Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Baby One More Time is actually good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Co-written by Chad Kroeger ladies and gents!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

weekly font posted:

Co-written by Chad Kroeger ladies and gents!

I like to think he wrote the beginning intro.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Avril Lavigne, like most has-been pop stars of a previous decade, is immensely, inexplicably popular in Japan. This isn't cultural appropriation; it's more like assimilation.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I re-listened to Bionic (the album that drat near destroyed Christina Aguilera's career) and honestly if they cut 1/3 of the tracks it would've been a smash hit. Release Bionic as the lead single, drop the desperate attempts at controversy like I Hate Boys and Not Myself Tonight, focus on the slower electro tunes and ballads as follow up singles, and it would've been at the top of the charts.

Lotus was pretty halfhearted too. I hope for her next album she goes for an early 90s deep house kind of sound, I think she has a great voice for that.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Speaking of popstars of the olden days - Mariah Carey is rumored to be the one 'doing a Beyoncé'.

It probably won't go well.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

General consensus is that it is either Mariah or Lana Del Rey, but Mariah's album won't be much of a surprise because anyone who cares knows that it's been "done" for ages. Aside from a couple recent leaks from LDR, her album would be a surprise but not nearly as major as someone like Beyonce popping out a brand new secret video album while touring.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

It's Mariah; Billboard confirmed it (and thus spoiled the surprise, but who really cares about Mariah in 2014?) http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6069828/mariah-carey-secret-album-beyonce-billboard-cover-story

Lana doing it wouldn't make much sense; she casts a wide net. Her "West Coast" release has also been messy with Interscope remixing it and replacing the original track with a single/radio mix when it became a surprise hit.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 25, 2014

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Spiteski posted:

What the loving gently caress.

Did some rich random just pay her retarded amounts of money for that? Because holy crap that's bad. I can't even like it in a funny hate-like way.
And it's so out of nowhere. She surely hasn't stooped this low? I mean, her last two albums were pretty good for the most part.

The rest of the album is nothing like this song, which is specifically only being released as a single in Japan. For the most part the other tracks are business as usual-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsRrQrbepR8

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, it's hardly her best work (maybe I've just grown up a little though), but the rest of the album is okay. Honestly, it doesn't actually sound too terrible in my opinion. If it was from someone else, and not about weird hello kitty poo poo, it'd be okay. It wouldn't seem too out of place on some jpop compilation. I'd rather she do something more in character, but I don't hate it. It sounds okay, and I'm not going to demand high art of my dumb pop music.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Avril Lavigne posted:

The rest of the album is nothing like this song, which is specifically only being released as a single in Japan. For the most part the other tracks are business as usual-

I think Hello Kitty is jarring for Western audiences because of how familiar we are with these cultural elements that Japan has exported. Japanese culture has lost it's cultural cache in the West considering how dominant it was in media: Hello Kitty and kawaii are the cultural zombies in our landscape of "hipster bullshit" (to quote Avril :v:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuNTO31FlY8

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Tezzeract posted:

I think Hello Kitty is jarring for Western audiences because of how familiar we are with these cultural elements that Japan has exported. Japanese culture has lost it's cultural cache in the West considering how dominant it was in media: Hello Kitty and kawaii are the cultural zombies in our landscape of "hipster bullshit" (to quote Avril :v:)
That's a weird take, are you saying that people are reacting poorly because Japanese culture just isn't as popular as it was in the past? I think people's complaints are more that it's a lovely pastiche of Japanese culture.

That said, I have no idea what her popularity is like in Japan and it seems entirely plausible that her Japanese fans have no problem with her doing a lovely pastiche as a nod to them.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Avril Lavigne posted:

:monocle: That song is goddamn fabulous, why on Earth hasn't it been a single yet?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Joramun posted:

:monocle: That song is goddamn fabulous, why on Earth hasn't it been a single yet?

Yea this would have been a much better launch single. At least, for us not in Japan I guess. :shrug:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Joramun posted:

Most of the songs on Avril's new album are actually pretty fun. I especially love 17 and Bitchin' Summer, but some of the songs seem to stick out as quite bad such as the Marilyn Manson one. And of course the Hello Kitty song.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Is it bad I found this song very catchy? Come come kitty kitty you're so pretty pretty I must be Akihabara again

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 27, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stalins Moustache posted:

Most of the songs on Avril's new album are actually pretty fun. I especially love 17 and Bitchin' Summer, but some of the songs seem to stick out as quite bad such as the Marilyn Manson one. And of course the Hello Kitty song.

How strongly felt is the presence of the Most Boring Rock Star In the World?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Holy poo poo she managed to make her lovely husband's lovely band's lovely song even shittier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCS6p3JJyaQ

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

weekly font posted:

Holy poo poo she managed to make her lovely husband's lovely band's lovely song even shittier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCS6p3JJyaQ

I don't know, I still think this is the one good melody Chad Kroeger managed to write in his life. And I say that as someone who completely despises Nickleback.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 28, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

het posted:

That's a weird take, are you saying that people are reacting poorly because Japanese culture just isn't as popular as it was in the past? I think people's complaints are more that it's a lovely pastiche of Japanese culture.

That said, I have no idea what her popularity is like in Japan and it seems entirely plausible that her Japanese fans have no problem with her doing a lovely pastiche as a nod to them.

I guess I'm trying to argue that the reason why people think its lovely is because the consumerist/cultural icons have lost so much of the previous cache. Hello Kitty in America harkens to economic 'backwardness', the idea of running the small ethnic goods shop and being separate from the mainstream (and the isolation that comes from that.) Hello Kitty in Japan is one of their proud economic symbols and has luxury status (with golden Hello Kitties and huge dolls.)

The whole cultural appropriation thing seems valid on the surface, but there's always been the back and forth cultural remixing aspect between the West and Japan, from food to movies. Hello Kitty's (the song) authenticity comes from mirroring the subversion of the mainstream that you see in Japanese media, where the clean image of the surface clashes with the dissonance (the dubstep) and dissatisfaction with corporatism/consumerism.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 28, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
2002 was a great year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WYHDfJDPDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx3WX4DES0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le0BOGFGQ6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb37Nh_Sg4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBGUFzGnsII

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MooCowlian posted:

it doesn't actually sound too terrible

MooCowlian posted:

It wouldn't seem too out of place on some jpop compilation.

Well which one is it? You can't have it both ways.

Tezzeract posted:

Hello Kitty in America harkens to economic 'backwardness', the idea of running the small ethnic goods shop and being separate from the mainstream

It does? The last time I remember seeing Hello Kitty stuff was back in the 90's when there were huge racks of Hello Kitty stuff at the Tower Records in my area, though literally every school supply store that I remember going to as a kid had all kinds of Hello Kitty crap in it. I don't remember it ever being associated with an "ethnic goods store" and it was very mainstream. :confused:

I guess it's not as popular now but I would see it more as just a retro thing, not "economic backwardness" that poo poo made a lot of money.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 29, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna sound like a huge dork here, but I finally caught up with The Voice last night, and part of the elimination round filler was Shakira doing a performance of Empire that was pretty drat great. Anyone else see that poo poo? Obviously some of it was pre-recorded or whatever (she can't exactly sing two different things at once) but some of the live vocals sounded better than the studio version.

It's definitely one of those songs that make you wonder how someone with such a weird rear end voice became so huge in the first place, but in a good way.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Shakira is the best.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fenrir posted:

I'm gonna sound like a huge dork here, but I finally caught up with The Voice last night, and part of the elimination round filler was Shakira doing a performance of Empire that was pretty drat great. Anyone else see that poo poo? Obviously some of it was pre-recorded or whatever (she can't exactly sing two different things at once) but some of the live vocals sounded better than the studio version.

It's definitely one of those songs that make you wonder how someone with such a weird rear end voice became so huge in the first place, but in a good way.

She got huge in latin america first then basically took over the world.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I'd like to thank Shakira and her rendition of 'Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)' for helping my squad through some mind-numbing times.

LOVE YOUUUU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Mariah Carey's new album, "Me. I Am Mariah… The Elusive Chanteuse," is coming out May 27.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
That sounds like Jon Wurster named it

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Sounds like an anime episode title

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

She also did a photo shoot with everyone's favorite photographer: Terry Richardson.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Sounds like a new FYAD meme

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
There better drat well be some new jack swing tracks on there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

the truth posted:

Mariah Carey's new album, "Me. I Am Mariah… The Elusive Chanteuse," is coming out May 27.

Obviously, she couldn't pick between her top three ideas and just went with them all.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wasn't "The Art Of Letting Go" supposed to be the name of the album for a hot minute? The single had the same swimsuit and sunset on the cover as the final album, but now it's reduced to being a bonus track on the deluxe version of the album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New thread title is incredible :allears:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

the truth posted:

Wasn't "The Art Of Letting Go" supposed to be the name of the album for a hot minute? The single had the same swimsuit and sunset on the cover as the final album, but now it's reduced to being a bonus track on the deluxe version of the album.

Presumably because it didn't exactly set the charts on fire they decided to change/bonus track it.

Also 'elusive' is probably the last thing to use to describe Mariah unless you're talking of her recent chart successes. It's a pretty ridiculously great album name though.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Has anyone heard Lily Allen's new album yet? Is it any good?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I've only listened to it once so far, so I can't make a final judgement yet, but it's at least worth a listen. It's mostly electronic pop (not too dancey though), with a few detours here and there. Hard Out There was a good choice for a first single, and a couple of other tracks (L8 CMMR, URL Badman) stand out on the first listen. I still don't like Air Balloon. A couple of tracks blend together, but that might change after I've spent some time with the album. It's not as unique in its sound as her debut was, and I doubt anyone will ever rate it as highly, but it's definitely not bad.

EDIT: Actually, saying it's "mostly electronic pop" doesn't really fit that well. There's a strong R'n'B influence here, which these days is mostly electronic at it's core, but it's not electronic pop in the way of an ARTPOP.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 4, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

the truth posted:

She also did a photo shoot with everyone's favorite photographer: Terry Richardson.

Found her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I too gave it a whirl and I also think it's worth a listen. I like Air Balloon, L8 CMMR, Take My Place and Our Time although I'll be the first to admit those are the more 'poppy' songs on the album.

The album's definitely quite RnB influenced.