Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I didn't mean to infer that Democrats are going to gallop to victory everywhere in the South, but coupled with the report from Mary Landrieu's campaign that she's going to defend Obamacare and use the lack of a Medicaid expansion to attack her Republican opponents is a sign to me that her polling doesn't think it's a losing issue. Mark Pryor was down by a fairly large amount to that Neanderthal idiot Cotton a few months ago, too. Outlier or no, good polls can help morale in campaigns, and if Obamacare continues to poll better then it will be easier to run on, especially as more and more people realize that it's law and yet the sky hasn't fallen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Obamacare is still a divisive issue so you can't go all-out in defending it yet. But I'd like to see some Senators and Congressmen in safer districts start to own it, and the ones in tighter fights do what Landreu is doing (if they are in an appropriate state): primarily fight over the Medicare gap and how hundreds of thousands of uninsured are entirely the Republicans' fault.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Well Cotton did go to Harvard College and Harvard Law School. And he's white unlike Obummer so no special treatment. But then who goes in the military after that? And not like JAG or anything, a loving infantry officer during the height of the war. That's a shitload of biglaw cash to turn down in exchange for going to Iraq.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Obamacare is still a divisive issue so you can't go all-out in defending it yet. But I'd like to see some Senators and Congressmen in safer districts start to own it, and the ones in tighter fights do what Landreu is doing (if they are in an appropriate state): primarily fight over the Medicare gap and how hundreds of thousands of uninsured are entirely the Republicans' fault.

It's a big change from last year when all the Dem's were like "Obamacare? Never heard of it."

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Amphion posted:

Well Cotton did go to Harvard College and Harvard Law School. And he's white unlike Obummer so no special treatment. But then who goes in the military after that? And not like JAG or anything, a loving infantry officer during the height of the war. That's a shitload of biglaw cash to turn down in exchange for going to Iraq.

It's almost like he always planned on running for office and knew that would look good on his campaign biography.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

IMJack posted:

Find a wedge to drive between the Catholics and Evangelicals while we're at it.

Already did, its the pope and/or indulgences.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

It means only taxing income up to $9k and ignoring anything over that so $9k and $90k are taxed the same but $8999 pays a little less than $9k. Same as federal brackets work only really loving stupid and regressive (which is Missouri's state motto, AFAICT)

So...it's basically a flat tax for everyone except minimum wage seasonal/part time workers?

...except it's not even a flat RATE tax, but in fact a flat AMOUNT tax? Holy poo poo....

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah this current pope is doing a great job of being a good Christian as opposed to an right-wing rear end in a top hat Christian.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Please. If it were that big of a deal, someone would run a public literature campaign against it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Justus posted:

So...it's basically a flat tax for everyone except minimum wage seasonal/part time workers?

...except it's not even a flat RATE tax, but in fact a flat AMOUNT tax? Holy poo poo....

Yeah, seasonal and part timers would be affected by it more.

Poor people really need to have more skin in the game, especially considering all of the Cadillacs they have.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phone posted:

Poor people really need to have more skin in the game, especially considering all of the Cadillacs they have.
Would you say that they are lucky duckies?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nessus posted:

Would you say that they are lucky duckies?

What do you call people who jive? Jivers?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Phone posted:

Yeah the republicans are right the poor just aren't motivated enough taxing them the same as the rich will give them that gumption to bootstrap themselves up the way their starving children never could.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chokes McGee posted:

Didn't they try this last time in the 60s? "We're not advocates for hate, we just want to preserve the culture of whites in America."

I don't know about the 60s klan, but during the 70s that is pretty much exactly the angle that David Duke took during his time as Grand Wizard.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amphion posted:

George W. Bush went to an Ivy too--didn't make him not a moron.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alter Ego posted:

George W. Bush went to an Ivy too.

Two of them, even!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Alter Ego posted:

George W. Bush went to an Ivy too--didn't make him not a moron.

But GWB wasn't a moron? I'm impressed by both the supporters of both side being able to chalk up the failure of the executive branch to being "dumb", whether it's Obama or Bush in office. The only morons are the ones believing the rhetoric and not looking at the actions.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

down with slavery posted:

But GWB wasn't a moron? I'm impressed by both the supporters of both side being able to chalk up the failure of the executive branch to being "dumb", whether it's Obama or Bush in office. The only morons are the ones believing the rhetoric and not looking at the actions.

But he committed the nation to wars, in accordance with the goals of his faction! He must be dumb :downs:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Can anyone explain to me what ActBlue is?

Libertarian friend of mine went off about how the Koch brothers only gave $20 million to campaigns in the 2012 election and that groups like ActBlue was way worse because they gave $100 million. I assume he was neglecting money the Koch's gave to PACs or any of their think tanks.

From looking at their website, ActBlue is just an online fundraising service for democrats. If I want to give money to a certain democratic candidate, I can look them up on ActBlue and send them money. ActBlue doesn't decide which candidates get the money and I think ActBlue has to be asked to set up a candidates fundraising page. It looks like my friend is comparing the total money of people using ActBlue to donate to their preferred candidates to the Koch's campaign spending.

Is this correct?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Deadulus posted:

Libertarian friend of mine went off about how the Koch brothers only gave $20 million to campaigns in the 2012 election and that groups like ActBlue was way worse because they gave $100 million. I assume he was neglecting money the Koch's gave to PACs or any of their think tanks.

From looking at their website, ActBlue is just an online fundraising service for democrats. If I want to give money to a certain democratic candidate, I can look them up on ActBlue and send them money. ActBlue doesn't decide which candidates get the money and I think ActBlue has to be asked to set up a candidates fundraising page. It looks like my friend is comparing the total money of people using ActBlue to donate to their preferred candidates to the Koch's campaign spending.

Is this correct?
Seems to be, yeah.

Also, ask him if he's implicitly saying giving - and therefore speech - is bad? How is that libertarian? :smaug:

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Deadulus posted:

Is this correct?

You got it. Online bundling service. You can give to the DNC and its associated congressional arms through it too. He's comparing Charles Koch's political spending to the spending of hundreds of thousands of people. Act Blue handles your money and ostensibly verifies that you're allowed to give the money you're trying to, then passes it along. It's just an online bundling service.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Googling around it looks like this is where he got his information.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/02/evil_koch_brothers_just_59th_on_top_political_donation_list.html

How accurate is this?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Deadulus posted:

Is this correct?

IIRC the last time I donated through ActBlue there was a thing at the end about kicking in an extra $5(3?) to keep their lights on or something. I think they operate as a nonprofit and eat the transaction fees on the donations, but I could be wrong about both of those things.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SedanChair posted:

But he committed the nation to wars, in accordance with the goals of his faction! He must be dumb :downs:

Bush was a dumb, selfish, otherwise relatively harmless frat boy--the kind of guy who would be cool to talk to at a barbecue as long as you kept the conversation to sports and the weather. The evil bastards around him--Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Rice--were the architects behind Iraq and every other disastrous foreign policy decision during the Bush years.

I say he was dumb because when I judge whether a person is smart, I look for a curious mind--and no accounts of Bush at ANY point during his Presidency indicated that the job of President really interested him all that much. Hell, he told a reporter that his greatest triumph as President was catching a really big fish.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 23, 2014

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Deadulus posted:

Googling around it looks like this is where he got his information.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/02/evil_koch_brothers_just_59th_on_top_political_donation_list.html

How accurate is this?

They're getting their data from Opensecrets.com, meaning yes that's true. But some of those donors (looking at you, Wall St.) give to both parties. And as I said, ActBlue is a small donor bundling service, not an interest group. Again, even Goldman's spending represents more than 2 people. They're comparing two people to groups of varying size to make them look insignificant when they aren't.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

oldswitcheroo posted:

You got it. Online bundling service. You can give to the DNC and its associated congressional arms through it too. He's comparing Charles Koch's political spending to the spending of hundreds of thousands of people. Act Blue handles your money and ostensibly verifies that you're allowed to give the money you're trying to, then passes it along. It's just an online bundling service.

Yeah but the Koch's are Captains of Industry so they clearly deserve more freedom of speech points than hundreds of thousands of people.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SedanChair posted:

It wasn't the going to war that had people questioning Bush's intelligence--- after all, the United States won the war against Saddam Hussein in a matter of months. It was the administration's handling of the occupation that had people up in arms, and the bungling that occurred then. Metaphorically speaking, and literally speaking in Iraq.

And yeah, like mentioned a few posts up, the real architects of US foreign policy during the Bush years were his handlers, not Bush himself.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah but the Koch's are Captains of Industry so they clearly deserve more freedom of speech points than hundreds of thousands of people.

If that's the point a conservative wants to make then let them make it, but it's wrong for them to pretend that large groups of people spending more than lone wolf billionaires means that the billionaires are actually the small donors.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Speaking of Dubya, is Oliver Stone's W. Movie worth watching at all, or should I stay far, far away from it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

oldswitcheroo posted:

They're getting their data from Opensecrets.com, meaning yes that's true. But some of those donors (looking at you, Wall St.) give to both parties. And as I said, ActBlue is a small donor bundling service, not an interest group. Again, even Goldman's spending represents more than 2 people. They're comparing two people to groups of varying size to make them look insignificant when they aren't.
Also, those cited figures appear to be from 1989 to 2014. I would be curious to know what proportion the Koch spending was in, say, the period from 2008 to the present...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

cbservo posted:

Speaking of Dubya, is Oliver Stone's W. Movie worth watching at all, or should I stay far, far away from it?

I thought it was pretty good. It casts Dubya in a more sympathetic light, though--as a son spending his life desperately seeking his father's approval.

Plus, James Cromwell is awesome as HW Bush.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guns! Guns everywhere! Guns in schools! Guns in bars!! Guns in churches!!!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Alter Ego posted:

I say he was dumb because when I judge whether a person is smart, I look for a curious mind--and no accounts of Bush at ANY point during his Presidency indicated that the job of President really interested him all that much. Hell, he told a reporter that his greatest triumph as President was catching a really big fish.

Yeah I don't know what to tell you, if you really believe this I've got some oceanfront real estate to sell you. It's just incredibly naive to believe well-educated men who have made it to the top of the political heap in America are in any way "dumb". Sorry their ideology isn't in line with yours and the way that they choose to get votes doesn't appeal to you, but that doesn't really make them dumb.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

cbservo posted:

It's OK. Not Stone's best work by any stretch. Dubya's presidency deserves a much more ruthless treatment, IMO.

Does anyone here believe that if today's GOP were to somehow win control of the Senate, House and WH they would ever relinquish control? Call me crazy, but I can't see them, once having control, ever handing it over to who they see as the "enemies of America". I doubt they will win all three in the near future, at least, but it freaks me out that it seems plausible that they would try to seize permanent control of the gov't and start a big shitstorm. Am I nuts?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Yes, that's kinda nuts.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

down with slavery posted:

Yeah I don't know what to tell you, if you really believe this I've got some oceanfront real estate to sell you. It's just incredibly naive to believe well-educated men who have made it to the top of the political heap in America are in any way "dumb". Sorry their ideology isn't in line with yours and the way that they choose to get votes doesn't appeal to you, but that doesn't really make them dumb.

I don't really know why you think it's a stretch to say that George W. Bush isn't in possession of a naturally curious mind. Did you sleep through the Bush years or something? If a Democratic President spent 8 years mangling the English language, letting his subordinates destroy our international reputation, and botched a natural disaster as bad as Bush did, he'd be dumb too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

"I don't give a poo poo if two guys, two gals, guy-gal, whatever it is, I believe that any human being in America, or any human being in the goddamn world, that wants to be married, and if it's same-sex, more power to 'em."
"What also chaps my rear end, some of these churches, have the high horse that they get on and say 'we as a church do not believe in that.' Which one of these motherfuckers talked to God, and God said that same-sex marriage was a no-can-do?"
"OK, so two cats can't get married if they want to get married, but then a guy can go murder 14 people, molest five kids, then go to loving prison, and accept God and He's going to let him into heaven? After the fact that he did all that poo poo? See that's all horseshit to me, that don't jive with me."

And that's the bottom line because Stone Cold says so.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

beatlegs posted:

Call me crazy, but I can't see them, once having control, ever handing it over to who they see as the "enemies of America".

Stop. eating. the. rhetoric. It's a game they play to drum up their base, nothing more and nothing less.

Alter Ego posted:

I don't really know why you think it's a stretch to say that George W. Bush isn't in possession of a naturally curious mind. Did you sleep through the Bush years or something?

"isn't in possession of a naturally curious mind" are rarely the words used to describe GWB, but I hear "dumb" and "moron" a lot, kind of like how I hear that Obama was a "bad negotiator" despite you know, being a senator, successful politician, lawyer, etc.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

They're still not allowed in the statehouse! v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

And that's the bottom line because Stone Cold says so.

While Stone Cold is awesome in this his, co-host I guess, is pretty dumb.

"Government can't tell me how many dogs I can own!" :smugdog:

• Locked thread