Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I need to watch more of those Scott Manley videos. I'm going in blind, and want to play vanilla until I get to Mun. I didn't realize maneuver modes were a thing. Like, I saw videos and pictures showing the feature, but didn't realize that wasn't a mod. That's gonna make this game so much easier. Also, yeah, made orbit with a single stage rocket. Next goal: Munshot! (Orbit and return anyways). I'll do it the efficient nerdy way, and then I'll do it the Glorious Juche Kerban way, with a KerbDong that is three times bigger than previous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Tried to do a flyby of the Mun using the smallest rocket I could get away with. Getting to the moon was easy even though various "inefficiencies" may have eaten up a little to much fuel. Better Atmosphere gives the Mun a tenuous atmosphere I don't really like:

Getting away from the Mun proved problematic. It really didn't want to let Jeb go home:

Giving one final burn got him nearly there, nearly:

But then you're trapped 11 thousand kilometers from home, CAA just isn't an option; you got to nut up and do some of that "right stuff" stuff:

Yeehaa and science!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

YF19pilot posted:

I need to watch more of those Scott Manley videos. I'm going in blind, and want to play vanilla until I get to Mun. I didn't realize maneuver modes were a thing. Like, I saw videos and pictures showing the feature, but didn't realize that wasn't a mod. That's gonna make this game so much easier. Also, yeah, made orbit with a single stage rocket. Next goal: Munshot! (Orbit and return anyways). I'll do it the efficient nerdy way, and then I'll do it the Glorious Juche Kerban way, with a KerbDong that is three times bigger than previous!

Scott Manley's videos are alright, but you really need to see the stuff put out by illectro here on the forums.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DSauer posted:

Getting away from the Mun proved problematic. It really didn't want to let Jeb go home:

It looks like you were trying to burn prograde to the Mun's orbit, which will always have a good chance of bringing you back within its SOI. If you burn retrograde (to Kerbin, not your own orbit; that'll just kill you), it'll kill your velocity and drop you straight back to Kerbin using much less dV. Basically do this:

and you're golden.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The way I've found to think of Mun and Minmus returns that makes the most sense is to answer this question to yourself: what would you do to get home if the giant hunk of space rock you're standing on wasn't there at all?

Put another way, imagine you are in exactly the same orbit as the Mun, going the same way at the same speed, but 180 degrees around Kerbin from it. Which way would you burn to get home to Kerbin?

Hopefully the answers seem obvious but maybe I didn't explain my thinking very well :shobon:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

3 posted:

It looks like you were trying to burn prograde to the Mun's orbit, which will always have a good chance of bringing you back within its SOI. If you burn retrograde (to Kerbin, not your own orbit; that'll just kill you), it'll kill your velocity and drop you straight back to Kerbin using much less dV. Basically do this:

and you're golden.

This is a very good image outlining what I was trying to describe a couple days ago.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

VanSandman posted:

Thank you!

This is a bit pie-in-the-sky but are you guys considering alternate launch locations ever? It would be pretty cool if you could choose to launch from, say, Duna in freeform mode.

Even just being able to launch from the hidden space center or island airfield once you get to them would be nice. Especially the hidden space center, it would force you to deal with inclination issues.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone have a build of a kethane miner I can steal from them? I need to start mining on Kerbin but I have no idea how to actually mine now that I've finished scanning it.

Also, how to I go from a Hohmann transfer to the moon to orbiting the moon with MechJeb? I totally forget :(

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
FWIW mining on Kerbin isn't a good idea unless you are building a plane to visit all the biomes or something; it's far easier to mine Kethane from the Mün and Minmus. If I used Kethane anymore I'd share my Münar miner, but that was from several ieterations ago.

Burn to the Mün when it appears over Kerbin's horizon, after you migrate to the Mün's SOI burn retrograde at Pe. Am I misinterpreting your question?...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Meat Dimension posted:

FWIW mining on Kerbin isn't a good idea unless you are building a plane to visit all the biomes or something; it's far easier to mine Kethane from the Mün and Minmus. If I used Kethane anymore I'd share my Münar miner, but that was from several ieterations ago.

Burn to the Mün when it appears over Kerbin's horizon, after you migrate to the Mün's SOI burn retrograde at Pe. Am I misinterpreting your question?...

Nope I just got a satellite to orbit Mun and start scanning :getin:. Now to figure out how to build a mining rig.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

mining rig.

Coiner spotted :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Coiner spotted :v:

Hahaha

I mean this

:v:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Haha, we actually had someone suggest that since Kerbals measure data in Mits we should call the currency Mitcoins. If I printed out every email, PM and other messages where people ask me to consider selling KSP for bitcoin I'd be able to wallpaper both my apartments and Squad HQ.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

Haha, we actually had someone suggest that since Kerbals measure data in Mits we should call the currency Mitcoins. If I printed out every email, PM and other messages where people ask me to consider selling KSP for bitcoin I'd be able to wallpaper both my apartments and Squad HQ.

Are you the developer of KSP? :aaa:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Tusen Takk posted:

Are you the developer of KSP? :aaa:

Max, as his avatar rightly says, does public relations work for Squad as his day job.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

Max, as his avatar rightly says, does public relations work for Squad as his day job.

That's pretty cool, actually.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming :v:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Maxmaps posted:

Tell them you'll do it when you get enough requests to cover Minmus. ... on second thought don't, they'd probably give them to you.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Nth Doctor posted:

Scott Manley's videos are alright, but you really need to see the stuff put out by illectro here on the forums.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I take back everything I said about the ion engine. It’s not just for probes.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What pack is the ion engine in? Or is it stock... I've only ever noticed the xenon engine :v: I wanna make a TIE fighter so bad now

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tusen Takk posted:

What pack is the ion engine in? Or is it stock... I've only ever noticed the xenon engine :v: I wanna make a TIE fighter so bad now
Same thing. Ion engine consumes xenon. And electricity.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Same thing. Ion engine consumes xenon. And electricity.

Do you have to have the xenon containers attached to the engine? I wish there was a bigger xenon container other than the dinky one that seems to be meant for a probe :saddowns:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Tusen Takk posted:

Do you have to have the xenon containers attached to the engine? I wish there was a bigger xenon container other than the dinky one that seems to be meant for a probe :saddowns:

That dinky xenon container will last you for a very, very, very long time. There's a larger radial one too.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Fishstick posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcastic.

It is not.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Scott Manley posts here as illectro :ssh:

Were you thinking of Abyssal Lurker?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Xenon works like Monopropellant, it doesn't matter where the tanks are located, the engine will find it anyway.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

They're the same guy.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

They're the same guy.

Thanks for ruining it.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 24, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Geirskogul posted:

They're the same guy.

:thejoke:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Regrettable posted:

Thanks for ruining it.

It wasn't a good enough joke to ruin.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I'm confused. You guys are confusing.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
I have lost my first kerbal :(... during a stupidly bad run mission.

I managed to build a stupidly bad rover, attached it to an even more stupidly built two-stage lander and sent it all to the Mun. After landing and detaching the rover I realized I could not take it out of my spaceship. In the tests made in Kerbal the rover just fell straight to the ground and rested there. In the Mun, it bounced and got entangled between the legs. So I had to move the lander a little bit. At that point the rover rolled away due to a little ground inclination, When i was able to put Bill in the ground the rover was at more than 300 meters from the lander. Yeah...

So it was rover chasing time. I was able to get to the rover, board it and drive it back to the lander, where poor Luson boarded it too. Then it was time to try to get to one anomaly detected from a mapping satellite.

It was fine until I passed the top of a cliff. Then the rover lost its stability and started to roll down the cliff. I was able to unboard Bill, but Luson was ejected from the wrecked rover before I was able to unboard him. Now the game considers Luson a "Heavy Lander Debriss" (Heavy Lander was the name of the ship), so I can do anything with him. His EVA suit light is on, he has that stupid smile at his face, but it is, at al effects, dead.

I wonder if I could send a rescue mission with a grapple unit to bring his corpse back to Kerbin. Perhaps he would even ressucitate if I'm able to land that "rescue mission" and "salvage" it once in the ground.

Anyway, my first try at roving was a complete disaster. And I'm not goit to start to speak about my first plane. It just loses its stability once the wheels are in the air.

So I am limiting myself to rockets and space stations by the time being... :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone made an ornithopter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krlVneoYV5c

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Absolutely amazing! :tipshat:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The claw is awesome, I wonder if it's flexible enough to make a helicopter with it. Only one way to find out...

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Amberskin posted:

[stuff about poor ole yeller]

Hold the waterworks mate, the green vermin are queuing up in droves to get in your flying deathtraps. They desire nothing less than to die messily for your temporary amusement. Hell they even come back from the grave to do it again for you!

Kill them, kill lots of them, drop them from orbit and watch the sad little puff of green smoke. Build your next rover with rocket assist and bigger wheels, drive faster and if it gets a bit ropy, slap the rockets on and have a think about it while you float back down. Or just watch them crash and send another, whatever seems most fun ;)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

That's impressive.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How do I mod out Jeb, Bill & Bob? I'm tired of seeing their boring, smug annoying faces on every flight.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Just stick 'em in a three man capsule and send them on a solar escape trajectory. Never end the flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

Just stick 'em in a three man capsule and send them on a solar escape trajectory. Never end the flight.

Can't. Life support mod implemented. They'll just die and (eventually) respawn like very annoying zombies every time.

• Locked thread