cake, eat salmon sandwiches and remain young.

Except we had a girl in the class called Sarah Smith, so it then became "Eat Sarah Smith". We were only 6, so we were completely unaware of the other connotations of 'eating' a girl, but I still think "Eat Sarah Smith" when I'm spelling out necessary. I can't remember the names of any of the other kids from that time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Entropic posted:

I'm discovering the joys of dlink firmware circa 2004. When you go to change the date and time for this router, you select the year from a drop down menu that has every possible option hardcoded. All the way from 2002 up to 2012.
Not even Dlink themselves expect a Dlink device to remain functional for very long.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

dogstile posted:

I'm thinking it is. We use it as part of the phonetic alphabet and Q-Beck is how I say it. Never had a problem with it.

It's officially "KEH-BECK", but 5 is officially "FIFE" so who gives a gently caress?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Just go with silent letters, alternate letter spellings, homonyms, and words made up of two letter sounds.

Are
Beady
Cession
Djinn
Eye
Fjord
Gnat
Hour
ID
Jalapeno
Knight
Llama
Mnemonic
Nay
Oedipus
Pneumatic
Quran
Ray
Sea
Teepee
Uvula
Vowel
Write
Xenon
Yves
Zibo

This gave me a good laugh. Hearing users create their own phonetics is often interesting. Especially where I work now, help desk for the Army. Some of these guys have it all memorized but draw a blank every once in a while.

I think I would die if I heard a "Q as in Quran"

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This gave me a good laugh. Hearing users create their own phonetics is often interesting. Especially where I work now, help desk for the Army. Some of these guys have it all memorized but draw a blank every once in a while.

I think I would die if I heard a "Q as in Quran"

"H as in huge boobs"

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Emushka posted:

"H as in huge boobs"

"B as in big ol titties"

"t as in twerk"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A few jobs ago I was working at a clothing manufacturer in NYC. You probably know the brand, or at least have heard of it, from all the douchebags that wear it. They hired me literally 48 hours after I got laid off from my last job.

I have a relatively difficult to spell last name, and I end up spelling it phonetically for any vendor ever. It was an open plan helpdesk, and the chief Mac support guy made it a point to make fun of me every single time I spelled it out. Really cute, that you find it funny. But man, he was basically King Douchebag the First, very big on poo poo-giving before answering questions or fixing problems (rather than the other way around).

I'm glad I don't work there anymore. There was no dress code so you could show up in jeans, shorts, sandals, whatever you wanted. It was in the middle of the Village so there was amazing food everywhere, but they were literally the most spoiled users ever.

"MY PRINTER IS BROKEN"
"Okay, can you print to the one three feet away from you until we get the toner in?"
"NO IT'S TOO MUCH OF A WALK"

I wish I had the floor plan, but for every aisle of desks there was a 4250 or similar enterprise-grad BnW laser printer every three or four desks, along with three or four shared MFPs in one space. Plus they had a production-grade catalog printer, a huge assembly that could even print white ink. Crazy stuff.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a bunch of tickets are probably going to come in.

The Sr tech just got assigned a ticket to decommission the file server/Group Policy server/DHCP server and migrate it to a new 2008R2 VM. Considering how he likes to do these projects mid day, I am expecting to be busy.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

blackswordca posted:

So a bunch of tickets are probably going to come in.

The Sr tech just got assigned a ticket to decommission the file server/Group Policy server/DHCP server and migrate it to a new 2008R2 VM. Considering how he likes to do these projects mid day, I am expecting to be busy.

Godspeed and don't entrap anyone.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

jim truds posted:

Godspeed and don't entrap anyone.

I took some time off from lurking this thread, and it appears I missed a very funny story. Any idea how many pages back this entrapment thing is?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

I took some time off from lurking this thread, and it appears I missed a very funny story. Any idea how many pages back this entrapment thing is?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&pagenumber=143&perpage=40#post423366699

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So some tickets came in... and by tickets I mean I'm building a nice pile of graphics cards with warped PCB because AMD managed to design a heatsink that expands when it gets hot :psyduck:

Not sure why they're all suddenly failing at once over a year later though.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Could be a driver update - What cards are you running?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
So I've got a bunch of linux dns/dhcp servers. I was looking at getting a frontend set up to manage them so I don't have to edit zonefiles by hand anymore and forget to increment the serial for the millionth time. Anyone have any suggestions? Googling brought me to one called Sauron ( http://sauron.jyu.fi/ ), which seems cool and has a good name since my users name systems stupid things like bilbo and frodo.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Spudalicious posted:

So I've got a bunch of linux dns/dhcp servers. I was looking at getting a frontend set up to manage them so I don't have to edit zonefiles by hand anymore and forget to increment the serial for the millionth time. Anyone have any suggestions? Googling brought me to one called Sauron ( http://sauron.jyu.fi/ ), which seems cool and has a good name since my users name systems stupid things like bilbo and frodo.

Foreman if you want to keep the current system or FreeIPA/RHDS if you're open to change.

PowerDNS is also the common thing, but doesn't manage dhcp.

Sauron hasn't been updated in 10 years.

GentlemansSleepover
Apr 26, 2010
A ticket came in - the tiny business I work for needs new servers. On paper I'm a developer, but the company is so small that I end up doing most of the IT work as well, so the responsibility for this falls to me. I'm really not well versed in modern server hardware and I'm hoping someone can provide suggestions so I don't gently caress everything up. Right now we've got 5 servers running (more than the number of people that work here at the moment, heh) - a domain controller/whatever windows server, a windows development server, windows test server, linux dev, and linux test servers. The linux dev server recently poo poo the bed, prompting this update. These servers are all a mess, and the windows ones are running server 2003, so anything new will be a welcome change.

My boss has stated he'd like to replace our current setup with three servers - a replacement for the domain contoller, a windows server for development and testing, and a linux server for development and testing. Is it a bad idea to just go to Dell, pick 3 of the bottom to mid tier server setups they have and run with that? I don't want to recommend a huge expenditure without having a good reason for it, and a few thousand on some servers would be fine, but I also don't want to be kicking myself a year down the road about making a dumb call on this. Reading this thread and the poo poo pissing you off thread have really shined a light on how little I actually know about this side of the world, which has me second guessing every thought I have here. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You can probably just go with a single low to mid tier server and virtualize everything, unless anything there has crazy hardware requirements.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The bi-annual ticket came in from a user reporting issues with their VPN. A reply was written asking for more information, clarification of any error message being received and a request for the best time to get in touch to jump on a remote session to resolve the problem. Just like the ticket six months previously, and the one six months prior to that, and the one six months prior to that, I predict no response will be received and it will close itself due to lack of activity.

And the cycle will resume six months from now...

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

GentlemansSleepover posted:

A ticket came in - the tiny business I work for needs new servers. On paper I'm a developer, but the company is so small that I end up doing most of the IT work as well, so the responsibility for this falls to me. I'm really not well versed in modern server hardware and I'm hoping someone can provide suggestions so I don't gently caress everything up. Right now we've got 5 servers running (more than the number of people that work here at the moment, heh) - a domain controller/whatever windows server, a windows development server, windows test server, linux dev, and linux test servers. The linux dev server recently poo poo the bed, prompting this update. These servers are all a mess, and the windows ones are running server 2003, so anything new will be a welcome change.

My boss has stated he'd like to replace our current setup with three servers - a replacement for the domain contoller, a windows server for development and testing, and a linux server for development and testing. Is it a bad idea to just go to Dell, pick 3 of the bottom to mid tier server setups they have and run with that? I don't want to recommend a huge expenditure without having a good reason for it, and a few thousand on some servers would be fine, but I also don't want to be kicking myself a year down the road about making a dumb call on this. Reading this thread and the poo poo pissing you off thread have really shined a light on how little I actually know about this side of the world, which has me second guessing every thought I have here. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Or just go to Azure/AWS for everything but the DC. I'm serious. Then you can have as many servers as you want, with hardware that gets updated over time, for a small monthly price. Want to spin up a server to do testing for a specific bug? Ok. Can you do that with a local server? Maybe. But not over any significant capacity. Do you want to test multi-server anything? Have fun trying to make VMs to do that. The only real downside is if you lose internet, you lose your dev/test servers, but machines are so powerful nowadays you should really just be using Vagrant and your local machine to run your dev boxes. You can use Packer and some basebox templates to build some nice VMs and save a ton on server costs that way, plus your expenses are then spread over time (AWS/Azure bill vs thousands of dollars in servers immediately) and can scale with use.

Urit fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 22, 2014

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Caged posted:

The bi-annual ticket came in from a user reporting issues with their VPN. A reply was written asking for more information, clarification of any error message being received and a request for the best time to get in touch to jump on a remote session to resolve the problem. Just like the ticket six months previously, and the one six months prior to that, and the one six months prior to that, I predict no response will be received and it will close itself due to lack of activity.

And the cycle will resume six months from now...

"I don't know boss, I've told IT my VPN won't work for 3 years now and they haven't fixed it. Don't blame me for not working from home, blame them for closing tickets that haven't been resolved!"

Urit posted:

Or just go to Azure/AWS for everything but the DC. I'm serious. Then you can have as many servers as you want, with hardware that gets updated over time, for a small monthly price. Want to spin up a server to do testing for a specific bug? Ok. Can you do that with a local server? Maybe. But not over any significant capacity. Do you want to test multi-server anything? Have fun trying to make VMs to do that. The only real downside is if you lose internet, you lose your dev/test servers, but machines are so powerful nowadays you should really just be using Vagrant and your local machine to run your dev boxes.

This. 5 servers (or even 3) for a 5 user environment is kind of the wheelhouse for a hosted solution. Especially since you don't have a dedicated IT guy to handle the hardware, virtualization, and networking of the devices. If you rebuild locally you're in for a world of hurt.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 22, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"I don't know boss, I've told IT my VPN won't work for 3 years now and they haven't fixed it. Don't blame me for not working from home, blame them for closing tickets that haven't been resolved!"

This. 5 servers (or even 3) for a 5 user environment is kind of the wheelhouse for a hosted solution. Especially since you don't have a dedicated IT guy to handle the hardware, virtualization, and networking of the devices. If you rebuild locally you're in for a world of hurt.

Shouldn't make a difference if Caged's got it all down on email..

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

MJP posted:

"MY PRINTER IS BROKEN"
"Okay, can you print to the one three feet away from you until we get the toner in?"
"NO IT'S TOO MUCH OF A WALK"

I wish I had the floor plan, but for every aisle of desks there was a 4250 or similar enterprise-grad BnW laser printer every three or four desks, along with three or four shared MFPs in one space. Plus they had a production-grade catalog printer, a huge assembly that could even print white ink. Crazy stuff.

gently caress this poo poo. The office I support does contract/procurement/financial stuff, so the amount of paper generated is astounding. Along with multiple HP 9050dns (one per each group of 8 cubes, each with their own assigned bin), each of the three sections of the building has their own 4730 MFP, a 4700 Color, and 2 4015s. But this isn't enough. Every single loving one of them has either a 4000 or 4250 in their loving cube hooked up with a USB->1284 adapter cable. They're so ancient that the contract that supports them (not mine, thank god) will no longer provide supplies for them, and I had to manually add every single one of them when we deployed Windows 7 since the 4000 series driver isn't packaged in Win7 and Windows Update is not an option (ended up using the 4100 driver that was packaged in Win7). I've also had a couple users want me to go downstairs where half the cubes are unoccupied and swipe toners from those printers so they don't have to get up and walk, literally, around the side wall of their cube to get their printjobs.

Had a ticket come across today for Outlook throwing an error message. Screenshot was in the incident, so regardless of whether she emailed it in or called it in, someone from either the helpdesk or email team had to look at the problem and still send it on to deskside support. I know that error messages are sometimes unhelpful, but this shouldn't have even gotten to the helpdesk to begin with.

Open up the Outlook rules, there's two rules highlighted red with "(error)" next to the name. "Oh yeah, I deleted those folders last week. You can delete the rules." What the holy hell. At least it's an easy close.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 22, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

CommanderApaul posted:

I've also had a couple users want me to go downstairs where half the cubes are unoccupied and swipe toners from those printers so they don't have to get up and walk, literally, around the side wall of their cube to get their printjobs.

:smug: "Blah blah blah, CommanderApaul. Don't talk to me about cost savings. How much do you make? I'll bet we could get more savings there."

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Fellatio del Toro posted:

So some tickets came in... and by tickets I mean I'm building a nice pile of graphics cards with warped PCB because AMD managed to design a heatsink that expands when it gets hot :psyduck:

Not sure why they're all suddenly failing at once over a year later though.

That reminds me of my early years of tech support. Way back in the early 2000s I worked for Medion for a few years doing phone tech support.

They managed to release a system with overclocked Radeon 9800(labeled Radeon 9800 XL) in it, but with stock cooling installed and a fairly lovely overall case cooling design.

After every warm day we'd get tons of calls of people with failed videocards, and this kept up for the whole 3 year warranty period, and after that as well. All we could do was dispatch a tech to replace the videocard. In some cases, this resulted in a tech with a literal pile of graphics cards, testing one after the other to find one that worked.

Not as bad as the time they shipped a whole shipment of machines, all with the same MAC address on the onboard NIC. They sent out update CDs for three years for that one as well. Granted, a lot of people never noticed because they had their machine behind a router, but every single one that connected their PC directly to their cable modem, which registered the MAC and then refused to connect because duplicate MAC, ended up calling us.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Ask me about supporting 150 users who, combined, own more than 150 printers. Blows my loving mind. My t1 techs are on spring break this week and I had to go check out a color printer that's blotting magenta toner all over every print job. I open it up and the entire inside of the printer is colored pink.

User says to me "I guess it's good these things happen now and then otherwise you wouldn't have a job!"

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 22, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's like taking a poo poo on the floor and trying to spin it as being a good thing in front of the janitor.

GentlemansSleepover
Apr 26, 2010
I find the idea of a hosted solution pretty interesting, we recently had some experience using AWS for another project and I think I might be able to sell the idea of that. Not having to deal with day-to-day maintenance is very appealing. I don't have to do much of that now but the days when I do really suck, coming in hot ready to work on other projects and getting stuck fixing bullshit is no fun.

I also hadn't considered just getting one server and virtualizing. We don't have huge hardware requirements for anything we do, so that might work out perfectly. Assuming a complete virtualization novice, can anyone recommend a good place to start learning? Or recommend tools/tutorials/whatever?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GentlemansSleepover posted:

I find the idea of a hosted solution pretty interesting, we recently had some experience using AWS for another project and I think I might be able to sell the idea of that. Not having to deal with day-to-day maintenance is very appealing. I don't have to do much of that now but the days when I do really suck, coming in hot ready to work on other projects and getting stuck fixing bullshit is no fun.

I also hadn't considered just getting one server and virtualizing. We don't have huge hardware requirements for anything we do, so that might work out perfectly. Assuming a complete virtualization novice, can anyone recommend a good place to start learning? Or recommend tools/tutorials/whatever?

I don't have a guide for you, but if you have Windows 8 it natively supports Hyper-V, just add the role if you'd like to test it out.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Roargasm posted:

Ask me about supporting 150 users who, combined, own more than 150 printers. Blows my loving mind. My t1 techs are on spring break this week and I had to go check out a color printer that's blotting magenta toner all over every print job. I open it up and the entire inside of the printer is colored pink.

User says to me "I guess it's good these things happen now and then otherwise you wouldn't have a job!"

We have roughly the same number and every room has at least two printers in it. One inkjet color printer that is usually a HP All-In-One of some sort and a Laserjet to do black and white. This is in addition to all of the copiers we have that all faculty are hooked up to and generally isn't more than 20 feet away. We tried to set up little print areas with a color and black and white printer but then people kept arguing over who bought the paper, who bought ink, and some people would just take the printers and put them in their rooms. It got to the point where people were spending their budget on horrible consumer printers and then would get mad at us when we said we wouldn't support them.

There really should be a "gently caress printers" emoticon.

• Locked thread