Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

cathead posted:

He had to start on the game because there is an actual dev team hired for it. Like, as far as the game is concerned there are a lot more people working on it than just Hussie this time, so he doesn't have the luxury of waiting because a lot of the high level concepts and designs need to be hashed out so the devs have something to work with.

Also, I'm not sure why you think the guy would take a thing he worked on near daily for 5 whole years of his life and go "yeah, I think I'll just not finish this". Do you think he's literally just not working on it at all? Because he's specifically said he is, it's just going slower than he expected. We'll get it eventually.

Creative momentum is hard to keep up. I've seen a LOT of artists halt production for one reason or another and never resume it.
I guess I was misinterpreting some of what he said in recent news posts and assumed he hadn't gotten started yet, which in hindsight doesn't really make sense. Sorry I'm an idiot, I guess v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Fortis posted:

Creative momentum is hard to keep up. I've seen a LOT of artists halt production for one reason or another and never resume it.
I guess I was misinterpreting some of what he said in recent news posts and assumed he hadn't gotten started yet, which in hindsight doesn't really make sense. Sorry I'm an idiot, I guess v:v:v

Yeah, from what I've read, he's working on both the game and the comic concurrently, but there's a lot of work involved on the game side (plus just general planning/setup of the comic's ending) so it's slowing down his work on the comic side more than he originally expected. I think that's why he's been going out of his way to be like "sorry it's actually going to take quite a bit longer".

case in point: https://twitter.com/andrewhussie/status/457004982865506304

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Andrew's twitter is full of great things. :allears:

https://twitter.com/Raven_Lizotte

edit: Hussmaster doling out the sick burns on KC's paradox space comic

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 18, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

edit: Hussmaster doling out the sick burns on KC's paradox space comic

KC Green and AH had a back-and-forth on twitter about that, so I don't think he was trying to talk behind his back about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IUG posted:

KC Green and AH had a back-and-forth on twitter about that, so I don't think he was trying to talk behind his back about it.

I know.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Can I say I don't like paradoxspace? Probably lots of people have, but it's just kinda a painfully unfunny tone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I thought you meant he was insulting KC Green or something.

While we're on the subject, he did another page:
http://paradoxspace.com/404/

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ikanreed posted:

Can I say I don't like paradoxspace? Probably lots of people have, but it's just kinda a painfully unfunny tone.
I don't think it's feasible to say Paradox Space has an unfunny tone, because it's going to have a completely different tone and voice every three comics or so. You can say you don't like the idea and execution of Paradox Space and you don't like individual segments, but that's about it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

JT Jag posted:

I don't think it's feasible to say Paradox Space has an unfunny tone, because it's going to have a completely different tone and voice every three comics or so. You can say you don't like the idea and execution of Paradox Space and you don't like individual segments, but that's about it.

There have been three, I just read them, and they all just feel like the kind of webcomics I don't read because the author has no sense of comedic timing whatsoever.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think it's fine.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ikanreed posted:

There have been three, I just read them, and they all just feel like the kind of webcomics I don't read because the author has no sense of comedic timing whatsoever.

He means (I assume) that it's written by different people every time and Hussie doesn't control the whole thing too much, so eh, I guess we're gonna have a funny one eventually.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Place your bets. If it's a joke about Sburb/Homestuck/MSPA/adventure game mechanics for seven pages, I'll be happy. Been ages since we've had those in the comic proper.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
I'm so glad we now know the long sought after captcha codes for two slightly different shapes of razor sharp glass shards.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
"420BLZ" and "8UTT5". This comic is off to a good start.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This is really promising.

frozentreasure posted:

Place your bets. If it's a joke about Sburb/Homestuck/MSPA/adventure game mechanics for seven pages, I'll be happy. Been ages since we've had those in the comic proper.
My money is on some variations of this. Especially given the name of the comic.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Not gonna lie, I kinda want some of these John faces for an avatar. So perfectly derpy.

I love how in full realization of what comes of his previous actions and with an intentional beat to think about it, he keeps grabbing things. It's like giving somebody a "Do Not Press" button.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

frozentreasure posted:

The inventory system shenanigans is what drew me into Homestuck in the first place :shobon:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

The inventory system shenanigans is what drew me into Homestuck in the first place :shobon:

all the poo poo getting sandwiched in a giant cake early on got the first laugh out of me

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

the key/gun gag in Problem Sleuth never stopped being funny to me

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Whirling Blade Pitcher

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
thank you zack for making this comic worth reading

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
Way to go, Alternative John. You managed to doom the timeline with your first prototyping.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

These appear to be on rotation. I love it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Way to go, Alternative John. You managed to doom the timeline with your first prototyping.
Alternative John? He tossed the Mannequin into the kernalsprite the first time too. Then the hag ash was tipped into it. Timeline ain't doomed yet.

edit: unless he doomed the timeline by knocking its arm off?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

JT Jag posted:

Alternative John? He tossed the Mannequin into the kernalsprite the first time too. Then the hag ash was tipped into it. Timeline ain't doomed yet.

edit: unless he doomed the timeline by knocking its arm off?

Note the number of arms :ssh:

edit: Yep, original prototype was 1-armed Jack. Now this is a no-armed Jack?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
So this comic will be the longest and longest-running of PXS so far. Obviously not much of a bar to leap over, but it'll be lasting for over a week. This could mean that it's got enough time to pace itself heading towards an actual punchline; and, really, it should mean that. If there's no end payoff to a week of, presumably, build-up, not only will that be three (four, in some people's opinion) failed stories in a row, but it would make it seem like even ones that go for longer aren't any good and that the whole concept is stupid to some people.

But then, I've been seeing people on Tumblr post about how amazing they thought that zoo comic was, so maybe the majority of people are just Homestuck fans who aren't thinking about the actual quality of the writing and just want to see HS fan comics so they can see more of their precious charact-of course they are, who am I kidding.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Tumblr crowd isn't hard to please on a good day, and in these days of Homestuck drought, even dirty water tastes like nectar.

Also, did people dislike even the introduction comic? It seemed pretty harmless to me.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

frozentreasure posted:

So this comic will be the longest and longest-running of PXS so far. Obviously not much of a bar to leap over, but it'll be lasting for over a week. This could mean that it's got enough time to pace itself heading towards an actual punchline; and, really, it should mean that. If there's no end payoff to a week of, presumably, build-up, not only will that be three (four, in some people's opinion) failed stories in a row, but it would make it seem like even ones that go for longer aren't any good and that the whole concept is stupid to some people.

For what it's worth, it's by Zack Morrison who is a wonderful artist and a hella funny dude. He also is quite experienced in writing comics about kids having wacky adventures, so if anyone's gonna do this right, it'd probably be him.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Let's just have Zack draw a week's worth of pages of character expressions, that'll be good.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oh man, that's actually a clever reveal, hah.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I would like to point out that the harlequin wears Crocker's colors, probably in reference to Jane's transformation in the canon material.

Bec is conspicuosly absent from the prototypes Karkat is talking about and it was he that made the boss invincible. I guess they will reveal that in the next page.

Apart from that, Karkat confirms his position as the best exposition fairy.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 24, 2014

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

paradoxGentleman posted:

I would like to point out that the harlequin wears Crocker's colors, probably in reference to Jane's transformation in the canon material.

Bec is conspicuosly absent from the prototypes Karkat is talking about and it was he that made the boss invincible. I guess they will reveal that in the next page.

Apart from that, Karkat confirms his position as the best exposition fairy.

Jack was already wearing the ring by the time Bec was prototyped. But I think playing continuity cop here is just going to end in tears.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Jack hasn't put the ring on yet; I was thinking that it would be revealed that he is actually significantly less powerful without any arms.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

frozentreasure posted:

Jack hasn't put the ring on yet; I was thinking that it would be revealed that he is actually significantly less powerful without any arms.

I wonder what happens when he puts the ring on. He won't have any arms - would it just plop to the floor?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

siotle posted:

I wonder what happens when he puts the ring on. He won't have any arms - would it just plop to the floor?

If we're lucky, it'll turn into a toe ring. If we're not.. well, Tumblr will be happy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cabbit posted:

If we're lucky, it'll turn into a toe ring. If we're not.. well, Tumblr will be happy.
It's possible that John putting the armless mannequin in was actually better for Jack. The lack of arms on it doesn't necessarily mean that Jack is now armless, after all some of the other prototyped things had limbs. The fact that the mannequin is limbless isn't really a defining factor: all it means is that there is undefined potential. When it was prototyped with the one arm, that potential was shut off and the one arm became a defining factor of it. Schrodinger's arm, if you will.

So it could be that the arm getting knocked off means that prototyped Jack now has two arms with no repercussions, or it could be that he now has tentacle arms from the cat, or maybe he just has wings, or it could be that he has no arms because ha ha that'd be funny.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Those are some of the best Karkat faces. Definitely OK with Homestuck as told by Zach.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Cabbit posted:

As loathe as I am to do it, I'm going to have to ask someone to explain this joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

As loathe as I am to do it, I'm going to have to ask someone to explain this joke.

Think of the kinds of things Tumblr likes to imagine about every single intellectual property they enjoy. Then think of a place you could potentially wear a ring that is neither a finger nor a toe. You're welcome :tipshat: