Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Spaced God posted:

I've played the gently caress out of BNW and GK in singleplayer. Is there an active goon multiplay community? The extent of multiplayer I played was with my ex-kind-of-girlfriend, with whom I rarely associate anymore

We regularly organize long multiplayer games in the Civilization V thread, you should join the next one. It's a couple sessions a week for a few weeks, but you can arrange a substitute if you can't make it to all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

mdh1975 posted:

I'm looking for other pc games like Leviathan: Warships and Gratuitous Space Battles where ship or base building can get pretty involved. Genre doesn't really matter.

While it doesn't let you straight up build unique hulls from the ground up, Starsector will eventually have base building and you can mod out your ships to quite a large degree with various hull upgrades and lots of weaponry options. The combat system is pretty good too. There's also Battleships Forever if you really want to build *exactly* what you want.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Rorac posted:

While it doesn't let you straight up build unique hulls from the ground up, Starsector will eventually have base building and you can mod out your ships to quite a large degree with various hull upgrades and lots of weaponry options. The combat system is pretty good too. There's also Battleships Forever if you really want to build *exactly* what you want.

On a similar note there's also Fraxy where in you design boss ships which you can fight. There's also a bunch of boss packs you can download if you just want to fight what other people have made.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Are there ANY games at all like Anno 1404: The Guild?

Preferably The Guild 1 and not The Guild 2, which added a bunch of bad things.

Christ I love everything about the idea of that game and nobody will make a proper one that has slick presentation and isn't bugged to hell.
I have no suggestions, but the title is Europa 1400: The Guild, not Anno 1404 (different game).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

mdh1975 posted:

I'm looking for other pc games like Leviathan: Warships and Gratuitous Space Battles where ship or base building can get pretty involved. Genre doesn't really matter.

Sword of the Stars is a very well done space 4x with fully customizable ships. It has a strategic turn based map that transitions to real time tactical 2d battles when your fleets battle. There are 3 sizes of ship and 3 sections on each ship, bridge, hull, and engine. Each section has a bunch of alternatives to choose from. Each section itself lets you customize each weapon hard point as well. Make sure you get SotS 1, not 2, which is terrible.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

kissekatt posted:

I have no suggestions, but the title is Europa 1400: The Guild, not Anno 1404 (different game).

Yeah, I had a brain fart, Anno is one of my dear favorites. But it is Europa.

I'm going to reinstall and take it for a spin, even though it's barely playable.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You probably already have it, but have you played Crusader Kings 2? It's a very similar focus to the Guild, where you're playing a family dynasty as they try to gain power and prestige in crusades era Europe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spaced God posted:

Of all my games that I haven't played what do you recommend I play?
Very vague, but I'm hankering for a new experience.

Broken Sword is a very good point and click adventure.

Thomas Was Alone can be beaten in one sitting and has some of the best video game writing in recent memory. It's also fun and charming as hell.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Are there other games like Long live the Queen game found on steam? It's basically a "choose your own adventure" video game version with lots of skills and skill checks. Where I can find other games like that?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Magical Diary: Horse Hall from the same developer is probably your best bet, and that's on Steam as well.

Princess Maker 2 is the game Long Live the Queen was most inspired by, and while it is actually very good, it is also creepy as hell.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003

mdh1975 posted:

Well, you may like my game. StarDrive has some serious shipbuilding. Working on a sequel these days too. Game was a bit controversial when it came out due to some personal blunders, but it's in top shape today and you will very likely enjoy the ship building quite a bit.

http://stardrivegame.com/

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Which Dungeon Keeper game is the right one to play? I think I've heard there is a great one and a mediocre one, and I can't remember which was which.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Which Dungeon Keeper game is the right one to play? I think I've heard there is a great one and a mediocre one, and I can't remember which was which.

The Mobile version for iOS and Android.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Rollersnake posted:

Magical Diary: Horse Hall from the same developer is probably your best bet, and that's on Steam as well.

Princess Maker 2 is the game Long Live the Queen was most inspired by, and while it is actually very good, it is also creepy as hell.

The LP of Princess Maker 2 is one of my favorites. I'd honestly recommend just reading that instead of playing it. http://lparchive.org/Princess-Maker-2/

Cherry High Comedy Club is kind of like it, but more focus on comedy, less horrible death.

And second Magical Diary as probably your best bet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dungeon Keeper 2 is the one you want to play.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm not sure where else to ask but I was wondering if you could help me recall the name of a game I can't remember. It was for the Xbox 360 and was a MTG style card game but also involved a board game element, anyone have any ideas?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Culdcept Saga, most likely.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Cherry High Comedy Club is kind of like it, but more focus on comedy, less horrible death.

My God, how have I only heard of this game now?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leper Residue posted:

CTHCC is kind of.. I dunno. Being only able to use a given conversation topic on a person once ever is really dumb and just kinda tells me I should get every topic to max level before even bothering to talk to anyone. That's the impression it gives me, anyway, I'm sure it doesn't work out like that, but..

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dungeon Keeper 2 is the one you want to play.

This

CaptainPsyko posted:

The Mobile version for iOS and Android.

and not this. I wish I could find the video review of the mobile version of Dungeon Keeper a saw posted somewhere a few weeks ago, but it's microtransaction hell. Do not buy it unless you like neutered gameplay and pay to win games.

Or unless you want something you can play for five minutes at a time every few hours while you take a crap.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

DK1 is manically fast-paced and its battles end being largely "dump all your dudes here" without any real chance to affect the outcome aside from spamming the heal spell. That said, I find the art direction much more creative and charming than its successor. And if you care, its roster of creatures is much greater.

DK2 streamlined a few things (you can carry more than 8 creatures, you can drag-build rooms, etc) and significantly slowed down the gameplay, but I think it lost some of 1990s quirkiness in the process.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

kirbysuperstar posted:

CTHCC is kind of.. I dunno. Being only able to use a given conversation topic on a person once ever is really dumb and just kinda tells me I should get every topic to max level before even bothering to talk to anyone. That's the impression it gives me, anyway, I'm sure it doesn't work out like that, but..
It's also not funny in the least, which in a way is pretty realistic given that the protagonist is a teenager who is a self-styled comedian.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Are there any good turn-based Western RPGs out there for PC, PS3, or 3DS?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there other games like Long live the Queen game found on steam? It's basically a "choose your own adventure" video game version with lots of skills and skill checks. Where I can find other games like that?

Like everyone said, Magical Diary is from the same writer/creator, but Princess Maker 2 and the rest of the series (good luck finding them in English) are closer to the concept that I think you're looking for (Magical Diary being more of a visual novel) with stats.

spasticColon posted:

Have you tried Expeditions: Conquistador? Be warned, it can get pretty hard though.

EDIT: Tags.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Academagia is pretty much it, you play not Harry Potter and go through your first year of magic school. It lacks an overarching plot, but there are plenty of events and some multi-part adventures. There is an LP of it in the Archive, if you want to take a look.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

spasticColon posted:

Are tactical-RPGs or strategy-RPGs your thing?

If so, X-Com and Age of Wonders 3 on PC are both really fantastic.

There's also a turn based Ghost Recon game on 3DS which is pretty good, and you can get it super cheap now.

If you want like a pure RPG final fantasy type game but from the West, nothing's ringing any bells. We tend to do action RPGs or tactical RPGs or FPSRPGs instead on this side of the ocean.

CommissarMega posted:

Have you tried Expeditions: Conquistador? Be warned, it can get pretty hard though.

That game sucks, honestly. :colbert: I say this as a serious HOMM fan. Age of Wonders 3 is like 10,000% better.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Thanks for the replies but I played the Ghost Recon game for 3DS already but that came across as more of a turn-based strategy game to me.

Strategy RPGs are good as long as there are RPG gameplay elements with turn-based combat. Age of Wonders 3 looks very interesting but there isn't a demo so I'll just wait for it to go on sale on Steam.

Honestly I'm just getting burned out on first person shooters and Action RPGs and I now want to play something different and play it at my own pace.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If you like Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Wonders 3 really is a must buy. It's so close to perfecting the genre.

There's also the King's Bounty series (just get Armored Princess + Crossworlds which is an addon for it) that are basically HOMM without the empire management aspects. You just have your one hero and his/her party of units at a time.

Eador: Masters of the Broken World is an incredibly deep game (with an equally complex UI, unfortunately) that you might also like.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Man I'm really in the mood for a new, good 4x game. Is Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion any decent? I enjoyed the previous games. I'd like something that's more focused on actual empire building, with infrastructure and good combat with maybe some politics thrown in (the more the better). I checked out Stardrive but I'm hesitant to buy anything without playing a demo first. I didn't like Space Rangers HD either - too...cartoony. I'd like something more serious. Basically what I want is an updated Alpha Centauri but that's not going to happen until the new Civilization comes out and even then it probably won't be what I'm expecting it to be.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Mokinokaro posted:

the King's Bounty series (just get Armored Princess + Crossworlds which is an addon for it)
Only get Crossworlds, it's basically AP + some new content and you don't need AP to play it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

HonorableTB posted:

I checked out Stardrive but I'm hesitant to buy anything without playing a demo first.

That's wise. Dipes essentially took the money and ran after releasing a crashy beta that got a 61 on metacritic. There's a reason we don't have a thread for the game any more.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Man I'm really in the mood for a new, good 4x game. Is Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion any decent? I enjoyed the previous games. I'd like something that's more focused on actual empire building, with infrastructure and good combat with maybe some politics thrown in (the more the better). I checked out Stardrive but I'm hesitant to buy anything without playing a demo first. I didn't like Space Rangers HD either - too...cartoony. I'd like something more serious. Basically what I want is an updated Alpha Centauri but that's not going to happen until the new Civilization comes out and even then it probably won't be what I'm expecting it to be.

Sins is almost a 4x, but plays as an RTS. There's a couple 4x games I recommend:

1) Sword of the Stars: turn based strategy, real time 2d combat, extreme spaceship customization, good research, little planet management, on Steam for like $20 usually

2) Distant Worlds: real time with pause, zoom in/out from galaxy to system, 2d combat, extreme spaceship customization, good research, good planet management, slick colonization interface, the best AI/automated management I've ever seen, but really loving expensive--$100+ to get caught up on game plus expansions

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

2) Distant Worlds: real time with pause, zoom in/out from galaxy to system, 2d combat, extreme spaceship customization, good research, good planet management, slick colonization interface, the best AI/automated management I've ever seen, but really loving expensive--$100+ to get caught up on game plus expansions
Seconding this. The price point sucks, but I think my purchase as a poor grad student that almost never pays more than $5 on games was well worth it. Distant Worlds is fantastic and pretty much exactly what I've been looking for in a 4X all these years.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Where can I buy Distant Worlds? And does it have a demo, or some LPs?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Where can I buy Distant Worlds? And does it have a demo, or some LPs?
Buy here it appears: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds

(I'm also considering this and any good LPs would be nice)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

TheDK posted:

Buy here it appears: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds

(I'm also considering this and any good LPs would be nice)

There's a fantastic LP by Gray Hunter. I'll see if I can find it.

edit: http://lparchive.org/Distant-Worlds-Legends/ enjoy the ending :ssh:

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I'm looking for an RPG where you are essentially put in the world with little or no direction and are left to explore. I've played Morrowind to death, found Oblivion and Skyrim incredibly boring, and have tried to no avail to get into Arena and Daggerfall. I've considered the older Might and Magic and Wizardry games, but I'm afraid the combat would be too old or clunky for me to get into. Anyone got any suggestions?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pengu! posted:

I'm looking for an RPG where you are essentially put in the world with little or no direction and are left to explore. I've played Morrowind to death, found Oblivion and Skyrim incredibly boring, and have tried to no avail to get into Arena and Daggerfall. I've considered the older Might and Magic and Wizardry games, but I'm afraid the combat would be too old or clunky for me to get into. Anyone got any suggestions?

Wizardry 7 and 8 are not really clunky at all, in fact 7 has one of the most fun turn-based western RPG combat systems I can think of. The magic system is especially cool with a risk/reward system. It's also not super obtuse as far as figuring out where you need to go/what you need to ultimately do.

Also, obligatory Fallout 2 recommendation.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hooooly poo poo Distant Worlds is loving dense. It's going to take me a while to learn this game, but the good news is that you can automate every piece of the game and de-automate them as you get more comfortable with the game's mechanics. I'm looking forward to delving headfirst into this game - I think I'll really enjoy the empire mechanics themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

precision posted:

Wizardry 7 and 8 are not really clunky at all, in fact 7 has one of the most fun turn-based western RPG combat systems I can think of. The magic system is especially cool with a risk/reward system. It's also not super obtuse as far as figuring out where you need to go/what you need to ultimately do.

Also, obligatory Fallout 2 recommendation.

I've actually gotten about halfway through Fallout 2, but quit due to a bug I encountered. I suppose this is as good a time as any to pick it up again.

I looked up Wizardry 7 and 8 on GOG, and they look really interesting! Just a quick question, what is the combat like? Should I expect something closer to Legend of Grimrock, or Shin Megami Tensei?