Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Magni posted:

Well of course, the big gun on the Monitor 105s is meant to be a dedicated artillery piece.
As a fun sidenote: Monitor 105s are literally the best artillery you can get in any ANZAC deck. :v:

Mind that I'm a terrible player but I'd say that because boats are seriously underpriced for what they offer, they're the best artillery for the price, period. Naval units are cheaper in part because they're confined to only part of the map. Monitor 105s get the same discount as well but being limited to the water isn't as big of a limitation given the ranges they shoot.

For starters, Monitor 105s are tough. I wouldn't put one directly in harm's way but good optics, armor, 40 hp, a couple of 20 mm autocannons and their main gun make them perfectly capable of holding their own in a straight up fight against opponents like scouts and special forces. The health and armor also are important for resisting counterbattery fire and airstrikes. I don't believe that ASMs are able to target them (too small) so no matter how you cut it, they're far more resilient than most artillery. On the minus side they're slow and tend to keep spread out which complicates air defense somewhat. Offensively they're lower DPS than land based artillery but they're able to sustain fire much longer without resupply on account of their 200 ammunition. That means they're not tied to an FOB and there's no need to periodically resupply them or pay all that close attention to their remaining ammunition. It takes serious, concerted effort to use up that much ammunition before the time runs out.

All that's just 50 points. Hell, the supplies alone probably work out to most of the purchase price. Its biggest disadvantage compared to other artillery can be solved by throwing more tubes at the problem and at that price, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Xerxes17 posted:

I think reducing the FSJ down to shock at this point would cause the Germans to flip the gently caress out and march on Paris again. It would be an explosion of :qq:

Not pictured: problems with this plan. The only thing better than making people like that cry about nerfs is making them cry about buffs.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 23, 2014

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Not pictured: problems with this plan. The only thing better than making those guys cry about nerfs is making them cry about buffs.

So you're saying Spetz needs higher availability. I agree.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Enjoy posted:

So you're saying Spetz needs higher availability. I agree.

I was feeling a buff to literally every other gun unit in the game, but that works too.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Do any of you marshal types know if machine gun fixes will be coming in the next patch?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just played an actually really fun game of single player where the enemy counterattack column consisting of a Guards Rifles RGT, Guards Tank BTN, an AT COY and AA COY ran into my NK Shock RGT, PRC Tank RGT, and PRC Infantry BTN with a MiG-21 attack squadron in support. We both went into the battle with ~3500 points worth of stuff and came out with 90% casualties. The AI may be dumb but its units were so superior I had to use a reverse slope forward defense following up into a second line river bank defense just to hold out until they ran out of tanks. A counter-attack to clean up their rear area units won me the game.

The single player AI (and force composition) was hard enough that it made me use real actual tactics and I'm pretty pleased with that.

scrub tip: if you alt+f4 out of a losing game the campaign will return you to your last autosave point. Cheap but I would have had to restart the Bear & Dragon campaign a couple times without it. Those guards regiments actually broke through the first time I played that mission and I didn't have a second line of defense to stop them. Although in my defense, I forgot to put a CV in the call-in zone and screwed myself for that mission.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

scrub tip: if you alt+f4 out of a losing game the campaign will return you to your last autosave point. Cheap but I would have had to restart the Bear & Dragon campaign a couple times without it.

It autosaves before and after each battle so you can just esc/load instead of quitting out and restarting the game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

I just played an actually really fun game of single player where the enemy counterattack column consisting of a Guards Rifles RGT, Guards Tank BTN, an AT COY and AA COY ran into my NK Shock RGT, PRC Tank RGT, and PRC Infantry BTN with a MiG-21 attack squadron in support. We both went into the battle with ~3500 points worth of stuff and came out with 90% casualties. The AI may be dumb but its units were so superior I had to use a reverse slope forward defense following up into a second line river bank defense just to hold out until they ran out of tanks. A counter-attack to clean up their rear area units won me the game.

The single player AI (and force composition) was hard enough that it made me use real actual tactics and I'm pretty pleased with that.

scrub tip: if you alt+f4 out of a losing game the campaign will return you to your last autosave point. Cheap but I would have had to restart the Bear & Dragon campaign a couple times without it. Those guards regiments actually broke through the first time I played that mission and I didn't have a second line of defense to stop them. Although in my defense, I forgot to put a CV in the call-in zone and screwed myself for that mission.

Lemme tell ya about the time I entered that fight with the T80A, Mi28's, and Tor and forgot to deploy a CV at an actual call-in :eyepop:

Honestly, the AI can put up a good fight if things are stacked in their favor. Its just a matter of making sure that stacking is done tactfully and not just via OOTF units, in my opinion.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Has Eugen made any mention of fixing the ASM bug? Losing ships to my own ASMs is pretty dumb and really saps the momentum from a good boat kill-streak.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Has Eugen made any mention of fixing the ASM bug? Losing ships to my own ASMs is pretty dumb and really saps the momentum from a good boat kill-streak.

Wait what?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

xthetenth posted:

Wait what?

If your boats shoot an ASM as the target ship is destroyed, the missiles that are still in really close proximity to your own ships explode and damage/kill them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

All missiles with HE carry a fratricide risk if they lose their target right when launched.

They sometiems curve into the ground right in from of the launch platform, resulting in a friendly or self hit for full damage.

quote:

Mostly the single player AI needs to actually unload its infantry rather than losing them in their transports 85% of the time. And the infantry needs to stop abandoning sector mid game.

And AI bombers need to use FIRE POS rather than targeting units because they auto evac if they lose sight for even a second

Similarly AI fighters auto evac if the target evacs which is ????

Finally fuel should be disabled for the AI. (Climbing Mt Narodniya, I'm looking at you)

RE: Udaloy/Sovremenney

It basically depends what you want it to do. The Sovremenney is a better large group ship because it is better at shooting down planes, the Udaloy is far more resistant to ASMs. If you can't decide take the Udaloy, and maybe some Nanushkas for SAM work.

PS I noticed how much more fun it is in SP when you can use large squadrons of the same plane and big force compositions and not have to worry about planes or artillery wrecking attacks and instead the AI actually fights you. If it was even a little smarter i'd be a happy camper.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 23, 2014

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

If your boats shoot an ASM as the target ship is destroyed, the missiles that are still in really close proximity to your own ships explode and damage/kill them.

I had no idea that that would work. I'd seen it happen with manpads before (thanks game, that was two of my six javelin teams, I didn't need those at all), but I thought AShMs relied on AP so wouldn't do huge damage.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

xthetenth posted:

I had no idea that that would work. I'd seen it happen with manpads before (thanks game, that was two of my six javelin teams, I didn't need those at all), but I thought AShMs relied on AP so wouldn't do huge damage.

They have both an AP and an HE value. The ASM bug hits me particularly hard because I use Pegasus ASM boats screened by Cham Su Ri CIWS boats. The small ships are easily damaged or destroyed by the HE from the large ASM volleys the Pegasus flotilla is able to put out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

They have both an AP and an HE value. The ASM bug hits me particularly hard because I use Pegasus ASM boats screened by Cham Su Ri CIWS boats. The small ships are easily damaged or destroyed by the HE from the large ASM volleys the Pegasus flotilla is able to put out.

It's more that I'm surprised that the whole AP damage is applied by the splash. AShMs are so mechanically different from most everything.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Made a Marshalls thread about it. There must be SOME way to bypass their weird-rear end quirks...

TBH, would 0-splash MANPADS really make them any less usseful?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Made a Marshalls thread about it. There must be SOME way to bypass their weird-rear end quirks...

TBH, would 0-splash MANPADS really make them any less usseful?

Would impact effectiveness vs choppee blobs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Of course, but if you're shooting MANPADS at blobs then you really hosed up your deck composition :P

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Make the missiles home in on the wreck for a few seconds to ensure you get enough separation?

Dandywalken posted:

Of course, but if you're shooting MANPADS at blobs then you really hosed up your deck composition :P

Campaign.txt

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I've lost a couple CIWS botes from my own defensive missiles. The enemy ASM passes over your CIWS screen and gets hit by a defensive missile from your Kongo or whatever, severely damaging your own CIWS bote. It's really dumb.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Magni posted:

- PGrens '90 are even more loving amazing, though the avaiability per card is a tad low on the cheaper transports. Still nothing to make a fuss over.

Ayup. In my very first game of RD I slapped three units of those guys into a small town at one of my flanks. At some point my opponent tried a surprise tank rush through there, and it turned that apparently their Panzerfaust 3's can oneshot T-62s from the front. They destroyed eight of those in a few seconds, weathered an artillery bombardment like it ain't no thang and then easily killed a bunch of motostrelski trying to smoke them out. All told they probably made their points back tenfold and could have gone even further if I hadn't suffered a disconnect partway through.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wish there was a China campaign at a later date. I think I've seen more units killing them in the British campaign than I got to play with in the China campaign.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So you know how the W.Germans are all ":qq:MY INFANTRY:qq:"

Now you can tell them to :fuckoff: with certainty:

Intro
It would appear that there are many people who believe that the conventional wisdom is that the FRG has poor infantry options. This is very much not the case and I intent to disprove this notion in a quick, mathematical based approach that will show the true numbers behind the functions of the game. At first I thought this would need to be an expansive written piece, but after making the tables the numbers stand for themselves.

Also, I repeat that all figures used in this analysis were ripped from the latest patch files and I am happy to show how it is done to those who wish to look at them yourself. This is also [size=150]not[/size] a "nerf FRG infantry" thread.

So here are the numbers:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ju591r7f1n428u/FRGInfantryAnalysis.ods

And another very helpful thing when looking at this from TheDeadlyShoe on somethingawful:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/166QMDUrYfbRKj2miUUErjHtGdLFKFu3afVcU_0QL12s/pubhtml

Quick Run Down
-Jagers are bad at CQC, but once the enemy gets to 300m range there is a certain kind of result when you consider TheDeadlyShoe's work on range scaling (Jagers hunting in forests anyone...? ;) )

-Pz.Grenadiers are basically basically CQC terminators.

-FSJ-75 are Terry Crews on even more steroids.

-FSJ-90 are still as the .gif says

-Even Bangers are pretty scary once you get into their city bloc :lol:

Conclusion
Don't worry mein bruders, your infantry is just fine, goddamit!

Edit: :cripes: My loving god, you can't argue with those who are deluded/unable to understand the maths.
http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=44271

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 23, 2014

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Had a fantastic 2v2 on Strait to the Point (large) last night - first time the naval stuff has come together properly for me, I think. We were very well matched with the enemy team in terms of skill (although part of that was me being significantly better than my usual queuemate, who for instance had no anti-ship helicopters or planes among his naval units which partly hosed us over). I think they were both using Swedish or Scandinavian decks, maybe with a 1985 limitation, against a standard Soviet deck for my ally and Soviet marines for me. The naval stuff was actually important, both in terms of impacting ground battles and winning the game in general. We lost in the end, partly because I tried to call in a supply Muna for my ships on the left hand side of the map and instead it came in on the right-hand side, which the enemy team had all but secured - this meant I was unable to resupply my five ships on the left (including an Udaloy) and they lost to a swarm of Oliver Hazard Perries with the last of those drat frigates on 50% health.

Still, can't really complain - it was a very fun game, amphibious landings and straight up ground attacks and naval bombardments and all sorts. I learned the value of anti-ship helicopters too - I had 5 Ka-29s which between them destroyed probably about 8-9 frigates, and while points don't matter too much in Conquest mode I had 10000 kills to 5000 losses, which I was pretty pleased with (my ally had 5800 to 6300). Soviet Marines seems like a pretty viable deck if you have an ally to fill some of the gaps (like helicopter command squads).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Xerxes17 posted:

So you know how the W.Germans are all ":qq:MY INFANTRY:qq:"

Now you can tell them to :fuckoff: with certainty:

Intro
It would appear that there are many people who believe that the conventional wisdom is that the FRG has poor infantry options. This is very much not the case and I intent to disprove this notion in a quick, mathematical based approach that will show the true numbers behind the functions of the game. At first I thought this would need to be an expansive written piece, but after making the tables the numbers stand for themselves.

Also, I repeat that all figures used in this analysis were ripped from the latest patch files and I am happy to show how it is done to those who wish to look at them yourself. This is also [size=150]not[/size] a "nerf FRG infantry" thread.

So here are the numbers:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ju591r7f1n428u/FRGInfantryAnalysis.ods

And another very helpful thing when looking at this from TheDeadlyShoe on somethingawful:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/166QMDUrYfbRKj2miUUErjHtGdLFKFu3afVcU_0QL12s/pubhtml

Quick Run Down
-Jagers are bad at CQC, but once the enemy gets to 300m range there is a certain kind of result when you consider TheDeadlyShoe's work on range scaling (Jagers hunting in forests anyone...? ;) )

-Pz.Grenadiers are basically basically CQC terminators.

-FSJ-75 are Terry Crews on even more steroids.

-FSJ-90 are still as the .gif says

-Even Bangers are pretty scary once you get into their city bloc :lol:

Conclusion
Don't worry mein bruders, your infantry is just fine, goddamit!

Edit: :cripes: My loving god, you can't argue with those who are deluded/unable to understand the maths.
http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=44271

Thank you so much for posting that thread. I am having so much fun refreshing it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think I'm about done with that thread. I really hope all these loving Cold War my-country-isn't-good-enough spergs stick with Wargame and don't pollute the process for Eugens next game.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

I think I'm about done with that thread. I really hope all these loving Cold War my-country-isn't-good-enough spergs stick with Wargame and don't pollute the process for Eugens next game.

I dearly wish that all forums had Something awful style moderation.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Xerxes17 posted:

I dearly wish that all forums had Something awful style moderation.

I don't know, passive aggressively deleting everyone's posts and replacing them with :( makes for an interesting read.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Phrosphor posted:

I don't know, passive aggressively deleting everyone's posts and replacing them with :( makes for an interesting read.

or :hitler: as appropriate

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
:qq: I CAN'T TAKE ONE OF MY HALF DOZEN EXCEPTIONAL SQUADS ON WHEELS :qq:

That thread is just loving depressing and the mods deleting half the posts isn't making it better.

German infantry is literally the best in the game jesus motherfucking christ. In fact not only is their infantry the best in the game so is pretty much everything else they have too when combined with France.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Mortabis posted:

:qq: I CAN'T TAKE ONE OF MY HALF DOZEN EXCEPTIONAL SQUADS ON WHEELS :qq:

That thread is just loving depressing and the mods deleting half the posts isn't making it better.

Meanwhile, :911:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
An interesting detail (I might be reading this wrong) is that Spetznaz do more damage in CQC where they can't use their HE napalm launcher than at range because SMGs get such a gigantic damage boost from CQC.
This is the kind of ridiculous stuff that shows how bad the Armory pages are for infantry. It's basically impossible to tell what infantry really does from looking at the armory. Other units have problems too, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is for infantry.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Maybe that's why they decided to stop Wargame for a bit and go back to Act of War. Good luck milsperging out about a futuristic C&C like RTS with stealth tanks and power armour.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I wish moving from city block to city block can be more reliable. It's better than ALB now, but I still get troops refusing to get into building when they reach the boarder of the block and decided to run around in circle while getting shot at. I think it might have something to do with platoon formation. Is there some kind of trick that I am not aware of? Lone squad seems much better at not doing this (and I can always hit stop to make it move into building once it's close enough in that case, with platoon that's too spread out sometimes they teleport back to the building they just came out of.)

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

xthetenth posted:

Make the missiles home in on the wreck for a few seconds to ensure you get enough separation?

This would probably work. As it is now, if the missiles have been in flight for a bit before losing their target, they'll just go haywire and detonate harmlessly over the water.

That, or I feel like it wouldn't be too difficult to program a minimum arming range for missiles. If the missile has been in flight for <3 seconds it disappears instead of detonating on target loss.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Reading the posts by the loving idiots over on that forum has made me not want to play West Germany at all. I love how you can tell the guys that literally only play one nation, DER VADER LANDE.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Prawned posted:

Reading the posts by the loving idiots over on that forum has made me not want to play West Germany at all. I love how you can tell the guys that literally only play one nation, DER VADER LANDE.

I think the German fanboys have replaced the British fanboys as the most annoying nationalists on the eugen forums.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah seriously, these are people that genuinely think that Fallschirmjäger 90 were fine before the nerf. And that nerfing them was a personal insult to the german community.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Huh. And here I thought Wheraboos only stuck to WW2 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah seriously, these are people that genuinely think that Fallschirmjäger 90 were fine before the nerf. And that nerfing them was a personal insult to the german community.

:wtc:

That's like saying the reason Scandinavia and NSWP didn't get new units at game launch is because Eugen hates Swedes/Norwegians/Danes/Poles/Czechs personally.

(I still want new Swedish and Polish units :v:)

• Locked thread