Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I played through all of dark souls with the halberd, will this power stance thing let me play with two halberds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gaz-L posted:

Either. You can dual wield most weapon classes, and even mix and match some. You can roll with two daggers, or two gently caress-off giantdad clubs.

Excellent. One more question, I know there's a new stat or two, but has stat allocation and numbers changed significantly since the first game? In other words, if I wanted to be pure Strength, would it stop at 40 then everything else in End and Vit (or is it Vigor now) leaving me with tonnes to spare?

This will decide if I want to try Strength on its own, or Strength/Faith or Str/Dex or something first :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 24, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Leadthumb posted:

I played through all of dark souls with the halberd, will this power stance thing let me play with two halberds?

Yes, but again, you'll need to hit 1.5x the base requirements for equipping them.

E:

Ciaphas posted:

Excellent. One more question, I know there's a new stat or two, but has stat allocation and numbers changed significantly since the first game? In other words, if I wanted to be pure Strength, would it stop at 40 then everything else in End and Vit (or is it Vigor now) leaving me with tonnes to spare?

This will decide if I want to try Strength on its own, or Strength/Faith or Str/Dex or something first :shobon:

They've changed stat allocation a ton. For example, Endurance is now basically just Stamina, whereas Equip Load is on Vitality, and END has a soft cap of 20 (stamina will keep increasing past 20 END, but at 1 point per level, so it's really slow.)

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 24, 2014

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Ciaphas posted:

There's a good writeup on stat effects including breakpoints and soft caps here.

Spoiler for mechanics info, in case you'd rather discover this all yourself:
Vigor is most effective up to 20, still good up to 50, and drops off sharply after that.
Endurance gives 2 stamina per point up to 20 END and 1 per point after.
Vitality has breakpoints for equip load per point at 30, 50, and 70.
Attunement is complicated, there are separate breakpoints for getting spell slots, getting additional casts per spell, and raising cast speed/agility.
Strength/Dexterity soft cap for damage bonuses seems to still be at 40.
Adaptability is also a little weird, because it doesn't soft cap itself, but Agility has a soft cap at 110. I think based on what I've read, 38 ADP or 30 ADP + 30 Attunement gets you at or near 110 Agility?
Intelligence/Faith soft cap for damage also sounds like it's 40, but apparently the shared Fire bonus and Hexes work a little differently, not clear to me.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If I want to basically go full physical the first time around, what class starts me out with the lowest amount of stat points tied up in int/faith/attun?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I still can't believe that Vigor and Vitality do what they do. Why didn't they swap the names?! It hurts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

If I want to basically go full physical the first time around, what class starts me out with the lowest amount of stat points tied up in int/faith/attun?

Bandit. 9 points split between Fth/Int which is the lowest any class has, and the lowest Att of any class at 2.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Going to start my first PC playthrough as Bandit, mainly because I like the look of some of their starter gear and it isn't otherwise available until a good ways in. Speccing for dual Cesti, which apparently rocks now, plus melee-oriented Miracles like Force, and probably gonna be (covenant) a Sunbro, at least most of the time! Jolly cooperation and merry fisticuffs, all over Drangleic!

Minor item-related thing for multiplayer: There is a ring you can buy from the adorable cat you meet in Majula that ups your chances of seeing summon signs of friends.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Knight is a close second with 13 points between Att/Int/Fth. So I'd say Knight if you think you'll want more Str in the end, or Bandit if you want more Dex or a full quality build (Str+Dex).

Edit: Now I'm second-guessing myself and thinking I might make a Knight first. Great physical stats and a nice weapon seems like it'll make the early game a little easier. I usually don't have a big interest in magic on a first playthrough, so that's a few extra stat points in relevant stats compared to Explorer. But all those items :(

Nibble fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 24, 2014

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
If I hook up a DS4 controller, will I get the right button prompts? My 360 controller is having issues (right bumper doesn't always work)

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo
Anyone know of coupon codes/deals to get DS2 on PC at a discount? I was gonna use the Easter GMG one but its expired.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Danith posted:

If I hook up a DS4 controller, will I get the right button prompts? My 360 controller is having issues (right bumper doesn't always work)

Nope.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Bandit also starts with only 2 points in adaptability though, which is pretty horrible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Leadthumb posted:

The halberd powerstance moveset is atrociously bad, but you sure as shootin' can do it. :getin:

Almost any weapon in the game can be powerstanced, from daggers to spears to halberds to greatswords.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I've avoided almost all information about this game so far, so I'm looking forward to jumping in blind and killing everything by swinging a zweihander at it. It was good enough for DS1, it should be good enough for DS2.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've avoided almost all information about this game so far, so I'm looking forward to jumping in blind and killing everything by swinging a zweihander at it. It was good enough for DS1, it should be good enough for DS2.

You're going to want to check out this thing called the greatsword (yes that's the weapon's name). You find it relatively early on and it's the Zwei's big brother.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 24, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Good luck, you can only get the Zwei in two areas that are the last on their paths. As the guy above says, the Greatsword is available much earlier and it's also way better.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Bandit also starts with only 2 points in adaptability though, which is pretty horrible.

True, and stat allocation might get a bit messy as a result. But, eh. Looks > Effiency. :v:

Also, gotta love the intelligence score of one.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Genocyber posted:

Good luck, you can only get the Zwei in two areas that are the last on their paths. As the guy above says, the Greatsword is available much earlier and it's also way better.

Also good. I assumed since I saw someone using a zwei in an early beta video that it would probably be something you could acquire early-game like in DS1 where it was just a quick trip over to the graveyard. As long as there's a big ridiculous sword of some sort to replace it I'll be happy.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mazed posted:

True, and stat allocation might get a bit messy as a result. But, eh. Looks > Effiency. :v:

Also, gotta love the intelligence score of one.

An important merchant requires 3 intelligence to unlock.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

An important merchant requires 3 intelligence to unlock.

Wait, which one was that? I know the sorcery guy needs you to have 8, but psh sorcery is babies.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mazed posted:

Wait, which one was that? I know the sorcery guy needs you to have 8, but psh sorcery is babies.

Straid, the Bastille boss soul trader.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Straid, the Bastille boss soul trader.

Oh, that would figure.

If there ends up being something I really want, that's what Soul Vessels are for (will probably bump it up to 8 anyway just to fully populate Majula). Otherwise, though, I sincerely hope he mocks me for my idiocy in that that wonderful way he mocks everyone. :allears:

Incidentally, his voice actor is the same as Frampt's from the first game. The hex trainer is Laurentius, and the pyromancy trainer is Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles. :buddy:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
If any brits missed the GMG discount you can still grab it at ShopTo for £28. I got my steam key from them earlier today.

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/download/DWNLD34675-dark-souls-ii-preorder

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Danith posted:

Pretty sure modding that in will be a cinch. People did it for the first one.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Noxville posted:

It's fine. It never goes below 50%, there's something you can use to limit the effect (and thing you can abuse to prevent it entirely).

This is somewhat wrong! If you are a sinner, you can actually go as low as 10% if your sin level is really high.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just wanted to point out that this Steam group exists and a bunch of old DkS1 PC hands and people who are double dipping will (probably) be in there to answer questions come launch. Stop by, hang out, occasionally get harassed by pubbies who think we're dishonorable (true story).

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Orv posted:

I just wanted to point out that this Steam group exists and a bunch of old DkS1 PC hands and people who are double dipping will (probably) be in there to answer questions come launch. Stop by, hang out, occasionally get harassed by pubbies who think we're dishonorable (true story).

An additional resource people may not know about is #FROMGoons on SynIRC. :)

Magna
Sep 3, 2007

Hamsalad posted:

Anyone know of coupon codes/deals to get DS2 on PC at a discount? I was gonna use the Easter GMG one but its expired.

I just bought it on GMG for 25% off using J4XXU2-JTFTLL-8ENDXZ.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So basically the starting classes matter for longer this time around? It seemed like in DS1 you just picked whatever you wanted for starting gear (generally pyro since he starts level 1 and the glove is the last thing you get gear-wise) whereas looking at the classes starting stats vs. DS1's classes, it seems like the gaps are wide enough that if you wanted to say, make a bandit or something into a caster, it'd be more work than just rolling a caster. Or caster trying to go melee, etc.

I'm not sure what to do. I might just do a knight or whatever. Had plenty of fun with a vanilla-as-gently caress longsword in DS1, maybe I'll just on something reliable to carry me through DS2 again.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sober posted:

So basically the starting classes matter for longer this time around? It seemed like in DS1 you just picked whatever you wanted for starting gear (generally pyro since he starts level 1 and the glove is the last thing you get gear-wise) whereas looking at the classes starting stats vs. DS1's classes, it seems like the gaps are wide enough that if you wanted to say, make a bandit or something into a caster, it'd be more work than just rolling a caster. Or caster trying to go melee, etc.

I'm not sure what to do. I might just do a knight or whatever. Had plenty of fun with a vanilla-as-gently caress longsword in DS1, maybe I'll just on something reliable to carry me through DS2 again.

Just play as a Deprived and choose what kind of fighting style to play as after that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Knight starts with a broadsword and without a shield.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I keep changing my mind on how to roll my first time out, personally. Are spells and such more engaging this time around? I thought at first I'd try someone that can do all four classes of magic, because hexes look rad, but not being melee is pretty boring except for the odd pyromancy in DS1 :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's either Explorer or Deprived for me. I'm a sucker for LVL1 stuff, but maybe the gadgets will win me over. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I keep changing my mind on how to roll my first time out, personally. Are spells and such more engaging this time around? I thought at first I'd try someone that can do all four classes of magic, because hexes look rad, but not being melee is pretty boring except for the odd pyromancy in DS1 :(

Hexes are pretty great, but to get the most out of them, you need to really build your character from the ground up intent on it. As for sorcery, miracles, and pyromancy, they all have spells which serve as nice complements to melee fighting, as well as the usual set of long and short-range destructiveness, but the melee combat is wholeheartedly recommended as a primary focus.

Something to keep in mind: You can respec now. The item which allows it is limited, maybe six or seven (?) per playthrough found, but you can very safely try out all spellcasting schools, plus whatever flavor of weaponry, by making use of them.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
In Dark Souls I really started to enjoy playing light armor after my first character which ran around in Black Iron.

Maybe it was just me getting better at the game over repeated playthoughs but by the end it seemed like usefulness of the added maneuverability of light armor far outweighed the damage reduction of heavier armor. Is this still the case in DS2?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Heavy armor makes a huge difference this time around, IF upgraded.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Being able to avoid hit is usually better than reducing damage after being hit, yes. True Dark Souls players know that the best armor is whatever you think looks the coolest/funniest though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Namely defense actually has noticeable, significant effects on the amount of damage you take. Meanwhile, poise is slightly broken. (In PvP. In PvE, those are actually reversed: defense doesn't matter as much, but poise works.)

You still don't need either. If you can dodge perfectly then taking less damage obviously doesn't do anything. But most human beings aren't bizarre Souls-Robots, so they're still a good investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Starting blind as a Deprived, everything else is for casuls. :colbert: