Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Dear WotC, make two new sets to shove into a Legends block like you did with Coldsnap for Ice Age block. Keep the overpriced multicolored legendary creatures and crazy artwork style of the day. Maybe a few new kobolds that say "Counts as a red card" in the text box.

They did this, it was called Time Spiral block, and it was awesome fanservice but something we will never get again :dings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Most joke formats like that are funny until someone actually tries, and realizes it's breakable.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Tharizdun posted:

They did this, it was called Time Spiral block, and it was awesome fanservice but something we will never get again :dings:

That's a shame. They should revisit Ulgrotha so we can see how Baron Sengir is doing. I bet he's still ruling over the plane like a boss while Joven hangs out with his ferrets I guess.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

That's a shame. They should revisit Ulgrotha so we can see how Baron Sengir is doing. I bet he's still ruling over the plane like a boss while Joven hangs out with his ferrets I guess.
I can't tell if you're being obliquely sly, but they went back to Ulgrotha as well, only called it Innistrad and made it completely awesome and not lovely.

In fact, starting with the new card face, they've done lots of "revisit, but fixed" sets:

Antiquities -> Mirrodin
Legends -> Kamigawa
Fallen Empires -> Lorwyn
Homelands and The Dark -> Innistrad
Arabian Nights -> Shadowmoor/Eventide (storybook cards)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 22, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Tharizdun posted:

I can't tell if you're being obliquely sly, but they went back to Ulgrotha as well, only called it Innistrad and made it completely awesome and not lovely.

I always thought Homelands had good flavor unfortunately bogged down with lovely cards that weren't named Merchant Scroll. :smith:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

The first four expansions are absolutely full of insane garbage. When I started out back with Ice Age and Fallen Empires, even then we'd look back at the "old" cards (from last year) and wonder how the hell half the cards in Legends and The Dark happened.

I dunno if that's fair to Antiquities, that set actually largely made internal sense.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

I always thought Homelands had good flavor unfortunately bogged down with lovely cards that weren't named Merchant Scroll. :smith:

You're forgetting the best card in Homelands limited.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Homelands really didn't have good flavor. It was generic "oooh spooky vampire lord and some clerics running around!" fantasy claptrap. It also features a card that has regeneration with art of someone with scars on their face. Because yeah, a guy who heals from wounds should have permanent wounds?

And there was still tons of stuff that doesn't make sense or is a flavor whiff that by revisiting Homelands, you'd have to either ignore or lampshade such a huge swath of it that it would no longer be recognizable. I'd much rather go back to Jamuraa or Kjeldor. What is the flavor win of Dwarven Pony, Ebony Rhino or Aysen Highway? Serra Alchemist? The cards were all hot garbage with a generic BBEG black villain and I guess people have decided Autumn Willow was the good guy/gal?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 22, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

And there was still tons of stuff that doesn't make sense or is a flavor whiff that by revisiting Homelands, you'd have to either ignore or lampshade such a huge swath of it that it would no longer be recognizable. I'd much rather go back to Jamuraa or Kjeldor.

Isn't Jamuraa like permanently phased out or something? And we went back to Kjeldor, it was in Coldsnap.

That said, I do want to go back to Dominaria to see if it's still totally hosed up.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tharizdun posted:

It also features a card that has regeneration with art of someone with scars on their face. Because yeah, a guy who heals from wounds should have permanent wounds?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Tharizdun posted:

And there was still tons of stuff that doesn't make sense or is a flavor whiff that by revisiting Homelands, you'd have to either ignore or lampshade such a huge swath of it that it would no longer be recognizable. I'd much rather go back to Jamuraa or Kjeldor.
I was just thinking the other day how sweet Return to Jamuraa would be. I don't know if it would be the same without all the great art, but I can dream.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mercury Crusader posted:

Honestly, all the old sets (except Legends once you actually find out how they designed it) have pretty great flavor. Fallen Empires having civilization utterly collapse was a pretty great setting, and wasted on a small set.

Like, this is just fantastic flavor:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Magic didn't really have solid creative direction until at least Fallen Empires and Ice Age. The early sets are mostly a huge messy collection of standard Fantasy / D&D tropes and random insanity. I think they went back after the fact and tried to wrap some sort of loose story around the cards, but with the exception of Antiquities, none of the early sets really had any kind of solid theme or story. (OK, Arabian Nights had a solid theme, but that's because it was just directly copying an existing non-Magic setting.)

You couldn't really do "Return to Legends" very well, because Legends never had a real story or setting in the first place.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tharizdun posted:

Homelands really didn't have good flavor. It was generic "oooh spooky vampire lord and some clerics running around!" fantasy claptrap. It also features a card that has regeneration with art of someone with scars on their face. Because yeah, a guy who heals from wounds should have permanent wounds?

And there was still tons of stuff that doesn't make sense or is a flavor whiff that by revisiting Homelands, you'd have to either ignore or lampshade such a huge swath of it that it would no longer be recognizable. I'd much rather go back to Jamuraa or Kjeldor. What is the flavor win of Dwarven Pony, Ebony Rhino or Aysen Highway? Serra Alchemist? The cards were all hot garbage with a generic BBEG black villain and I guess people have decided Autumn Willow was the good guy/gal?

Homelands was bad, bad, bad. It drafted poorly, was worthless in constructed, and even collectors hated it because of the double artwork. The attempt at flavor was a terrible mishmash of cards that didn't fit together. Before long, almost everyone was referring to Homelands by replacing the e with a different vowel.

quote:

You're forgetting the best card in Homelands limited.

Bonus: what was the worst card in Homelands limited? http://magiccards.info/hl/en/111.html

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gynovore posted:

This reminds me of a format called "awful magic" a bunch of dudes came up with many, many years ago. 60 cards, 2 colors; for each color, 10 land, 10 different creatures, 10 different noncreature. The total power of non-wall defender creatures had to be at least 40.

The object was to make the worst deck possible; during the game, you played with the other person's deck.

Yawgmoth Demon
Phylactery Lich
Boggart Mob

Black Oak of Odunos
Nim Shrieker
Cemetery Gate
Drift of the Dead
Wall of Blood
Wall of Corpses
Wall of Shadows
Wall of Tombstones

Aphotic Wisps
Cover of Darkness
Dirge of Dread
Fear
Grisly Transformation
Gruesome Deformity
Hideous Visage
Intimidation
Shriek of Dread
Sleeper's Guile

Supreme Exemplar
Chisei, Heart of Oceans
Dormant Gormazoa
Ronom Serpent

Apprentice Wizard
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Balduvian Conjurer
Enclave Cryptologist
Magus of the Bazaar
Vedalken Archmage

Argivian Restoration
Artificer's Intuition
Blinkmoth Infusion
Drafna's Restoration
Fabricate
Machinate
Magnetic Flux
Override
Power Artifact
Reconstruction

10 Swamp
10 Island

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ultima66 posted:

Format doesn't actually work.

This was a loooooooong time ago. We're talking Rath block. The pool of lovely cards was much, much smaller.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kalli posted:

Honestly, all the old sets (except Legends once you actually find out how they designed it) have pretty great flavor. Fallen Empires having civilization utterly collapse was a pretty great setting, and wasted on a small set.

Fallen Empires was a set of fantastic flavour and awful, boring, unfun card design. There's about three interesting cards in the whole set, Goblin Grenade, High Tide and Hymn to Tourach.

There's a reason FE packs sat on shelves for years afterwards.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Portal: Second Age was really cool. We should go back to that a couple times. Maybe bring along a couple Powered Armors for maximum value.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Boring hypothetical but lets say they did let Dack Fayden be standard playable. Would it see play? +1 filters through deck quickly for what you need. -2 ability is pretty much worthless in standard currently. -6 is pretty sweet. Doesn't defend itself. Doesn't do anything really to the board.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

Fallen Empires was a set of fantastic flavour and awful, boring, unfun card design. There's about three interesting cards in the whole set, Goblin Grenade, High Tide and Hymn to Tourach.

I cannot even believe you're BMing on Mindstab Thrull and Icatian Javelineers like that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I cannot even believe you're BMing on Mindstab Thrull and Icatian Javelineers like that.

Don't forget about the pump knights and Night Soil!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are Dragon Shields still cut all hosed up or are they better now?

I'm looking for some new sleeves and have used Dragon Shields for years. I don't like the foil stamp that Ultra Pro puts on the front of theirs. However, I haven't played for about 10 years, so all the new lines of accessories are lost on me.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking for some new sleeves and have used Dragon Shields for years. I don't like the foil stamp that Ultra Pro puts on the front of theirs. However, I haven't played for about 10 years, so all the new lines of accessories are lost on me.

KMC Hyper Mat.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Wrote a short prerelease intro if someone is interest, in the Limited thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361226&pagenumber=349#post428647057

Mostly about the promos really.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kalli posted:

I like Fallen Empires a whole lot, and the storytelling through the Sarpadian Empires was really cool. The idea of colors warring with themselves is something I can't think of having seen since (at least as the "primary antagonists" of a block) and it really was awesome that in the end, not only do the Thrulls win, they become so virulent that even when the Weatherlight Crew (or Lim-Dul, I don't remember) show up years later, they're like, "nah, we're good, let's just wall off Sarpadia"

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ScarletBrother posted:

KMC Hyper Mat.

Are these durable? Some of the early Ultra Pro ones (in about 2003 when they started doing "foil" backs) I hated because I would split sleeves nonstop. And I know how to side-shuffle with sleeves

My favorite sleeves I ever had were some kind with a triangular foil stamp in the corner, and in 2001 they only came in black and green. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are these durable? Some of the early Ultra Pro ones (in about 2003 when they started doing "foil" backs) I hated because I would split sleeves nonstop. And I know how to side-shuffle with sleeves

My favorite sleeves I ever had were some kind with a triangular foil stamp in the corner, and in 2001 they only came in black and green. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I have 3 Modern decks double sleeved in Hyper Mats. I have never had one split. They're very durable and easy to shuffle. I don't even consider buying any other brand. Ultra-Pro sleeves are poo poo.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

They still come all hosed up. KMC has some new REALLY loving nice sleeves. I'd go hog wild and double sleeve and never have to worry about your cards again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

Did either of these ever show up in any format that isn't Pauper?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

KidDynamite posted:

They still come all hosed up. KMC has some new REALLY loving nice sleeves. I'd go hog wild and double sleeve and never have to worry about your cards again.

I'll check them out. I have some KMC Perfect Fit for my board game cards, and they were like a really nice penny sleeve.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Icatian Javelineer was played in Boros lists in RAV - TSP standard.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Ever since someone pointed it out in this thread, it seriously bothers me that Pin to the Earth doesn't make the creature lose flying.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

I don't understand this post that's insinuating Pauper isn't the best format.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

I don't understand this post that's insinuating Pauper isn't the best format.

I just lump Pauper in with Vintage in the category of "cool formats no one plays for various reasons".

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'll check them out. I have some KMC Perfect Fit for my board game cards, and they were like a really nice penny sleeve.

I don't know if I'm interpreting you right or not, but Perfect Fits are actually used as a sleeve that goes inside a normal sleeve for added protection. They're not intended to be used on their own.

Entropic posted:

I just lump Pauper in with Vintage in the category of "cool formats no one plays for various reasons".

One of my friends is trying to get me to buy into online Pauper, and I've got to say, it looks really cool.

It seems like Izzet Blitz would be really strong in that format.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bosushi! posted:

I don't know if I'm interpreting you right or not, but Perfect Fits are actually used as a sleeve that goes inside a normal sleeve for added protection. They're not intended to be used on their own.

One of my friends is trying to get me to buy into online Pauper, and I've got to say, it looks really cool.

I know, but for board games, I use them on their own since it's a size/protection tradeoff. I'm talking about cards for games like Agricola and Twilight Struggle, not anything collectible.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Entropic posted:

Part of it was also that it was the first set where they had the production to actually match demand and give stores every last card they asked for, where previously they had to settle with giving stores only a percentage of their ask which led to stores asking for way more product than they needed just to get a decent amount. Stores asked for way more FE than they needed and Wizards gave it to them.

Then put that on top of the fact that demand for the set was even lower than expected because most of the set was worthless and the only good cards were all at common, you could acquire a playset of all the relevant cards in less than a single box.

Bosushi! posted:

If you're talking about the UR deck that has creatures that self pump when you cast instants or sorceries, it's a solid tier 2 deck. Two color decks usually have problematic mana bases in Pauper though because almost all your fixing either comes into play tapped or costs mana.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

ScarletBrother posted:

I have 3 Modern decks double sleeved in Hyper Mats. I have never had one split. They're very durable and easy to shuffle. I don't even consider buying any other brand. Ultra-Pro sleeves are poo poo.

I just split my first Hyper Mat today with a mash shuffle although I've been using them regularly since they first showed up (6 months ago?). The rest of them look great though, the backs don't get the scratch marks that Dragon Shields get from mash shuffling and the fronts are still crystal clear unless you really look closely and try to find any scratches. They do get the little bits of gunk from your gross hands/LGS tables on the front (never the back, unlike Dragon Shields) but they clean up fine with a little bit of effort. I'm in the process of switching my constructed decks over to all Hyper Mats, it's taking a little bit becasue they're on the pricy side and can be hard to find locally. I prefer Ultra Pro Pro Mattes for limited since they're cheap and will last me a few months without needing to be replaced.

KidDynamite posted:

Double sleeve cards all day erry day. On top of making the cards more salvageable in the case of stores that inexplicably allow uncapped beverages at tables, you also get to see all the grossness that would have ended up on your cards if you had left them single sleeved.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm allowed to badmouth Fallen Empires, my first deck was built around Breeding Pit and Ebon Praetor. :corsair:

Promoted Pawn posted:

Part of it was also that it was the first set where they had the production to actually match demand and give stores every last card they asked for, where previously they had to settle with giving stores only a percentage of their ask which led to stores asking for way more product than they needed just to get a decent amount. Stores asked for way more FE than they needed and Wizards gave it to them.

Then put that on top of the fact that demand for the set was even lower than expected because most of the set was worthless and the only good cards were all at common, you could acquire a playset of all the relevant cards in less than a single box.
Yeah, it was an awful combination of suddenly ramping up the production capability while suddenly plummeting the power level of the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know, but for board games, I use them on their own since it's a size/protection tradeoff. I'm talking about cards for games like Agricola and Twilight Struggle, not anything collectible.

I know that you can get board game sleeves to match the size of the cards, my local store carries sleeves for pretty much every game they sell, so if you play a lot I'd advise you to look into that.

• Locked thread