Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

SeanBeansShako posted:

W1A is so dull it makes me loving wish we got a Thick Of It spin off insead. Jesus.

It's not that bad really as a comedy show, and there are some proper belly laugh moments in it. The problem is just that it's not really good satire (which is what it's supposed to be), and neither was Twenty Twelve.

Seb Coe wanted to be in Twenty Twelve. No politician wants to be in The Thick of It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I enjoyed both Twenty Twelve and W1A. Outside of W1A and Stewart Lee, there hasn't exactly been much in the way of good British comedy in the last year... I'll take the few good things that I can get. I'm sure there'll be another Peep Show series at some point in the next 3 years at least.

I'm guessing with Armando doing so well with HBO, he probably won't have that much interest in coming back. Who could blame him?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Great British Menu are basing the competition around World War 1 and D-Day veterans.

So far names of dishes have included Memories of Normandy, Smoke on the Beaches....

I think all they'll serve up is a big plate of PTSD.

Who could possibly think that it was a great idea to make a cookery show around a WWI theme? Cut to some teary eyed old dear who is reliving spending her childhood in an anderson shelter, now back to the chefs who are stressing about if their vinegar jelly has set properly. What an odd show. I did enjoy the judge chef basically telling them all how crap they were yesterday though. Its rare that these shows outright say "you are all terrible".

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Do you guys mean WWII? That was when Anderson shelthers were in use, D-day and the Normandy landings happened, and also the last veteran who was actually involved in the fighting in WWI died several years ago, the only people who were alive during the first war and haven't died yet were children when the fighting was taking place.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Fatkraken posted:

Do you guys mean WWII? That was when Anderson shelthers were in use, D-day and the Normandy landings happened, and also the last veteran who was actually involved in the fighting in WWI died several years ago, the only people who were alive during the first war and haven't died yet were children when the fighting was taking place.

Yeah, it's 70yrs since D-Day but also 100yrs since WW1 so there's a lot of crossover between the two. I think I got mixed up in my original post!

I loved how they all got lambasted yesterday by the chef too. He looked shocked at the stuff they served up!

*Would still have eaten the lot

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
That lass has been on two series now, and every time I expect amazing food (HESTON BLUMENTHAL TRAINED!!!!!) and every time I've been disappointed. I hope she cooks something amazing for the main dish.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That lass has been on two series now, and every time I expect amazing food (HESTON BLUMENTHAL TRAINED!!!!!) and every time I've been disappointed. I hope she cooks something amazing for the main dish.

I'm watching Restaurant Wars and Aidan Byrne (who is often on GBM) is a totally different person. On GBM they make out he's a world class chef when, according to Restaurant Wars, his last Michelin Star was 18yrs ago, he ended up working in a gastro pub after he failed in London and is now trying to rebuild his career....

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jesus. Way to make me feel old. Itv has a program called 'The Waltons at 30' (thats the all female sextuplets, not the wholesome American hillbillies.) I rememeber the hoo-haa about them being born, which got worse and worse until, idk, the Tory Conference got bombed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

thehustler posted:

It's not that bad really as a comedy show, and there are some proper belly laugh moments in it. The problem is just that it's not really good satire (which is what it's supposed to be), and neither was Twenty Twelve.

Seb Coe wanted to be in Twenty Twelve. No politician wants to be in The Thick of It.

If satire is good, politicians should loving HATE it. Seb Coe wanting to be in Twenty Twelve is a failure on the writers' parts tantamount to if Maggie wanted a walk-on on Spitting Image.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 17, 2014

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If satire is good, politicians should loving HATE it. Seb Coe wanting to be in Twenty Twelve is a failure on the writers' parts tantamount to if Maggie wanted a walk-on on Spitting Image.

I don't know; sometimes its best when they don't realise they are getting the piss reipped from them. 2012, however, wasn't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Well, they should publically hate it, and privately wonder who's been bugging the committee meetings.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Trickjaw posted:

Jesus. Way to make me feel old. Itv has a program called 'The Waltons at 30' (thats the all female sextuplets, not the wholesome American hillbillies.) I rememeber the hoo-haa about them being born, which got worse and worse until, idk, the Tory Conference got bombed.
gently caress me that was tv hell, my partner was watching it last night. I have a personal hatred for the scouse accent (yes im sure they would hate mine etc) but it had 6 20 something women who were annoyingly happy all the time and WOULDNT loving SHUT UP FOR A SECOND. They should get sent over to Guantanamo as interrogators, would have the terrists singing like birds within days.

You've got to admire that dad though, that must have been an ordeal bringing that lot up.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Seaside Loafer posted:

gently caress me that was tv hell, my partner was watching it last night. I have a personal hatred for the scouse accent (yes im sure they would hate mine etc) but it had 6 20 something women who were annoyingly happy all the time and WOULDNT loving SHUT UP FOR A SECOND. They should get sent over to Guantanamo as interrogators, would have the terrists singing like birds within days.

You've got to admire that dad though, that must have been an ordeal bringing that lot up.

Surely if the programme was called 'The Waltons at 30' then they weren't 20 somethings?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mickolution posted:

Surely if the programme was called 'The Waltons at 30' then they weren't 20 somethings?

I'm gonna assume that the show was to commemorate their 30th birthday, and that their filming schedule didn't violate the laws of causality.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm gonna assume that the show was to commemorate their 30th birthday, and that their filming schedule didn't violate the laws of causality.

So while 20 something is technically true, it surely woulda been easier to just say they were 29

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
They were born in November 1983.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Welp, 4OD has finally managed to get its adverts past AdBlock. Anyone found a workaround for that?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Have you tried this https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

Maybe they made the whitelist.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just stuck on the BBC2 retrospective panel quiz, anyone else been watching this stuff? Seems weird there are so few music shows on the BBC when they've had so many I've never heard of.

Edit: Brian Cox's impression of Brian Blessed is incredible.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 20, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I've always wanted Brian Cox and Blessed to be involved in the same show. I don't care what the subject would be, the thought alone of them just working together seems pretty awesome.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just stuck on the BBC2 retrospective panel quiz, anyone else been watching this stuff? Seems weird there are so few music shows on the BBC when they've had so many I've never heard of.

Edit: Brian Cox's impression of Brian Blessed is incredible.

Tuned in in time to see this little guy :parrot:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
I've never watched Cardinal Burns but just seen a ad for it doing a poo poo parody of a four year old music video.

So is the show as shitte as that ad?

(Also not UK tv but Fargo was a a million times better than I expected)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Its got Martin Freeman, I'm sure it's fine. Going to give it a go, I love the Cohens.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've always wanted Brian Cox and Blessed to be involved in the same show. I don't care what the subject would be, the thought alone of them just working together seems pretty awesome.

He was on an episode of the infinite monkey cage a while back

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Its got Martin Freeman, I'm sure it's fine. Going to give it a go, I love the Cohens.

Martin Freeman's poo poo though??

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

(Also not UK tv but Fargo was a a million times better than I expected)

Seriously. I was amazed that it isn't poo poo. I guess it goes to show that you really can make anything good by putting Tim from The Office in it (at least in lieu of a Shrek).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

i miss Top of the Pops, and would genuinely make use of a site that did a Daily Show style thing where the entire archive is uploaded and meta tagged by interns. It would be really cool.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Martin Freeman's poo poo though??

Nah he's great.

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

i miss Top of the Pops, and would genuinely make use of a site that did a Daily Show style thing where the entire archive is uploaded and meta tagged by interns. It would be really cool.

Shame we can't get all the episodes thanks to Super Nonce being Super Nonce.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Daius posted:

Nah he's great.

His g/f is well weird though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I've never watched Cardinal Burns but just seen a ad for it doing a poo poo parody of a four year old music video.

So is the show as shitte as that ad.
It has it's moments, just don't try and watch the whole thing in one go.

If you like the temp sketch you'll probably like the rest of it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
ITV need to learn the act of properly spacing their promos. The Tommy Cooper: Not Like That, Like This adverts got old weeks ago and the Prey adverts are dangerous to doing the same.

Still, the music in the Prey promo. :allears:

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
I really enjoyed Rev today. It's certainly taken a turn for the darker recently.

Ralph Fiennes is a natural to carry the authority and sensitivity of a bisohop. And loved Liam Neeson as God.

"Never parachute into an area that you've just bombed"

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 21, 2014

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good idea but tons of episodes were wiped or destroyed - so I doubt there's much genuinely cool stuff in the vaults. They do show classic episodes (on BBC 4?) sometimes. And of course there's always TOTP2 if Steve Wright's shithead voice and idiot comments don't send you into a murderous rage.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

So is the show as shitte as that ad?

I still think the Banksy sketches are really funny but I'm pretty sure I posted one in this thread and everyone was like "GTFO" so YMMV.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Great British Menu, gently caress me. I enjoy the format and the food looks lovely, but I am sick to death of a pretentious michelin starred chef asking another pretentious michelin starred chef if his plate of fish 'really tells the story of D-Day?'. No, it doesn't, you moron, and it never could.

Put some loving ration boxes over every plate and put some helmets and fake tins of spam next to it to remind the old fuckers how poo poo everything was, you cunts.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
:stare: well THAT sure was an episode of Eastenders.

On the one hand, a cute dog having cute puppies and everyone rallying round to comment on the miracle of new life. On the other, a distraught family reacting to the violent murder of a young woman, complete with mortuary viewing and vocal street breakdown.

Kinda a distillation of the entirety of British soaps really.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

I rarely watch it, the girlfriend watches it, but I thought that was pretty clever. You have new life with the pups and Ian dealing with death. It was actually smart writing I thought. Or am I totally overthinking it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I just laughed at Ian Beale doing a Darth Vader NOOOOOO in the street.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Great British Menu, gently caress me. I enjoy the format and the food looks lovely, but I am sick to death of a pretentious michelin starred chef asking another pretentious michelin starred chef if his plate of fish 'really tells the story of D-Day?'. No, it doesn't, you moron, and it never could.

Put some loving ration boxes over every plate and put some helmets and fake tins of spam next to it to remind the old fuckers how poo poo everything was, you cunts.

We watch a lot of cookery shows in our house but between that and the judge patronising the hell out of the female chefs we've been watching this one through fingers. If you keep watching it, play it as a drinking game and drink whenever someone mentions "nailing the brief"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Seaside Loafer posted:

I rarely watch it, the girlfriend watches it, but I thought that was pretty clever. You have new life with the pups and Ian dealing with death. It was actually smart writing I thought. Or am I totally overthinking it.

Oh I totally get what they were going for, but having the juxtaposition of life and death involve PUPPIES rather than a human baby was really loving peculiar. Like you could have had the victims half sister go for her first ultrasound scan, or something nice and life affirming involving Kat's babies, or any one of the other dozen or so infants and fetuses that seem to always be present in Albert Square. Using a goddamn dog was weird