Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok we need to differentiate between production companies and showrunners here guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Ok we need to differentiate between production companies and showrunners here guys.

Producers and showrunners can be one and the same, but if you want to get that specific, then nobody's mentioned Gene Roddenberry or Donald P. Bellisario yet despite there being little chance of anyone here never seeing a show from either one of them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Well I wouldn't drop Netflix or anything, I just would like to know if there are at least, say, 15-20 shows on there that I would like to watch.

So, is Sorkin the first "celebrity" showrunner? I know shows have always had showrunners, but these days, with the proliferation of media devoted strictly to TV, people are a lot more aware of who's the major creative force, whether it be Weiner or Gilligan or whoever. Maybe they talked about this poo poo all the time in TV Guide back in the day, I don't know, but it seems to me that the first dude I can remember being talked about like it was "his" show and there was a sense of individual ownership of the whole project was Sorkin with the West Wing.

David chase

Dick wolf

Lorne michaels

Chuck Lorre

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

I was about to say this.

I think it's only in the last decade that showrunner has come to be generally understood as the auteur of television. Probably due to the rise of serialized dramas. Sorkin probably straddles the line between a Dick Wolf type and a Vince Gilligan type.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I guess if you mean in terms of a public, easily recognizable face, but even with that caveat, as someone mentioned there's still Lorne Michaels, Rod Serling, and Hitchcock who have got them beat by decades.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lorne Michaels is and was the first celebrity showrunner, Serling doesn't really count as a showrunner since he was a host of what was technically a variety show

Listing him would be akin to listing Carson

When you're asking for the first celebrity showrunner you're talking about a guy who never appeared onscreen but determined the shows overall direction and tone right? Because again that discounts people like Carson, Serling, Van Dyke etc

If we go under that definition Lorne michaels was def the first, Star Trek was dubiously successful at best when it was first created and most people who watched it had no idea who Rodenberry even was

Even now I would argue most people remember the name Abrams over Rodenberry if you asked them about Star Trek

In contrast michaels firing from snl was a Big Deal for a huge nbc show that most people knew about. Like it got major media coverage and the show even had to directly address it in the first sketch of the new season

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel like Serling and Hitchcock are different animals because they appeared in front of the camera every week. If someone else had done the TZ intro narration, I don't think most people would know who Serling was. Hitchcock was EP on AHP but I don't think he wrote, directed or did anything besides the intros and outros. Nobody knew who Lorne Michaels was until he started appearing in sketches. Modern showrunners never go in front of the camera, at least not on their own shows.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Nobody knew who Lorne Michaels was until he started appearing in sketches.

This is emphatically not true see above

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When was the term "showrunner" first coined?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

When was the term "showrunner" first coined?

According to slate late 1980s

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well, Brooklyn 99 took all of one episode to completely sell me on it.

Now I get to have 21 more to go. :allears:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

STAC Goat posted:

Serling is the guy who did the classic Twilight Zone introductions.

Bocho did a bunch of cop and lawyer shows in the 70s and 80s like Hill Street Blues and LA Law. His recognizable production stamp was a violin playing classical music.

Edit: Ok, if you don't know Hitchcock I'm gonna assume I missed the trolling and walk away before I get snobby.

Oh, The old Twilight zone. I've probably heard his voice then. Most of the Twilight zone I've watched was narrated by Forrest Whitaker, though.

Never seen any tv show before the 90's, so I guess I wouldn't recognize Bocho. And I was being serious about Hitchcock, haha. I checked his IMDB, never seen a single one of his movies, though I have heard of Psycho... but only from that Bastille song, "No Scrubs". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xfKU31v3Hc

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ravane posted:

And I was being serious about Hitchcock, haha. I checked his IMDB, never seen a single one of his movies, though I have heard of Psycho... but only from that Bastille song, "No Scrubs". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xfKU31v3Hc

Holy gently caress, do you mind telling me how old you are?

Actually, never mind, I'm going to feel old either way.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Kids just don't respect the classics nowadays. Star Wars? Ghostbusters? Indiana Jones? Cliched crap for old fogies.

DivisionPost posted:

Holy gently caress, do you mind telling me how old you are?

If he remembers the Forrest Wittacker version of Twilight Zone, he'd have to be at least 25.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

Kids just don't respect the classics nowadays. Star Wars? Ghostbusters? Indiana Jones? Cliched crap for old fogies.

If he remembers the Forrest Wittacker version of Twilight Zone, he'd have to be at least 25.

Three years younger, I'm 22. But even I feel old in comparison to the kids today. They're using all this new slang like "ratchet". I just can't keep up. But I did watch the original Star Wars series for the first time last year. Still haven't seen Indiana Jones (except for Crystal skull) and never saw Ghostbusters.

vvv: Still being completely serious.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 24, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Come on, you're trying way too hard here.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Go watch some Hitchcock, dude.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ravane posted:

Three years younger, I'm 22. But even I feel old in comparison to the kids today. They're using all this new slang like "ratchet". I just can't keep up. But I did watch the original Star Wars series for the first time last year. Still haven't seen Indiana Jones (except for Crystal skull) and never saw Ghostbusters.

vvv: Still being completely serious.

What are you doing on an internet message board for supernerds?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

scary ghost dog posted:

What are you doing on an internet message board for supernerds?

Four years ago, I was stupid, I had ten dollars and a youtube channel for Let's Plays. Now, I'm still stupid, but I have neither money nor a youtube channel. It's progress.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
"ratchet" owns, Hitchcock owns, you need to go out more Ravane.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, I'm sorry. I refuse to believe someone posting on a TV subforum has no idea who Hitchcock or Serling are. Age is no loving excuse. I'm 19, but I knew those names when I was 8.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 24, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

And literally nobody knows The Twilight Zone as "the show Forest Whitaker hosted."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

The showrunner thing came from writers becoming producers because that's where the money is. Also you guys forgot Carsey-Werner and MTM, which basically created the concept of the showrunner.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Knowing the Forest Whitaker version better than the classic series is a bit odd for any age. The new series was on and off the TV within a year, while the classic series is constantly being marathoned. Not saying it's impossible, but it's odd.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Seriously, who thought Trip Tank was a good idea? People who REALLY wanted to make Aqua Teen Hunger Force again?

Also, holy poo poo, Aqua Teen hunger Force is still on the air? :stare:

Edit: Twilight Zone is one of those shoes I've been meaning to buy on DVD.

Also if we are talking old shows. If you were a kid in the 90s watching Nickelodeon, Did you also stay up to watch Nick At Night? Stuff like I love Lucy, Happy Days, Lavern and Shirley, The Monkeys, Gilligan's Island. Old shows like that.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 24, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I won't make fun because my first exposure to the Outer Limits was the 90s version and my dad once made fun of me for not knowing it was a remake/reboot/whatever. And now's the part where I try and ignore that I'm almost as old as my dad was when that memory was formed.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

raditts posted:

And literally nobody knows The Twilight Zone as "the show Forest Whitaker hosted."

Yeah, it's "the show with the KoRn music intro."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

soapgish posted:

Yeah, it's "the show with the KoRn music intro."
I think you mean "the show with the sweet Disturbed intro."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, holy poo poo, Aqua Teen hunger Force is still on the air? :stare:

Technically...

Aqua Teen Hunger Force ended in 2010 to be replaced by Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1 which was then replaced by Aqua Something You Know Whatever followed by Aqua TV Show Show.

For a brief time between seasons when it wasn't showing new episodes, it was called Aqua Tivo Avoidance Plan.

The show will likely (and hopefully) never end. It's the epitome of Adult Swim's irreverence.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If you don't live in the US it's understandable if you don't know who Serling is. Hitchcock though that's just silly, even non-film nerds know him.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ravane posted:

Four years ago, I was stupid, I had ten dollars and a youtube channel for Let's Plays. Now, I'm still stupid, but I have neither money nor a youtube channel. It's progress.

I suggest you watch The Twilight Zone, to this day it's still the best, most progressive show of all time.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

MrAristocrates posted:

No, I'm sorry. I refuse to believe someone posting on a TV subforum has no idea who Hitchcock or Serling are. Age is no loving excuse. I'm 19, but I knew those names when I was 8.

I mean, if you asked my parents, they wouldn't know who those directors were either. I wasn't born in America, I was only raised here. But these are just old movies, does it really matter that much if I don't know who they are?

raditts posted:

As a kid, this was one of the few adult shows I religiously watched. I think I was just running off the steam that "Are You Afraid of the Dark" had.

BigRed0427 posted:

Also if we are talking old shows. If you were a kid in the 90s watching Nickelodeon, Did you also stay up to watch Nick At Night? Stuff like I love Lucy, Happy Days, Lavern and Shirley, The Monkeys, Gilligan's Island. Old shows like that.

I caught I Love Lucy every once in a while because my mom actually learned English from this show. But I never really watched any of the other Nick at Night shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Twilight Zone is one of those shoes I've been meaning to buy on DVD.

Forget the DVD, get the Blu-ray. Possibly the best TV home video release of all time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

I suggest you watch The Twilight Zone, to this day it's still the best, most progressive show of all time.
Not true, you're forgetting Lois and Clark.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not true, you're forgetting Lois and Clark.

And you're forgetting your anti-psychotics

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Every episode of The Twilight Zone is on Hulu+ in HD. Netflix and Amazon also have them in HD for streaming but for some odd reason don't have season 4 (they have 1,2,3,5).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Every episode of The Twilight Zone is on Hulu+ in HD. Netflix and Amazon also have them in HD for streaming but for some odd reason don't have season 4 (they have 1,2,3,5).

Season 4 is the season they shot experimentally on video, with hour long episodes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

scary ghost dog posted:

Season 4 is the season they shot experimentally on video, with hour long episodes.

Yeah, but are there different rights issues with it? It's just weird that only Hulu+ has it available for streaming when Netflix doesn't have it at all and you have to buy the episodes on Amazon to watch it there.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but are there different rights issues with it? It's just weird that only Hulu+ has it available for streaming when Netflix doesn't have it at all and you have to buy the episodes on Amazon to watch it there.

I think Netflix has secret programming bugs that cause certain things to arbitrarily not be available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

scary ghost dog posted:

No, season two was where they shot a few episodes on video. As far as I know everything in season four was done on 35mm.

• Locked thread