Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arrrrg, I can't stand this! The Nightlord Omnibus is scheduled for an early May or June release right? I need this goddamn book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I can't find a copy of The Lost omnibus anymore. Shame, because Sabbat Martyr ends in a couple of downers.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Mikojan posted:

Totally offtopic here but a long time ago someone made a brilliant description of Chaos in the warhammer universe.

Did anyone save this post so I can put it in my warhammer.txt?

I know it was user cosmicmuffet or something in the last 40k megathread. I've been looking for the quote myself but haven't had much luck. If you have archives you should be able to search for it.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 23, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Schneider Heim posted:

I can't find a copy of The Lost omnibus anymore. Shame, because Sabbat Martyr ends in a couple of downers.

I would really like to know what BL is doing with those omnibuses. Most of the GG books have been out of print for over a year and a half now. Everyone keeps saying they are going to re-release them as new omnibuses.

Could they actually be waiting for the new IG stuff to come out, so they can do a find and replace on Imperial Guard with Astra Milita-something?

handbanana125 posted:

I know it was user cosmicmuffet or something in the last 40k megathread. I've bee. Looking for the quote myself but haven't had much luck. If you have archives you should be able to search for it.

You mean this?:

quote:

PierreTheMime posted:

There's no reason they would be them around if Dreadnoughts were that unreliable. Chaos may occasionally be mad/mad with power, but they're typically not stupid. Bringing a machine with you that 1/3 of the time kills you is stupid.

What the gently caress is this wuss talk? Somebody get sucked into an eldar webway portal and come out smelling like flowers and potpourri, eh? Did someone gently cleans the demon cysts from your colon with the delicate application of a harlequin's kiss? Convince you that Avatar was a documentary about an eldar croneworld covered in friendly dinosaurs and awash in the joy of life?

It's the Eye of Terror, my erstwhile friend and ablative wound. If anything gets out at all, it doesn't have a 'plan'. We gave that poo poo up when we cut loose the golden throne and a billion worlds clamoring for SPF 50 in a universe with a seething red giant of burn-your-flesh-to-cinders radiation at its center that thinks exterminatus is a refreshing breeze and a great way to cool off on a hot day of destroying all life, everywhere, forever. What am I talking about? I'm talking about the environment, you know, like those pansy rear end space elves wearing polkadots and clashing colors while they totally don't worship slaanesh, probably. Maybe they sing songs during a pirouette where they talk about how stupid and shortsighted humans are before they get back on their planet-sized cuttlefish bone to squawk about how sad it is that their only friends in the universe are busy listening to fallout boy on comorragh all day -- and are way too cool to hang out anymore. Or that their best bet to intimidate anyone, anymore is made of boiling blood and red hot iron, and only wakes up when you strip the hunkiest boy in school down to his loin cloth and send him into the mysterious chamber in the innards of the cuttlefish with a cardboard sign around his neck that says 'will blood sacrifice to field toughness 6 model - God Bless'.

You probably plant your objective-holding units on dew kissed fields of irises and bluebells hoping that Hivefleet Hugs and Kisses will rescue you from a harsh work-a-day apocalyptic end to the hopes and dreams of all life, everywhere, forever. Maybe this ork waaaugh will be friendly.

Chaos isn't called 'plans to take along effective troops-os' for a reason. There are planets where Fabius Bile, Ahriman, Kharn the Betrayer, and Typhus sat down with a case of beer to plan out a system where clones are endlessly churned out on top of a tower on some forsaken patch of ground that's at least 20x20. They walk 10 feet, get coughed on by a nurgling, felt up by demonette, navigate a short, but extremely confusing maze, then are released down a chute into a vat of acidic ecstasy that is the pustulent byproduct of effluvia from slaughtering millions of slaves (who are also clones, and in some cases possibly clones of clones), where they ejaculate their central nervous system and dissolve. They would completely dissolve, except that demon fish the size of freight trains, who move as fast, having either no eyes, or thousands of them, scoop up the now-completely-chemical-polished skulls, swallow and sneeze them out blow-holes that spew lightning into a tortured sky (which, by the way, hemmorhages from non-stop raging storms like a pregnant woman getting gut-punched by demons) where they get pitched through convenient warp gates and pile up by the skull throne to the giddy applause of bloodletters. Each one of these towers generates 53 trillion kilowatts of mindfuck every minute for strange eons, and they can fit a nearly limitless number of these towers on any given planet where laws of physics and considerations like space and time are completely trivial; endlessly generating natural chaos with almost no carbon footprint, and you think anybody gives a gently caress about losing half a dozen worshippers when your used dreadnought pops off a couple rounds in the wrong direction? No.

It's a numbers game, and in this case, the number of times a dreadnought does something entertaining that nets some pain and suffering and makes the otherwise relentlessly boring and depressing quote 'real world' unquote feel a little less chickenshit and a little more like the comforts of home when you're on your 20th year of a black crusade, the better. They let those guys loose in the ship, because it gives the slaves a warm feeling like being at a frat house and hearing some loving hooligan absolutely off his tit stagger down the hallway and break something made of glass, somehow, even though your house long ago got rid of any glass in an attempt to make it party-safe. He's wandering down the hall letting off a few good-natured krak missiles into vital systems, howling about how heretics must be purged--which everybody finds loving hilarious, by the way--and occasionally fixating on a bloodthirster, claiming it's Sanguinus, and getting in a wrestling match, which, win or lose, doesn't dampen his enthusiasm any.

You get like 3 or 4 of those guys onto the field, get them started in the right direction off the Murder Class cruiser (usually by shoving them out the airlock), and ride behind them in the hand-me-down rhino until they turn around, confuse it with a loyalist that stole their air-car in a former existence 10 thousand years ago, and pop it. You just saved the effort of having to press the hatch release and loving with it endlessly until the tortured hydraulics twisted by the maltreatment of an insane machine spirit and about 4 million combat drops too-many finally deign to work as designed. Which, if you're lucky, will finally let the door down long enough for you to kick the 10 assholes who decided that they'd take a break from having a good time in the Warp, where you want for no recreation or convenience of the maddened mind, and everything is within charge range, to ride in some suspension-less shoebox, out the rear and try to find some people for a game of ultimate frisbee, or human sacrifice, or whatever warmaster has on the schedule. It's the ultimate bad vacation, where you get away to relax and then end up spending all your time 'group activity'-ing yourselves into exhaustion--when you could have just stayed home, stalked the undulating fleshy plains of a Keeper of Secrets phallus-world that has a decent Mariott on it, with air conditioning and cable, and had the time of your life hunting cultists who were in on it enough to want to make it fun--hoping they might curry favor that way.

Instead you're out here in some deathworld shithole like Catachan, or a loving agriworld where the most deadly adversay you're going to encounter is fields of unrelenting wheat so endless they turn you sane just to make you go mad again from boredom--and it's in these pockets of so called humanity, or tauianity that your good buddy 'Mourna, Burns The Innocent' takes time out of *his* rich inner life to turn his multimelta on the last working thunderhawk, and suddenly poo poo got interesting; you're having fun, it's a crusade.

Everybody pile in the reaper titan. We're going to get icecream (yes you can have sprinkles).

I mean seriously. The real question is why these boring loving bolters have to shoot in the same direction every single time. It's enough to make a guy lose his poo poo.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 22, 2014

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Maybe they plan on bombarding us with five or six omnibuses all at once.

Half serious, half joking. It's GW - they don't exactly have a competent business department.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I hope the pricing stays the same. The reason I got into BL in the first place was that the omnibus editions were cheap enough. Much as I'd like to switch to digital, the ebooks are expensive thanks to GBP exchange rates.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm dying for quality new content honestly. :/

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I'm dying for quality newcontent honestly. :/

That's a pretty big juxtaposition for current BL, isn't it?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Waroduce posted:

I'm dying for quality new content honestly. :/

Don't worry the next HH book is by McNeill called the Vengeful Spirit. From reading the preview in the imperial truth, i do not have high hopes.

The punchline in the preview is the main character is not only banging his brothers wife, but she is also his sister. :can:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

UberJumper posted:

Don't worry the next HH book is by McNeill called the Vengeful Spirit. From reading the preview in the imperial truth, i do not have high hopes.

The punchline in the preview is the main character is not only banging his brothers wife, but she is also his sister. :can:

Sounds like McNeill got around to reading A Song Of Ice and Fire, then.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Seventh Retribution any good? It's Ben Counter but someone gave it a favorable review? (Keep in mind that the same guy did not like Helsreach)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No, not really. I found it extremely mediocre.

Edit: Damnit! Getting books confused.

I was thinking of Malodrax, which the above applies too.

Seventh Retribution is alright, gets a tad implausible (even by 40k standards) towards the end, but basically a decent read.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 22, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Seventh Retribution any good? It's Ben Counter but someone gave it a favorable review? (Keep in mind that the same guy did not like Helsreach)

I thought it was really bad.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

UberJumper posted:

The passage I was looking for

Thanks for that!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In everything I've read dreadnoughts are somehow always the best character. Either they're bellowing warcries and smushing everything in sight or they're annoyed by how everyone reveres them and they just want to:

a. Go back to sleep
b. Kill everything

I think it was the Dark Apostle series where the dreadnought had a sort of Alzheimer's and each time he went into battle he thought it was the assault on the Emperor's Palace. He'd be tearing poo poo up and yelling about he was coming for the Emperor, like someone's deranged grandpa stripping off his pants and running down the street.

Edit: Grandpa's yelling about Obama again! Keep him away from the multi-melta!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 22, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I always liked the one in the Gaunt's books who was so feral the Chaos guys wouldn't let him on board the ship anymore....they just towed him behind them in a force bubble.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dick Trauma posted:

In everything I've read dreadnoughts are somehow always the best character.

My dream is that someday ADB writes a buddy cop comedy starring Malcharion and Bjorn.

I don't care how far they have to twist the lore for it to happen or how non-canon it has to be, I need it to happen

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't really want to see the First Claw people play an important role in ADB's HH books, but I'd really love to see Malcharion fight that Blood Angels champion for the first time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Which Primarch was it that split a Dread open like a tincan before ripping out its insides and telling the gooey left overs that it should have stayed dead? :black101: Angron? Leman Russ?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Which Primarch was it that split a Dread open like a tincan before ripping out its insides and telling the gooey left overs that it should have stayed dead? :black101: Angron? Leman Russ?

I think Corax does something like that in the fluff of the most recent FW HH book, but I don't remember the quip specifically.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Angron tears the sarcophagus out of a contemptor dread, bare-handed. He barely acknowledges it, though.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

I thought that was Malcharion after his battle with the Blood Angels dreadnought.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Shroud posted:

I thought that was Malcharion after his battle with the Blood Angels dreadnought.

In that case it's Talos and company who carve open the sarcophagus and taunt its inhabitant. Malcharion is out of commission at that point despite having won.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

In everything I've read dreadnoughts are somehow always the best character. Either they're bellowing warcries and smushing everything in sight or they're annoyed by how everyone reveres them and they just want to:

a. Go back to sleep
b. Kill everything

I think it was the Dark Apostle series where the dreadnought had a sort of Alzheimer's and each time he went into battle he thought it was the assault on the Emperor's Palace. He'd be tearing poo poo up and yelling about he was coming for the Emperor, like someone's deranged grandpa stripping off his pants and running down the street.

Edit: Grandpa's yelling about Obama again! Keep him away from the multi-melta!

Wasn't this the Blood Angel omnibus? I swear this was a Death Company dreadnought. That or something really similar happened with a Death Company character; I distinctly remember someone reliving the Emperor's Palace battle as the Emperor and seeing every Chaos cultist as Horus in that book.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

AndyElusive posted:

I think there's something like that in Battle of the Fang. I definitely remember Magnus tearing open a Dread, just not if he shouts something at him.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

handbanana125 posted:

I know it was user cosmicmuffet or something in the last 40k megathread. I've bee. Looking for the quote myself but haven't had much luck. If you have archives you should be able to search for it.

Was it the quote about how chaos lets you field a guy who can blow up a tank with rock n roll?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

People enjoyed the characterization of Perturabo.

What the hell kind of a name is perturabo anyway?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Joe Videogames posted:

It's a bastardization of "Perdurabo," the Latin singular meaning "I will endure."

So, it's kind of an appropriate name, in answer to your question.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's a bastardization of "Perdurabo," the Latin singular meaning "I will endure."

So, it's kind of an appropriate name, in answer to your question.

Wouldn't that have made more sense on Dorn, though?

As I recall, it is said that Dorn can defend any fortress and Perturabo can tear any fortress down. The immovable object and the unstoppable force, if you will.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
But Perturabo was also an artisan of the highest quality, so you could say that he would endure through his works, not just necessarily through his siegecraft. But I would say that the Battle of the Iron Cage showed that Perturabo was just as good at fortifications as Dorn.

But yeah, Perturabo and Dorn are two sides of the same coin. A few of the other primarchs also have a "twin" who resembles them.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

FrozenDorf posted:

As I recall, it is said that Dorn can defend any fortress and Perturabo can tear any fortress down. The immovable object and the unstoppable force, if you will.

Dorn had a more flexible nature to his way of going about warfare though. He has more of a Teutonic Stoic character whereas Perturabo has more of a Soviet "grind them into submission" kind of deal going on. Dorn (seems to) prefer decisive, but well planned actions to the long, slow slog.

From what's been established in the background Perturabo has this whole thing where he avoids/shuns attention and glorification. This is reflected in the brutal, ugly, and sterile ways in which his legion fights. I mean the dude doesn't even trust his own men to be his bodyguard. Dorn is a much more charismatic and hands-on primarch and fosters tight intralegion loyalty.

The "I endure" thing is more of a nod to his implacable drive to succeed/focus than it is to withstand actual attacks.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

handbanana125 posted:

Dorn had a more flexible nature to his way of going about warfare though. He has more of a Teutonic Stoic character whereas Perturabo has more of a Soviet "grind them into submission" kind of deal going on. Dorn (seems to) prefer decisive, but well planned actions to the long, slow slog.

From what's been established in the background Perturabo has this whole thing where he avoids/shuns attention and glorification. This is reflected in the brutal, ugly, and sterile ways in which his legion fights. I mean the dude doesn't even trust his own men to be his bodyguard. Dorn is a much more charismatic and hands-on primarch and fosters tight intralegion loyalty.

The "I endure" thing is more of a nod to his implacable drive to succeed/focus than it is to withstand actual attacks.

I always thought Dorn and Roboute seemed awfully similar. They both appeared to be about building stuff to last and having organized armies. How would people characterize their differences?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

FrozenDorf posted:

I thought it was more Perturabo was amazing at making battlefield fortifications, as in they are ugly but they are extremely effective. While Dorn was more or less good at making fortifactions that naturally intertwined with existing structures. You look at Perturabo's fortresses and you know its a fortress, but to the untrained eye Dorn's work looks just like a city.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Joe Videogames posted:

I always just thought that he was often perturbed by things.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So far in Thousand Sons...the funniest thing I've ever seen or read in wh40k is Magnus on the way to Nikaea.

"Hey guys, my dad wants to meet us all on this planet. I bet he's got something really cool in store for us! He's probably really proud of all that magic we've been showing off lately and wants to reward us for being such good explorers of the Great Ocean. He's gonna invite a bunch of other legions too, probably so we can teach them how to be psychics! Things are looking up for the Thousand Sons!"

FrozenDorf posted:

To add to what others have said, during the Great Crusade the Iron Warriors were responsible for manning garrisons and staying behind to do the dirty work of cleanup and reinforcing compliance after the big battles had been won, so there's that, too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sharkie posted:

So far in Thousand Sons...the funniest thing I've ever seen or read in wh40k is Magnus on the way to Nikaea.

"Hey guys, my dad wants to meet us all on this planet. I bet he's got something really cool in store for us! He's probably really proud of all that magic we've been showing off lately and wants to reward us for being such good explorers of the Great Ocean. He's gonna invite a bunch of other legions too, probably so we can teach them how to be psychics! Things are looking up for the Thousand Sons!"
Magnus:psykers::libertarian:Bitcoin

"The Warp is going up uP UP!"

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Kaizer88 posted:

I always thought Dorn and Roboute seemed awfully similar. They both appeared to be about building stuff to last and having organized armies. How would people characterize their differences?

Roboute seems riddled with self-doubt, something I haven't sen from too much of Dorn's fluff. That seems to be a difference?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wish they would expand a bit on Ferrus Manus's character. Outside of having a short temper, liking machines and not understanding abstract art he's pretty flat.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

UberJumper posted:

I thought it was more Perturabo was amazing at making battlefield fortifications, as in they are ugly but they are extremely effective. While Dorn was more or less good at making fortifactions that naturally intertwined with existing structures. You look at Perturabo's fortresses and you know its a fortress, but to the untrained eye Dorn's work looks just like a city.

In other words, Dorn has people skills and charisma whereas Perturabo ends up carrying printers for most of the Crusade.

I've always thought of Dorn as being fundamentally about loyalty and ultimately love. He'll do anything for the emperor, and his whole thing is his willingness to commit totally and make any sacrifice, even though he's actually quite sentimental and sensitive. I thought the novella The Crimson Fist by John French was actually unusually good in characterization in thsi respect, especially the exchanges between Sigismund and Dorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wish they would expand a bit on Ferrus Manus's character. Outside of having a short temper, liking machines and not understanding abstract art he's pretty flat.

I think the thing about his chapter basically having body dysmorphia is pretty interesting. Also they do a decent chunk about him in the FW Heresy books.