Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

So, the Hollywood Reporter has an hourlong round table with Kelsey Grammar, Peter Krause, Damien Lewis, Bryan Cranston, Kiefer Sutherland and John Hamm just talking about the industry and their experiences. It's phenomenal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEparrBK8A&t=1032s
I cued it up to a section where they talk about why TV has become the better medium for many actors, but the whole thing is worth a watch if you have a spare hour.

I was wondering what Kelsey Grammar was in to warrant him being in this year's roundtable and I about a two minutes in before I realized I already watched this one almost two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

drat, The Mindy Project was good last night.

True story. I didn't know it had the potential to be that funny, but it was really excellent. And no british doctor, who kinda sucked anyways.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

I was wondering what Kelsey Grammar was in to warrant him being in this year's roundtable and I about a two minutes in before I realized I already watched this one almost two years ago.

It took me five minutes and wondering why Cranston was still rocking the goatee.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

Prime's what, like $70 for a year membership? Worth it?

I don't like their interface and I don't love their selection, especially of movies (although that may be because I have such a hard time searching and browsing with their setup), but my argument with Prime is always the same. "Do you buy a decent amount of stuff on Amazon every year, like around Christmas time? Do you pay for shipping more than a couple of times a year? If so then you might as well get the big library."

They've definitely got good stuff, though. But I think Netflix might have them beat if you don't factor in the other Prime benefits.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

So, the Hollywood Reporter has an hourlong round table with Kelsey Grammar, Peter Krause, Damien Lewis, Bryan Cranston, Kiefer Sutherland and John Hamm just talking about the industry and their experiences. It's phenomenal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEparrBK8A&t=1032s
I cued it up to a section where they talk about why TV has become the better medium for many actors, but the whole thing is worth a watch if you have a spare hour.

Hearing Damien Lewis talk with his real accent freaks me right out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I wouldn't drop Netflix or anything, I just would like to know if there are at least, say, 15-20 shows on there that I would like to watch.

So, is Sorkin the first "celebrity" showrunner? I know shows have always had showrunners, but these days, with the proliferation of media devoted strictly to TV, people are a lot more aware of who's the major creative force, whether it be Weiner or Gilligan or whoever. Maybe they talked about this poo poo all the time in TV Guide back in the day, I don't know, but it seems to me that the first dude I can remember being talked about like it was "his" show and there was a sense of individual ownership of the whole project was Sorkin with the West Wing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Well I wouldn't drop Netflix or anything, I just would like to know if there are at least, say, 15-20 shows on there that I would like to watch.

So, is Sorkin the first "celebrity" showrunner? I know shows have always had showrunners, but these days, with the proliferation of media devoted strictly to TV, people are a lot more aware of who's the major creative force, whether it be Weiner or Gilligan or whoever. Maybe they talked about this poo poo all the time in TV Guide back in the day, I don't know, but it seems to me that the first dude I can remember being talked about like it was "his" show and there was a sense of individual ownership of the whole project was Sorkin with the West Wing.

Was the West Wing before or after Buffy? Cause I'd say Joss Whedon counts as a "celebrity" showrunner for that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Was the West Wing before or after Buffy? Cause I'd say Joss Whedon counts as a "celebrity" showrunner for that.

WW was 2 years after Buffy, but Buffy was always more of cult show whereas everyone was talking about TWW.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about David E. Kelley? Picket Fences, Ally McBeal, The Practice, etc all have that distinct Kelley-ness.

Though Sorkin is the first guy I recall where the commercials pimped his name so much. He was in all the promos for Studio 60.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Stephen J. Cannell literally put himself at the end of every episode of television he produced.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Dick Wolf would also have to be up there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And before all that it was Aaron Spelling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who was the guy with the post credits slate where he was typing a script and threw out a page and it became his logo?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

Who was the guy with the post credits slate where he was typing a script and threw out a page and it became his logo?

Wasn't that always at the end of Quantum Leap?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Sherwood Schwartz

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DivisionPost posted:

Stephen J. Cannell literally put himself at the end of every episode of television he produced.

That's who I was going to say. I knew who Cannell was before I knew who he was.

zoux posted:

That's Cannell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah it's Stephen J Cannell, btw.

But am I wrong here, it does seem like there is much more awareness of who a showrunner is today than even 20 years ago.

Oh also, the dog Ubu, there's a famous showrunner.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The worst is that whiny kid saying "What's that mean" while he points in the distance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sit, Ubu, sit.
Good dog.

Its like a Pavlovian response with most everyone I've ever met.

I think its obvious that showrunners and writers just are going to be bigger and more celebrities with the internet. If you wanted to know about that stuff before you'd have to watch Entertainment Tonight or read an interview in TV Guide or Rolling Stone or something. Now you're just going to catch a lot more stuff online from the million places it can be, especially if you're looking for stuff on the show. 20 years ago if you had wanted to read Alan Seppinwall interview Vince Gilligan about the Breaking Bad finale you'd need to wait and buy a magazine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Sit, Ubu, sit.
Good dog.

Its like a Pavlovian response with most everyone I've ever met.

I think its obvious that showrunners and writers just are going to be bigger and more celebrities with the internet. If you wanted to know about that stuff before you'd have to watch Entertainment Tonight or read an interview in TV Guide or Rolling Stone or something. Now you're just going to catch a lot more stuff online from the million places it can be, especially if you're looking for stuff on the show. 20 years ago if you had wanted to read Alan Seppinwall interview Vince Gilligan about the Breaking Bad finale you'd need to wait and buy a magazine.

And now you have Bryan Fuller doing weekly breakdowns of Hannibal the next day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I remember when Lost was huge didn't the show creators use to release a podcast after every episode breaking it down?

That type of access and saturation was just impossible pre-internet and is at a peak right now. Kurt Sutter's blog. Dan Harmon's twitter. Even stuff like The Talking Dead and Talking Bad seem born out of Hardwick's online work. There's just so many ways for these guys to get their comments, faces, and names out there and people eat it up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

With Lost I actually thought JJ Abrams ran the show for the longest time. I guess I didn't really read interviews.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I know Ronald D Moore did post-airing podcast commentaries for BSG. In fact, they used those as the official commentary tracks on the DVDs after Season 1 (I think).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

snicker

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
They just announced that Meg Ryan is voicing the Mother in How I Met Your Dad, which is something.

And the Lost podcasts were genuinely very entertaining, probably worth seeking out if you're a fan who hasn't listened to them (although they would definitely have a weird time capsule quality to them now). BSG ones also pretty interesting, especially in the era when there was a lot less stuff out there discussing the nitty-gritty of how TV is made (of which there is now an insane amount, which I think is how this topic got started). I know Breaking Bad had some recently, but I seem to remember them being fairly unremarkable.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

snicker

Later on they became

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm where exactly is this incredible world >_>

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

zoux posted:

So, is Sorkin the first "celebrity" showrunner?

I can't be the only one around here old enough to know who Steven Bochco is.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Apparently everyone's forgotten Rod Serling.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Yeah it's Stephen J Cannell, btw.

But am I wrong here, it does seem like there is much more awareness of who a showrunner is today than even 20 years ago.

Oh also, the dog Ubu, there's a famous showrunner.

I don't think so, just that like with most things, the Internet gives everyone increased exposure. If you give it a minute of thought you can probably come up with a handful of recognizable names from shows you watched as a kid, along with the UHF channel reruns of shows from a couple decades before your time.
Plus there are way more TV shows, people to run them, and channels to show them on than 20 years ago.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How about Alfred Hitchcock? Or Merv Griffin?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Acinonyx posted:

I can't be the only one around here old enough to know who Steven Bochco is.

scary ghost dog posted:

Apparently everyone's forgotten Rod Serling.

No idea who either of those are.

Edit:

STAC Goat posted:

How about Alfred Hitchcock? Or Merv Griffin?

Who?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

^^^
Oh shut up, you. I go through my day feeling old enough without someone trying to make me feel older.

GraPar posted:

They just announced that Meg Ryan is voicing the Mother in How I Met Your Dad, which is something.

I can't imagine this lasting much longer than That 80's Show did. At least that show came out when That 70's Show was still at its peak, I haven't talked to anybody that didn't think the ending of HIMYM wasn't terrible. Of course CBS has this way of taking shows nobody wants to watch and keeping them on the air for years, so who knows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Serling is the guy who did the classic Twilight Zone introductions.

Bocho did a bunch of cop and lawyer shows in the 70s and 80s like Hill Street Blues and LA Law. His recognizable production stamp was a violin playing classical music.

Edit: Ok, if you don't know Hitchcock I'm gonna assume I missed the trolling and walk away before I get snobby.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Hmmm where exactly is this incredible world >_>

Surprised no one has jumped on this with an 'In my pants' response

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Serling is the guy who did the classic Twilight Zone introductions.

Bocho did a bunch of cop and lawyer shows in the 70s and 80s like Hill Street Blues and LA Law. His recognizable production stamp was a violin playing classical music.

Edit: Ok, if you don't know Hitchcock I'm gonna assume I missed the trolling and walk away before I get snobby.

Serling is also the creator and writer of the Twilight Zone, and had enormous amounts of creative control over it, in 1959. Alfred Hitchcock beat him to the punch four years earlier in 1955 with basically the same show minus the stellar quality of every single episode ever produced. Alfred Hitchcock Presents was pretty much just good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Norman Lear was another one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah, I know what Serling did I was just kind of focusing on why people would recognize him. If you've ever watched an episode of the Twilight Zone you know Serling. Hell, even if you haven't watched an episode you've probably heard his classic intro.

Same with Hitchcock. Even if you've never seen a Hitchcock episode or film you have to know the name, recognize his silhouette, or his recognizable voice.

Stuff like that is just so deep in the cultural memory that I'm always shocked if someone hasn't at least seen a parody or reference. I have a friend who used to always recognize "new" old things I exposed him to by the time Simpsons or Family Guy joked about it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball had a production company called Desilu as well, which was probably mostly notable for producing I Love Lucy and the original Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

• Locked thread