Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

RentACop posted:

If you're like me you enjoy CCG's but find the android offerings to be far too light, without the years of built-up cruft of a real ccg. Well, Ygopro has all of yugiohs ridiculous nonsense amounts of decktypes, "runs itself" for lack of a better term, and also has AI opponents. It's basically the DS/PSP games with a modern cardset (I haven't kept up they've got some crazy poo poo now :psyduck: ) , without the singleplayer storyline part

Oh my god yes, that is amazing. I've played a bit of it so far and the interface seems totally functional for a fan effort, though I can't speak to the AI yet. Thanks for posting about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I botched a Google survey. I fumbled my phone and I hit the wrong thing by accident on question 1 of 8, and it immediately gave me $0.18 and ended. Does it give you future surveys based on the answers to previous surveys?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Paper Monsters, R-Type (the first one) and Enviro-Bear 2010 got added to the current Humble Bundle. Personally, I haven't been too excited about this current bundle unfortunately.

Also two of games from it (The Room Two and The Cave) are currently more than 50% off in the Play Store.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

New Leaf posted:

I botched a Google survey. I fumbled my phone and I hit the wrong thing by accident on question 1 of 8, and it immediately gave me $0.18 and ended. Does it give you future surveys based on the answers to previous surveys?

Potentially. At this point I get completely different surveys than my fiance and at different frequencies (she gets them way more often).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't played it much yet, but that Shattered Planet roguelike seems very polished and fun with lots of cute monsters to kill and befriend. I'm waiting for the IAP paywall or whatever because it seems too good to be true so far.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Rapner posted:

drat it, I really didn't like the idea of Disco Zoo when I read about it. Tiny Towers was fun but got boring, Tiny Trains was more of the same. Disco Zoo will be just the same, I thought!

Now I have 300 animals and check in once an hour to keep the cash flowing. This is a very nice skinner box.
I'm the same. I haven't enjoyed a Nimblebit game since the lilypad leaping frog game, but I've been playing around with Disco Zoo for a week or so now. It's Cookie Clicker in my pocket.

Excalibur_Z
Oct 2, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Potentially. At this point I get completely different surveys than my fiance and at different frequencies (she gets them way more often).

The surveys are probably targeted to different user groups (they would have to be, if the marketing people doing the surveys want feedback on different demographics). Mine gets a lot more surveys too. She's earned about $8 and I've only earned $3. Maybe more men are aware of this app than women? Let this be a lesson, gentlemen: say you're female when you download this app and roll around in your bed full of credits.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Excalibur_Z posted:

The surveys are probably targeted to different user groups (they would have to be, if the marketing people doing the surveys want feedback on different demographics). Mine gets a lot more surveys too. She's earned about $8 and I've only earned $3. Maybe more men are aware of this app than women? Let this be a lesson, gentlemen: say you're female when you download this app and roll around in your bed full of credits.

Don't do this because Google already knows what gender you are. A lot of times the survey questions are to confirm how trustworthy you are as a subject, you could potentially stop getting questions altogether

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

RentACop posted:

If you're like me you enjoy CCG's but find the android offerings to be far too light, without the years of built-up cruft of a real ccg. Well, Ygopro has all of yugiohs ridiculous nonsense amounts of decktypes, "runs itself" for lack of a better term, and also has AI opponents. It's basically the DS/PSP games with a modern cardset (I haven't kept up they've got some crazy poo poo now :psyduck: ) , without the singleplayer storyline part

Never played Yu Gi Oh but I like CCGs so why not?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

highme posted:

After my 3rd or 4th attempt at installing (the last one after deleting & re-downloading the SDK) with the same results, I came here to check to see if it was just me.

So, what's up "The Cave installation process doesn't work on my Droid MAXX" buddy?

I emailed Humble about it yesterday, but the auto response said to wait a few days on a response. I'll update with what I hear back, even though they'll probably tell me to get with the developers...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

RentACop posted:

First impressions: some small annoyances at phone size, but the game seems playable. Not sure how deckbuilding is going to hold up. Puzzles go straight to the thorny, difficult problems without any easier ones to warm up with - or if there are easier ones, the list is not in order of difficulty.

Seems pretty neat.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
What are some good games where it doesn't demand your full attention? For example something like 2048, turn based games, puzzle games, etc. I tend to play on my phone while watching tv or I'll play on phone while waiting for the bus and then get back to it a few hours later.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

losonti tokash posted:

It controls fine and the pause button is pretty close to where my thumb is when I hold the tablet. You don't have to pixel hunt for items either since there's a button that just highlights everything you can see that can be clicked on.

Am I misremembering, or did the tab button do the exact same thing on the pc version?

I've been playing shattered planet, and it's possible that there's something I'm missing, but it seems like the only strategy to getting very far is to grind up those triangles and crystals. The rooms are tiny and often filled with unavoidable enemies, and the only items I seem to find with any frequency are those unidentified fluids, but not in a large enough quantity for me to actually use any after I test them out on a crab.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

ponzicar posted:

I've been playing shattered planet, and it's possible that there's something I'm missing, but it seems like the only strategy to getting very far is to grind up those triangles and crystals. The rooms are tiny and often filled with unavoidable enemies, and the only items I seem to find with any frequency are those unidentified fluids, but not in a large enough quantity for me to actually use any after I test them out on a crab.

I think that's the point of the game, to grind away in the relative safety of the first world so you can afford to level up and get good enough equipment to take on the harder levels.

I also think its a bit annoying that the game doesn't remember what each color fluid does, especially when you're several levels in and low on health and you hope that red vial doesn't set you on fire.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

mrkillboy posted:

I also think its a bit annoying that the game doesn't remember what each color fluid does, especially when you're several levels in and low on health and you hope that red vial doesn't set you on fire.

It does, but it re-randomises them on every new expedition. Once you hit a critter with one, it'll be identified for the rest of that run.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

It does, but it re-randomises them on every new expedition. Once you hit a critter with one, it'll be identified for the rest of that run.

Yep, this is pretty standard for roguelikes. If you search for Nethack FAQs, you can find entire guides to narrowing down and identifying potions and scrolls based on their prices in the shop, their effects, their frequency, etc.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Geektox posted:

Don't do this because Google already knows what gender you are. A lot of times the survey questions are to confirm how trustworthy you are as a subject, you could potentially stop getting questions altogether

What a weird world we live in...

Sorry guys been browsing the thread kind of hard to understand with all the phone jab and stuff. I really like clash of clans and pixeldungeon the rougelike game. Everything on the market whether its pay or free seems like total poo poo. Any recommendations? I have a Moto X I think? Thanks.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Well that's a bummer. The question was "Do you watch television programs at home?" I'm assuming that I hit No when I was trying not to drop the drat thing since it closed immediately. Guess I don't get any more TV questions!

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

mrkillboy posted:

Paper Monsters, R-Type (the first one) and Enviro-Bear 2010 got added to the current Humble Bundle. Personally, I haven't been too excited about this current bundle unfortunately.

Also two of games from it (The Room Two and The Cave) are currently more than 50% off in the Play Store.

Personally I think I got my moneys worth (4 USD) with Bag It! and The Room Two, which tided me over a long boring bus ride. And I haven't even touched The Cave yet. But of course it depends on how much entertainment you need to get out of your Android Gaming Dollar to make it worthwhile :shrug:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
E: ack, THIS IS NOT AUSPOL

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Once you hit anything, or nothing, with one. You can throw them at empty spaces and you'll still find out what it would have done, and sometimes you can accidentally set up traps by doing that if you throw a corrosive potion.

I like using something that'll blow up entire tiles on the starting space, just to stop the blight from spreading in the early stages. Something like the Big Red Button, if I have any spare. It's tough to explore when you have no weapons, a lovely army helmet on your head and only a limited time until the entire map is spawning blighted crabs that move stupid fast and deal way too much damage.

Also, I just got the briefcase at the end of the first Hard stage and teleported away, after trying to fight the thing at the end three or four times to no effect. I wish this game loaded a little faster, it's such a great wait-for-a-metro/bathroom/timekiller little thing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

losonti tokash posted:

You don't have to pixel hunt for items either since there's a button that just highlights everything you can see that can be clicked on.

Hot drat, that's amazing. Honestly, pixel-hunting for "hidden" items on the large wilderness areas was the worst. I know they never put any quest items there, those were always clearly on a dead body or well-seen chest, but I remember there are some powerful magic items you can find*, but it was a slog if you didn't use a guide. Although this way is almost too easy...but I guess with a smaller screen you don't see as much area at once, so it's still a half-slog in that you have to aimlessly walk around until you explore that whole area.

I might have to get this for my Nexus 7. I was debating getting the Steam version, but it's hard because I literally got Baldur's Gate 1 from GoG (and then downloaded and installed all the "right" mods for it) literally a month before Baldur's Gate: EE was announced. Though it still wasn't released for several months after that, there is that sting of buying the same game twice in, like, a year and a half.

So I guess it makes sense to get the mobile version, since EE is, in some ways, the original version with all those mods IO installed.

*Isn't there some powerful ring (for wizards?) you can get literally, like, two minutes after leaving the tutorial area (Candlekeep,) hidden on some tree?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DrBouvenstein posted:

*Isn't there some powerful ring (for wizards?) you can get literally, like, two minutes after leaving the tutorial area (Candlekeep,) hidden on some tree?

That (like the other bullshit pixel-hunt caches) was actually there for debugging. The developers put a bunch of random item caches around so that, when they needed to use an item for testing (for example, to see if the Ring of Wizardry works correctly with buffs and debuffs and the like), they could put it in one of those caches and easily get it from a fresh save.

They forgot to clear them all out before shipping the game, so people found them containing whatever a developer last put in them during debugging. Some of those items are more useful than others.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

I might have to get this for my Nexus 7. I was debating getting the Steam version, but it's hard because I literally got Baldur's Gate 1 from GoG (and then downloaded and installed all the "right" mods for it) literally a month before Baldur's Gate: EE was announced. Though it still wasn't released for several months after that, there is that sting of buying the same game twice in, like, a year and a half.

I have BG I and II on PC and haven't played them for ages. I always end up quitting after 1h of trying to replay them.

BG on a mobile device is whole different story though. I can't really explain why but it's so much more enjoyable because they did a great job porting it. I think it's because I can't immerse myself in long PC playing sessions anymore (unless for new games) and surprisingly BG is perfect for short mobile sessions too.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Does it take long to figure everything out past the tutorial? It froze on my first go around and didn't save anything, so I restarted and have only made it to the Cleric introduction in the tutorial, but it already seems like a lot of information to take in.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

New Leaf posted:

Does it take long to figure everything out past the tutorial? It froze on my first go around and didn't save anything, so I restarted and have only made it to the Cleric introduction in the tutorial, but it already seems like a lot of information to take in.

I guess it depends if you played the original? If not, considering the length of the game, spending a few minutes in the tutorial isn't a bad idea.

But I completely skipped the tutorial, only took a few minutes to remember how the interface works, how to hide and steal with thiefs, how to select and cast spells, how to select AI scripts etc. I guess you could still figure these things on the go checking on the net.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

i like tacos posted:

What are some good games where it doesn't demand your full attention? For example something like 2048, turn based games, puzzle games, etc. I tend to play on my phone while watching tv or I'll play on phone while waiting for the bus and then get back to it a few hours later.

Dungeon18 and Retro RPG Puzzle are my personal favourite. Spellchain is alright, too.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried to play BG years ago and died over and over again to the enemy in the first town that you go to after the starting area, outside the inn. He was some kind of ridiculous wizard guy who would fireball the poo poo out of me. And then I quit. Is this still a thing?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

i like tacos posted:

Majesty.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tunga posted:

I tried to play BG years ago and died over and over again to the enemy in the first town that you go to after the starting area, outside the inn. He was some kind of ridiculous wizard guy who would fireball the poo poo out of me. And then I quit. Is this still a thing?

It's not an easy game. Tactical combats are a key part of it (pausing!). Even more in the 2nd. A basic understanding of the combat rules is clearly not superfluous. Also being level 1 is hard since you have so few HP, it gets a bit easier when leveling up.

edit: I think there's a difficulty slider though.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 23, 2014

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I guess it depends if you played the original? If not, considering the length of the game, spending a few minutes in the tutorial isn't a bad idea.

But I completely skipped the tutorial, only took a few minutes to remember how the interface works, how to hide and steal with thiefs, how to select and cast spells, how to select AI scripts etc. I guess you could still figure these things on the go checking on the net.

I never played it. I guess once I'm not being bombarded by new info it will get easier to sit down and play, but when you've only got a few minutes at a time, it is a lot to take in.

Also, my freeze came from starting the game, getting into the tutorial, then having to close the cover of my Nexus 7 and coming back. It was stuck on a black screen but I could bring up my Back and Home buttons and everything. I had to force-close it and restart from scratch. Do I have to save and quit every time I want to put it down?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

New Leaf posted:

Also, my freeze came from starting the game, getting into the tutorial, then having to close the cover of my Nexus 7 and coming back. It was stuck on a black screen but I could bring up my Back and Home buttons and everything. I had to force-close it and restart from scratch. Do I have to save and quit every time I want to put it down?

I would recommend to at least save. I sometimes get freezes when switching apps. Hopefully he quicksave button is easily accessed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jabor posted:

That (like the other bullshit pixel-hunt caches) was actually there for debugging. The developers put a bunch of random item caches around so that, when they needed to use an item for testing (for example, to see if the Ring of Wizardry works correctly with buffs and debuffs and the like), they could put it in one of those caches and easily get it from a fresh save.

They forgot to clear them all out before shipping the game, so people found them containing whatever a developer last put in them during debugging. Some of those items are more useful than others.

Oh man, I had no idea that's what they were there for. I always did think it was odd that random rocks/trees had these items in it that no normal person would ever find.

Since it's been revealed they are "mistakes," did they remove them for the EE?

mtr
May 15, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Well that's a bummer. The question was "Do you watch television programs at home?" I'm assuming that I hit No when I was trying not to drop the drat thing since it closed immediately. Guess I don't get any more TV questions!

I did this same thing on this exact question, except I didn't fumble my phone. I quickly hit the top button thinking it would be "Yes". Turns out it was "no" and that was it for that survey. I half expected Google to call me a liar because I frequently do Google searches on the TV shows I'm watching.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh man, I had no idea that's what they were there for. I always did think it was odd that random rocks/trees had these items in it that no normal person would ever find.

I found a diamond in a tree, but no overpowered object so far.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DrBouvenstein posted:

They're still there in EE. People look on them more as easter eggs than bugs at this point - especially since they're completely ignorable if you'd rather play without them.

Additionally, the license the EE guys got to the games doesn't let them change any of the existing content (just allows them to add new stuff), taking out those caches would still be a dubious proposition legally even if they called it a bugfix.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I found a diamond in a tree, but no overpowered object so far.
IIRC there's a ring of wizardry in the starting area, I think near some cows?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Geektox posted:

Thanks for being transphobic, Google.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
I tried getting google surveys and when I open it it gives me a tutorial and when I click "get started" it just shows a loading dial forever. Any ideas?

Droid Maxx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Poopy Palpy posted:

Thanks for being transphobic, Google.

Last I checked (six months ago, so a Google Era) you got three shots to change your basic identity (name + gender*) and each one comes back two years after you used it - and if you exhaust those, on the rare chance you actually reach a human at Google, you can probably talk them into giving you a one-time switch, but no promises.

*Although like most places it's male/female/(decline to state), which are more clinical/physiological-oriented than identity-oriented. I don't know if anywhere is good at this yet; maybe asking at all is the problem.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread