Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

This was War 2. Everyone rallied behind the imbecile (OK, he was "Slow". But he had a stats total of 10.), but the numbers were only so-so on his side. Then he died of an illness partway through the war and things got much dicier.

The best way to deal with a stable realm you can't break with intrigue is to wait. Bide your time save your cash and let them come to you. Once they war dec smash them with all the mercs and force them to surrender, most of the time this bankrupts them because of the war reparations they have to pay. Once the wars done immediately counter declare war and take the land you want then just keep breaking the truce and rip them apart.

I did this as Zoroastrian Karen against the Saffarids, they should have theoretically had a much larger force but I had enough ducat to pretty much buy every merc in existence stomp them, counter war, peace, break truce and repeat. Split the realm right down the middle so any army they raised had to march through my lands and take attrition trying to meet up with their other forces, now they are little more than a buffer zone to stop india to the east and abbasids to the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Wow, adventurers are a load of bullshit. 30k troops just turn up on my door when I can raise at most 10k, that's dumb as gently caress.

What are you even supposed to do about that? RNG fails on assassinations before the invasion starts, guess you are starting from scratch.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 22, 2014

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

paranoid randroid posted:

Are you running mods with Project Balance included? That sounds like the PB faction system. I think vassals join up with various groups like "autonomy" or "independence" and don't actually fire anything unless they are pissed off. I remember getting a lot of demands for money.

Yeah, I'm running HIP. I'm getting back into the game after a hiatus, with a new a mod and a faction I never played before. I'm muddying my cause and effect up. Thanks so much, that's exactly it - it's the Autonomy faction. So I just keep them generally happy and don't worry about breaking them up with my Spymaster?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
This is probably a pretty basic question, but I'm having trouble figuring out the right course of action here. Is it in my favor to not create more ducal titles and instead (as King of Ireland and Wales, and Duke of Tara and Munster) rule Wales directly without creating the Duchies of Deheubarth and Gwynedd? There are four ducal titles in my realm already, including the two I own, and I don't want to land more dukes while I'm still expanding into England and Scotland. In the past that's shot me in the foot, as they will seemingly inevitably factionalize themselves as the "true rulers" of my kingdom titles and (sensibly) strike when my levies are depleted by a recent conquest. Four ducal titles with me holding two seems to be doing a pretty good job of counterbalancing itself right now.

However, conversely dealing with the petty trifling of the various counts seems troublesome itself, and I want to avoid the 'ducal critical mass' that has ruined my previous games in the process of creating the empire of Britannia, whereupon one weak king is all it takes for all of my upstart dukes to rally behind someone and plunge everything into endlessly revolting chaos.*

*normally I groom my heirs well and pick off the weak inheritors as soon as I have an opportunity, but RNG has struck down my past kings at bad times.

How does I stable government? :downs: I'm really looking most at creating a long-term framework that I can work with without too many changes down the line so that I can focus on knitting together the new conquests into something resembling short-term stability.

I'm using gavelkind and free investiture too, if that factors into any advice. Only one prince-archbishopric as well, the game won't let me create any more than that.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Dumb question: Is this remotely normal?

Tengri reformed (Why of course it reformed when I'm playing Volga Bulgaria.) and got a high priest landed in a temple in the duchy of Sarkel (part of Cumania). Then I invaded Cumania and neglected to siege down all the counties. Cumania's big, OK?

So I had this cheeky dude as a vassal for a while. That was cute but I revoked his temple and he's still a de facto vassal (but not de jure), complete with declining to come to my Eid-al-Fitr feasts. What gives?

Sulla
May 10, 2008

Fellblade posted:

Wow, adventurers are a load of bullshit. 30k troops just turn up on my door when I can raise at most 10k, that's dumb as gently caress.

What are you even supposed to do about that? RNG fails on assassinations before the invasion starts, guess you are starting from scratch.

Alt+21 -> charinfo 1 -> kill <adventurer's ID>. It's bugged, so that's how I deal with it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darth Various posted:

Tengri reformed (Why of course it reformed when I'm playing Volga Bulgaria.) and got a high priest landed in a temple in the duchy of Sarkel (part of Cumania). Then I invaded Cumania and neglected to siege down all the counties. Cumania's big, OK?

So I had this cheeky dude as a vassal for a while. That was cute but I revoked his temple and he's still a de facto vassal (but not de jure), complete with declining to come to my Eid-al-Fitr feasts. What gives?

I just conquered the Pope and he became my vassal.

I'm the Roman Emperor and mended the Schism. Needless to say he loving hates me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

cock hero flux posted:

I just conquered the Pope and he became my vassal.

I'm the Roman Emperor and mended the Schism. Needless to say he loving hates me.

What exactly happens when the schism is mended? Sounds like a good new goal for my huge bored Russian Empire.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darth Various posted:

It doesn't happen every game but it's common enough, yes.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Elias_Maluco posted:

What exactly happens when the schism is mended? Sounds like a good new goal for my huge bored Russian Empire.

Catholicism becomes an Orthodox heresy (as do the regular Catholic heresies).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Allyn posted:

Catholicism becomes an Orthodox heresy (as do the regular Catholic heresies).

Or if you're tremendously unlucky Orthodox becomes a Catholic Heresy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You get a message when an adventurer gets the idea to start questing for your lands, so just click on the character's icon and mark him as a person of interest. Immediately set a plot to murder him or attempt an assassination manually if you have the money. It's better to nip that in the bud!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Occasionally an adventurer will even accept an invitation to your court, in which case it's really easy to deal with them. Can't invade a kingdom from a dungeon!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pakled posted:

Occasionally an adventurer will even accept an invitation to your court, in which case it's really easy to deal with them. Can't invade a kingdom from a dungeon!

Of all the things, I never thought to do this.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Adventurer wars can actually be beneficial when you're smaller. Playing as the Duke of Rashka in 867, I kept getting jerkoff uncles claiming my land, they would show up with ~2500 men to my 1500 soldiers. I would hire some cheap mercs, smash the adventurer's army, imprison him after winning the war, and banish him while taking the 500 gold he gets for founding a host.

Of course when you're larger and some relative shows up with 25,000 men to your 14,000 it gets much harder to just buy some temporary mercs, and stabbing/losing is your only option.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
When you get REALLY big they're also easy. I had a 40k retinue stack sitting in my capital of Constantinople and my adventurer uncle boat bombed me with 30k. Banished him for a quick 500 gold, and then he did the exact same thing five years later. I liked him too. He was possessed though, and I think it just turned him into an rear end in a top hat.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Has anyone else been having a lot more crashes to Desktop since RoI launched?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

When you get REALLY big they're also easy. I had a 40k retinue stack sitting in my capital of Constantinople and my adventurer uncle boat bombed me with 30k. Banished him for a quick 500 gold, and then he did the exact same thing five years later. I liked him too. He was possessed though, and I think it just turned him into an rear end in a top hat.

The Something Awful Forums > Games > Crusader Kings II: He was possessed and I think it just turned him into an rear end in a top hat

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
So I'm playing as Byzantine Emperor and I pressed a claim against the Pope for Rome but he kept all the lower barony level titles. What gives?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

So I'm playing as Byzantine Emperor and I pressed a claim against the Pope for Rome but he kept all the lower barony level titles. What gives?

A common not-quite bug. Fix it by killing his remaining barons until the pope inherits them himself, then immediately that same day declare war on the pope to take them back. It's something to do with the fact that he's a religious head, not a feudal noble that fucks up who owns what.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Fellblade posted:

As nearly as I can tell, it's a bug concerning the size of the event troops spawns (I posted a possible explanation some pages back), but I've yet to see PDS comment on the matter. It's also possible that it's WAD, in which case, enjoy.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is there a good way to break up a muslim megablob or otherwise weaken it so you can snatch some stuff away? I'm playing a game as the Hashimids, and I've managed to take the majority of the kingdoms of Arabia and Nubia and all of Abyssinia, but the Abbisids own everything north of me, and took Egypt riiiight as I matched strength with its current ruler.

:ninja: Also, is there a console command to change your education trait? I've had 4 or 5 kids educated by midas touched mentors that have turned out with 1 or 2 star stewardship traits and it's really bugging me. My genius heir ended up with Indulgent Wastrel :(

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 23, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

:ninja: Also, is there a console command to change your education trait? I've had 4 or 5 kids educated by midas touched mentors that have turned out with 1 or 2 star stewardship traits and it's really bugging me. My genius heir ended up with Indulgent Wastrel :(

remove_trait indulgent_wastrel
add_trait midas_touched

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
So, this is odd but... I can't seem to get any achievements in the game? I'm starting to feel a little weird about all these hours played shown on Steam but no cheevos gained.

I'm not using any cheats so does anyone know why that's happening? It's just a curious lil' thing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

It's a really really annoying bug.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jenner posted:

So, this is odd but... I can't seem to get any achievements in the game? I'm starting to feel a little weird about all these hours played shown on Steam but no cheevos gained.

I'm not using any cheats so does anyone know why that's happening? It's just a curious lil' thing.

You have to be in Ironman mode.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

remove_trait indulgent_wastrel
add_trait midas_touched

Keep in mind that you can only use those commands on the character you're currently playing, so if you're trying to change your heir's traits you'll need to give him at least a county first so you can switch over. The alternative is save editing, of course, but you'll need to pull up the list of traits on the wiki since they're listed by number in the save.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

This won't help anyone with a game in progress, but if you're gonna start a new Byzantine game at the Old Gods start, stick your chancellor on Rome right away to fabricate a claim. If you manage to grab Rome before the pope starts building more churches, you won't have any problems with that bug.
You also get the potential for a capital Rome with 5 castles. :getin:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

SeaTard posted:

Which really sucks with the autosaves every month. I have just started playing normal games but unlocking achievements with SAM. I don't reload my saves when things happen anyway, so I am still adhering to the "Ironman" principle. I just hate the 2-3 second pause every month.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SeaTard posted:

Not just ironman, but no custom characters either.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

HiroProtagonist posted:

How does I stable government? :downs: I'm really looking most at creating a long-term framework that I can work with without too many changes down the line so that I can focus on knitting together the new conquests into something resembling short-term stability.

I'm using gavelkind and free investiture too, if that factors into any advice. Only one prince-archbishopric as well, the game won't let me create any more than that.

Unless you have more vassals of your dynasty than not, Elective will improve stability, as it will add a +20 opinion bonus.
You run the risk of losing the election, but even if you do, the realm is more likely to stay intact, so you can hope to get it back again.
Elective also helps you select the best heir. Genius has a +5 vassal opinion bonus, Strong has a +10.

My preferred tactic for stability is to be the Roman Empire of course, stacking up various vassal opinion bonuses, so even if you have a crappy heir you will at least get a +15 vassal opinion bonus from the Augustus trait, and another +10 from born in the purple if your heir was born while you were in office.

My current ruler has enough stacking opinion bonuses that the minimum vassal opinion was in the 20s.
That is, until he took a -120 tyranny penalty, and various "Abducted Wife" penalties for taking strong young women as concubines.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Edison was a dick posted:

Unless you have more vassals of your dynasty than not, Elective will improve stability, as it will add a +20 opinion bonus.
You run the risk of losing the election, but even if you do, the realm is more likely to stay intact, so you can hope to get it back again.
Elective also helps you select the best heir. Genius has a +5 vassal opinion bonus, Strong has a +10.

My preferred tactic for stability is to be the Roman Empire of course, stacking up various vassal opinion bonuses, so even if you have a crappy heir you will at least get a +15 vassal opinion bonus from the Augustus trait, and another +10 from born in the purple if your heir was born while you were in office.

Speaking of which, in my current game (made a post on the last page about the situation I'm in; I haven't been able to play since then), where I'm currently the emperor of the Byzantine Empire, and I have two daughters (youngest set to inherit, as she has a son of my dynasty. The eldest was married off to the king of France) and a dead son. So, I - foolishly, in hindsight, as I stupidly lowered crown authority to hopefully throw a spanner in the works for when the next emperor takes over, so internal struggles will be easier - gave my grandson my Kingdom of Georgia, so I've only got the city of Constantinople at this point. So, if I vote for my grandson to become the next emperor, will I take over as him, or will I be my daughter possessing only Constantinople, until my grandson/whoever becomes emperor inevitably takes it via event?

I wouldn't normally be too bothered about it, but I've got a whole heap of duchies that'll otherwise fall out of my control, if I were to no longer be the emperor. :ohdear: (I really should've just stuck with plotting independence...)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, so if I got this right, I can make a merchant republic by making a title-less person a mayor, then granting him the county and the duchy containing it? Is there any way I can make my current character a leader of a republic or is the previous way the only way to do it?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, so if I got this right, I can make a merchant republic by making a title-less person a mayor, then granting him the county and the duchy containing it? Is there any way I can make my current character a leader of a republic or is the previous way the only way to do it?

Not really.

I mean potentially you could make it so that the only two members of your dynasty with titles are you and a Patrician and then die with a non-dynastic heir. That might switch you over.

But unless you're doing Ironman it's probably simpler to just create the republic then quit out and load back up as the Patrician.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SynthOrange posted:

You can do it with console.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Vodos posted:

This won't help anyone with a game in progress, but if you're gonna start a new Byzantine game at the Old Gods start, stick your chancellor on Rome right away to fabricate a claim. If you manage to grab Rome before the pope starts building more churches, you won't have any problems with that bug.
You also get the potential for a capital Rome with 5 castles. :getin:

Yeh I completely forgot to do that so its just churches everywhere. Still I've shifted the capital to Sicily and claimed it all for myself so there's plenty of slots for castles.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I accidentally made a merchant republic in my kingdom of sicily game. I made the mayor of naples the duke of sicily, which created sicily the merchant republic (I was actually trying to create a new duke out of someone who liked me). So now he rules his vassals from napoli, but he doesn't own the actual county. I also can't revoke his title like I wanted to when I first did it. 150 years later though it doesn't seem so bad, they make me cash and the doges tend to become my stewards. I don't have the merchant republic DLC though so I'm a little confused as to whats actually going on. Families from other parts of the world seem to occasionally show up as new patrician families, and I occasionally see boats from families within my republic sailing around the med. I have pretty much no way of interacting with them though, to my knowledge.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's a mod available on the workshop that exists solely to give you the option to become a merchant republic.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I accidentally made a merchant republic in my kingdom of sicily game. I made the mayor of naples the duke of sicily, which created sicily the merchant republic (I was actually trying to create a new duke out of someone who liked me). So now he rules his vassals from napoli, but he doesn't own the actual county. I also can't revoke his title like I wanted to when I first did it. 150 years later though it doesn't seem so bad, they make me cash and the doges tend to become my stewards. I don't have the merchant republic DLC though so I'm a little confused as to whats actually going on. Families from other parts of the world seem to occasionally show up as new patrician families, and I occasionally see boats from families within my republic sailing around the med. I have pretty much no way of interacting with them though, to my knowledge.

You don't need the DLC to have merchant republics exist in your game, you just need it to be able to PLAY them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I wish there was a way to play new republics in an Ironman game.

Actually I wish there was a way to play Ironman with a designed ruler and some quality of life mods and still get cheevos.

• Locked thread