Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

No lie. An exclusive fatal frame gets me one step closer to buying a wiiu in the future. But for course, only if it comes out of Japan. Otherwise we're still in the same situation that the wiiu won't have any more appeal worldwide and I don't think this will help their Japan numbers very much.

Their only hope now is to arbitrarily make games exclusive to Japan, the US, or Europe, in the hope that fans are desperate enough to buy Wii U's from other regions to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
You Nintendo fans don't know what you want! That's why you're still Nintendo fans. Because you're stupid!

Just tell us what's wrong with the freakin' console!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
My Gamepad tastes funny.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Ronnie posted:

You Nintendo fans don't know what you want! That's why you're still Nintendo fans. Because you're stupid!

Note: Iwata
died on the way
back to his
home Planet

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Well gently caress that... I pre-ordered this on Amazon because why the hell not, but I'm not paying full price for part of a game. I'll wait until it gets deeply discounted before picking it up.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

You must be new to video games.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Astro7x posted:

Well gently caress that... I pre-ordered this on Amazon because why the hell not, but I'm not paying full price for part of a game. I'll wait until it gets deeply discounted before picking it up.

To be fair, the game's $10 cheaper than your average 3DS game while also being, as far as I'm aware, the most content-rich in the series, but yeah, I'm not sure I'm entirely pleased with Nintendo's decision, here.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Of all the many cycles this thread goes through, Simpsons quotes is my favorite.

Ronnie posted:

"I don't get it, they like Mario, they like Zelda, one kid seems to love the gamepad, what more do they want?"
-----

"So, who here wants Nintendo to make a console Pokemon game thats just like the main series, with faithfully recreated battles and exploration?

"Ooh, me! Me me me me me!"

"And who here wants them to make just the opposite, with an MMO with instanced dungeons, raids and real time battling?"

"Ooh, me! Me me me me me!"

"So, you want a faithfucl console recreation of a pokemon game, thats an MMO with real time battling and nstanced dungeons, swarming with other players?"

"And also, you should win prizes for playing".

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Just buy all consoles and let Metacritic sort them out. :black101:

Seriously though people kept saying that Nintendo is in panic mode and I just don't see it.

They're taking their sweet time letting their console die.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Just to complete the two year/Dreamcast parallels discussed a couple of pages ago, right on schedule you can now get a brand new Wii U for $99.99:

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/04/nintendo-land-fire-sale/

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Neo Rasa posted:

Just to complete the two year/Dreamcast parallels discussed a couple of pages ago, right on schedule you can now get a brand new Wii U for $99.99:

They called me crazy when I said this would happen.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

If the Dreamcast had the library of the Wii U, all it would have would be games like New Alex Kidd Dreamcast, Altered Beast: Regurgitation, Sonic R 2, and maybe some games from Treasure.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the mario golf dlc thing is hilarious. people want nintendo to get with the times, welp here it is: dlc content.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's Sears doing the markdown, not Nintendo, though.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
When the Dreamcast was marked down to $100, that wasn't Sega either - all the retailers were just trying to get their stock out as fast as they could.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The course split is kind of weird for that Mario Golf game, ten courses in the base game but then you get six extra ones for $15.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Neo Rasa posted:

:allears: Won't be much longer now!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:allears: Won't be much longer now!

Where the gently caress is my Chu Chu Rocket goddamn it?

I will settle for Power Stone 3

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Neo Rasa posted:

Unsurprisingly, it was a database error that's already been fixed. In other news, gently caress

Edit: The Sears rep I spoke to talked my ear off for like 10 minutes about how he wished they didn't fix it so fast so that he could get one and how he wanted to get Wind Waker HD for his birthday next month and how people were nuts to think that cel-shaded Link wasn't the best one and goddammit

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 23, 2014

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Well that's a shame. I unironically think a wiiu would be worth 100 bucks. If we got the X game that would be worth it alone. Then you could grab all the other 1st party titles.

It'll happen one day.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Island Tour is launching with the exact same amount of holes as the last Mario Golf game, Toadstool Tour, and I don't remember people complaining that TT was part of a game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadwing posted:

Island Tour is launching with the exact same amount of holes as the last Mario Golf game, Toadstool Tour, and I don't remember people complaining that TT was part of a game.

This doesn't really matter... We had Mario Kart games with 16 tracks for years, then we had Mario Kart games with 16 tracks + 16 Retro Tracks. If they suddenly decided to launch Mario Kart 8 with 32 Tracks, plus Day 1 DLC with more tracks, I'd probably be just as pissed that it wasn't included in the game at launch.

It's the Day 1 DLC that really gets me...

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'd rather them release the DLC day 1 than release it a year later a la Bioshock Infinite.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Astro7x posted:

It's the Day 1 DLC that really gets me...

If it makes you feel any better without dlc as an option the people who were making courses probably would have moved on to a different game a few months ago and the game just wouldn't have any extra courses. Instead because of DLC they can afford to keep people producing content in late stages of production. They aren't artificially holding back content.

At least that's my understanding about how development teams work. I could be way off and maybe Nintendo is taking advantage of you I don't know.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo is really bad at developing games on time so it's more than likely that they're still working on poo poo. At any rate, I'm surprised that this is where the line would be drawn since NSMB2 had DLC, NSMBU had DLC, Pikmin 3 had DLC, Fire Emblem had DLC, Mario Kart most likely will have DLC, and so will Smash Bros. They're already on that train.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Nintendo's evil top-secret plans: Sell consoles to retailers at full price, wait until retailers are fed up and discount the consoles, thus taking minimal losses per console and still getting them into the hands of more consumers. :downs:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THE loving MOON posted:

Nintendo's evil top-secret plans: Sell consoles to retailers at full price, wait until retailers are fed up and discount the consoles, thus taking minimal losses per console and still getting them into the hands of more consumers. :downs:

Yeah, what are they gonna do, not restock a Nintendo console?

...oh.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Atomicated posted:

If it makes you feel any better without dlc as an option the people who were making courses probably would have moved on to a different game a few months ago and the game just wouldn't have any extra courses. Instead because of DLC they can afford to keep people producing content in late stages of production. They aren't artificially holding back content.

At least that's my understanding about how development teams work. I could be way off and maybe Nintendo is taking advantage of you I don't know.

That's typically how it works, yeah. Like, they're wrapping up and getting ready to print the actual discs this other content isn't finished yet, and now the creative teams can keep making stuff during that stage too. Day 1 DLC is pretty good.

For some reason people complain that the DLC is just "cut content", well yeah it's cut content, that content wasn't ready yet. The alternative is never seeing it at all.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Nintendo doesn't strike me as market savvy enough to think 'wait don't add those 8 courses, we can hold those back for Day 1 DLC *cackle*

They can barely wrap their heads around Day 60 DLC as a concept. Day 1 DLC exploitation is next-level trickery.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Electromax posted:

Nintendo doesn't strike me as market savvy enough to think 'wait don't add those 8 courses, we can hold those back for Day 1 DLC *cackle*

They can barely wrap their heads around Day 60 DLC as a concept. Day 1 DLC exploitation is next-level trickery.

"Heh heh heh, foolish consumers- we'll give them FREE day one DLC! The rubes! Let the money roll in!"

"What? Whattya mean that won't make us any more money? FIRE THAT MAN"

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Barudak posted:

Where the gently caress is my Chu Chu Rocket goddamn it?

I will settle for Power Stone 3

Chu Chu Rocket is on iOS devices now.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Monkey Fracas posted:

"What? Whattya mean that won't make us any more money? FIRE THAT MAN"

They've yet to fire anyone over the Wii_u.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Electromax posted:

Super Luigi U was a ton of content for the value that it was sold for. $20 for 8-12 hours of gameplay? I can get behind that.

I guess that while yes, the team was probably working on content after the game went gold, it never sits well with me.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Astro7x posted:

Super Luigi U was a ton of content for the value that it was sold for. $20 for 8-12 hours of gameplay? I can get behind that.

Basically, NSLU is to NSMBU what The Lost Levels was to SMB1. I guess it's technically DLC, but it always felt like a full sequel to me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Taint Reaper posted:

They've yet to fire anyone over the Wii_u.

Oh don't worry. Iwata will be come June.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh don't worry. Iwata will be come June.

So are Japanese shareholders very understanding people that are willing to give him a chance, or more like Americans where if results are not produced instantly than off with his head? Because for as much as I heard about people having respect for their elders in Japan, when it comes to shareholders people think that there will want him gone.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Astro7x posted:

So are Japanese shareholders very understanding people that are willing to give him a chance, or more like Americans where if results are not produced instantly than off with his head? Because for as much as I heard about people having respect for their elders in Japan, when it comes to shareholders people think that there will want him gone.

His approval rating with investors dropped to 77% last year in June(It was 90% the year prior), and that was back when a lot of people still thought Nintendo could turn the WiiU around. There's no way in hell his approval rating is not going to take another plunge - it he stays above 50% i'll be amazed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TaurusOxford posted:

His approval rating with investors dropped to 77% last year in June(It was 90% the year prior), and that was back when a lot of people still thought Nintendo could turn the WiiU around. There's no way in hell his approval rating is not going to take another plunge - it he stays above 50% i'll be amazed.

Thanks for some facts to that. I am surprised it was at only 77%...

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Astro7x posted:

I guess that while yes, the team was probably working on content after the game went gold, it never sits well with me.

Maybe the best way to look at it is to remove all notions of when and how the dlc was created and simply ask yourself is the base game and its content worth the amount being charged for it in your opinion. Is the dlc worth the amount being asked? And buy what seems like a reasonable exchange of dollars to golf courses. If they were selling just the base game and no dlc would it be a rip off? If the same DLC came out 3 months later would it be a tempting offer?

Games like Katamari Damacy on 360 absolutely felt like they were selling half of a game as a disc and half of a game as DLC but Nintendo sounds like they're making a fair proposition here. Though admittedly I've never played any games in the franchise so I could be way off base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
People are saying the base game has the same amount of courses as the last comparable game in the series (Toadstool Tour on the GameCube*), but that's literally a decade old and from two whole console generations ago, so do you really want to compare it to that? Video games have come so far since then, it seems like a really poor comparison/measure point. We should (and do) hold full-priced first party games to higher standards than that these days, because the standards have risen so much.

* Advance Tour on the GBA came a year later, but that was a full-fledged RPG just like its GBC predecessor so it's not really comparable to 64, Toadstool Tour and World Tour.

• Locked thread