Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah, actually making Agnes a WM/Salvemaker combo lets you get a routine going where you can have a no-strings-attached resurrect use followed by a teamwide cura/curadaa for small MP cost without needing to plan on whether or not anybody died in the meantime; plus, then she can item re-raise herself, toss elemental debuffs at the enemy, and do plenty of actual item damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Chronojam posted:

Yeah, actually making Agnes a WM/Salvemaker combo lets you get a routine going where you can have a no-strings-attached resurrect use followed by a teamwide cura/curadaa for small MP cost without needing to plan on whether or not anybody died in the meantime; plus, then she can item re-raise herself, toss elemental debuffs at the enemy, and do plenty of actual item damage.

Wait, resurrect is precast like re-raise? I missed that. poo poo. I also haven't figured out the salve-maker combos but it sounds like it is worth exploring.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Resurrect isn't the same as re-raise, but it's basically a free action. Your healer may as well use it if you've got any doubts at all about whether or not your party will have anybody dead when that turn comes up. You can combine hi-potion and x-potion for an item based re-raise though using salvemaker. You can make some ridiculously resilient teams through the raise options in this game.

(Of course if you are BP-limited it's not entirely free, but most endgame parties have BP tricks up their sleeves somewhere)

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Ah. I probably have to start experimenting with BP batteries and tricks then. Thanks for all the tips, y'all.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, that's bullshit. I got a Goldie+ nemesis, and it's an extremely engaging fight, albeit gruelingly long. I had been just barely managing to keep ahead of it, and had depleted about 90% of its HP, when one of my party members got confused and used Run, successfully, all in one turn. All that money on Dragon Fangs, wasted.... To say nothing of the time I spent.

Needless to say I'm trying again.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Chronojam posted:

Resurrect isn't the same as re-raise, but it's basically a free action.

Notably, healing lore doubles ressurect from 25% to 50%, which is pretty great for preventing raised allies from just getting rolled over again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I finished the game and it was really good! But I need some clarification on the ending. What was up with Airy's sister? I gather that the celestial sharing Tiz's body is supposed to be the player but what does the fairy have to do with any of it? Was she what allowed the player to save Tiz's life. Was she inhabiting his body as well. Or was she the only thing inside of him and the player was just kind of helping out from the celestial realm or some poo poo? I'm just really confused :psyduck:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 21, 2014

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I finished the game and it was really good! But I need some clarification on the ending. What was up with Airy's sister? I gather that the celestial sharing Tiz's body is supposed to be the player but what does the fairy have to do with any of it? Was she what allowed the player to save Tiz's life. Was she inhabiting his body as well. Or was she the only thing inside of him and the player was just kind of helping out from the celestial real or some poo poo? I'm just really confused :psyduck:

There isn't really a great explanation for Airy's sister. She's probably the real cryst-fairy that was supposed to help Agnes and that Airy was impersonating, and might reasonably have been the presence inside Tiz, but beyond that you might have to wait for the sequel for a clearer explanation for what her exact role was.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
In a few hours I'll have a fully restored Norende before I even return to the Wind Temple. I knew I was a little OP, but up until I melted the dragon boss for the rainbow thread with a special move in the 2nd turn, I didn't know how much. :stare:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In a few hours I'll have a fully restored Norende before I even return to the Wind Temple. I knew I was a little OP, but up until I melted the dragon boss for the rainbow thread with a special move in the 2nd turn, I didn't know how much. :stare:

If it makes you feel better at some point the game fully expects you to have gear on the level of or better than what you can get from Norende. Norende gear is also really expensive for the stats most of the time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Picked up this game again after a bit of a break, and now I'm in Chapter 8. This is where poo poo starts getting real, right? Do bosses have anything worth stealing? I just fought the first set, and they all seemed to have Elixirs and Turbo Ethers. (Edea killed the last guy before I could find out for sure, though.)

If it's all Elixirs and Turbo Ethers, I'm going to say "gently caress it," and just unload on them. Agnes the Salvemaker can make me all the Elixirs I need!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's no need to steal from bosses in chapter 8. Chapter 7 is where the bosses have good steals.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And the bosses in Chapter 8 are more like postgame superbosses, really.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

Picked up this game again after a bit of a break, and now I'm in Chapter 8. This is where poo poo starts getting real, right? Do bosses have anything worth stealing? I just fought the first set, and they all seemed to have Elixirs and Turbo Ethers. (Edea killed the last guy before I could find out for sure, though.)

If it's all Elixirs and Turbo Ethers, I'm going to say "gently caress it," and just unload on them. Agnes the Salvemaker can make me all the Elixirs I need!

Unload on them, you'll be surprised how hard some of them can be and you might not even have the chance to steal.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Getting into chapters 7 and 8, I can't help but wish they'd made up new tracks for the various teams you face. The Asterisk Battle music is neat, but by now it's been heard so much, it'd be really cool if you got to hear special themes for the Sky Knights/Black Blades/etc.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm glad to hear I can retire my Thief in Chapter 8. The battles in Chapter 7 aren't super hard but hard enough that making sure to steal (USE ROB BLIND FOR DEAR GOD) from every enemy was a Thing.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Keeping stillness up while you're robbing the enemy is a good technique in chapter 7. Using it in chapter 8 will gently caress you over enormously after a certain point though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

bloodychill posted:

I'm glad to hear I can retire my Thief in Chapter 8. The battles in Chapter 7 aren't super hard but hard enough that making sure to steal (USE ROB BLIND FOR DEAR GOD) from every enemy was a Thing.

You shouldn't have had to use an actual thief for ages, though. Not even a thief sub-job. The Thief's Dagger uses Mug when you use it as an item, and switching weapons is a free action.

Thanks for confirming that Ch. 8 bosses have nothing worth stealing. I am looking forward to getting my rear end kicked!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Silver Falcon posted:

You shouldn't have had to use an actual thief for ages, though. Not even a thief sub-job. The Thief's Dagger uses Mug when you use it as an item, and switching weapons is a free action.

:doh:

Well at least now ringabell doesn't have to be a thief.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I guess you just have to remember your Special counter gets reset when you do that.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, I just got to the fire temple, and I'm looking for people who are still actively sending attacks every now and then. My friend code is 3265-5209-3239. I'll toss it on the google doc also, and if anyone friends me just shoot me a pm.

I am getting hosed hard at the fire temple because I feel like I have to equip everyone with a shield and waste ability slots with shield lore. Otherwise, I get canned by normal enemies. In fact, I have Edea as a bow ranger, and if anyone looks at her she just keels over immediately. I feel like if I could just embrace dual wields, somehow I could destroy the enemy and not die. I can send whatever weird stuff people want for friend summons. Who wants a dapper Millionaire in their friendlist every day?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Zorblack posted:

Hey guys, I just got to the fire temple, and I'm looking for people who are still actively sending attacks every now and then. My friend code is 3265-5209-3239. I'll toss it on the google doc also, and if anyone friends me just shoot me a pm.

I am getting hosed hard at the fire temple because I feel like I have to equip everyone with a shield and waste ability slots with shield lore. Otherwise, I get canned by normal enemies. In fact, I have Edea as a bow ranger, and if anyone looks at her she just keels over immediately. I feel like if I could just embrace dual wields, somehow I could destroy the enemy and not die. I can send whatever weird stuff people want for friend summons. Who wants a dapper Millionaire in their friendlist every day?

What is your whole team set up, subclasses, etc?

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

What is your whole team set up, subclasses, etc?

Tiz is a pirate/thief with a decent (I think it cost 40k) Norende axe. He has physical atk +30%. Also, Bloody shield in the off hand.

Agñes is a performer/red mage with shield lore and healing mastery (salve maker ability, might not be called healing mastery). Mediocre staff in thr main, fire and ice null shield off hand.

Edea is a ranger/thief with the gale bow. She has phys def +30% to try to counteract her insane glassy nature.

Ringabel is a valkyrie/monk with Lu Bu's spear and Bloody Shield. He has dungeon master and p atk +20%. Until now I forgot I had dungeon master on him to traipse through the fire parts of the area before the fire temple.

Basically, I have not been very imaginative.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Zorblack posted:

Tiz is a pirate/thief with a decent (I think it cost 40k) Norende axe. He has physical atk +30%. Also, Bloody shield in the off hand.

Agñes is a performer/red mage with shield lore and healing mastery (salve maker ability, might not be called healing mastery). Mediocre staff in thr main, fire and ice null shield off hand.

Edea is a ranger/thief with the gale bow. She has phys def +30% to try to counteract her insane glassy nature.

Ringabel is a valkyrie/monk with Lu Bu's spear and Bloody Shield. He has dungeon master and p atk +20%. Until now I forgot I had dungeon master on him to traipse through the fire parts of the area before the fire temple.

Two-handed (and later, Dual Wield) is a staple of my melee damage-dealing classes. Toss that on any non-monk physical attacker, remove the shield, and watch enemies cower in fear. I still keep shields on hand in case an enemy has a particularly strong attack that is telegraphed, since you can equip it as a free action during battle.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zorblack posted:

One of the best classes to stick as a sub on Valkyrie is Spellmaster, because then you can absolutely wreck groups with exploiting their elemental weakness all at once with Crescent Slash.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Zorblack posted:

Does Agnes get the healing output that you need as red mage? Salvemaker can cast reraise, resurrect, and has a poo poo ton of nice utility. For your glass cannons, have you considered subbing ninja and using utsusemi? I think at that point I had ranger/ninja, pirate/ninja as my attackers and Edea as whatever support or multipurpose.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

Does Agnes get the healing output that you need as red mage? Salvemaker can cast reraise, resurrect, and has a poo poo ton of nice utility. For your glass cannons, have you considered subbing ninja and using utsusemi? I think at that point I had ranger/ninja, pirate/ninja as my attackers and Edea as whatever support or multipurpose.

I don't have Ninja yet. I'm not even sure how I missed it; I've really been keeping up with sidequests. Also, for the fire temple boss, it doesn't really matter what her healing output is because his life drain is an OHKO and his energy burst is also an OHKO. I did an admirable amount of damage between him being vulnerable and wiping me off the face of the planet, though.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Ninja subquest doesn't show up until after the Fire Temple. If you can't Default through Energy Burst, you either need more Phys. Defense by way of armor or beefier jobs, or you need to increase your HP either through leveling a bit (and again, beefier jobs) or using Compounding from Salve-Maker. Or both.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Energy Burst is physical so buff up your defense.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Yeah, you might benefit from having a knight. The valk and pirate can't survive energy burst even while defaulted either?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Use a Performer to buff up the Party's defenses.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, even default doesn't save anyone from that energy burst. I'm level 35, and most people are talking about being well above that in this chapter, so it looks like I just need to go do some grinding.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So can somebody tell in a nonspoiler way if they are seriously hyping something up between Ringabel and Alternis? Because it certainly seems that way, i'm sure it gets explained along with the whole diary thing later on but i just want some clarification. I'm only on Chapter 3 here

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So can somebody tell in a nonspoiler way if they are seriously hyping something up between Ringabel and Alternis? Because it certainly seems that way, i'm sure it gets explained along with the whole diary thing later on but i just want some clarification. I'm only on Chapter 3 here

You are supposed to notice something and it will be explained in due time and be somewhat meaningful in the story.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yes there's something going on with those two.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well i think i've noticed somthing, but i'm not sure if i'm overthinking or not. But if it does explained then i'll just keep going.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Well i think i've noticed somthing, but i'm not sure if i'm overthinking or not. But if it does explained then i'll just keep going.

You are not overthinking. You will run into other things where you think you figured poo poo out and you are probably right. Go along with the ride.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've been in Chapter 7 for a few hours, and I gotta say, I am very curious as to how long (big spoilers)...

The title screen has had its little hidden message, because I only just noticed it now.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

I've been in Chapter 7 for a few hours, and I gotta say, I am very curious as to how long (big spoilers)...

The title screen has had its little hidden message, because I only just noticed it now.

Chapter 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What's a good way of dealing with Khamer's hasten world in chapter 8?

I still haven't tried giant's drafting everyone but I have the feeling they'll just meteor * 4 + multiburst * 4 in one turn if I do that.

• Locked thread