Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Lane drifting in a double left turn lane is like my biggest nightmare. Can't even count how many close calls I've had. Last one I had I was actually in the outside lane, and the 800 year old corpse driving the Hyundai SUV not only completely ignored my 30 second horn honk, but she continued to drive directly down the center line hogging both lanes for another 100 yards or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

Pretty sure it is neither safe nor legal to turn right if there is a bicyclist in the lane / on the shoulder on your passenger side..? At least here (Vancouver) you'd be held responsible for the accident.

He would have only hit me because he ran a stop sign he was legally supposed to stop for, completely his fault. It would have happened today if I wasn't paying attention to my mirrors.

I know this isn't the case everywhere but around here road cyclists are giant assholes. Probably because rich people in spandex on $5,000+ bikes outnumber people that just ride for fun or commute on bikes by a good bit.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

SFH1989 posted:

I know this isn't the case everywhere but around here road cyclists are giant assholes. Probably because rich people in spandex on $5,000+ bikes outnumber people that just ride for fun or commute on bikes by a good bit.

This has been posted before, but needs to be posted again because of this incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

So wait. If I'm stopped at a light and turning right, and a cyclist decides to pass me on the right with or without a lane, they have right of way? I can totally see that if they're stopped with me, but if they're coming up along a line of stopped cars?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

you ate my cat posted:

So wait. If I'm stopped at a light and turning right, and a cyclist decides to pass me on the right with or without a lane, they have right of way? I can totally see that if they're stopped with me, but if they're coming up along a line of stopped cars?

If they have a cycle lane, and they stop at the light, then they have the right of way and you have to stop and wait to turn until they move on. If they don't have a cycle lane, then in most places they should merge into your lane and behave like a car.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

If they have a cycle lane, and they stop at the light, then they have the right of way and you have to stop and wait to turn until they move on. If they don't have a cycle lane, then in most places they should merge into your lane and behave like a car.

If they have a lane then no doubt. Even if they're stopped on the shoulder they can have RoW. I've had a few situations at a couple intersections near me where they come flying up past cars stopped at a light that just turned green where cars are signaling right turns. That just seems like you want to get hit.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Our solution to prevent bicycles from blocking a right turn at a light when they are on the same bit of pavement as you is to just completely block them from doing so by pulling up against the kurb as you approach the intersection, even if it is marked as a bicycle lane. Combined with your turn signal this gets the message across amazingly well. They will go across the back and pull up next to your driver's side door.

No fuss, no anger, everyone gets along.

(Holland btw)

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Over here even if they do not have right of way, so long as you can't prove that they essentially hit your car on purpose, while you did everything in your power to prevent an accident, you are still liable.
There's a stupid law (art. 185 WVW) which is meant to protect the "weak" in traffic from the "strong". However in practice it means that if you're driving anything that has a legal obligation to be insured for third party liability and you're involved in an accident where the other party is not legally obligated to have insurance, your insurance has to foot the bill. Regardless of who was at fault.

Ofcourse you can try to sue a bicyclist in civil court over damages to your car or motorbike, but the odds of actually getting any money out of that are slim to none at best. Because even if a civil court says they have to pay, doesn't mean they actually will and you won't have to make a poo poo tonne of expenses trying to recover the damages they caused you.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Need to grab a dash cam. Driving back from grabbing lunch a FedEx truck turns right and enters the middle lane of a three lane street as I get the green light to go through. Queue back gate on truck going up as he blasts through without stopping and packages flying out into the street. Truck next to me slowed down so I could merge into the left lane in the middle of the intersection while I watched the SUV behind me try to slalom through the packages and flatten two of them.

Later back in the middle lane on the same street the right line slows to a crawl due to a backup getting into a restaurant parking lot. Two cars to my right fail to see this and swerve into my lane. Luckily the left lane was clear, slam on breaks, pull to the left a bit to avoid swapping paint and lay on horn. All this within a quarter mile on Belt Line Rd: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9535686,-96.8214491,455m/data=!3m1!1e3

These people I share the road with.....

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Lane drifting in a double left turn lane is like my biggest nightmare. Can't even count how many close calls I've had. Last one I had I was actually in the outside lane, and the 800 year old corpse driving the Hyundai SUV not only completely ignored my 30 second horn honk, but she continued to drive directly down the center line hogging both lanes for another 100 yards or so.

I don't know if it was a lane drift, or an intentional dick move, but I just got cut off by a contractor van changing lanes into my lane in a double left turn. Generally speaking, contractor vans are the biggest violators of everything on the road.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know if it was a lane drift, or an intentional dick move, but I just got cut off by a contractor van changing lanes into my lane in a double left turn. Generally speaking, contractor vans are the biggest violators of everything on the road.

We had some contractor karma a ways back.. parked his van on a slight incline, didn't set the parking brake. Ended up rolling across a parking lot and hit another contractor's brand new car, ripping the bumper off.

Wasn't even a steep slope.. calling it a 2% grade would be generous. Prior to that it would have been tough to convince me that the parking brake would ever be useful.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

xzzy posted:

Prior to that it would have been tough to convince me that the parking brake would ever be useful.

You were clearly very spoiled by cars with high static compression, and working parking pauls.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

SocketSeven posted:

You were clearly very spoiled by cars with high static compression, and working parking pauls.

and/or lived in a city without hills. Having lived in seattle for so long, I have had multiple people call me before complaining that they could not get their car out of park since they didn't think parking brakes were useful and were on one of the many steep hills around here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Today, I watched a guy park way too close to another car in an otherwise empty lot, and slam his door right into it as he was getting out :psyduck:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

KozmoNaut posted:

Today, I watched a guy park way too close to another car in an otherwise empty lot, and slam his door right into it as he was getting out :psyduck:

I've left notes on the victim's cars when I saw that happen. Make/mode/plate #l of offender, time of accident, my phone # if they needed a statement. Seriously, gently caress those people.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

El Jebus posted:

I've left notes on the victim's cars when I saw that happen. Make/mode/plate #l of offender, time of accident, my phone # if they needed a statement. Seriously, gently caress those people.

My coworker watched a guy hit another car in a transit parking lot, so he left a note like that. Then as he was leaving the guy who hit the car came back and took the note off the victim's car and continued to stare my coworker down, daring him to come back and do it again.

So he just called the police and reported a hit and run in progress with physical description, car description, full license plate and current location. The victim came back to a nice note from the police asking him to please contact them regarding the damage to his car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 22, 2014

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

nsaP posted:

This is my attitude when riding my motorcycle except I consider all drivers 'impaired'.

Stop posting.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Alighieri posted:

Later back in the middle lane on the same street the right line slows to a crawl due to a backup getting into a restaurant parking lot. Two cars to my right fail to see this and swerve into my lane. Luckily the left lane was clear, slam on breaks, pull to the left a bit to avoid swapping paint and lay on horn. All this within a quarter mile on Belt Line Rd: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9535686,-96.8214491,455m/data=!3m1!1e3

Belt Line is full of loving idiots.

I used to deliver for the PJ's just down the street from there (at Preston). So many near misses every time I pulled out of the parking lot.... followed by near misses and idiots at every intersection. :argh:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Have you taken a look at the Fiamm Freeway Blaster? They're like $20 and obscenely loud. 130dB is soundly (ha) in the "not loving around" category.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Freeway-Blaster-Horn/dp/B000DINKPQ

That'e one of two that I would need - you linked the low tone.

I've snagged those from AutoZone before, they're pretty crap all around.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 23, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Tsuru posted:

Our solution to prevent bicycles from blocking a right turn at a light when they are on the same bit of pavement as you is to just completely block them from doing so by pulling up against the kurb as you approach the intersection, even if it is marked as a bicycle lane. Combined with your turn signal this gets the message across amazingly well. They will go across the back and pull up next to your driver's side door.

No fuss, no anger, everyone gets along.

(Holland btw)

We have these stopping zone things, they work pretty well when busses don't stop in them (Top Gear was right, busses are the problem with all cycling in London) also they mean the cyclists can pull ahead of traffic when the lights turned green and not get crushed under the wheels of trucks turning left.

Highway Code https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183 posted:

Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times, e.g. if the junction ahead is blocked. If your vehicle has proceeded over the first white line at the time that the signal goes red, you MUST stop at the second white line, even if your vehicle is in the marked area. Allow cyclists time and space to move off when the green signal shows.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10, 36(1) & 43(2)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some moron decided to sit at a yield sign for several minutes today blocking me because they wanted to pull directly out into the left lane from a dead stop instead of pulling out into the right lane.

The right lane was clear the entire time. It was the one I wanted. Had they been not-retarded, they could have pulled out into the right lane at the speed of traffic LIKE YOU ARE loving SUPPOSED TO and then easily merged into the left lane.

For fucks sake cut up your license you lazy idiot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I love it when the right lane is clear and they don't pull out into it, waiting for the left lane to clear. Once it does, they make the turn... into the right lane. Why were you waiting???

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Uthor posted:

I love it when the right lane is clear and they don't pull out into it, waiting for the left lane to clear. Once it does, they make the turn... into the right lane. Why were you waiting???

Somebody probably blew the horn at them once when they pulled out into the right lane as they were trying to change from the left lane to the right lane mid-intersection.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'll do that sometimes, but only because the turn might be weird and I'm not confident I won't cross into the other lane, even temporarily.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
If I don't have someone behind me I will do this as well. Florida drivers (and the student drivers ESPECIALLY) are invariably assholes, incompetent, don't even register seeing my Miata, or all of the above. However, if I have someone behind me I get the gently caress out of the way and bully my way over.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I'll do that sometimes, but only because the turn might be weird and I'm not confident I won't cross into the other lane, even temporarily.

I do it because I don't trust people in the left lane not to suddenly change into the right as I make a turn since that happens all the time around here.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Uthor posted:

I've had my fair share of close calls of some moron changing lanes at the intersection, oblivious to the fact there are people turning from the perpendicular road.

If there's a big enough gap that I can be in the lane completely before the car from the other lane gets there, I'll go ahead, but I don't like just pulling out with a car right beside me. Also if the traffic is slow enough, but I don't like to do it at 35+.

This also relates to one of my pet peeves: I am at a stop where there's enough room for a right turn and a left turn simultaneously, and while waiting to turn, some asshat pulls half way into the lane so you can't see anything coming. I guess my method of just pulling up enough that I can see around the back of their car if another car is already there is not dickish enough for most people.

subx fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 23, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Phantasium posted:

I do it because I don't trust people in the left lane not to suddenly change into the right as I make a turn since that happens all the time around here.

What really annoyed me was that we were stopped at a yield sign. If they had simply entered at normal speed this would have been a non issue even with light traffic in the right lane or people randomly jumping into it and they could have then merged over no problem.

But no, a combination of timidity and stupidity resulted in me sitting on my rear end waiting for them to fumblefuck around in the road like a retard.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

subx posted:

This also relates to one of my pet peeves: I am at a stop where there's enough room for a right turn and a left turn simultaneously, and while waiting to turn, some asshat pulls half way into the lane so you can't see anything coming. I guess my method of just pulling up enough that I can see around the back of their car if another car is already there is not dickish enough for most people.

Holy poo poo, I agree; that drives me up the fuckin' wall. I can't see over, or through, your massive tank of an SUV, you stupid oval office. Get a loving clue and don't pull up so far.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Some people think it's a great idea to switch to the far-right lane right before or in the middle of an intersection. If I need to switch to the right lane and I spot somebody trying to pull into the road, logic tells me to merge after passing that car.

GramCracker posted:

Holy poo poo, I agree; that drives me up the fuckin' wall. I can't see over, or through, your massive tank of an SUV, you stupid oval office. Get a loving clue and don't pull up so far.
What ticks me off about this is when I'm pulled up into the crosswalk, prepping for the right turn, and then a truck/SUV making a left pulls up and stops in the middle of the crosswalk. What the gently caress.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I think I blew some driver's mind this morning when I came up to a light that I was going straight at. I saw his blinker come on and made a last-ten-feet adjustment to give him enough room to make the right on red. The look of :unsmith: from the other driver was much like I'd imagine is on the face of a war vet returning from the front for a little R&R.

:unsmith::respek::unsmith: You go, other driver. We'll get through this together.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Beach Bum posted:

I think I blew some driver's mind this morning when I came up to a light that I was going straight at. I saw his blinker come on and made a last-ten-feet adjustment to give him enough room to make the right on red. The look of :unsmith: from the other driver was much like I'd imagine is on the face of a war vet returning from the front for a little R&R.

:unsmith::respek::unsmith: You go, other driver. We'll get through this together.
I would do this more often if people used their signals. :argh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GramCracker posted:

The best is when you roll up another inch to compensate, they roll up another inch. Fuckers.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Stop light inchers are the worst. My mom will move feet at a red light that isn't anywhere near turning green.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
On that tangent, the people who try to anticipate when the light is going to cycle and start pulling through while it's still red, stop again with their rear bumper on the "stop here on red" line and then remain stopped for a good 3-5 seconds after the light cycles green.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Left turn arrow goes green. Oncoming cars had been stopped for a cycle already. I start to go.

A woman in a minivan (surprise!) literally drives through the oncoming red in the clear right lane like nothing was even there.

I just stopped and watched her drive away. If my left arrow was ~1-2 seconds sooner I would probably be in the hospital right now.

One Mom. One Minivan. Zero brakes. Zero brains.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 24, 2014

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

nm posted:

The best is when you roll up another inch to compensate, they roll up another inch. Fuckers.

Oh god, one of the most infuriating driving experiences of my life involved this. It happened at this intersection, where I was trying to merge from eastbound Shawnee Mission Pkwy to northbound on Metcalf. They're both active arterial routes, so it's not uncommon to have to slow/stop at the end of the cloverleaf in order to merge safely. I was doing just that, waiting for traffic to clear so I could merge, when a semi-tractor comes up behind me. Dude was right on my tail, and offset to my left a bit as well, so all I could see in my side mirror or over my shoulder was the front of his fuckin' truck. I pull up a bit to regain my visibility, he follows suit and blocks my view again. This happens a few times before I decide I'll just keep moving and either get lucky and have an opening (what ended up happening) or just continue on through the cloverleaf back on to Shawnee Mission westbound and then turn around and try again.

He wasn't aggressive about it, didn't lay on the horn or sit right behind me revving his engine or anything, so I don't think it was intentional. He just didn't seem to realize that all I could see was the front of his International instead of, ya'know, the traffic I was trying to merge with.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Geoj posted:

On that tangent, the people who try to anticipate when the light is going to cycle and start pulling through while it's still red, stop again with their rear bumper on the "stop here on red" line and then remain stopped for a good 3-5 seconds after the light cycles green.

The worst part is that it's so. Goddamn. Easy. To know when the light is going to change. So loving easy. And yet I watch people jumping on and off the brakes over and over, then being caught completely by surprise when the light changes.

At least around here, when the cross street's light goes red, protected lefts turn green in about 2 seconds. If there's nobody waiting to make a protected turn from the other direction, you should be ready for the straight-ahead lanes to go green too. It's just not that hard to see that the cross street's light is turning orange.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The final ten miles of my committee can be done at 80 most days, but today I was stuck about 20 cars behind a tipper on a flatbed taking up both lanes. Fine I think, resigned to sitting at 40 for the journey.

Some people however, even though they can clearly see nothing is getting past, were jockeying for position like their lives depended on it. My personal favourite was the guy in the green e46 who took off down a residential street that parallels the main route, probably briefly hit 80 them had to e-stop to dive back into traffic when it rejoined, precisely 1 car ahead of where he started.

Countless drovers lunging and diving, brake lights flashing every 5 seconds as they try to maintain the perfect 1 metre gap, meanwhile my average economy drifted up towards 60 as I sat calmly between two trucks with something approaching a sensible gap both behind and in front of me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beach Bum posted:

If I don't have someone behind me I will do this as well. Florida drivers (and the student drivers ESPECIALLY) are invariably assholes, incompetent, don't even register seeing my Miata, or all of the above. However, if I have someone behind me I get the gently caress out of the way and bully my way over.

Nobody here understands a blinker. If I pulled out every right turn right lane opening I'd of been hit a dozen times and I've only been here a month.

Roads are nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The worst part is that it's so. Goddamn. Easy. To know when the light is going to change. So loving easy. And yet I watch people jumping on and off the brakes over and over, then being caught completely by surprise when the light changes.

At least around here, when the cross street's light goes red, protected lefts turn green in about 2 seconds. If there's nobody waiting to make a protected turn from the other direction, you should be ready for the straight-ahead lanes to go green too. It's just not that hard to see that the cross street's light is turning orange.

You would think with roughly an entire generation raised on rhythm games this problem would be self-solving, but no