Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of the earlier rank limitations are to avoid / slow down mass botting / exploits in the game. While the gameplay itself can be botted ok-ish even with the hacking "puzzles" trade exploits can pretty seriously screw up the economy and limiting transactions by number and at least some marginal rank isn't the worst way to deal with it either. I'm pretty sure I've been online in games with bots before given how they refused to leave survival missions despite dying repeatedly as Rhinos while uttering no words in chat.
Some pubbies are that stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Piell posted:

Yeah but like, any other damage ult does it instantly.

Absorb can do well over 10,000 damage to everything around you if the counter at the bottom of the screen is accurate. Other damage ults do not do 10,000 damage instantly, and most don't make you invincible for the duration either. If you equip Fleeting Expertise it becomes trivial to use absorb as both a panic button and a way to kill or knockdown everything around you, on just a 4 second delay.

If your teammates are killing everything around you before absorb goes off, it's probably A) because absorb's target drawing means you're making enemies focus on you and not your teammates (which is a good thing), B) because the content you're doing is too easy for it to matter, or C) because your teammates are dumb and decided to waste their energy on their best powers when they saw the swarm around you instead of letting your absorb handle it. Seriously absorb is like a siren song for braindead Rhinos and Novas to start pressing 4 for no reason.

I don't read any of the number sperging that goes on in this thread, I just use Nyx as my go-to character on high level missions and I don't have to worry about anything else. You don't need a really fancy setup besides having a Fleeting Expertise for her to be able to contribute to any content in the game.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 22, 2014

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Can I clone a PS4 Warframe account to PC?

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Piell posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Absorb actually be useful. It's an area damage AoE that A)takes a long loving time and B)relies on a bunch of dudes shooting you. Most of the time I've seen it used, either it doesn't get attacked or everything has already been killed by the time it goes off.

The more absorb stays up (for you to take damage), the more potential damage it will release. It has a counter that tells you how much damage your bubble has absorbed. So, from personal experience, it is best to mod it for duration. Evidently, strength increases the damage further.

It is best used for melee units, because it draws aggro. As a side effect, it is an indirect defense for your team, which will be largely ignored, as mobs will be drawn to your absorb. It is ideal when one of your team members is being revived (not by you).

Absorb is barely effective against ranged units,. This is where chaos kicks in. You cast it, and let them kill themselves. Having said that, you do not need duration, because chaos afflicted units tend to kill each other quickly. There is a catch though, you cannot recast chaos until the last afflicted unit is dead, or it expires. So, you want its duration be short, and spam it.

Ideally, you have two setups for Nyx.

One for dealing with infected, which focuses on absorb (and mind control, for targeting single, powerful units such as ancient healers), equipping strength and duration mods.

The other dealing with ranged units such as corrupted, grineer and corpus, which focuses on chaos (and psychic bolts as a complement), and is modded for efficiency (less energy cost) and maximum radius, while lowering duration.

In high level battles, where it matters, Nyx is devastating. And other AOE casters need massive modding to even hope to match Nyx's crowd control abilities.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 22, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Wait, why doesn't Absorb work well for ranged units? Is the aggro radius really small or something?

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

hooah posted:

Wait, why doesn't Absorb work well for ranged units? Is the aggro radius really small or something?

Maximized for range, Absorb has an explosion radius of 23.5 meters, that is too short to effective against ranged units, who will, you know, shoot you from afar.

Without modding, a mark 3 Absorb has a ten meter radius, which is not very good against anyone with a gun. Besides, why would you want to mod for range, when you want everyone to get as close as possible to your bubble and receive as much damage as possible?

Since you want to mod for duration (to absorb as much damage as possible and draw aggro for as long as possible), norrow minded is the mod you are looking for, which also reduces range dramatically.

With that setup, most if not all ranged units won't be affected by the blast. It means you are hosed once the bubble is gone. The AI won't require other targets. Check how much damage have you absorbed before the bubble runs out. If it is a nice, big number, congratulations, you are dead.

I am talking serious fire power in high level runs, versus corpus tech, bombards, napalms, elite corpus, machine gunners. These guys shoot from across the map for massive damage. Why bother with absorb when chaos fits in perfectly against these units who, in turn, will be cutting themselves to pieces in an instant.

Maximized Chaos has a radius of 60 meters. And it will affect all units in that radius. Most halls are smaller than 60 meters across.

While there is nothing preventing you from using chaos on infested/melee units, oftentimes, they are already close to you and your team members, clawing faces, so they will keep at it in spite of chaos.

This is why I do not find chaos all that great against infested, and why I prefer absorb against this unit types, instead.

It is all about making the best out of your frame abilities.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 23, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm about 12 hours or so in and am running around with Excalibur and standard gear still with a few mod upgrades. Would anyone mind dragging me through some missions so I can stock up on gear later? I'm just getting into Mars now and soloing/dealing with pubbies is just annoying as poo poo.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

88h88 posted:

I'm about 12 hours or so in and am running around with Excalibur and standard gear still with a few mod upgrades. Would anyone mind dragging me through some missions so I can stock up on gear later? I'm just getting into Mars now and soloing/dealing with pubbies is just annoying as poo poo.

If you can hang around for 3 more hours, I'll be back from work and merrily carry you all over the place until you get a bunch of nice poo poo to impress all the girls with.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

:doh: I completely ignored that Absorb would have a damage radius. Duh!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Fat_Cow posted:

Can I clone a PS4 Warframe account to PC?
No, nor is it likely that this will ever be possible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I love cats posted:

If you can hang around for 3 more hours, I'll be back from work and merrily carry you all over the place until you get a bunch of nice poo poo to impress all the girls with.

That would be awesome actually. I'll jump online in a wee bit so shout up if you see me online, I'm crispy_rapcakes on Warframe.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

88h88 posted:

I know the feeling, running with pubbies in any game is horrid but it seems (that or I'm very unlucky) that it's acute in warframe. The amount of times I have people who don't seem to be able to read a map and find their way to an objective is retarded.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

I know the feeling, running with pubbies in any game is horrid but it seems (that or I'm very unlucky) that it's acute in warframe. The amount of times I have people who don't seem to be able to read a map and find their way to an objective is retarded.

To be fair, sometimes the map is a god damned dirty liar or gives directions that don't make any sense, which happens often in large rooms with multiple levels and entrances.

Though I swear one time I saw a pubby fail at hacking. Apparently such a thing is actually possible.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It really depends on what you're doing, I think. People running towers or the new Pluto Dark Sectors tend to be reasonably compenent and even friendly sometimes.

Yeah, the new waypoints STILL gently caress me up in bigger rooms. I'm basically the idiot when I run with alliance folks anymore.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Echophonic posted:

It really depends on what you're doing, I think. People running towers or the new Pluto Dark Sectors tend to be reasonably compenent and even friendly sometimes.

Yeah, the new waypoints STILL gently caress me up in bigger rooms. I'm basically the idiot when I run with alliance folks anymore.

I really wish there were an "I'm a big boy" setting for the minimaps that would forgo waypointing and just point me to the exit.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

Male Man posted:

I really wish there were an "I'm a big boy" setting for the minimaps that would forgo waypointing and just point me to the exit.

I just wish the minimap was somewhat 3D like Metroid Prime's minimap. It'd help with some of the vertical tiles. A few other dudes and I got stuck in one Earth tile for like 5 minutes straight because it was a vertical maze of water pipes and ramps.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How about just giving us a waypoint marker like the one players can drop instead of just a mark on the minimap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Any idea just what the gently caress is wrong with my being able to connect to goon invite games? I'm just flat out unable to do so...

I've tried adjusting ping but that would only make a difference for pubbie search games surely? An invite is an invite. Port settings and such, anything I should try? I'd quite like to get in on some goon action at some point. :(

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
Does the invite specify the name of the player inviting you? If not, then its actually a new account bug. You need to add someone to your friends list first to fix this.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

mechanicalFactory posted:

I just wish the minimap was somewhat 3D like Metroid Prime's minimap. It'd help with some of the vertical tiles. A few other dudes and I got stuck in one Earth tile for like 5 minutes straight because it was a vertical maze of water pipes and ramps.

That area gets me every loving time :argh:.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Fourthmeal Fanboy posted:

That area gets me every loving time :argh:.

I hate that loving room.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Aenslaed posted:

Does the invite specify the name of the player inviting you? If not, then its actually a new account bug. You need to add someone to your friends list first to fix this.

No there wasn't a name attached so I'll give this a go, thanks.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Tykero posted:

I hate that loving room.

Instead of rushing through it, maybe you should take some time to enjoy the jet elevators and the water slides. It's very relaxing to just slide your cares away as you snipe rotting space jerks in the head.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tykero posted:

I hate that loving room.

I played since closed beta and I remember there were a few rooms in the original tileset that had doors right above each other so it was incredibly easy to gently caress up and go through the wrong one and dead end after going through a dozen or so pointless rooms.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

chumbler posted:

To be fair, sometimes the map is a god damned dirty liar or gives directions that don't make any sense, which happens often in large rooms with multiple levels and entrances.

Though I swear one time I saw a pubby fail at hacking. Apparently such a thing is actually possible.

Yeh I can understand the way point not exactly being reliable but they at least point in the general direction you should be heading I'm talking about those pubbies that run in the complete opposite direction then have a hissy fit in chat saying they cant find the objective just to get an "oh yeah" when I point out the map has a big red indicator telling you the direction.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thrasophius posted:

Yeh I can understand the way point not exactly being reliable but they at least point in the general direction you should be heading I'm talking about those pubbies that run in the complete opposite direction then have a hissy fit in chat saying they cant find the objective just to get an "oh yeah" when I point out the map has a big red indicator telling you the direction.

Not excusing those who can actually see it and just ignore it, but it's somewhat common to have waypoints completely drop off your minimap. That sucks.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I recently introduced a friend to Warframe, and he can't seem to see the blue player indicators when I'm outside of his visible minimap range.

It was my understanding that the player indicators functioned much like the waypoint/objective markers: If not on screen, then on map edge.

Is that not how it works? It's how I've always found people during the larger survival tilesets.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

hooah posted:

Not excusing those who can actually see it and just ignore it, but it's somewhat common to have waypoints completely drop off your minimap. That sucks.

I'm willing to bet that's what happened then as that would explain how often I get people like that. I must be quite lucky/not looking at the map because can't say I've noticed it happening to myself.

edit to answer question ^^^

The player icons do work the same way as objective icons so it may be that when you are in the direction of the objective your player icon is hidden below the objective icon so your friend cant see where you are. Try getting him to up the HUD size, see if that makes a difference

Thrasophius fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 23, 2014

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Thrasophius posted:

Try getting him to up the HUD size, see if that makes a difference

Cheers, I'll do that.

Seems odd though, as when I'm pulling him past the 30 min mark in survival, and there are no objective markers on screen, he still can't seem to see the indicator.

It's frustrating for me as well, as I can't take all the parkour shortcuts and crouch-climbs I'm used to, seeing as he just loses track almost instantly.

Will report back in about 8 hours if that fixed it, or if this is yet another bug.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Cainer posted:

Just take out your melee weapon and block! I was pretty drat surprised when I tried that and it worked. Seriously though, those guys are dicks and I kill them at first opportunity every time I see them.

This is going to sound so bad, but... there's a loving block button? Besides what you just mentioned, what is it helpful for? I'm either getting shot or blown up by stuff at range, and enemy melee tends to have huge windups so it is usually faster to act first before they actually hit you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheMostFrench posted:

This is going to sound so bad, but... there's a loving block button? Besides what you just mentioned, what is it helpful for? I'm either getting shot or blown up by stuff at range, and enemy melee tends to have huge windups so it is usually faster to act first before they actually hit you.

When you have your melee weapon equipped you can hold right click to block, which blocks pretty much all damage coming from the direction you're blocking. I think that you stagger melee enemies if you block but it's pretty much always better to just stab them.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

TheMostFrench posted:

You also block bullets. Ember with a World on Fire build and a melee weapon out just blocking is a valid play style.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
if you actually need to block, you probably aren't going to be effective just relying on WoF.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well some goons and I finally got Tranquil Cleave from Cambria as a quad-Nekros team.

Now I can be underwhelmed by it when I finally get around to taking the Space Katana + 1 version out of the foundry.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Well some goons and I finally got Tranquil Cleave from Cambria as a quad-Nekros team.

Now I can be underwhelmed by it when I finally get around to taking the Space Katana + 1 version out of the foundry.

Really, it's best for the +10 mod points it gives the nikanas, which lets you immediately jam a maxed out pressure point into the sword when it's unranked and fully load the sword up without needing forma.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 23, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TheMostFrench posted:

Are you on PS4? You're right that blocking absolutely is pointless pre-update 13, so you can ignore it on PS4 at the moment. Update 13 turns it into a way to shrug off basically all damage as long as you have stamina, which is pretty awesome all around.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
So, quick question about Harvester and the G3. If you get marked for one, does it override the other? I've seen the Three pop up plenty of times now, but Harvester hasn't shown up once, even when I'm running invasions for the Grineer.

I want my Detron receiver, dangit!

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Working my way through the dojo weapons, trying to find some fun stuff but wow, do the people who design these actually play the game? Barely any have polarity slots, so right out of the gate most are severely disappointing unless I want to blow a potato on them which I don't, those things are hard to come by. Most of the weapons just don't seem very worth what resources you throw in to make em, I'm not made out of forma dammit! The only ones I have found that have been fun were the Marelock, Synapse and the Rocket Hammer. Marelock especially, thing is my favourite side arm for turning enemies into hamburger.

Grinding up the Torrid right now, I was not expecting a fart cannon. I don't suppose it becomes good by 30 does it?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can make the Torid questionably useful under certain circumstances but it will never be any fun.

If you want both fun and useful from dojo weapons, get the Ogris and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Nope!

Build an Ignis.

e:fb