Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Mordiceius posted:

Am I the only one who thought the trailer looked boring and this game still looks like poo poo?

What do you mean by looks like? The plot seems like some of the worst generic BioWare dribble but with the leap in visual fidelity from both DA:O and 2, plus being able to get to know new companions (even though many will be shitheads) and being able to play keep management has me... not not excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
From the Gamespot article:

"This is another element that isn’t a direct part of the trailer, but after you finish the story it describes, you aren’t necessarily done. High-level zones, advanced crafting, and more difficult enemies await Inquisitors who are eager to find a challenge beyond the main story. “We don’t expect players to explore all the world by the time they finish the campaign,” Lee says. “The world’s too big for that.”

Post-game content is pretty cool.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If they do that thing everyone keeps asking for where the game recognizes you've won and the impacts of your accomplishments are visible in the post-game, yeah, that could be pretty cool. If I merge mages and non-mages into a single form of life, then people post-game should be wrestling with what that means.

I kind of liked how the Stick of Truth doesn't end after you beat the game; your kid gets to keep wandering the neighborhood collecting stuff and wrapping up missed content, but with it being a cartoon world things are really just back to the status quo, so it doesn't really have much to it.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Geostomp posted:

Wait, hold up. There are mounts? As in the horses and such that were apparently extinct in the first games are here? Screw the destined-for-early-game-junk-pile weapons and the fancy chair, I'm all about the halla/unicorn! We will have magical adventures while we slaughter our enemies.

gently caress yes! I would also pay an extra couple of bucks to have a mabari hound as Varric's mount.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I've been ignoring this because of DA2, but its not looking terrible actually. Visually, it at least, it looks really drat good. They're bringing back a world map, and a preview actually showed a level that wasn't just a flat plain to wade through garbage mobs. I'm, interested. Its pretty much all on how combat works. So far the cool down problems seem to be fixed from the limited amount I've been able to see. Traps have gotten a much needed overhaul. I don't want to say I'm excited, but I'm no longer hostile to the game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leelee posted:

From the Gamespot article:

"This is another element that isn’t a direct part of the trailer, but after you finish the story it describes, you aren’t necessarily done. High-level zones, advanced crafting, and more difficult enemies await Inquisitors who are eager to find a challenge beyond the main story. “We don’t expect players to explore all the world by the time they finish the campaign,” Lee says. “The world’s too big for that.”

Post-game content is pretty cool.

That's actually a drat good idea, as long as it isn't just generic dragons 1-4 and generic looking high level crafting. If they bring back the whole "find fragments of legendary weapons, a smith reforges them" from Baldur's Gate I will insanely happy.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mordiceius posted:

Am I the only one who thought the trailer looked boring and this game still looks like poo poo?

I didn't think it looked like poo poo, however it was boring, I hated the stupid Varric one-liner fan service, I'm not reassured one bit by the gameplay that looked too hack'n slash-y, and it gave me an overall impression of childishness. At least it's not New poo poo levels of stupidness, but I hope the game is more mature than the trailer make it out to be.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

pentyne posted:

That's actually a drat good idea, as long as it isn't just generic dragons 1-4 and generic looking high level crafting. If they bring back the whole "find fragments of legendary weapons, a smith reforges them" from Baldur's Gate I will insanely happy.

It's to allow for more DLC down the line that don't require to rewind before you end the game (ala ME3). I always found that annoying so it's good they're fixing that.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Dragon Age Origins the trailers looked like poo poo and were aimed at the wrong crowd. Leads to a game I love.

DAII trailers look like poo poo. Led to a game that while I believe is better than goons give it credit for it is at best mediocre with tons of horrible flaws.

DAIII trailers don't look like anything really. I can't even figure out anything about the actual combat or gameplay. God only knows which direction this game will take.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
My only problem is that the Inquistors armor is bananas-ugly. It looks like some mess that you hate to wear but have to because it has good stats.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Chexoid posted:

My only problem is that the Inquistors armor is bananas-ugly. It looks like some mess that you hate to wear but have to because it has good stats.

I think they want that dorky-looking helmet to be the Inquisitor's iconic look, but it doesn't really match anything else they're wearing, especially on the picture they have of the rogue.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
October 7th is the official release date.

Is there anything big also dropping around that time that'll crush DA3?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Eddain posted:

October 7th is the official release date.

Is there anything big also dropping around that time that'll crush DA3?

Not really. I imagine Pillars of Eternity will be out about then, but realistically, fans of party-based RPGs are so starved, they'll buy both, so there's not much real competition there even though they're both going for the same niche. Alien: Isolation and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor are the same date too, but they don't have EA's marketing muscle behind them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Shadow of Mordor actually looks potentially badass. I am interested in what it might bring to the table. It'll probably end up being more simplistic in play than on paper, but it should be worth giving a go. It looks pretty stealthy, too at times. :black101:

What I've seen/heard of Alien looks like nothing in particular.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

Bogwitt posted:

I can't decide if I'm dreading or looking forward to zombie Anders.

Hahaha. Killing him again might be fun but it better be the last time.

But seriously, according to the Stygian pit that is the Bioware forums,The person(s) responsible for the holes in the Fade is trying to reach the Black City to become a god. I don't know why, since it didn't work out that well the last time...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MantisToboggan posted:

But seriously, according to the Stygian pit that is the Bioware forums,The person(s) responsible for the holes in the Fade is trying to reach the Black City to become a god. I don't know why, since it didn't work out that well the last time...

Because he totally gets it now, man. They just, like, didn't understand that last time.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

MantisToboggan posted:

Hahaha. Killing him again might be fun but it better be the last time.

Calling it now the final boss is the antagonist responsible for the mess turned into a Darkspawn abomination

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
It doesn't matter what game is coming out at the same time as DA3. DA3 is going to sell incredibly well regardless.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm thinking I'll buy it, but I'm not preordering it.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Calling it now the final boss is the antagonist responsible for the mess turned into a Darkspawn abomination

I imagine that with the more... JRPG elements Bioware has recently been adding to their games, players will just end up fighting a Literal God, a la the FF series.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DentedLamp posted:

I imagine that with the more... JRPG elements Bioware has recently been adding to their games, players will just end up fighting a Literal God, a la the FF series.

I will preorder Mass Effect 4 if DA3 gives us a train fight.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

CottonWolf posted:

Not really. I imagine Pillars of Eternity will be out about then, but realistically, fans of party-based RPGs are so starved, they'll buy both, so there's not much real competition there even though they're both going for the same niche.

Pretty sure PoE won't be released yet on October. Their gameplay trailer mentioned "Winter 2014" which technically starts on Dec 21st.

Wasteland 2 probably will be out though so your point stands.

E: Well I checked the teaser again and it just says "2014" so I stand corrected. Where did I get "Winter 2014" from?

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

DentedLamp posted:

I'm fine with that. In the DA series we go from fighting a crazy dragon-god to fighting... a middle-aged woman. Anything else is a step up, honestly.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

DentedLamp posted:

It'd be impossibly dope if the final boss of Inquisition was the Maker, after it's revealed that the darkspawn actually are just a divine curse in reaction to ancient man's hubris.

Instead it'll probably be that thing SgtSteel said.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Walrus Pete posted:

It'd be impossibly dope if the final boss of Inquisition was the Maker, after it's revealed that the darkspawn actually are just a divine curse in reaction to ancient man's hubris.

Instead it'll probably be that thing SgtSteel said.

:catholic:: The darkspawn are a curse for man's Hubris!
:black101:: I'm lifting the curse now.
:dawkins101:

That'd be pretty grand.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

DentedLamp posted:

Bioware beat you by nine years there, bucko. In Jade Empire, you literally fight two incarnations of a god. :eng101:

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

My understanding of DA lore is extremely muddled, but wasn't it revealed that when the Magisters got to the Golden City it was already corrupted? I think that was revealed in Awakenings. It wouldn't surprise me if the Maker was already dead, and you end up fighting the antagonist from Inquisition in the Black City and ascend into godhood. Or you get to choose someone from the DA cast to become the new God.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Pretty sure that was a Dragon Age 2 DLC that revealed that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Big Bidness posted:

My understanding of DA lore is extremely muddled, but wasn't it revealed that when the Magisters got to the Golden City it was already corrupted? I think that was revealed in Awakenings. It wouldn't surprise me if the Maker was already dead, and you end up fighting the antagonist from Inquisition in the Black City and ascend into godhood. Or you get to choose someone from the DA cast to become the new God.

The red choice is Morrigan's son, the blue choice is Varric, the Green choice is you!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah, Corphyus from Legacy reveals that when they arrived at the city how Dumat taught them, it was already black, with no hint of gold, and already fully of dark spawn that touched and tainted them into one of their own.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Drifter posted:

The red choice is Morrigan's son, the blue choice is Varric, the Green choice is you Dog!
:colbert:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

WeaponBoy posted:

Even if you were going whole hog right away why wouldn't you at least wait for a GMG coupon or something? I'm a big dumb idiot who preorders stuff but I can be fairly sure to get a 20-25% discount from GMG a week or two before the game actually releases.

Eh, I save up my money and never pre-order anything. I have no regrets. Besides, I like supporting Bioware.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, Corphyus from Legacy reveals that when they arrived at the city how Dumat taught them, it was already black, with no hint of gold, and already fully of dark spawn that touched and tainted them into one of their own.

I hope that we never find out what actually happened in there. This is better to leave as a mystery like the Dwemer in TES, than to explain everything with a $19.99 DLC.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Disco Infiva posted:

I hope that we never find out what actually happened in there. This is better to leave as a mystery like the Dwemer in TES, than to explain everything with a $19.99 DLC.

In fairness to them, they did leave it vague enough that it could be interpreted either way.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

CottonWolf posted:

In fairness to them, they did leave it vague enough that it could be interpreted either way.

Yeah, I know. This was :argh: for FutureBioware, not :argh: for PastBioware.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

If given the choice, I'd make a dog-god, hell yeah dude! :hfive:

KoB
May 1, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Not really. I imagine Pillars of Eternity will be out about then, but realistically, fans of party-based RPGs are so starved, they'll buy both, so there's not much real competition there even though they're both going for the same niche. Alien: Isolation and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor are the same date too, but they don't have EA's marketing muscle behind them.

Youre insane if you think PoE on PC will compete at all with Dragon Age 3 by Bioware coming to 360, BONE, PS3, PS4 and PC (outside of mega nerds like us who post on vidya websites).

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Eastbound Spider posted:

If given the choice, I'd make a dog-god, hell yeah dude! :hfive:

I love bringing the dog to the Landsmeet and requesting it be my champion in dueling Loghain.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Leelee posted:

I love bringing the dog to the Landsmeet and requesting it be my champion in dueling Loghain.

You can do that? I have to replay DAO now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leelee posted:

What happens. Do they let it?

• Locked thread