Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I can't seem to log onto the CO main site to manage my billing sub. It keeps directing me to ARC.

At Arc, I can't manage my billing too. Anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
That seems to be a common problem, so Trailturtle has added a stickied link for it in the main Discussion forum. Just visit here for the CO Log-In page.

Shame that they couldn't have bothered to make sure links to important things were added before forcing us to use their dullest-design-possible Arc pages.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks goon sir.

That's kinda messed up. If I didn't get it done in time, they would have charged me again since only the CO login could manage my subs.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There's some big April Fools(I think?) event up on the test server, along with 'Vehicles 2.0'.

The event itself is Foxbatcon, a Foxbat convention to celebrate Foxbat, and seems pretty goofy. There's two new costume sets in there. One you buy with a Foxbat currency that you either earn from a daily quest or have a chance to get randomly from Foxbat Swag Bags that I guess just drop from enemies anywhere in the game? And the other one is, of course, in a lockbox. The currency-bought one is 'Classic' Foxbat and seems to be kind of based on the 60's Adam West Batman TV series, and the lockbox one is '90s Foxbat' and seems more based on the Nolan Batman movies. There's also a vehicle in the lockbox that's pretty much the weird helicopter thing Batman used in Dark Knight Rises.

The 'Vehicles 2.0' thing seems to just be the ability to upgrade your vehicle into a better vehicle with more slots for stuff on it and better stats, as well as new visual appearances. Still no visual customization, though. And to upgrade them you need some sort of Upgrade Kit thing that you have to buy in the cash shop. I don't know enough about vehicles to know if it's worth doing at all.

I do like that there's an Aura in the Foxbat lockbox that gives you the BAM!, ZAP!, POW!, etc visual splashes whenever you deal a crit to an enemy. Gonna have to get one of those.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Kelp Plankton posted:

and the lockbox one is '90s Foxbat' and seems more based on the Nolan Batman movies.

Gven the timing, I would think that might instead be based on the Keaton-Kilmer-Clooney chain of Batman movies rather than the Nolan ones, wouldn't it? I mean I haven't seen the actual set, but that sounds what we're looking at, and something that could theoretically confused with the Nolan Batsuit.

...Or it could be a Liefeld-inspired suit.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's not a molded muscle suit, it looks a lot more like the Nolan armor stuff. The references they make are to the 80s-90s Batman movies, but the suit itself doesn't seem based on those at all. The vehicle you can get from that lockbox is really, really blatantly just The Bat from the Nolan stuff but slightly more bat-shaped, so they're kind of mashing things together I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just post the pictures, man!

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I'm having issues with screenshots on the test forum unfortunately, but I can say this: The 90s Foxbat mask is literally wolverine's mask. Literally. Not real close. Not kinda similar. It's the exact same, two-tone design and everything. The rest of it is basically nolan-bat with some poo poo chest piece that looks way out of place.

The BatFox looks cool as poo poo though.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Aphrodite posted:

Just post the pictures, man!

Here's a bunch of them.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
So is the only way to install the game now through the Arc client? And if so, how much can I expect to hate it being on my hard drive?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

You might still be able to grab it off Steam, and you're probably better off doing it that way anyway since steam wallet is infinitely superior to the clusterfuck that is perfect world's account system on the off chance you ever feel like wasting money. If that forces Arc on you, then yeah you're SOL.

As for Arc itself, it's... alright? It's completely unnecessary and adds an extra step, but it doesn't have a big footprint and is pretty much a launcher-launcher. There's a few upsides to it too, like the gimmick giveaways for using it, and the fact it can save your password so you don't have to type it out each time, but... yeah. Really it's just kind of there.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I think I'll take my chances with Steam. I'm feeling a superhero itch and since CoX is no more, this is kind of all I have left.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
As far as I'm aware it still installs and runs just fine off Steam with no need to install Arc as well.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Costume contest finalists are in, and of course, they're pretty underwhelming. I guess so little people bothered entering that one dude has two entries :v:

The spider one is neat, I guess. And one of them is just lolicon fetish fuel incarnate :pedo:

I'd be okay if the Not Transformer or Spider Suit won, I guess.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I voted for the holo armor. If it works like the drawings, it'd be glow city. The FB link doesn't do that actual submission justice. http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4084061&postcount=23

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So if anyone was wondering, with the relatively recent changes to rampages this game has actual fun end game content now. Didn't see it mentioned before so I figured i'd post about it here.

The UNTIL Sky Carrier rampage continues to be amazing too. If you have a level 30+ character you really should try it if at all possible. It's how casual/serious end game "raids" should be done. No stacking up on one target or a boss. No massive HP mobs that take ten minutes to kill if you try to solo it. Just ten of you against 500 Marvel style Doombots in an epic drag-out-smashfest miles high in the sky on a destroyable carrier you have to defend.

They just need to pump out more content like that and the game would probably pick up again.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 1, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Some of us can't fly :(

Can you be detailed about what the changes to rampages were? Rampages are the kind of instance that includes Gravitar, right?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

LordSaturn posted:

Can you be detailed about what the changes to rampages were? Rampages are the kind of instance that includes Gravitar, right?

It was done back in February apparently, but they consolidated a bunch of content into ten man rampages that cycle over time. You can queue for them starting around level 30.

The carrier mission for instance is a rampage mission now. Previously it was a queueable alert off in its own tab that no one ever ran before. Likewise the previously limited time Lemurian Invasion event is another rampage. As is the Fire and Ice rampage and Gravitar rampage.

They apparently added a ton of new gear, perks, and unlocks to rampages too. Apparently there's a large amount of costume unlocks that come as drops for completion or other stuff. There's also an actual end game progression with gear (Integrated with the mod slots system.) and currencies too.

They also added private queues for rampages. So if you somehow had ten friends or guild members playing this game you could just queue for it and cut out pubbies from the mix.

About the only negative thing i've seen so far is that some of the end game gear appears to require small amounts of drifter salvage on top of the new currencies. However given the rate you earn questionite from them it's fairly easy to buy the salvage with your questionite.

quote:

All the rampages that require flying give a device that lets you do that. Though so far I haven't had any problems through careful use of stuff like swinging, teleporting, and acrobatics.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 1, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

And somehow I ended up posting the same thing twice when I hit submit reply. :wtc:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Archonex posted:

There's also an actual end game progression with gear (Integrated with the mod slots system.) and currencies too.

If they actually added content/progression at level cap I may have to reinstall this. Lack of stuff to do was always the game's biggest issue.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wait, this game isn't dead after all? Huh, might have to reinstall, myself.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

WarLocke posted:

If they actually added content/progression at level cap I may have to reinstall this. Lack of stuff to do was always the game's biggest issue.

From what i've seen so far, the way it works is that there's tokens that drop as part of the completion rewards for the rampages. You need so many tokens from each rampage to get a piece of justice gear, along with a small amount of drifter salvage. Only rampage is doable at a time, so it takes a bit just to get one piece of gear if that's all you want from the game.

I'm also not sure if the tokens drop randomly or not. Unfortunately I haven't run it enough to get some hard data on the drop rates. The times when I got them from the Lemurian Invasion the raid scored above the usual "100" score it gives you by default. Which makes me think that maybe there's an element of reward there for playing well. Don't quote me on that though. For all I know I just got lucky.

I also got some gear drops from the Lemurian Invasion rampage as well. I assume this is how you get all the neat goodies they said they added. But since the guy who owned the CO wiki shut it down over drama I can't find a collaborative list of loot drops or where they're located at.

The old temporary story arc dungeons (Like Cybermind.) are also in as custom alerts that cycle in as well. Not sure when they got added in, but that's the first time i've seen Cybermind available as an alert. Someone else can probably comment on how long they've been there.

There's definitely an element of challenge now. The Lemurian Invasion is pathetically easy (It's actually impossible to fail that specific rampage.), but the Carrier alert was always balls hard if you didn't have a group that was good at the game. So it's something to do at the endgame at least.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 2, 2014

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.
Token drops are random. Your odds of getting one go down after you've gotten one each cycle, on a per-character basis, so people will tend to switch characters after they get one.

If you think Sky Carrier is hard, wait until Fire & Ice rotates in. It's very much a traditional raid--dedicated tanks and healers required, anyone who isn't a tank gets flattened in seconds if they get aggro, you have to adhere to a certain strategy, etc. They even put in a disincentive to move around unless necessary, so people tend to stand in place. It's the most numerically demanding of the rampages (or any other content) by far. In many ways it doesn't feel like Champions Online at all, for good or ill.

And since the new justice gear requires tokens from all four rampages, Fire & Ice may serve as a roadblock to getting any of it at all unless you can form a solid group to queue with.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Archonex posted:

The old temporary story arc dungeons (Like Cybermind.) are also in as custom alerts that cycle in as well. Not sure when they got added in, but that's the first time i've seen Cybermind available as an alert. Someone else can probably comment on how long they've been there.

There's definitely an element of challenge now. The Lemurian Invasion is pathetically easy (It's actually impossible to fail that specific rampage.), but the Carrier alert was always balls hard if you didn't have a group that was good at the game. So it's something to do at the endgame at least.

The custom alerts (like Cybermind) have been in rotation for quite some time now. The Rampage rotation is a bit more recent though (came about around March).

The general order of difficulty I'd rank the four alerts is Lemurian Invasion, Sky Carrier, Gravitar, then Fire and Ice. F&I distinct since it's the only one that requires not only a specific team makeup with roles, but also a great deal of coordination (warning when you're held by ice, which enemy to attack to keep the other from going berserk, and how to position one another.) Also of note, if you want to run F&I with a melee DPS, make sure to try getting a team with a ranged tank.

Guy Forget posted:

And since the new justice gear requires tokens from all four rampages, Fire & Ice may serve as a roadblock to getting any of it at all unless you can form a solid group to queue with.

Thankfully it's a bit easier than it might initially seem. If you join the Rampagers channel (which is public) you'll be seeing all kinds of team requests that can form competent runs of F&I. Basically, never do a pug queue for a rampage. The big roadblock is braving the RNG to actually get the tokens to drop.

All that said and done, there's still nothing in the game that justifies getting Justice gear yet. Every rampage boss can be pretty competently tanked using a defense build using Heroic items (purple 3-slot pieces from the Silver Champion Recognition vendors).

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Bluhman posted:

Thankfully it's a bit easier than it might initially seem. If you join the Rampagers channel (which is public) you'll be seeing all kinds of team requests that can form competent runs of F&I. Basically, never do a pug queue for a rampage.
I've barely logged in since I got all my justice gear, but the trend at the time seemed to be that people were retiring as they got geared up because they found F&I (and the RNG) frustrating and were only forcing themselves through it for the tokens. It was getting harder and harder to find a full group on that channel other than during certain hours of the day. This trend has abated somewhat, I assume...?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I believe so, especially after the specifics were gotten down:

• Frosticus hits much harder than Kenina. The hardier of the two tanks should be assigned to Frosticus.
  • All DPS players should stay as far away as possible from the tanks. If they maintain their distance, they're basically at no risk of dying until much later.
  • Set up macros. Stuff like "/bind numpad1 local "I'm held!" " to warn people of your status. This way you won't get shut down instantly by Kenina's ring of fire, or Frosticus' ice pillar.
  • Most importantly, ensure that the two die around the same time. Most pugs or poorly-planned out teams fail simply because the remaining villain has too much time to constantly barrage you with AoEs.

EDIT: Funnily enough, though, I do find that the Rampagers channel is the most active when Fire and Ice is up, followed by Sky Command, then by Gravitar and Lemurian Invasion. Tied, as ones team requirements isn't strict (one healer and a bunch of semi-hardy DPS does the trick) and the other is literally unfailable.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 4, 2014

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Is it even possible to do those as melee dps?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

HukHukHuk posted:

Is it even possible to do those as melee dps?

Which ones? Sky Command or Fire and Ice? Fire and Ice is definitely doable. You just have to know when to move into melee range.

Sky Command requires you to either defend the upper deck (Which will get swarmed by mid match, and will need that support.) or play the game like it's one of those old 3D Spiderman games. It's entirely possible to swing or leap around the map and drop your heaviest/knockback/knockdown attacks on mobs. Pretty sure the mobs will die if they hit the instant death zone at the bottom of the map too.

The areas with the engines are even built for standing on if you can reach them. Really good players (or players with a controller, since this game is amazingly easy to control with one) can leap down there and have mid air melee/kung fu battles with flying doombots. All you need is a pull or some way to get the ones that hover out of range closer. Alternatively, just pick up an UNTIL hoverdisc and beat the snot out of them while flying.

Edit: Note that it's really easy to do the Spiderman thing if you have a controller. Or if you just remove the MMO hotbar elements from the control scheme. Melee in particular benefits from changing the control scheme. A few quick toggles being changed means that the game turns into an action based brawler that doesn't require you to specifically have a target to attack and always fires your energy builder when an enemy is in range.

Just to rattle off a few things you can do with the control options, you can disable automatic selection of targets for easier target acquisition, turn on auto attack for your energy builder so that it never turns off until you toggle it back off, make it so that attacks fire without a target, choose how the aforementioned attacks are targeted without a target (Middle of the screen, closest for those melee lovers, etc, etc), and basically turn it into an rear end kicking simulator by removing all of the tedious minutiae endemic to MMO combat.

Heck, if you want to play it as a shooter there's even a set of crosshairs and options you can set up for first person or third person shooter modes. I use it for a munitions character and it's pretty amazing. I even think some of the older gun models show up when playing from first person.

Why they didn't set that some of that as the default is beyond me. Presumably they were worried that making the game into a hilariously awesome brawler that built off of CoH's gameplay would have people enraged and sperging out on their forums. It's definitely one of the most expansive control schemes in any MMO though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 5, 2014

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

Oh, I should have been more clear, I was talking about Fire and Ice, my experiences as melee dps with gravitar were, go in, eventually pull aggro, eventually die, and repeat after being revived. I know with Sky Command, both of my melee characters have flight and self healing so its no big deal to just go ham.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

HukHukHuk posted:

Oh, I should have been more clear, I was talking about Fire and Ice, my experiences as melee dps with gravitar were, go in, eventually pull aggro, eventually die, and repeat after being revived. I know with Sky Command, both of my melee characters have flight and self healing so its no big deal to just go ham.

Well with Fire and Ice if you don't have a dedicated tank (and probably a dedicated healer) everyone is probably going to die. And it isn't like other rampages where you can just respawn and run back in. A force field goes up at the start of the fight to prevent respawns from re-entering, meaning you have to be revived by a player if you go down.

So grabbing aggro isn't really an issue. If the DPS is grabbing aggro in that one everyone is probably hosed. Plus, most of the tanks i've seen so far for it are melee too. So I can't imagine that it would be that bad for a melee DPS so long as you knew to avoid any AOE's they throw out.

That's why Bluhman was saying to not use the queue system for it. Since nine times out of ten even if you do get a tank he'll be crappy and won't know what to do.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 5, 2014

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

No joke, I've tanked Kenina using a melee DPS; WotW, moderate dodge, and about 7k health. Compared to Frosticus, her damage is pretty much nothing.

The big thing about F&I tanking though is that you are basically safe if you stay a decent distance away from the tanks (so long as they're reliably holding aggro). That's why a ranged tank helps.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I picked this game up with some friends as something to do while idling in Age of Wushu. I'm having too much fun making alts.

How would I go about getting something like the celestial protection aura for just the head?

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 7, 2014

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I think you can select to put the aura just on the head. check your aura slots

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Shalhavet posted:

I picked this game up with some friends as something to do while idling in Age of Wushu. I'm having too much fun making alts.

How would I go about getting something like the celestial protection aura for just the head?

The auras from the legacy vendor don't have any customization beyond color. Auras from the zen store generally come with a head, torso, hands and feet version.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Pesterchum posted:

The auras from the legacy vendor don't have any customization beyond color. Auras from the zen store generally come with a head, torso, hands and feet version.

Yeah, this. Legacy Auras are set in stone and cannot be altered beyond their color. In fact that's how auras work in general; any auras that occur around specific parts of the body are separate auras altogether from full effects.

If you want something similar, the general head-glow aura in the ZStore would probably be the best match. If you don't mind odd looking runes, a good free option would be Aura of Arcane Clarity.

If you want to size up all your legacy vendor options, just look at the vendor over time. They will cycle through all their options in alphabetical order.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
So this is kind of neat. An online storytelling/role-playing game wrapped up Kickstarter funding yesterday after reaching ten times its funding goal.

The last stretch goal they hit was to include the Champions universe, adding it to a bunch of other worlds, including Mutants and Masterminds and a couple from the creators of the HERO System.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Since the Champions IP is owned lock stock and barrel by Cryptic, that is indeed a stretch goal!

e: I'm not being terribly clear I guess - there is nothing at all on their Kickstarter page to indicate they have any permission or agreement with Cryptic to do this, and it seems really unlikely that it would be handled as a stretch goal if there is any kind of agreement.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 10, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Cryptic advertised it when they reached it, it's on the loader's news feed. They're totally on board.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well neat, good for them :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I played about a month of CO at launch and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was that two pistol build and I liked how kinetic the combat was... plus I'm a sucker for Barbie Dress Up and this game has the best character creator around. Anyway I was thinking of playing again for a bit. I could see the same thing happening again though - only playing for a month or so here and there. My question is what happens to a gold account when I drop down to silver? How does it choose which two of the characters to let you play as? What happens if you have a mixed archetype character when you stop paying the monthly fee? What happens if you start paying it again after some time?