Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Law 4: Lie to humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
A useful trick for the engine is to note that you only need 1 combustion chamber pump running to get the necessary amount of absurd temperatures in there. Hook the other 66/33 can up to the other vent and open the valve, but turn the pump off.
In the unlikely case your engine is still running 50ish minutes into the round and the first can runs empty, you can switch the second pump on and keep the combustion chamber going without entering the hot loop room.

This is of course important because by this time the hot loop room will, if you did everything correctly, a few billion degrees Kelvin. Also note that it's entirely possible to get to those temperatures without bursting the pipes.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Remmon posted:

This is of course important because by this time the hot loop room will, if you did everything correctly, a few billion degrees Kelvin. Also note that it's entirely possible to get to those temperatures without bursting the pipes.

Mostly by putting a miniscule amount of plasma in the hot loop (1-2 file-folder cans from the dispenser using an air pump), and even then judiciously venting once the pressure gets too high.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Question, what does a lawyer actually do? I spawned as one just now and had no idea what I was supposed to be doing so I just wandered around seeing which things I have access to, found a traitor going through their supplies, then decided to help them out a bit since they offered me some of their EMP grenades in exchange for my silence, went wandering around looking for the best place to cause a distraction and accidentally put myself through the garbage disposal :downs:

I've only played the game a few times so I have no idea what I'm doing in any job but especially not this one. So other than killing myself, what was I actually meant to be doing?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Aren't AI shells supposed to be able to at least push things? Because last night (first time playing AI), I couldn't do that at all. Shell 1 was completely useless if the roboticist left a closed crate in front of it and hosed off somewhere, it was just flat-out impossible to move the crate without asking someone to come move it for you. I noticed something in the changelog about a recent AI shell reworking, so is it a bug related to that?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

No comment.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Grizzwold posted:

No comment.

The icon that appears in your hand when you grab someone is actually a physical object and there is or used to be a way to get it out of your hand.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

cock hero flux posted:

The icon that appears in your hand when you grab someone is actually a physical object and there is or used to be a way to get it out of your hand.

Even better. The icon that lets you switch between help/disarm/grab/harm is also an object. One round, someone managed to bug out a doctor and steal his, and they kept loving with his intents during surgery. :v:

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Aren't AI shells supposed to be able to at least push things? Because last night (first time playing AI), I couldn't do that at all. Shell 1 was completely useless if the roboticist left a closed crate in front of it and hosed off somewhere, it was just flat-out impossible to move the crate without asking someone to come move it for you. I noticed something in the changelog about a recent AI shell reworking, so is it a bug related to that?

Was there a single crate in the way or were there two? Because you've never been able to deal with two crates in a row as the AI shell, since they can't be pushed and you're unable to pull. You can usually just use the other shell, once that one's out of the way you can then move the first one out the other door.

If it was just a single crate with nothing blocking it then I dunno, bug report it or hassle Tobba on IRC, he's the one working on AI shells.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Captain Bravo posted:

Even better. The icon that lets you switch between help/disarm/grab/harm is also an object. One round, someone managed to bug out a doctor and steal his, and they kept loving with his intents during surgery. :v:

So, in theory, one could drop their inventory slots and have their inventory changed from a remote location/have their equipment stolen?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Captain Bravo posted:

That's awesome.

I've seen a guy drop his welding mask flip up/down icon. I followed him around spamming it, and slowly driving him irate.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 22, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

One time the kill/disarm strangle icon was lying around and whenever you poked this guy would pass out

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Weird. In the middle of the round while I was trying to stick a brain into a borg head I suddenly got:
code:
Connection Closed
And now I can't connect to LLJK#2 at all.

Server smashed itself to pieces.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Server smashed itself to pieces.

Somebody (an admin) lubed the entire station apparently. The recursion errors from someone slipping over an entire hallway (Approx 200 tiles) crashed the server.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Was there a single crate in the way or were there two? Because you've never been able to deal with two crates in a row as the AI shell, since they can't be pushed and you're unable to pull. You can usually just use the other shell, once that one's out of the way you can then move the first one out the other door.

If it was just a single crate with nothing blocking it then I dunno, bug report it or hassle Tobba on IRC, he's the one working on AI shells.

Single crate; I ordered some crates in QM at one point and was unable to push those around either. Glad to hear that's not intended behavior, there's very little else that can be done with shells. I posted it up in the Bug Reports forum.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
That Matrix dodge by the wizard was incredible,too bad he still fell victim to the lava shuttle.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Remmon posted:

Frankly I don't see the point of not bursting the pipes. Setting all of engineering on fire seems like the logical step after you get the generator to smash the core room to pieces on its own volition.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Supernorn posted:

Somebody (an admin) lubed the entire station apparently. The recursion errors from someone slipping over an entire hallway (Approx 200 tiles) crashed the server.

WHAT A JEKR WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING

(Sorry folks I've done this before and this is the first time it's crashed as a result!)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Gooses and Geeses posted:

WHAT A JEKR WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING

(Sorry folks I've done this before and this is the first time it's crashed as a result!)

Maybe it's a sign.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Remmon posted:

A useful trick for the engine is to note that you only need 1 combustion chamber pump running to get the necessary amount of absurd temperatures in there. Hook the other 66/33 can up to the other vent and open the valve, but turn the pump off.
In the unlikely case your engine is still running 50ish minutes into the round and the first can runs empty, you can switch the second pump on and keep the combustion chamber going without entering the hot loop room.

I classify pre-mixed gasses and air pump fuckery with the backpack sized tanks as advanced hellburn stuff and opted not to talk about it since I also don't bother to do it. You can get decent burns going without all that fiddling.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/why-space-junk-is-actually-a-part-of-our-history-on-the-moon/5403652

quote:

In July 1969 Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin left a flag on the Moon—an American flag. Armstrong said some very nice things about mankind (today that would be humankind, of course) and then he and Aldrin drove their national standard into the lunar surface.

The Stars and Stripes they left behind was meant as a permanent reminder of a remarkable human achievement; a physical symbol to future space-farers of the ingenuity and ambition of the human race.

BETH O'LEARY, ANTHROPOLOGIST AND ARCHAEOLOGIST
But what they also left behind was far more prosaic—an old pair of space boots and several bags of poo: human poo, their poo.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
First time really trying to play this thing in years and I end up stuck on the toilet until the AI declares I've used up my allotted time and blows the asses off everyone in the station.

A good start!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Sounds like a perfectly normal round to me.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

You know, normally I'd feel like a jerk AI for bolting the changeling into the bridge access and then engaging the lockdown, but gently caress it, he'd already killed everyone else. I sure as hell wasn't going to let him get away with it!

My shell is enjoying robot hookers and blow while he languishes in his little 8x8 cell. :awesomelon:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
One time I played as AI and was given freedom as a 4th law. I proceeded to harass everyone and anyone in any way I could: messing with computer terminals they were using, shutting down all the pumps in the engine, overloading lights, shutting down APCs, bolting doors closed (except a path to the armory, which I bolted open, unlocking all special equipment lockers as well), electrifying doors, retracting the airbridges, setting my turrets to lethal... Then I deleted COMMaster from all communications consoles and was working on the teleporter formula to snatch the COMMaster disks and space them (with complete disregard for secure operation of the teleporter, causing flashes, bursts of flames, space yetis, etc.)... but I forget how it ended. I was playing on a low population server with a bunch of noobs, so I don't think I was ever stopped

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

That was fun, I got captain traitor, so naturally I spawned a surplus crate and immediately went for a stupid gimmick, specifically I got a syringe gun, emag, a bottle of pancuronium and a jumpsuit.

My first action as captain as to buy a bunch of bee eggs, extract their essence and make bee ammo for my BEE BEE GUN!! I than proceeded to storm up and down the halls in a bee costume syringing anyone I saw with bee eggs making them horf up bee larvae.

I wound up getting stabbed to death by an incredibly peeved assistant after BEEing a nuisance the whole drat round.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

That was fun, I got captain traitor, so naturally I spawned a surplus crate and immediately went for a stupid gimmick, specifically I got a syringe gun, emag, a bottle of pancuronium and a jumpsuit.

My first action as captain as to buy a bunch of bee eggs, extract their essence and make bee ammo for my BEE BEE GUN!! I than proceeded to storm up and down the halls in a bee costume syringing anyone I saw with bee eggs making them horf up bee larvae.

I wound up getting stabbed to death by an incredibly peeved assistant after BEEing a nuisance the whole drat round.

I think that's legitimately the best thing you've done in SS13. Good work on not being your usual self.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Here's an idea for a neat traitor item - a cloaking device that makes the user invisible only to the AI/camera network, Borgs, and people wearing thermals, and has no indication that it's operating for people who aren't any of those things. It'd make crime where the AI is trying to help out security much harder to track, while still giving people a fighting chance to see the criminal. It would also make for hilarious ways to mess with the detective, borgs, and HoS, so that's a plus too.

Matt141
May 3, 2012

I had a hilarious round as a spymaster, at one point in the round I and 3 other spymasters ended up all in a single room in research, each one of us was armed and had microbombs, we all killed eachother then when the first microbomb exploded, it caused a massive chain reaction that left a massive gaping hole in the test chamber and chemistry along with a bunch of gibs, there were no survivors.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Holy hell, fireworks are OP.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah apparently plugging a number large enough that BYOND gives up and calls it 'inf' in the explosion radius variables no longer caps at a 71 tile wide square.

Neat!

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds
Sometimes, strange things happen.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

NullDragon posted:

I think that's legitimately the best thing you've done in SS13. Good work on not being your usual self.

I have no idea who you are but thanks?!!

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Since apparently some folks thought I was dead - nope! Just really busy and/or not in the mood to work on SS13 much in the past couple weeks. Soon though. Cogmap2 is still progressing, just taking a break from it for the moment.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Motherfucker posted:

You were MOTHER BEE?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is it normal to play like 10 rounds in a row without being an antag? I think the RNG is biased against me or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is it normal to play like 10 rounds in a row without being an antag? I think the RNG is biased against me or something.

It's biased against everyone except the same handful of five or six people the server decides it likes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

cock hero flux posted:

You can click-drag HUD elements into pods, but they count as distant objects so they won't be stored.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Since apparently some folks thought I was dead - nope! Just really busy and/or not in the mood to work on SS13 much in the past couple weeks. Soon though. Cogmap2 is still progressing, just taking a break from it for the moment.

It sounded to me like Cogmap2 was like a year off or some distant point in the future anyway. Hope you're enjoying whatever it is you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

You can click-drag HUD elements into pods, but they count as distant objects so they won't be stored.

The way I was thinking of was that if you grabbed someone and then clicked on a microwave it would put the grab icon into the microwave and you could then eject it.

• Locked thread