Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He's seriously going to break someone's neck doing that stupid top rope legdrop thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DeathChicken posted:

He's seriously going to break someone's neck doing that stupid top rope legdrop thing.

Well he's bee doing it since 05 or 06 and not hurt anyone yet. In fact the only person to get hurt from that was him taking the Powerbomb counter from Batista

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Onmi posted:

Well he's bee doing it since 05 or 06 and not hurt anyone yet. In fact the only person to get hurt from that was him taking the Powerbomb counter from Batista

I think that is the spot where Rock got hurt.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Daniel Bryan posted:

Well, he then went backstage and screamed at HHH. People thought at the time it was going to be an angle, but it turned out to be nothing.

Which is great luck. But anyone saying it was ODD to stop that match (as I was responding to) is blatantly wrong. Bryan looked really messed up and not in the great-at-selling way. It was good that he wasn't, and better that he yelled at HHH about it, yet it was a fine call to legitimately end the match if you were watching it live. You could almost see cartoon stars circling his head.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, at least that's what T3d had said in interviews (I seem to recall the one from the Art of Wrestling podcast). Records of it were kept and all, with instructions that if he'd abused it he'd lose it. They even went further: he always flew first class, rode in limos, etc. It really help foster envy and heat within the locker room and his extravagant displays of wealth (buying everybody's meal at restaurant, etc) really helped get him over via word of mouth and in newspapers - basically social media before what we'd know it to be today.

I seem to recall him saying that he'd be a nice guy when he thought he could get away with it (I believe the kid in that infamous basketball promo got the money anyway), but for a good long stretch there he lived his gimmick.

I was a couple years older than that kid at the time and when DiBiase kicked that basketball on the 14th bounce, I hated his guts. :argh: So yeah, it absolutely succeeded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoQ2b3k8Uo
I've told this story before, but I was a sample of how DiBiase really was, even though I didn't know it at the time.

When I was 6 my parents took me to a show at Boston Garden a few months after WM V. As a kid I had a huge anxiety problem so I had a huge aversion to loud noise. So when Hogan's music hit for the main even and the place went loving banana I lost my poo poo and my parents had to take my out of the crowd to console me.

We end up in some hallway in the depths of the Garden while I'm still bawling and the loving Million Dollar Man comes out of a nearby bathroom, still in his tights. My dad sees him and apparently gets a "Holy gently caress" look on his face. DiBiase points at me and mouths "Is he ok?" to my father, who nods. Ted gives him a thumbs up and slips back into the bathroom so I don't see him once I calm down. So basically he broke kayfabe in the height of it to check on a panicked little boy and was willing to hide in the bathroom for God knows how long so I didn't see him and get upset at the bad guy being near him.

Dad told me this years later and I was pissed because I was a little smark gently caress and LOVED the Million Dollar Man as a kid. He was the only heel I liked.

As an aside I calmed down and we watched the poo poo Hogan/Savage shmaz finish and my mom went to the bathroom back where we were before since she knew where it wa.s She walks out rushing to get back and walks face first into Jake the Snake's chest. So my parents got all the luck and I got poo poo cause I was a whiny bitchy baby.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
I finished watching The Great American Bash 07 earlier today and Cena vs Lashley was really good. Seems like the guy was on fire in 07.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Huh, apparently the Million Dollar Man was a Vince project all the way. Pat Patterson told him that the whole gimmick is what Vince came up for himself for if he was a wrestler instead of the owner of the company. Makes sense that he'd literally throw money at Ted if that's the case. It also makes total sense that way now that you look at it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

stupid? guillotine leg drops own

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

stupid? guillotine leg drops own

I agree but Cena's diving fameasser usually looks pretty bad

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah it kinda does

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Huh, apparently the Million Dollar Man was a Vince project all the way. Pat Patterson told him that the whole gimmick is what Vince came up for himself for if he was a wrestler instead of the owner of the company. Makes sense that he'd literally throw money at Ted if that's the case. It also makes total sense that way now that you look at it.

With all the Million Dollar Man love, I should mention that his WWE Autobiography has tons of stories about the character, Ted trying to keep kayfabe, and is barely mentions any of the religious themes I expected to dominate it. It's one of the better wrestler biographies.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Can someone post a link to the DB stinger?

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I watched the '93 Royal Rumble not too long ago and he really was good at his peak- the alcoholism derailed a very promising career.

Cornette said of Scott Hall that "he's a good wrestler but good's about it" which I always thought was a perfect way of summing it up. In the same interview he also recounts the Seven Moves Of Kevin Nash (which he had to research in order to teach 'em to Kane in 1996), which includes "flicking the hair". Six wrestling moves and a gesture.

I love Jim Cornette.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

magnum_valentino posted:

Cornette said of Scott Hall that "he's a good wrestler but good's about it" which I always thought was a perfect way of summing it up. In the same interview he also recounts the Seven Moves Of Kevin Nash (which he had to research in order to teach 'em to Kane in 1996), which includes "flicking the hair". Six wrestling moves and a gesture.

I love Jim Cornette.

I loved him until I heard about all the poo poo he pulled in RoH. That was just loving stupid. He just wants to shove his vision of wrestling down everyone's throats, same as Vince & everything seems to be personal with Jim. Colt Cabana said he once asked him how a match he had could've been better & Jim's response was "if you weren't in it." This was one of the most over people in the company at the time & he just didn't want to use him. Same with Steen. He let's his emotions take precedence over his job & it makes him look like a pathetic manbaby.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 23, 2014

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Scott Hall's WWF run from 1992-1996 was pretty bizarre as they pushed him hard right off the bat as a main event heel but he didn't really catch on, and he was never high enough on the card as a face to get to the main event. I think if he stuck around in 1996, and cleaned himself up, he would've established himself as a main event heel against HBK.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Can someone post a link to the DB stinger?

http://youtu.be/U4TapwSLRP4

Scary when he does his flying dropkick and then just lays there for a while. That suicide dive was probably where it happened but I don't know.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 23, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen DB look that angry as when that match was ended. You could tell that wasn't acting. And you could see him getting angrier, especially as he walked up the entrance ramp.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Spikeguy posted:

I don't think I've ever seen DB look that angry as when that match was ended. You could tell that wasn't acting. And you could see him getting angrier, especially as he walked up the entrance ramp.

Well, to him, it was the biggest match of his career up to that point because he was going to go over Orton strong. Plus he takes pride in his matches, so he had that taken away from him without his consent. That is something anyone should be upset about, and he went to the person that stopped it and told them in as many curse words that he didn't like it. After awhile, he understood why it was stopped but the fact that he cared so much is rare these days, and going and screaming at Quad Explosion Man who is now the boss probably earned him a ton of respect.

Also, Orton showed tremendous professionalism there by constantly asking the ref if he should continue and being extra safe from then on in.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 23, 2014

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
That Bryan tirade on HHH was apparently filmed, because there just happened to be a camera in gorilla at the time. I was kind of hoping that would surface in some form during the Bryan/HHH feud.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

WWE has camera crews everywhere all the time don't they?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

oldpainless posted:

The Warrior documentary certainly made it look that way (though that could've been because it was Wrestlemania weekend).

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I think that they were making a new Warrior DVD about his triumphant return

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Manwithastick posted:

I think that they were making a new Warrior DVD about his triumphant return

They were, there were commercials over WrestleMania weekend for it before Warrior's death.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

magnum_valentino posted:

In the same interview he also recounts the Seven Moves Of Kevin Nash (which he had to research in order to teach 'em to Kane in 1996), which includes "flicking the hair". Six wrestling moves and a gesture.

There is an equally great video out there where a bemused Nash watches that.

Cornette: "The back elbow, the side knees, the flipper punch, the loving hair..."

Nash: "Side slam."

Cornette: "Side slam, uh...."

Nash: "Squisher."

Cornette: "The loving powerbomb, that's it."

Nash: (indignant) "Squisher? Snake Eyes?!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Big boot?! Corner foot choke!?!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

kevin nash forever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_SCDiPGFN0&t=38s

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Kevin Nash is the best.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Shima Honnou posted:

Kevin Nash is the best.

He certainly thinks so

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

He knows exactly what he is and who he is and that's a rare trait. Nash claims a bit too much credit, but he's really been an asset on any Legends round table I've watched.

"The nerve of that rear end in a top hat to live on a fastball!"

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I loving love Nash for poo poo like this. Dude is just entertaining as hell when he wants to be. His knowing nod when he predicts Cornette saying side slam is the best.

Also, what is the Squisher? Jumping on someone laying across the ropes I'm guessing?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

harperdc posted:

He knows exactly what he is and who he is and that's a rare trait. Nash claims a bit too much credit, but he's really been an asset on any Legends round table I've watched.

"The nerve of that rear end in a top hat to live on a fastball!"

I never could hate Nash because he owns what an rear end in a top hat he is. He doesn't bullshit about it, of course he wants the most money for the least work, who doesn't. Of course he wants to always look good, who doesn't. Of course he sucks at wrestling, because he never needed to be good at it to get rich. He's got a very healthy mental attitude and he can be very funny.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Critical posted:

Also, what is the Squisher? Jumping on someone laying across the ropes I'm guessing?
My best guess is the gutbuster he did sometimes.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I saw what felt like 10,000 Kevin Nash matches when I was a kid and the only move I can ever remember him doing are those weak rear end knee lifts to a guy in the corner. I'm probably thinking of the "side knees".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Every time I saw that I was thinking "I guess a guy that size bumping into you with the side of his thigh would kind of hurt."

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

They were, there were commercials over WrestleMania weekend for it before Warrior's death.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on another DVD, but that one was released before Wrestlemania, so there's no way the filming from Wrestlemania weekend was meant for that.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

oldpainless posted:

Yes, they probably have a ton of backstage footage dating back 20+ years.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Kevin Nash is so big and so sexy.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Shima Honnou posted:

Kevin Nash is the best.

TNA Paparazzi Championship Series was the greatest thing TNA ever did and ever will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9l2WT_xK6w

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Kevin Nash is so big and so sexy.

The Sexecutioner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Kevin Nash rules. He and Scott Hall always talk about all the bullshit they pulled because, "they could get away with it".

They told a story about how they would want to go drink beers backstage at WCW and they'd invite Hogan along because they knew if someone showed up they could just point to Hogan and no one could say poo poo.

Also, my first email address was big_sexygkiller@hotmail.com
I've been a Keving Nash mark my whole life, sorry (I'm not sorry).