Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Mouse
Aug 12, 2008

Kojiro posted:

Is this normal? I don't usually overreact like this but I've been crying like half a dozen times a day.

Totally normal. We got siblings, then found out about littermate syndrome. In between that and trying to cope with crating, lack of sleep and the realisation that I had two beings that depended on me totally, I had a few meltdowns. My favourite one was where I sat on the ground and burst into tears because I didn't think the pups were bonding with me, and they came up and started licking my face. Came a hairs breadth to rehoming one, which was the internet remedy for siblings.

Fast forward 5 months and Im sitting on the couch snuggling with my two balls of fluff, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Hang in there, it gets better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
My dog/puppy is about a year and a half. He keeps on trying to eat grass while on his walks. He will literally stop at every single patch of grass to try to eat it. We try not to let him eat it because the last time he did he ended up throwing it back up. Is there any reason why dogs eat grass? I figured because he had an upset stomach or something but he tries to eat grass every time we take him on a walk and that's 4 times a day.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Some dogs just like salad.

grey gray grey
Dec 1, 2011
Just realizing that my 8-month old Poodle mix is a tick magnet. He is on Trifexis for everything else, but it doesn't cover ticks. Any suggestions? My vet recommended a tick collar and I'm a little wary. (Also, we would've never made it through day 1 of puppy without reading every single post in this thread. Thanks, everyone!) Now, meet Kinny...

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I've heard some bad shizz about trifexis.
I use frontline on my dogs (recommended by my veterinarian parents). Flea collars usually don't work in my experience.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

grey gray grey posted:

Just realizing that my 8-month old Poodle mix is a tick magnet. He is on Trifexis for everything else, but it doesn't cover ticks. Any suggestions? My vet recommended a tick collar and I'm a little wary. (Also, we would've never made it through day 1 of puppy without reading every single post in this thread. Thanks, everyone!) Now, meet Kinny...

omg those cheeks. Happiest dog ever. Please post more pictures.

luscious fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 21, 2014

catamar
May 23, 2008

Faltion posted:

I've got a 7 month old corgi and he just reeks constantly. He uses his anal glads both for excitement and for fear and he's almost always feeling one or the other. He's getting over his 7 month fear phase that started a couple of weeks ago that started when our neighbor put up a new shed and he was so afraid of it he wouldn't poop unless he could get as far away from it in our yard as possible.

He got neutered about 5 days ago which just compounded the problem and now I can't even bathe him until his cone can come off. It's so bad that my wife can hardly be in the same room as him as she has a way more sensitive sense of smell than me with my allergies. Even when I do give him a bath he will start stinking again within a few hours. He's not even really afraid of baths (but yes on the blow dyer so drying him is a pain). Our vet gave us some spray on conditioner that is supposed to help but I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Besides his stink this dog does not eat or drink water. He'll go days without kibble or sometimes just take a few out of the bowl and that is all I'll see him eat for days. He keeps me up at night by licking his lips because, I assume, his mouth is dry but if I bring him to his water bowl he just looks at it and walks off even if I put ice cubes in it, which he used to enjoy.

This dog drives me nuts.

My corgi was horrifically stinky when we got her and we had to switch food twice before she got less disgusting. The Science Diet low-calorie formula the shelter fed her and the Blue Buffalo our other dog ate weren't working, but when we switched to the Costco Nature's Domain her coat cleared up within a week. Have you tried a new food yet, or are you totally sure it's his anal glands?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Riley picked up fleas this weekend. Been through him twice with a flea comb and have a flea collar on him for now. Going to the vet Saturday anyways so the collar seems to be tiding him over.

Do flees slow dogs down at all? He seems a little slow compared to last week (my first week with him)

Suggestions for products to use on my carpet?

650 sq apt.

grey gray grey
Dec 1, 2011

pizzadog posted:

I use frontline on my dogs (recommended by my veterinarian parents). Flea collars usually don't work in my experience.

I had heard some pretty dramatic, and horrible, stuff about Trifexis too. When I switched to a new vet, I talked with her at length about Trifexis and my concerns, which she put to rest with her experiences, some good reading material and a few studies. Kinny hasn't had any side effects, and so far it has done the trick. I might have to switch to something that covers ticks though, if there isn't a supplemental option besides a collar.

And as requested, more Kinny...

Sorry the last one is a little blurry, but it shows off his snazzy new haircut!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I suddenly heard JoJo crying and came to find that mom had put her in the crate, even though it's night and she's a nocturnal breed, and also can't hold it all night till morning or during the seven or so hours we'd be away during the day. I'm going to ask my grandmother to look after her while we're away and work on crate training when we're here. Poor girl, as scared as she was, even if I did get her out after much arguing with mom.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

grey gray grey posted:

Muppets are real!?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

WickedHate posted:

I suddenly heard JoJo crying and came to find that mom had put her in the crate, even though it's night and she's a nocturnal breed, and also can't hold it all night till morning or during the seven or so hours we'd be away during the day. I'm going to ask my grandmother to look after her while we're away and work on crate training when we're here. Poor girl, as scared as she was, even if I did get her out after much arguing with mom.

So wait, what? You took the dog out of the crate because she was crying? Did you read the crate training OP at all?

Also she's not a 'nocturnal breed', what would that even be. No dog is a 'nocturnal' dog. A dog is a dog. Your dog is not a bat, she is a puppy who is now learning that whenever she cries you will come running. Work on that ASAP or you're going to have a massive anxious problem on your hands.

I'm way surprised that more people didn't say anything about it being a pyr/anatolian mix. That's going to be a terrifying nightmare of a dog unless it's handled right, I hope you know that. LGDs don't give a poo poo about humans, traditionally.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 22, 2014

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm sure that Aiko's owner can chime in w/r/t dogs being "nocturnal" or whatever since I know that she works night shift and assume that Aiko has a sometimes weird schedule. However she seems to be totally adjusted to it and does really well. I think that as long as your dog follows a general routine and is getting enough sleep it doesn't really care what time of day it is.

If you're really worried that it's a "nocturnal" breed you can put something to keep it mentally stimulated in the crate so if it wakes up it has something to do.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Foxy posted:

So wait, what? You took the dog out of the crate because she was crying? Did you read the crate training OP at all?

Also she's not a 'nocturnal breed', what would that even be. No dog is a 'nocturnal' dog. A dog is a dog. Your dog is not a bat, she is a puppy who is now learning that whenever she cries you will come running. Work on that ASAP or you're going to have a massive anxious problem on your hands.

It's not that I took her out because she was crying(the crying just alerted me to the situation), but because everyone in the house was about to go to bed and I had read she's too young to keep in the crate as long as had been planned by the others in the house. The problem was doing it so late.

I heard the nocturnal thing from someone, that Pyrenees sleep all day and are more active at night. I assumed it was right, but I guess not?

luscious posted:

If you're really worried that it's a "nocturnal" breed you can put something to keep it mentally stimulated in the crate so if it wakes up it has something to do.
We have some toys she likes that we put in there with her.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 22, 2014

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Puppies sleep at night when you do. She'll be fine. Crate her. If she cries, guess what, she's gonna cry. Ignore it.

Take her out before crating, once in the night and once super early in the morning, then gradually phase out so that it's all night.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Foxy posted:

Puppies sleep at night when you do. She'll be fine. Crate her. If she cries, guess what, she's gonna cry. Ignore it.

Take her out before crating, once in the night and once super early in the morning, then gradually phase out so that it's all night.

Alright then, I can do that! :)

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I heard the nocturnal thing from someone, that Pyrenees sleep all day and are more active at night. I assumed it was right, but I guess not?

I've heard the nocturnal thing as well, but I've known a bunch of Pyrs and it doesn't seem like it's really that true. Not enough that you should let it influence your training decisions anyway--even if the breed does tend to be more active at night, they do just fine adapting to a normal schedule. I suspect it comes from the fact that in a working situation they'd be more active at night because that's when most predators are active. I'm not sure I believe that it actually translates to pet Pyrs being more active at night.

And yeah, that's going to be a difficult mix. I hope you're planning on doing a lot of socialization, especially with strangers coming into your home and things like that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Abutiu posted:

And yeah, that's going to be a difficult mix. I hope you're planning on doing a lot of socialization, especially with strangers coming into your home and things like that.

I do. I make sure to pet and play with her often.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Well good, that's 'petting and playing with' covered. Still need to work on socialization, which is neither of those two things.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Foxy posted:

Well good, that's 'petting and playing with' covered. Still need to work on socialization, which is neither of those two things.

Oh. What is it that I should do, then?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Oh. What is it that I should do, then?

Read the OP and the thread.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

The OP posted:

Socialization with your new puppy is a critical part of his development. This cannot be stressed enough. Dr. Ian Dunbar believes that socialization should begin within the first two weeks of birth, and the puppy should meet over 100 new people and dogs within the first 8 weeks of life.

Obviously this is an intimidating and difficult task to achieve for a new puppy owner, so you shouldn’t feel guilty if this is beyond your reach, and most or all of this period is out of your control anyways.. By the same respect, socialization behaviors are learned very early in life and tend to “stick” from that point forward.

The important thing for new owners to focus on is to aggressively socialize their new family members with as many people and dogs as possible, but to also structure these situations to be positive. Use people and dogs that you know and trust whenever possible and attempt to enroll in puppy kindergarten as well. Use the guidelines for finding trainers above to locate a puppy kindergarten class and trainer that you trust.

When selecting a class, make sure that the class is off-leash. Many puppy classes are not off leash and this tends to lead to increased frustration for both owners and puppies as they attempt to deal with the restraint. Puppy kindergarten is about socialization more than training.

For more details on what is and is not advised in regards to socialization, please check out this article on Karen Pryor's website: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3953

It's really important to do but don't worry, it's not like you're too late. I've had Buddy for a couple weeks now and, because he still needs some shots, I haven't gotten to really socialize him with other dogs.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah, I had read that the first time I came to the thread but didn't remember the name. We're doing our best with that. On Easter we took her with us to interact with some relatives and their pets.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
This book has a lot of good information on socialization in it. It's easy to understand and sounds like it could be very useful for you.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Ah, I had read that the first time I came to the thread but didn't remember the name. We're doing our best with that. On Easter we took her with us to interact with some relatives and their pets.

Supposedly there are experts that say you're supposed to introduce yourself to dozens or a hundred pets/people or something insane like that. I don't think it's realistic, but if you strive for it and fall short you'll still have made more introductions than just you're friends/family and their pets. Take it from experience, I have a dog who was poorly socialized and resource guards, and another dog that was better socialized and is the nicest dog in the world.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Abutiu posted:

This book has a lot of good information on socialization in it. It's easy to understand and sounds like it could be very useful for you.

Thank you for the recommendation!

mcswizzle posted:

Supposedly there are experts that say you're supposed to introduce yourself to dozens or a hundred pets/people or something insane like that. I don't think it's realistic, but if you strive for it and fall short you'll still have made more introductions than just you're friends/family and their pets. Take it from experience, I have a dog who was poorly socialized and resource guards, and another dog that was better socialized and is the nicest dog in the world.
Got it. I'll start walking her outside of the area around the house so she can meet others, and see what I can do about inviting more people over, too.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Thank you for the recommendation!

Got it. I'll start walking her outside of the area around the house so she can meet others, and see what I can do about inviting more people over, too.

Don't just do it to do it. It can be counter productive, or worse progressively destructive, if you have a bad encounter it could damage all the work you've already done. Don't let a dog sneak up, don't ever let your dog get cornered - always make sure your dog can get away from a situation (don't lock your dog in a room with another dog, don't use the leash to keep him in range of another dog, etc etc), and make treats rain from the sky as long as they are being good.

You also want to introduce new environments as well as people and dogs. Just try to make sure that you recognize things that are new experiences for your dog, and that every single time one comes up you ensure that the dog is comfortable and excited to be there. If you pick up any signs that the dog is not comfortable you need to step back and find the dogs comfort zone.

As has been said, try to get better at identifying your dogs body language, and you'll be better equipped to see bad situations coming.

mcswizzle fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 23, 2014

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Yeah I recently saw a dog having a REALLY bad time at the dogpark and the owner had no idea even though more than one of us told him the situation was bad. Keep in mind that your dog has to really trust that you will protect it, as well, and remove it from lovely situations as fast as possible.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

grey gray grey posted:

pizzadog posted:

So, we just started selling the collar where I work after a few vets and employees used it for two tick seasons. It's called Seresto and it's made by the producers of Frontline. We've all had huge successes with it and have been really trying to push it as we're in a Lyme endemic area. It's not chalky at all - if you're familiar with the birth control Nuvaring, it's really similar to that in that it feels like a regular piece of plastic but it releases some medication over time. It's totally safe to touch and doesn't smell.

We don't blame people for being apprehensive of it, especially if they have children, but I definitely see it working and do encourage people to try it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Shnooks posted:

We've all had huge successes with it and have been really trying to push it as we're in a Lyme endemic area.

We have lyme going through our area too. Glad I got the vaccine this weekend on my older dog, need to get it done for my other dog as well. Did lepto too since I spend a lot of time in the woods during the warm months.

$433 vet bill for an annual though. My wallet has been taking a beating.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Our puppy is about 3 months old now, and I was wondering how we can stop her from peeing when she gets excited? If we go out somewhere and even leave her in the crate for only a couple hours she will pee in excitement when we get back. Same thing in the morning if we don't put her crate in our room. Will she grow out of it or can we train it out of her? I feel bad because she doesn't even seem to be aware of it, but she pees all over her bedding and we need to wash it literally every day or she will have to sleep in her own mess.

Any suggestions for this?

Also our puppy is 3 months old and weighs 12 lbs. She's a lab mix and from what I can tell online she should weigh somewhere around 20-30 lbs at this point. Based on this do you think she will always be small or do you think she will have a growth spurt at some point? We've had her for about 3 weeks at this point and she's gone from ~8 lbs to 12 lbs. I don't mind having a smaller dog or anything, just curious.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
We've been working with our pup for a while getting her to walk better and not pull. We've made a lot of progress with the help of an front clip harness and going to puppy obedience training (we are in the middle of our first session). HOWEVER, she still goes crazy and barks at passing runners and other dogs out walking. She seems to ignore dogs barking from inside their own houses but trying to get her to continue walking with me is proving to be a bit troublesome.

Is this something that will get better the more we train her to walk by us or is there something I can try to train her to do? When she's off leash at the dog park she doesn't bark at people walking by or people in the park at all. She's actually pretty social so I don't get it.

grey gray grey
Dec 1, 2011

Shnooks posted:

So, we just started selling the collar where I work after a few vets and employees used it for two tick seasons. It's called Seresto and it's made by the producers of Frontline. We've all had huge successes with it and have been really trying to push it as we're in a Lyme endemic area. It's not chalky at all - if you're familiar with the birth control Nuvaring, it's really similar to that in that it feels like a regular piece of plastic but it releases some medication over time. It's totally safe to touch and doesn't smell.

We don't blame people for being apprehensive of it, especially if they have children, but I definitely see it working and do encourage people to try it.

Thanks for this! The collar that was suggested to me is Preventix. Good to know there's another version out there that you've tested and had good luck with, and especially one that doesn't smell! Thanks again!

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Not sure if this should go here or in the training thread. If you guys would prefer it there, let me know.

This is my first dog that I'm taking care of and training. I have an 8 year old greyhound that really is fantastic except for one thing. At my mother's house, she tends to mark in the house. She isn't struggling to hold her bladder and she knows she's not supposed to pee in the house. And she never does this at our own home. My mother has an ancient jrt that has occasionally had accidents in the house. So maybe she's smelling that and trying to lay down her own scent? I don't punish her or anything after it, mostly I'm just really confused as to how to deal with it. Any suggestions?

Fantastic dog in question.

E: weird image format needed fixing.

ghostgirl118 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 23, 2014

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

ghostgirl118 posted:

Not sure if this should go here or in the training thread. If you guys would prefer it there, let me know.

This is my first dog that I'm taking care of and training. I have an 8 year old greyhound that really is fantastic except for one thing. At my mother's house, she tends to mark in the house. She isn't struggling to hold her bladder and she knows she's not supposed to pee in the house. And she never does this at our own home. My mother has an ancient jrt that has occasionally had accidents in the house. So maybe she's smelling that and trying to lay down her own scent? I don't punish her or anything after it, mostly I'm just really confused as to how to deal with it. Any suggestions?

If the house smells like pee, she's going to pee in the house unless you manage her pretty carefully. Treat her like she's not housetrained in your mom's house (crate/tether, take out on a schedule), and make sure your mother is cleaning up after the JRT with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle so there isn't lingering scent.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So I've found my corgi goes crazy for inflatable toys. (Balls, Dinosaurs, giant novelty hammers). Unfortunately these things are not really durable. Does anyone know if there a dog appropriate version out there? i.e. Something that could stand up the the abuse.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

.Z. posted:

So I've found my corgi goes crazy for inflatable toys. (Balls, Dinosaurs, giant novelty hammers). Unfortunately these things are not really durable. Does anyone know if there a dog appropriate version out there? i.e. Something that could stand up the the abuse.

I got a fake balloon toy animal in a Bark Box a couple months ago. See if you can track it down? It looked like a balloon animal dog or something and squeeked.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

GanjamonII posted:

Our puppy is about 3 months old now, and I was wondering how we can stop her from peeing when she gets excited? If we go out somewhere and even leave her in the crate for only a couple hours she will pee in excitement when we get back. Same thing in the morning if we don't put her crate in our room. Will she grow out of it or can we train it out of her? I feel bad because she doesn't even seem to be aware of it, but she pees all over her bedding and we need to wash it literally every day or she will have to sleep in her own mess.

Any suggestions for this?

She'll probably grow out of it, but until that happens, taking her outside immediately will help. As in, you get home, make a beeline for her crate, and take her right out. When you get up in the morning, have anything you need handy (like shoes and a jacket if you have to go out with her), roll out of bed, get her out of her crate and take her immediately outside. Do it with as little fuss as possible, no excited voices or anything. It's a pretty common problem with puppies though because they just don't have that much bladder control at that age, so if their bladder is full and they get excited there's not much they can do. Also, of course, try to get her to pee right before you put her in the crate, but I'm guessing you do that already.

lazerwolf posted:

We've been working with our pup for a while getting her to walk better and not pull. We've made a lot of progress with the help of an front clip harness and going to puppy obedience training (we are in the middle of our first session). HOWEVER, she still goes crazy and barks at passing runners and other dogs out walking. She seems to ignore dogs barking from inside their own houses but trying to get her to continue walking with me is proving to be a bit troublesome.

Is this something that will get better the more we train her to walk by us or is there something I can try to train her to do? When she's off leash at the dog park she doesn't bark at people walking by or people in the park at all. She's actually pretty social so I don't get it.

It'll probably improve as you train her more, since it sounds like it's just excited barking and not fearful. Teaching her the Look at That! game might help. It's recommended a lot for fear reactivity but I don't see why it wouldn't help with puppy excitement too.

When they're first learning to walk with you, it's pretty common to have to stop often to refocus their attention onto you. LAT or even a simple "watch me" command is really useful for that. Or anyway, it has been for me.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

luscious posted:

I got a fake balloon toy animal in a Bark Box a couple months ago. See if you can track it down? It looked like a balloon animal dog or something and squeeked.

Guessing you mean these things: http://www.amazon.com/Charming-Pet-Latex-Balloon-Large/dp/B003UOKGYI

Not sure if that'll work for him, but I'll take a look. Thanks for the input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Now that Buddy has gotten all his shots, I'm going to sign up for dog obedience classes, both to train him and get him used to other dogs. Should I sign up for puppy kindergarten or their standard training class? Buddy is a little under 4 months, pretty well behaved with me, but not very good at commands other than "leave it"/"drop it," sit, and come.

Edit: I asked them and they just said "your choice"

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 23, 2014