Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are definitely a few trainers with Chansey/Blissey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Lopunny strikes me as more of a backup dancer.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Definitely in Sinnoh, where you have to see everything. Maybe in Sevii, but as far as I remember not in Kanto itself and then postgame trainers for all Gen V games. There are also a few trainers in the Tower/Hollow that have them.

The Breeders of some games also use Happiny, which also give off a lot of experience.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dr Pepper posted:

I can not remember a single time I've fought an in-game trainer with any of the Chansey line.

Doctors in the sports grounds in BW2 use Chansey. (In BW1 they have Audino.)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I can not remember a single time I've fought an in-game trainer with any of the Chansey line.

I remember someone in gen 1 with a Chansey in victory road, and it gave a lot of experience back then too. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

The breeders in White Treehollow/Black Tower in BW2 have all members of the Chansey line between them, iirc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr Pepper posted:

There were some trainers with Happiney in Platinum. I used to abuse the hell out of the rebattler to get most of my pokemon to level 30ish when I met them.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I just remembered Pokemon Conquest existed and busted it out for a little run. Man, that game had a cool concept. I wish a new game/remake for the 3DS would come out that tones down the grindiness, but it probably didn't do well enough to warrant so much as an unlocalized sequel

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So with GTS ending for the older games in a month, what are the legendaries to grab off pokecheck if I wanna complete the national dex? I do own Japanese Pearl, and English Soul Silver/White. What legendaries can I get with just those games (haven't played SS at all and barely played the other 2)?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been having a bit of fun with this Poliwrath on Showdown:

Poliwrath @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

You can probably see the basic idea here; set up rain, switch to the Wrath, belly drum and hope they don't expect it, go nuts. I got two clean sweeps out of it and that was pretty fun! Most people know how to deal with it and/or don't give me good opportunities, but man does it feel good to catch someone with this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So with GTS ending for the older games in a month, what are the legendaries to grab off pokecheck if I wanna complete the national dex? I do own Japanese Pearl, and English Soul Silver/White. What legendaries can I get with just those games (haven't played SS at all and barely played the other 2)?

Pokemon you cannot get in games under normal circumstances:

Mew
Celebi (less of an issue with the free Celebi everyone gets from Pokebank)
Jirachi
Deoxys
Shaymin
Manaphy
Phione
Darkrai
Arceus
Victini
Keldeo
Genesect
Meloetta

Then there's the Gen VI event mons: Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion

Now in your specific games you own there will probably be Pokemon you can't find either, but if it's at all breedable people over the net will be more than willing to pass some to you.

Also, off the top of my head, your owned games don't make it possible to all 3 Regigolems, nor Rayquaza and the other Hoenn legendary that doesn't show in Silver. And then there's Landorus and the Kami pokemon that doesn't show in White. And Reshiram.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Pureauthor posted:

Pokemon you cannot get in games under normal circumstances:

Mew
Celebi (less of an issue with the free Celebi everyone gets from Pokebank)
Jirachi
Deoxys
Shaymin
Manaphy
Phione
Darkrai
Arceus
Victini
Keldeo
Genesect
Meloetta

Then there's the Gen VI event mons: Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion

Technically Mega Blaziken is event-only as well, and currently not available anymore either.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, making Blazikinite an event only item was enough to rush my butt into buying it before the cut off. The 3rd gen starters are my overall favorite :3:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, but that'll be a moot point once the Hoenn remakes get announced and all three of the Hoenn starters get Megas.

Right?

... Right?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Nah, Blaziken just gets two extra Megas (Mega Blaziken R and Mega Blaziken S) while Sceptile and Swampert get none.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I'm okay with that, Blaziken's the best Pokemon anyway.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

In order to Mega Evolve it kills Sceptile or Swampert, eats their remains and absorbs their powers, types and abilities in the process. Mega Blaziken R wears Sceptile's skin as a war trophy, and Mega Blaziken S wears Swampert's.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'd live to see a Mega-Sceptile.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nihilarian posted:

I'd live to see a Mega-Sceptile.

Mega Sceptile in Smash 4 to announce Hoenn remakes. Come on Sakurai do it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Why do people like sceptile? His design is terrible, and he doesn't seen terribly competitive.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

Why do people like sceptile? His design is terrible, and he doesn't seen terribly competitive.
I don't play competitively and I like his design. Better than Swampert and Blaziken, anyway.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Matter of taste, I guess. To me his design is really cool, both from a visual standpoint and for what it represents. A dilophosaurus (one of the creepiest dinosaurs) mixed with a gecko (videogame geckos are always cool) mixed with some sort of legume tree, and leaf blades on his arms. Just badass.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

All of the starters should have mega forms, just on the principle of it.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Joramun posted:

Matter of taste, I guess. To me his design is really cool, both from a visual standpoint and for what it represents. A dilophosaurus (one of the creepiest dinosaurs) mixed with a gecko (videogame geckos are always cool) mixed with some sort of legume tree, and leaf blades on his arms. Just badass.

Sceptile is an awesome design, it's totally a dinosaurian leaf-tailed gecko. Shame it got shafted so bad - the physical/special split really hurt it, and its hidden ability is rather boring.

Mega Swampert should have Sap Sipper as its ability.

E: vvv :tipshat: It would be pretty scary though...

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 24, 2014

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Constable Lemon posted:

All of the starters should have mega forms, just on the principle of it.

As a huge breeder of Starters, I fully support this stance.

Still would love a Mega Swampert with sap sipper... :getin:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Ignite Memories posted:

On a competitive standpoint, its HA is Unburden, which doubles your Speed if you use an item (Whether it's Power Herb or even Absorb Bulb). And since it has good mixed attacking stats, it's not bad. There's better Grass-types for your buck like MegaVenusaur, but it's still an option.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mega Sceptile should be a physical attacker so more people will use give him Leaf Blade.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Spiffster posted:

As a huge breeder of Starters, I fully support this stance.

Still would love a Mega Swampert with sap sipper... :getin:

Oh lord a Mega Swampert with sap sipper would be nigh unstoppable.

You're a genius and I want it to happen so badly.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Magres posted:

Oh lord a Mega Swampert with sap sipper would be nigh unstoppable.

You're a genius and I want it to happen so badly.

Nah, not a genius, we've talked about it in the thread before. Of course if he did get that his actual stat boosts would have to be negligible. That ability combined with a huge boost would be extremely broken

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spiffster posted:

Nah, not a genius, we've talked about it in the thread before. Of course if he did get that his actual stat boosts would have to be negligible. That ability combined with a huge boost would be extremely broken
I suggested Swift Swim.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think the Physical/Special split really hurt Sceptile all that much. It lost Leaf Blade from its better offensive stat but it still has Leaf Storm, Energy Ball (which has the same power as Leaf Blade in Gen 6) and Giga Drain for special Grass attacks and gained Focus Blast and Hidden Power Rock. The real thing that hurt Sceptile is that SubSeed is no longer a viable strategy as the metagame became more offensive.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nihilarian posted:

I suggested Swift Swim.

That would help it get some decent moves off, but Swampert is mainly used as a tank, not a sweeper. Having Sap Sipper makes it's defenses extremely formidable.

I'd accept swift swim over damp as a HA though. Is it even possible to get a damp swampert in game legally?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Spiffster posted:

That would help it get some decent moves off, but Swampert is mainly used as a tank, not a sweeper. Having Sap Sipper makes it's defenses extremely formidable.

I'd accept swift swim over damp as a HA though. Is it even possible to get a damp swampert in game legally?
It was a Japanese event only (and male only, screw you Gamefreak), so it's rather uncommon. Still better than Damp Jellicent.:suicide:

Unrelated, a reminder that Wifi is ending in May, so if you've got a Pokecheck mon or some 6 IV Dittos you want, say so now in the trade thread, because who knows when Pokecheck is getting Gen 6 support.

Also, I still have many surplus legendaries, and I am looking for "battle ready" mons (5 IV with the correct dump stat) or egg move breeding rejects. All of the above things may or may not be related, give me your best offers. I can also use IRC now, so you can hit me there too!:kiddo:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Spiffster posted:

Yes they're legal, there was a Japanese Global Link promotion that gave away Damp Mudkips.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I suggested Swift Swim.
Drizzle. Politoed is not good enough in a universe where Mega Tyranitar and Mega Charizard Y exist.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spiffster posted:

I said Swift Swim because it's said to be as fast as a jet ski. :shrug:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Give Mega Swampert Sap-Sipper, and add a Recover/Slack Off tutor so good tanky Pokemon can actually be good at walling.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't think the Physical/Special split really hurt Sceptile all that much. It lost Leaf Blade from its better offensive stat but it still has Leaf Storm, Energy Ball (which has the same power as Leaf Blade in Gen 6) and Giga Drain for special Grass attacks and gained Focus Blast and Hidden Power Rock. The real thing that hurt Sceptile is that SubSeed is no longer a viable strategy as the metagame became more offensive.
I was speaking more thematically than viability. Giving him a 50 point boost to attack would give him incentive to use his signature move.

His type coverage is better on his physical side anyway, so overall it would be a good move I think.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Crosscontaminant posted:

Drizzle. Politoed is not good enough in a universe where Mega Tyranitar and Mega Charizard Y exist.

It's sort of balanced out by the fact that Rain is a way better weather than any of the others. There should totally be a mega Politoed though that's just a buff Politoed with angry eyebrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I am Reverend posted:

It's sort of balanced out by the fact that Rain is a way better weather than any of the others. There should totally be a mega Politoed though that's just a buff Politoed with angry eyebrows.
I completely agree.

• Locked thread