Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

Keep us up to date on what you're watching, Hammer chat makes the world better.

Mostly I've just been rewatching the Fisher Frankenstein movies but I wanna see some of the oddities I've missed, like the two non-Fisher Frankensteins, Plague of the Zombies, Rasputin the Mad Monk, Countess Dracula, etc.

Cushing's Baron Frankenstein is, like, one of my favorite film performances ever.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mostly I've just been rewatching the Fisher Frankenstein movies but I wanna see some of the oddities I've missed, like the two non-Fisher Frankensteins, Plague of the Zombies, Rasputin the Mad Monk, Countess Dracula, etc.

Cushing's Baron Frankenstein is, like, one of my favorite film performances ever.

So good, as his Van Helsing for totally different reasons. The Lee-Cushing duo is wonderful, they compliment each other as perfect as 2 actors ever have imo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Cushing's Von Frankenstein is absolutely brilliant. You absolutely have to watch the films in order if you can manage it, as his character arc is perfectly played as a gradual slide from an obsessed genius to crazed lunatic--not just from film to film, but within the films themselves the change slowly happens, and you watch his moral compass and sanity both slowly slide into the red.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Cushing's Von Frankenstein is absolutely brilliant. You absolutely have to watch the films in order if you can manage it, as his character arc is perfectly played as a gradual slide from an obsessed genius to crazed lunatic--not just from film to film, but within the films themselves the change slowly happens, and you watch his moral compass and sanity both slowly slide into the red.

It's funny, because even in the very first movie (still my favorite) he's a straight-up evil dickhead, but Cushing's just so engaging and likable that he plays as an antihero even if he's all anti and no hero. The scene where he's talking with the older scientist whose brain he plans on snatching is brilliant acting.

Speaking of brilliant acting, the kid who plays Young Frankenstein in the opening scene does an unreal Cushing impression.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Have you watched the AVGN Monster Madness stuff? Last year, he did a big breakdown on all of the Frankenstein/Mummy/Werewolf flicks, including Hammer, and I think it's the most fun I've ever had watching his stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Speaking of brilliant acting, the kid who plays Young Frankenstein in the opening scene does an unreal Cushing impression.

He does!

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I don't understand why Hammer stuff is so hard to get on DVD. I just bought a four-pack of Hammer Draculas, but it's not the first four, or even the best four: it's Horror, Risen from the Grave, Taste the Blood, and 1972. I mean, I guess I get why they didn't include Brides, even though it sucks they didn't include Brides, if the idea was to have four movies with Lee as Drac, but why not Prince of Darkness?

I found another collection that has Prince of Darkness on it with 7 Golden Vampires and Frankenstein Created Woman. Sure, okay.

But if I want Brides of Dracula (I do), I can get a set that has all these: Brides of Dracula / Curse of the Werewolf / Phantom of the Opera (1962) / Paranoiac / Kiss of the Vampire / Nightmare / Night Creatures / Evil of Frankenstein

I mean, sure, a lot of those are good, but for real, why is there not just a box of Drac movies, a box of Frank movies, a box of Mummy movies, and then, like, miscellaneous?

I know there are more complete collections on Blu-Ray, but I ain't got time for that Rockefeller poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Have you watched the AVGN Monster Madness stuff? Last year, he did a big breakdown on all of the Frankenstein/Mummy/Werewolf flicks, including Hammer, and I think it's the most fun I've ever had watching his stuff.

I dunno, maybe I'll give that a shot but I find his stuff on movies to be pretty lame.

Brides of Dracula is loving awesome. Cushing's Van Helsing reaches peak badass at that climax.

Also, while I agree that the Hammer DVD situation is kinda hosed, if you want a good collection of randoms, this one is pretty awesome. Really, it's worth it for The Gorgon alone, but also Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll is really neat and mean and features one of my favorite Christopher Lee performances, Scream of Fear is an awesome Hitchcockian thriller, and Curse of the Mummy's Tomb is... well, really loving bad, but in a kind of entertaining way.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 23, 2014

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Benito Cereno posted:

I don't understand why Hammer stuff is so hard to get on DVD.

I think it's due to multiple studios owning rights to Hammer films, at least in the U.S., I might be wrong about this though and maybe they just don't think a lot of them would sell.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
Yes, in the US you just can't get these movies in a collection easily because so many companies have the rights. They're so worth finding, though. My girlfriend is a big Hammer fan from way back and turned me on to the series, and Cushing's Frankenstein is a right fascinating bastard.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
If you want a bit of cabin in the woods horror fare, a buddy of mine directed a Canadian indie horror called 'Death Do Us Part' which has just been released on DVD/iTunes. Same director as the Little Mermaid horror short I posted about earlier in the thread. You'll probably recognize Chief Tyrol from Battlestar Galactica as a cop in a bit part. One thing I really like is that although it follows a lot of the usual tropes and archetypes from this style of film, it really takes its time establishing motives in the first act so it's almost Clue-like in the mystery it sets up. Kind of reminded me of Harper's Island too, if anyone remembers that show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Benito Cereno posted:

I don't understand why Hammer stuff is so hard to get on DVD.

I could wander into HMV today and get a box set of over 20 Hammer movies for under £50.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I think it's due to multiple studios owning rights to Hammer films, at least in the U.S., I might be wrong about this though and maybe they just don't think a lot of them would sell.

Jedit posted:

I could wander into HMV today and get a box set of over 20 Hammer movies for under £50.

Well there's our problem...

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

The Hammer Frankenstein movies are my favorite horror franchise. Cushing is worth watching in anything.

Can you guys suggest any monster movies like Rawhead Rex or Cellar Dweller?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is Rawhead Rex good? I was looking over Clive Barker's imdb page and saw it there. I've heard about it in this thread before but don't know all that much about it.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Worth a watch on a drunken evening, but not good, no.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I just watched Enemy last night and while it's probably better categorized as a psychological thriller than a horror movie, I'll be damned if it didn't do an amazing job building dread over the course of the film. It reminded me a whole lot of the first half of Kill List in that aspect. Anybody else catch it yet?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, maybe I'll give that a shot but I find his stuff on movies to be pretty lame.

He's not the kind of guy who gets crazy in depth and most of the MM stuff is just breakdowns of the film but for someone who had never seen a Hammer film (!) it got me pretty hype to see them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

He's not the kind of guy who gets crazy in depth and most of the MM stuff is just breakdowns of the film but for someone who had never seen a Hammer film (!) it got me pretty hype to see them.

I watched one of his Godzilla ones once and it was just super boring. And "super boring" should never show up in the same sentence as "Godzilla."

I will say though that the AVGN reviews on the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street video games are still funny to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Basebf555 posted:

Is Rawhead Rex good? I was looking over Clive Barker's imdb page and saw it there. I've heard about it in this thread before but don't know all that much about it.

I wouldn't say "good" but it's not boring either. I had fun with it.

Essentially you need to ask yourself, "Do I want to see a Power Rangers villain terrorize a small Irish village and attempt to eat babies."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

Nthing that "good" is the complete wrong word to describe the film. It's an okay adaptation though, but the ending is changed and is kinda less well-written for it. They keep in a lot of the more memorable parts of the story though.

No, if you really want someone making an awful adaptation of Barker's work you want the same director's other film, Transmutations aka Underworld. Now that was a steaming pile of a movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I do too, but I love it. What's interesting about him is that the feeling of nostalgia I get from him is not from the stuff he talks about, but from James himself. Unlike almost every other Youtube Personality (tm), there's something charming about his naiveté. He wouldn't be out of place on public access and I find that very entertaining.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess I'll do a Clive Barker night sometime soon and watch Rawhide Rex. He's only directed like 5 films, 2 or 3 actually worth my time, so I'll branch out to stuff he wrote. Still never seen Lord of Illusions though, so maybe I'll go with a triple feature of LoI, Rawhide Rex, and Hellraiser. I'll watch Rex in the middle once I've got a good buzz going.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Has anyone seen My Engine's Fragile Sound? I only got about 20ish minutes into it last night before falling asleep but it seemed quite good. I'll probably finish it up tonight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2112217/combined

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rawhead Rex is worth it if only for the scene where Rex pisses in that heretic priest's face.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Well there's our problem...

No, there's his problem. That, and the same box is on Amazon.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
well that's $99 and ships slow-boat from Europe, but it's good to know there's the option at least.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I guess I'll do a Clive Barker night sometime soon and watch Rawhide Rex. He's only directed like 5 films, 2 or 3 actually worth my time, so I'll branch out to stuff he wrote. Still never seen Lord of Illusions though, so maybe I'll go with a triple feature of LoI, Rawhide Rex, and Hellraiser. I'll watch Rex in the middle once I've got a good buzz going.

I recommend the more recent adaptations whole-heartedly. Dread especially is really good.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I do too, but I love it. What's interesting about him is that the feeling of nostalgia I get from him is not from the stuff he talks about, but from James himself. Unlike almost every other Youtube Personality (tm), there's something charming about his naiveté. He wouldn't be out of place on public access and I find that very entertaining.

I've always liked his movie stuff and always looked forward to October for it. It's nice to have someone just talk about movies they loved as a kid or teen and still remember fondly. No need for analysis or nitpicking.

October is still too far :(

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Speaking of which, Jacob's Ladder is still such a freakyass movie. It has these quick moments to make you wonder if you really just saw or heard that. Sitting in the dark watching alone at night, that is some scary stuff.

Dream on.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

ruddiger posted:

Rawhead Rex is worth it if only for the scene where Rex pisses in that heretic priest's face.

A Christian being re-baptized in a stream of ancient pagan god/monster urine is like the single most Clive Barker thing ever put to film.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, Devil's Due was loving terrible. It felt like nothing happened for most of the movie, and then when stuff did finally start happening, it wasn't the least bit satisfying. What a waste of time. The only interesting part was that they filmed a couple scenes in places near my house and I hadn't heard about that happening so I had no idea until I saw them in the movie.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I'm just revisiting Stuart Gordon's King of the Ants I bought the DVD on a whim years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, it's rough around the ages and not exactly straight up horror but it's a pretty good flick.

Anyone else seen/enjoyed it???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOnhKuYXn1Q&sns=em

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

I'm just revisiting Stuart Gordon's King of the Ants I bought the DVD on a whim years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, it's rough around the ages and not exactly straight up horror but it's a pretty good flick.

Anyone else seen/enjoyed it???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOnhKuYXn1Q&sns=em

Yeah King of the Ants is pretty good. Stuart Gordon in ultrasleaze grindhouse mode, sort of a precursor to Stuck. Definitely a movie that makes you want a shower afterwards.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Jedit posted:

No, there's his problem. That, and the same box is on Amazon.

You got my hopes up, but then I realized this set is region locked. :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tomero_the_Great posted:

You got my hopes up, but then I realized this set is region locked. :(

Pretty much every current DVD player can be unlocked with a region unlock code though, even BluRay players (it only works for DVDs though).

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah King of the Ants is pretty good. Stuart Gordon in ultrasleaze grindhouse mode, sort of a precursor to Stuck. Definitely a movie that makes you want a shower afterwards.
Agreed. And the casting of George Wendt is pretty inspired.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Hedenius posted:

Agreed. And the casting of George Wendt is pretty inspired.

For a big Jolly looking dude he's pretty terrifying in that movie, in fact most of the cast do a pretty good job.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Pretty much every current DVD player can be unlocked with a region unlock code though, even BluRay players (it only works for DVDs though).

Yeah, this really hasn't been an issue since TVs standardised at 720/1080. It used to be a problem for US people to import European discs because NTSC was 525 lines and PAL/SECAM were both 625, but now everyone's using big PC monitors.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Bonk posted:

If you want a bit of cabin in the woods horror fare, a buddy of mine directed a Canadian indie horror called 'Death Do Us Part' which has just been released on DVD/iTunes. Same director as the Little Mermaid horror short I posted about earlier in the thread. You'll probably recognize Chief Tyrol from Battlestar Galactica as a cop in a bit part. One thing I really like is that although it follows a lot of the usual tropes and archetypes from this style of film, it really takes its time establishing motives in the first act so it's almost Clue-like in the mystery it sets up. Kind of reminded me of Harper's Island too, if anyone remembers that show.

I'm waiting on this one to arrive in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

The Nightmare on Elm Street remake is so loving bad. I thought and still think Rooney Mara is a good actress but everything in that movie was awful, especially Freddy's dialogue. Anyone care enough to defend it?