Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

This morning I started getting a weird bug on my iPhone 5s (iOS 7.1) where a few D&D threads starting appearing twice on my Bookmarks (not pictured is duplicates of the Climate Change thread):

Edit: Restarting the app seems to have fixed it, that was odd though. Also I didn't see the edit above me at the time :v:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pokeyman posted:

What's the workaround again?

The waffleimages workaround is at randomwaffle.gbs.fm, but has a different url structure.

example broken url:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/65/659edb9a1726c4ebeda20932e49fd61f5e388065.jpg
which becomes:
http://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/65/659edb9a1726c4ebeda20932e49fd61f5e388065.jpg

Also afaik, all .jpeg's get converted to .jpg

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The weird behavior is coming from inside the thread!

Compare how the quote was parsed to the original post (bolding mine)

Urdnot Fire posted:

This morning I started getting a weird bug on my iPhone 5s (iOS 7.1) where a few D&D threads

Ed: iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 Awful latest

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the yeti posted:

The weird behavior is coming from inside the thread!

Compare how the quote was parsed to the original post (bolding mine)

Ed: iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 Awful latest

Yep, fixed for next version (no doubt causing some other parsing hilarity).

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

obstipator posted:

The waffleimages workaround is at randomwaffle.gbs.fm, but has a different url structure.

example broken url:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/65/659edb9a1726c4ebeda20932e49fd61f5e388065.jpg
which becomes:
http://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/65/659edb9a1726c4ebeda20932e49fd61f5e388065.jpg

Also afaik, all .jpeg's get converted to .jpg

So, some sort of parser, such as: IF string = "http://img.waffleimages.com*.jpg"or .jpeg, THEN replace with "http://img.waffleimages.com*.jpg"

Or am I using that wrong?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kizudarake posted:

So, some sort of parser, such as: IF string = "http://img.waffleimages.com*.jpg"or .jpeg, THEN replace with "http://img.waffleimages.com*.jpg"

Also need to take the first 2 digits of the filename and make it a directory, it looks like.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kizudarake posted:

The new url has the first 2 chracters of the hash added as a directory and doesn't contain the image name. But yeah, the .jpeg => .jpg thing too

I did something with htaccess on a random server I have to do it a while ago because I'm really lazy, and put this in my hosts file:
216.104.41.235 waffleimages.com
216.104.41.235 img.waffleimages.com
216.104.41.235 echelon.mirror.waffleimages.com

.htaccess:
# redirect waffleimages
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} .*waffleimages.com
RewriteRule ^([a-f0-9]{2})([a-f0-9]+)/(?:.*?)\.(jpeg)$ http://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/$1/$1$2.jpg
RewriteRule ^([a-f0-9]{2})([a-f0-9]+)/(?:.*?)\.(.{1,5})$ http://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/$1/$1$2.$3

But afaik, there's no way to do something like host file editing for iPhone?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

obstipator posted:

Not without jailbreaking.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

obstipator posted:

The new url has the first 2 chracters of the hash added as a directory and doesn't contain the image name. But yeah, the .jpeg => .jpg thing too

I did something with htaccess on a random server I have to do it a while ago because I'm really lazy, and put this in my hosts file:
216.104.41.235 waffleimages.com
216.104.41.235 img.waffleimages.com
216.104.41.235 echelon.mirror.waffleimages.com

.htaccess:
# redirect waffleimages
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} .*waffleimages.com
RewriteRule ^([a-f0-9]{2})([a-f0-9]+)/(?:.*?)\.(jpeg)$ http://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/$1/$1$2.jpg
RewriteRule ^([a-f0-9]{2})([a-f0-9]+)/(?:.*?)\.(.{1,5})$ http://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/$1/$1$2.$3

Alright sweet, I can add that. Thanks for writing it out.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I changed the yospos stylesheet to old mac and now all the threads crash the app. It's borken

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I changed the yospos stylesheet to old mac and now all the threads crash the app. It's borken

Fixed in upcoming version (I think already sent to Apple).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yep.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I did this by accident with my big fat fingers so it's good to know it's already being fixed.

It's a great app, only way to browse the forums on mobile devices.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Subjunctive posted:

Fixed in upcoming version (I think already sent to Apple).

Sorry :shobon: I don't really read this thread, just post everytime something breaks on me

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I keep getting crashes in the NHL threads, but upon reading some posts here and seeing that it probably has to do with ignored people makes sense. Fateo McMurray is on my ignore list but he was probated the last week, and I wasn't having horrible crashing problems until he started posting again.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I keep getting a weird bug that says threads have no unread posts when they clearly do. Look at the top thread in this list

I then instantly refreshed, and look at the thread again, new last poster, but no unread posts :/

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

im getting that problem too.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Just updated awful on my iphone running ios 7.04 and it wont even open. I deleted it and reinstalled but no dice. It wont open. It is jailbroke. Anythoughts on what I can try?

Edit: a reboot of the device worked

Bill Brasky
Apr 13, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I keep getting crashes in the NHL threads, but upon reading some posts here and seeing that it probably has to do with ignored people makes sense. Fateo McMurray is on my ignore list but he was probated the last week, and I wasn't having horrible crashing problems until he started posting again.

I'm having the same problem with the Ron & Fez show thread crashing and it's the only thread that has a poster on my ignore list that posts there.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

I keep getting a weird bug that says threads have no unread posts when they clearly do.

I then instantly refreshed, and look at the thread again, new last poster, but no unread posts :/
I believe this was based on the fact that the forums don't update that information in real-time, running some polled script to update the last poster information. If that's the case, blame vBulletin/Radium/Chooch/whomever

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If this was already discussed I apologize, but if I go from a private message to attempt to look at the sender's user profile, the app crashes.

E: and trying to look at their rap sheet doesn't crash it but it just takes me to the leper colony rather than anything on that particular user.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I keep getting a weird bug that says threads have no unread posts when they clearly do. Look at the top thread in this list

I'm seeing the same thing. There is some Forums fuckery with the order of threads on a page of bookmarks, but that doesn't explain what we're seeing in Awful.

Bluedeanie posted:

If this was already discussed I apologize, but if I go from a private message to attempt to look at the sender's user profile, the app crashes.

E: and trying to look at their rap sheet doesn't crash it but it just takes me to the leper colony rather than anything on that particular user.

I know exactly what's going on in a sense (Awful doesn't know the user's ID) but I'm not sure how it got there in the first place. There are a couple of ways to fix it, and crashing isn't an appropriate response regardless.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I noticed an interesting thing yesterday where I clicked on a user's profile (http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=187377 for reference) and it said he had zero posts and no avatar, both not true at the time. It's not a big deal by any means but I thought I'd let you know all the same.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's some weirdness with autocomplete in yospos mode. If I type "ill " (eye ell ell space), I end up with "I'll _l" with the cursor where _ is. I haven't figured it out yet, but it also affects autoclose.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

forbidden lesbian posted:

I noticed an interesting thing yesterday where I clicked on a user's profile (http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=187377 for reference) and it said he had zero posts and no avatar, both not true at the time. It's not a big deal by any means but I thought I'd let you know all the same.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Subjunctive posted:

There's some weirdness with autocomplete in yospos mode. If I type "ill " (eye ell ell space), I end up with "I'll _l" with the cursor where _ is. I haven't figured it out yet, but it also affects autoclose.

ultramiraculous did something.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The app is showing an empty forum that doesn't otherwise seem to exist. What fresh hell is this?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

AstroZamboni posted:

The app is showing an empty forum that doesn't otherwise seem to exist. What fresh hell is this?

It's your forum

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

AstroZamboni posted:

Youve discovered the secret portal to the mod forums

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
I want to go to that forum and say hi to all the IK's.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I don't know if you're giving me a hint on where to look to fix it or telling me that it's already fixed :downs:. (I don't know who or what ultramiraculous is.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

A number of people have seen this, including myself. My understanding is that Awful scrapes its forums list from the dropdown menu on the bottom of this page. What's probably happening is that that forum is showing up occasionally in that menu even if you shouldn't see it, so the app picks it up. Some admins have said that the forums permission system is a mess, so it's not entirely surprising. If you were to go back to that page and check the dropdown often enough, you'd probably eventually see that forum show up.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I don't know if you're giving me a hint on where to look to fix it or telling me that it's already fixed :downs:. (I don't know who or what ultramiraculous is.)

One of the other awful developers.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I love using the awful app. My phone is my most used computer and I couldn't even tell you the last time I used my laptop to browse the forums.

Forgive me if this has been asked about before as I haven't read all of this thread: is there any way that a post history link could be included on a user's profile?

In all honesty, I was trying to find my own post history. I know how to find my own posts within a thread, but I wanted to get to older stuff that I no longer have bookmarked.

Thanks so much!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, sorry. ultramiraculous is the name of someone around here, and also their GitHub name, who did something to mess with autocomplete in YOSPOS. If you look for their commits in the repo you can find what they did, and that'll probably point you to a solution for the bug you found.

fork bomb posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked about before as I haven't read all of this thread: is there any way that a post history link could be included on a user's profile?

In all honesty, I was trying to find my own post history. I know how to find my own posts within a thread, but I wanted to get to older stuff that I no longer have bookmarked.

It's on the list but there's no way to do it at the moment.

There's no problem repeating questions because it gives me a sense of what to add next. More askers means more likely to go in that direction.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I don't suppose there's any eta on the ignored user crash fix? I can't even access this thread from my phone now and it definitely is very frustrating bug and I really don't want to clean out my ignored list. They're there for a reason.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Serifina posted:

I don't suppose there's any eta on the ignored user crash fix? I can't even access this thread from my phone now and it definitely is very frustrating bug and I really don't want to clean out my ignored list. They're there for a reason.

Whenever the App Store Review Team are done with it. My guess is early next week.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

Lies! Lies and slander! ...really I can't tell if I didn't do it 100% right in the past and somehow I only started noticing recently or if something recent messed it up. It seems like trying to lowercase an autocorrection for something like im->I'm causes the autocorrection to trigger a second time.

The code is in AwfulComposeTextViewController under textView:shouldChangeTextInRange:replacementText: if you want to talk a look.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultramiraculous posted:

Lies! Lies and slander! ...really I can't tell if I didn't do it 100% right in the past and somehow I only started noticing recently or if something recent messed it up. It seems like trying to lowercase an autocorrection for something like im->I'm causes the autocorrection to trigger a second time.

The code is in AwfulComposeTextViewController under textView:shouldChangeTextInRange:replacementText: if you want to talk a look.

Thanks! I've got some hacking time set aside this afternoon, so I'll take a swing.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Serifina posted:

Stop being such a baby and ignoring people on a comedy Internet forum.

That's pretty much the fix for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Stop being such a baby and ignoring people on a comedy Internet forum.

That's pretty much the fix for this

Maybe, but that's not for Awful.app to decide.

• Locked thread