Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dammit, I thought Brenda won this season :(

And I love that even Purple Kelly's alliance have forgotten she exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Aerox posted:

It's not a particularly interesting season of Survivor, but it was at least better than Redemption Island.

The concept of Redemption Island has and always will suck, but I enjoyed watching it. I don't think any other castaway had (or ever will have) as much cult inducing charisma as Boston Rob had. Dude could make everyone on his alliance believe without a doubt that they were the "special" person in the larger alliance who he'd take to the end. Watching him dominate everyone was fun, even though it was predictable. Him throwing a clue in the volcano is one of the best Survivor moments ever.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Shakugan posted:

The concept of Redemption Island has and always will suck, but I enjoyed watching it. I don't think any other castaway had (or ever will have) as much cult inducing charisma as Boston Rob had. Dude could make everyone on his alliance believe without a doubt that they were the "special" person in the larger alliance who he'd take to the end. Watching him dominate everyone was fun, even though it was predictable. Him throwing a clue in the volcano is one of the best Survivor moments ever.

I understand that, but I don't understand how people can criticize One World while liking Redemption Island when the winner there does something very, very similar.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Dammit, I thought Brenda won this season :(

And I love that even Purple Kelly's alliance have forgotten she exists.

She's a Kelly. Nobody knows who the gently caress Kelly is.

Ever.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Aerox posted:

I understand that, but I don't understand how people can criticize One World while liking Redemption Island when the winner there does something very, very similar.

I don't know that people really "like" Redemption Island. Amongst the handful of worst seasons ever it's just one of the least lovely.

Nicaragua is pretty much the consensus worst, usually with some mix of One World, Redemption Island and South Pacific in one order or another. Those four created a whole new level of bad Survivor seasons. Prior to them seasons like Gabon or Fiji were considered bottom of the barrel.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Most people don't like Redemption Island. They might like the winner or the game they played.

Most people also agree One World's winner played a good game and is one of the season's few redeeming factors. I'd like to see them back, myself. It was still a very boring season though.

I'm still of the opinion that OW is way worse than Nicaragua.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Aerox posted:

What if we are fans of Phillip?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

BGrifter posted:

Nicaragua is pretty much the consensus worst, usually with some mix of One World, Redemption Island and South Pacific in one order or another. Those four created a whole new level of bad Survivor seasons. Prior to them seasons like Gabon or Fiji were considered bottom of the barrel.

Even worse was that those four made up the entirety of Survivor for two years. There's got to be a bit of a compounding factor there - I wonder if we'd collectively enjoy South Pacific a bit more if it were showing up now rather than directly on the heels of two bottom-of-the-barrel seasons.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BGrifter posted:

Nicaragua is pretty much the consensus worst

I wouldn't say it's worse than Thailand or Fiji. I don't even remember a single thing about Fiji.

And holy poo poo, Naonka refusing to give up a reward just after saying she's gonna quit is so awful.

e: Wait, Fiji was Earl's season right? Ok, Fiji was better.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 22, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rarity posted:

I wouldn't say it's worse than Thailand or Fiji. I don't even remember a single thing about Fiji.

More than enough to disqualify Fiji from being even close to the worst season IMO.

If someone has the Four Horsemen GIF that's always worth posting.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I'll never understand the Fiji hate. Yes there were more loathsome people than usual. Yes it kinda sucked early. But it turned out to be a decent season with lots of hilarious and dramatic moments.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
All the best seasons of reality TV have a bunch of loathesome people. Makes it even more satisfying when they get their comeuppance. Big Brother 10 was probably my favourite example.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I actually didn't mind Nicaragua too much. The double quit was awful but other than that it had some funny and memorable characters and there was enough flipping around that it was hard to predict who would go home each week. You just need to accept the fact that none of these people did a good job playing Survivor (and the people with potential were voted out because of it) and enjoy the humor and unpredictability.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

paperchaseguy posted:

I'll never understand the Fiji hate. Yes there were more loathsome people than usual. Yes it kinda sucked early. But it turned out to be a decent season with lots of hilarious and dramatic moments.

I imagine Fiji would be much better on a rewatch, given that the post-merge game was fantastic. But in the early episodes where it was just like "Oh I waited a week to see Rocky just ABUSE Anthony in the most cringeworthy ways imagineable" it really made me not give a poo poo about the later half of the season.

Lisi's jury question is still probably the best one ever. Idiot cow.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Rocky being one of the biggest dickheads in Survivor history made the fall of the Horsemen so sweet. Earl suffers from the curse of being so good he's considered boring. Yau-Man is probably the best character the show has ever produced. Dreamz all these years later remains one of the most hated Survivors of all time. (He even started dating Na'Onka to become the most hated Survivor couple of all time)

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I think Candice is my most hated player.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheChad posted:

I think Candice is my most hated player.

I'm always gonna hate her just for the switch that screwed up Sandra's plan to vote out Russell. How did she even get into HvV anyway? I don't remember her doing anything of worth in Cook Islands

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Aerox posted:

Because one of those had Colton and the other had Phillip.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Ah, Nicaragua. Why did you have to be so bad? Oh. Yeah, I remember. The loving medallion of power. Splitting the tribes into old and young. Dismal weather conditions. Unpleasant, unlikable people. The other finalists being so loathsome that the stoner surfer idiot who got there by just never being seen as a big threat until he went on an immunity run felt like a very deserving winner.
Also, why hasn't Marty returned yet? He was the only really interesting character out of the whole cast.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spatula City posted:

The other finalists being so loathsome that the stoner surfer idiot who got there by just never being seen as a big threat until he went on an immunity run felt like a very deserving winner.

Wait, Fabio wins? :lol:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Aerox posted:

I prefer RI, but the argument is that the winner of One World did it on her first try.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rarity posted:

I'm always gonna hate her just for the switch that screwed up Sandra's plan to vote out Russell. How did she even get into HvV anyway? I don't remember her doing anything of worth in Cook Islands

The producers have a hard-on for her, for some reason. She was originally cast for Micronesia but wanted to stay to finish med school instead, so the producer cast her alternate, Parvati, instead.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rarity posted:

I'm always gonna hate her just for the switch that screwed up Sandra's plan to vote out Russell.

I appreciate Candice for that switch, because the player it screwed over the most was Candice.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BGrifter posted:

All the best seasons of reality TV have a bunch of loathesome people. Makes it even more satisfying when they get their comeuppance. Big Brother 10 was probably my favourite example.

I think Survivor usually does a better job of casting mostly likeable people compared to other reality shows. I really like Hell's Kitchen but every season now I have to question why I'm watching it because the cast is always bad to actively offensive.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rick posted:

I think Survivor usually does a better job of casting mostly likeable people compared to other reality shows. I really like Hell's Kitchen but every season now I have to question why I'm watching it because the cast is always bad to actively offensive.

I think casting on Survivor tends to play it a bit safer than other shows. There isn't really a Survivor analog to Big Brother 6 where the horrible people steamrolled to the end, but Survivor has more people like Rick the Moustache or Purple Kelly. I don't know that one approach is strictly better or worse, but I do like the way it gives Survivor and Big Brother a very different flavour.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Rarity posted:

I feel bad this was spoiled for you, but I also remember thinking it would have been more fun to watch knowing that early on. So many horrible people that season.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Nicaragua has to be the season with the biggest nosedive in quality part way through. Most of the season is pretty above-average with the exception of Na'onka's unpleasantness, and includes the early blindside of the colossal rear end in a top hat Shannon, the later blindside of then-frontrunner winner Brenda, Marty's comedy of errors trying desparately to stay in the game, and a badass older lady who wins multiple challenges and thrives on trolling Marty. Then, in just the last few episodes, you have the double quit, that same badass older lady becoming one of the most unpleasant and bitter boots of all time, a bunch of other incredibly bitter and unpleasant Tribals (including and especially the final), and an absolutely out-of-nowhere winner.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I dunno, the first half of Nicaragua was pretty awful too. Jimmy Johnson sucked the air out of the first few episodes. Jimmy T was pretty unbearable. Jane might be the most annoying Survivor of all time. I tried a rewatch a couple months ago and just couldn't make it to the merge. It's the only season I haven't watched at least twice, most are up to 4-5 viewings by now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rarity posted:

Naonka is the best trainwreck ever. I hope she gets another season at some point (don't tell me!)

It has just come to my attention that there's someone in this season called Purple Kelly who I haven't noticed at all. It's Brett from Samoa all over again.

Ever since Purple Kelly, it's been traditional to refer to people who get ignored by the edit as 'Purple [name]'

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Poque posted:

Even worse was that those four made up the entirety of Survivor for two years. There's got to be a bit of a compounding factor there - I wonder if we'd collectively enjoy South Pacific a bit more if it were showing up now rather than directly on the heels of two bottom-of-the-barrel seasons.

I've always counted South Pacific as a favorite, but that could just be a combination of Cochran plus it being the first season I started talking about with goons on the Internet/reading recaps/listening to podcasts about.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

I like to think of it as the season when Forrest Gump won survivor.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
poo poo, I'm sorry I spoiled it. :smith:
anyway, tonight I went back and finished watching Pearl Islands. Great season, and although Fairplay was amazing, I'm glad he wasn't even in the final 2. Mostly because he's a misogynist dickweed. The grandmother lie was amazing, but the way he constantly harped on how dumb the women were in his confessionals made him look like a tremendous penis.
Sandra is great, and sometimes it's great when the big move maker isn't the winner. Plus, it totally fit the pirate theme, the amount of betrayals going back and forth, and shifting alliances, until all the combatants fell down except for 2 who had been largely ignored and underestimated.
Gonna watch an early season next time I get some free time (Saturday?). Marquesas, The Amazon, Guatemala, Panama, or Fiji?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Of all those 5, definitely Amazon. Trying my best not to spoil anything, so I'll just say Amazon/Pearl Islands was peak Survivor as far as I'm concerned.

Incidentally Fairplay was on RHAP today:
http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-2014-jonny-fairplay-interview-cagayan/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Spatula City posted:

Gonna watch an early season next time I get some free time (Saturday?). Marquesas, The Amazon, Guatemala, Panama, or Fiji?

Obviously I'm a Fiji fan, but most of those are pretty solid. Marquesas is probably the weakest of the bunch but Boston Rob 1.0 is fun. Cesternino in Amazon changed the game forever. Guatemala is a fun if slightly underrated season. Survivor Panama had Shane-freaking-Powers and some fun memorable moments I won't spoil.

You won't feel ripped off with any of those, although none are at that Micronesia/HvV level.

Edit: Was Fairplay drunk and were there prostitutes in the room with him this time?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Spatula City posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry I spoiled it. :smith:
anyway, tonight I went back and finished watching Pearl Islands. Great season, and although Fairplay was amazing, I'm glad he wasn't even in the final 2. Mostly because he's a misogynist dickweed. The grandmother lie was amazing, but the way he constantly harped on how dumb the women were in his confessionals made him look like a tremendous penis.
Sandra is great, and sometimes it's great when the big move maker isn't the winner. Plus, it totally fit the pirate theme, the amount of betrayals going back and forth, and shifting alliances, until all the combatants fell down except for 2 who had been largely ignored and underestimated.

Guatemala

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BGrifter posted:

Survivor Panama had Shane-freaking-Powers and some fun memorable moments I won't spoil.

I assume Shane has refused to come back, right? Cause I can't think of a reason why he wouldn't ever be invited to return. He was the best kind of crazy.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Shane is the best survivor ever

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh man, Probst is forcing the final 6 to actually play the game during Tribal Council. It's incredible how much all these people suck :allears:

Samarium
Dec 15, 2005

The beauty of quitting is, now that I've quit, I can have one, 'cause I've quit.

Rarity posted:

I assume Shane has refused to come back, right? Cause I can't think of a reason why he wouldn't ever be invited to return. He was the best kind of crazy.

He was going to be on HvV, but CBS gave his spot to Russell at the last minute, after they saw Russell play in Samoa.

According to Shane on RHAP, he said that he was supposed to be on South Pacific going against Coach, but Shane backed out for some reason, and they replaced him with Ozzie. Just imagine how different both of those seasons would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This week has been busy and I haven't been able to watch the "Sophie Clarke on the Wisdom of Big Moves" on RHAP? Not sure if I want to sink 3 hours into it, either before tonight's episode or at all. Anyone who see it think it's worth listening to?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread