Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Panzeh posted:

Now i'm thinking of a fantasy game set in like the loving fantasy 80s instead of fantasy 1200 or whatever. God damnit.

I've actually been thinking about what a bitchin mechwarrior game you could make with this engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Jet Age posted:

I've actually been thinking about what a bitchin mechwarrior game you could make with this engine.

Someone on SA was making a pretty sweet Mechwarrior/Battletech mod for Men of War a few years ago but I don't think it ever got finished.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I want a Warhammer 40K reskin for Red Dragon. Replace botes with titans as needed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's not go down this road. :ohdear:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Panzeh posted:

Now i'm thinking of a fantasy game set in like the loving fantasy 80s instead of fantasy 1200 or whatever. God damnit.

This is actually 100% what i think of Wargame.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Still think a WW2 game in the engine would kick rear end so long as you figured out a way to do towed units and some form of entrenchment. Hell, you could even fix the map scaling so tanks weren't technically 50-60m long.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That thread is just a gold mine: http://www.controller.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=10072&Manu=MIKOYAN&setype=1 lawwwwll

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Think you linked the wrong thing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mazz posted:

Still think a WW2 game in the engine would kick rear end so long as you figured out a way to do towed units and some form of entrenchment. Hell, you could even fix the map scaling so tanks weren't technically 50-60m long.

Eugen should just do a dlc of a world war 2 campaign that just uses the pre-existing cold-war units. I-E re-enact Barbarossa with Leo2s and T-80s or midway with F-4s vs F-14s.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I fully support a minor expansion that introduces tactical nuclear weapons to the familiar units and gameplay elements. Did you know the US fielded nuclear-tipped air to air missiles?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Arglebargle III posted:

I fully support a minor expansion that introduces tactical nuclear weapons to the familiar units and gameplay elements. Did you know the US fielded nuclear-tipped air to air missiles?

AIM-26 Super Falcons. If they are anything like their baby AIM-4 brothers, you'd probably nuke yourself.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Speaking of crappy missiles has anyone done the maths on old IR missiles on elite planes vs new IR missiles on rookies? My subjective experience is that AIM-9Bs are pretty useless but not sure if that is backed up by evidence.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

God drat that is one hell of a deal for an airworthy mig-21.

Played a match earlier against 4 goons with comandante, who I think is a goon, and 2 pubbies on my team. They held the field early on until our team pulled an amazing comeback.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=85221162926920940295

*OH! did anyone actually get to finish the game where each team had 200k cash monies to start with?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I never looked but drat, yeah, look at that. The price of a luxury car for a rapidly-approaching-antique jet fighter.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

Armory Real(INGAME dispersion)
9100 350
7280 280
6370 245
5460 210
4550 175
3640 140
3185 122.5
2730 105
910 35

The golden rule of WarGame is that the armoury is loving lying to you, always. :cripes: Why the gently caress don't they just put the actual numbers in instead of some bullshit ones is beyond me...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

^^^^

Good work again. Are you just reading game files or what?

That MiG-21 is advertised as having "ample luggage space in the nose" which means they removed the radar. :qq: Actually that's probably not a bad thing, having a Soviet fire control radar flying around is probably a bad idea.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 24, 2014

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Prawned linked it earlier. But here is the recording of us playing against a 4 US player team stack with our silly helicopter gimmick. Trigger warning: Drunk nerds on mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQi7UyyHzf0

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

^^^^

Yeah, I'm saying fuckit and ripping everything from the game files manually at this point since that's the only way to get accurate information quickly right now.

Power Crystals, Shan and Hubis, get that newfangled exporting, web page and whatevs happening already! :argh:

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Arglebargle III posted:

^^^^

That MiG-21 is advertised as having "ample luggage space in the nose" which means they removed the radar. :qq: Actually that's probably not a bad thing, having a Soviet fire control radar flying around is probably a bad idea.

Ya, if you accidentally locked on to someone equipped with a radar warning receiver you would probably get in a poo poo load of trouble very quick.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Is the armory information auto-derived from unit data, or is it separate entries?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Is the armory information auto-derived from unit data, or is it separate entries?

Derived from data as far as I know, they just gently caress around with it in stupid ways, like RoF seems to use the FX rate as a multiplier or something, which is why you get stuff like vulcans that look like and report that they fire fast but actually fire really loving slowly.

edit: disperssion is pretty simply multiplied by 26 for all values apparently.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

An interesting tidbit from the pubbie forums:

quote:

By the way, I do remember everyone here that you can view the deck of all players involved in a replay. You open the replay in a text editor and look for the PlayerDeckContent strings. The code you'll find there is the one you can import to get a deck.

So you can actually find out "what the gently caress did I just get stomped by?"

Edit:

quote:

edit: disperssion is pretty simply multiplied by 26 for all values apparently.

Seems like they hosed up the application of it then, but were wanting it to be the "actual values".

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 24, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mazz posted:

I want this pretty bad

Other things that would be cool: low intensity conflict with super low tech and improvised stuff, maybe with modern stuff available with super low availability

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Some very quick in game testing on those dispersion numbers...

9100/26=350 @ hardened =315
Results:
Cor. Rad: 320m
Uncor. Rad: 630m

3640/26=140@ hardened=126
Results:
cor. Rad: 135m
Uncor. rad: 270m

SUSPECT: Dispersion/26*Vet ≈ corrected radius
Uncorrected seems to be approximately doubled.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think ROF might be (as someone else mentioned) a way to satisfy the ~~military experts~~ on their forums while balancing the way they would like to. It makes plenty of sense for a a vulcan not to actually have 1,100 rounds per minute ROF because it would break the netcode. Meanwhile the forum warriors can be seen to argue over such things as the RoF for assault rifles based on the thickness of their barrels (C8 should fire faster than CAR-15 because of its barrel profile! <--actual thing a pubbie has said).

VVV Haha YES

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 24, 2014

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Panzeh posted:

Twilight 2000

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I had the computer game of that. I think i got shot and quit after 30 minutes. Much prefer BLOOD DRAGON.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Mortabis posted:

I think ROF might be (as someone else mentioned) a way to satisfy the ~~military experts~~ on their forums while balancing the way they would like to. It makes plenty of sense for a a vulcan not to actually have 1,100 rounds per minute ROF because it would break the netcode. Meanwhile the forum warriors can be seen to argue over such things as the RoF for assault rifles based on the thickness of their barrels (C8 should fire faster than CAR-15 because of its barrel profile! <--actual thing a pubbie has said).

I don't mind them fudging numbers to make them look more real so much, it's just that they do it so inconsistently. It should appear to fire 4x faster than most of the best pieces but actually shoot 1/3rd as fast or whatever.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jarmak posted:

I want this pretty bad

Other things that would be cool: low intensity conflict with super low tech and improvised stuff, maybe with modern stuff available with super low availability

It would probably have to involve improved infantry combat but i'm down with a ww2 or otherwise low tech version of wargame.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wargame: Gettysburg

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

All right, who gave Michael Jackson an Uzi?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

They won't get either but there's some other junk in the pipeline that should at least make it a really fun faction to play. There's a whole bunch of funny Swedish prototypes, of course, plus even more infantry options. There still won't be AA choppers, SEAD or heavy tanks but you should be able to make up for it by being at least decent in most other categories.

What, no Strv 122? Isn't there other stuff from '97 in the game?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

What, no Strv 122? Isn't there other stuff from '97 in the game?

The Strv 122 is the Leo 2, right? The Devs argue that Germany wouldn't have sold its MBT to other countries if the Cold War had gone on (or at least not as cheaply as they did OTL, which means it is a lot less attractive).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Well, that, and out of time frame units need to add interesting and new capability to be considered and added at Eugen's discretion. Which the Strv 122 doesn't, since it's just a bigger Centurion :downs:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

pedro0930 posted:

Well, that, and out of time frame units need to add interesting and new capability to be considered and added at Eugen's discretion. Which the Strv 122 doesn't, since it's just a bigger Centurion :downs:

Like the Comanche. :sigh:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Xerxes17 posted:

Power Crystals, Shan and Hubis, get that newfangled exporting, web page and whatevs happening already! :argh:

Hey I've been waiting to see if there were any requests for additional formatting or different formats or whatever and so far I've heard nothing. You don't want me to design a website though, I have the artistic skills of a blind man with Parkinson's.

I probably should clean up that thing a bit more and post it to the modding part of the official forums, though.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

They won't get either but there's some other junk in the pipeline that should at least make it a really fun faction to play. There's a whole bunch of funny Swedish prototypes, of course, plus even more infantry options. There still won't be AA choppers, SEAD or heavy tanks but you should be able to make up for it by being at least decent in most other categories.

So are we getting Strv2000 then?
Also recon and AA variants of Strf40?
Gripen and Archer?
Maybe Bamse? Sweden should at least get Viggen with RBS15.

Since Strv122 and Leopard 2A4 is out, I am assuming both BMP-1 and MT-LBs are out as well. Although they are hardly needed in a deck with Pbv302 and Strf40.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
No Strv 122 means Scandinavia is the only coalition without high-end tanks. I hope there'll be enough new stuff in other categories that it won't matter. Gripen didn't enter service until '97 either, so I guess that's out too.

Kustjägare '90 with AK5s? :getin:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Dezztroy posted:

No Strv 122 means Scandinavia is the only coalition without high-end tanks. I hope there'll be enough new stuff in other categories that it won't matter. Gripen didn't enter service until '97 either, so I guess that's out too.

Kustjägare '90 with AK5s? :getin:

That '97 thing is pretty arbitrary, especially for minors, the Gripen is probably in. The Leo 2 thing is different, really dumb that none will get it too (the Danes totally should if not the Swedes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Panzarskytte '90 and Hemvarnsmen '90 that blow all other infantry out of the water. :getin:

• Locked thread