Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Casual here that played Ds1 as a knight and wore heavy armour and slow rolled everywhere, I intend to continue along the one true path. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Casual here that played Ds1 as a knight and wore heavy armour and slow rolled everywhere, I intend to continue along the one true path. :colbert:

This is the truth. Here is my first kill of Gwyn when DS1 came out on the PC:

Full Havel's, +15 Man-Serpent's Greatsword and Black Knight's Shield. :getin:

* Dex is so much more fun though.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Deprived is actually a really drat good idea for anyone who hasn't made up their mind. SL1, super easy to re-customize when you get the items and feel like doing so, and if you played any other Souls game you can handle the challenge.

Couple gearing tips, though:

Shields - A merchant in Majula sells three: A small shield (Warrior's starter shield), a 90% physical DR medium shield, and a 95% physical DR tower shield that has a high strength requirement. There is also a small shield in a chest down a tunnel behind the cat's house. It's going to be a while before you find any with 100% physical DR, and you should know that those that do have it tend to have higher requirements than they did in the last game.

Weapons - The tutorial area has a dagger, and there's a broken sword and shortsword available not far into the Forest of Fallen Giants, the first area you're likely to visit. Enemies also drop weaponry, and a particular enemy, should you choose to fight it, drops a pretty good straight sword.

Items - Don't forget to talk to the Emerald Herald to get your flask. Lifegems are super handy, and it will not be too long before you can get a virtually infinite supply, but careful early on. Poke around Majula for various other useful things.

Oh yeah, something to bear in mind for Deprived specifically, concerning equipment: Though you're naked after you finish character creation, you'll still have the 'imported' set -- that being the rags you were wearing in the intro -- in your inventory. They're not great stat-wise, but better than nothing.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 24, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Aren't the items the Explorer starts with useful?

Azran fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 24, 2014

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
What's the difference between lifegems and estus anyway?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Explorer has about 20k souls worth of items which is a lot of souls for the first few hours but they are all minor things.

Lifegems are fast to use but heal over time, 5-10 seconds. Estus is slow but heals you in a second or two.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Azran posted:

I hear the headpiece gives a bonus to item find but you can buy the set early on anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Azran posted:

Not really. I mean, the items are useful, but it's not worth picking that start just for 20 lifegems, some ooze, and a lockstone.

Frankie! posted:

What's the difference between lifegems and estus anyway?
Lifegems can be used while moving (albeit at a slow walk, so it's not like you can dodge attacks super easily while healing or anything) but restore health very slowly. Estus makes your guy stop moving and take a chug, but restores health quicker than a lifegem. Lifegems are also a consumable item so you can only use as many as you have in your inventory (you can buy an infinite amount from a shop, they're not too expensive) while an Estus flask has charges basically that you can refill by resting at a bonfire. You start with only 1 estus but if you look around and explore carefully you can have 3-4 by the time you get out of the first area.

Both items "stack" so using multiple lifegems or drinking multiple times from an estus flask will refill your health much faster.

VDay fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 24, 2014

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not really feeling this 1 AM release on steam in Finland.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Man Im looking forward to this. Chopped through the whole game with a greatsword and heavy armour on xbox, ready to do the whole thing again with either hexes or dex weapons and a better frame rate.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

Andrast posted:

Not really feeling this 1 AM release on steam in Finland.

I'm also annoyed. Game releases at the exact time I start my shift for the day. First world problems.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fina posted:

In Dark Souls I really started to enjoy playing light armor after my first character which ran around in Black Iron.

Maybe it was just me getting better at the game over repeated playthoughs but by the end it seemed like usefulness of the added maneuverability of light armor far outweighed the damage reduction of heavier armor. Is this still the case in DS2?

Armor is fairly useful on a new game run(many bosses who would one shot you will two shot you instead, which is all the difference you need) but enemies start dealing so much damage in NG+ that even the heaviest of armor is largely a waste after the first few bosses. Eventually, no matter what, you'll need to know how to dodge.

In PvP, armor is a really huge boon and being a fatass fully upgraded haveldad means you can take a lot of damage.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Game released here early because stores won't be open tomorrow until around 1pm, can't install because it hasn't been released officially yet. :sigh:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

Game released here early because stores won't be open tomorrow until around 1pm, can't install because it hasn't been released officially yet. :sigh:

It should be unlocked on steam at 8am AEST tomorrow, just in time for sword swinging ANZAC celebrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think its pretty cool that they did that though, good on those guys.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Playing Dark Souls 2 is a great way to spend the day if you're not into this nationalistic pro military crap.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Hell its just a great way to spend a day!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I assume starting as a half-naked Zombie (Deprived) is still an option? Not been looking too deeply in to the game as I want the full 'experience'.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

Playing Dark Souls 2 is a great way to spend the day if you're not into this nationalistic pro military crap.

Is there something happening in America I am not aware of?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Please don't disparage my biscuit holiday.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Opens up exactly at midninght today in Spain. For completely unrelated reasons, I have tomorrow off :dance:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does anybody know how long gamecards.eu usually takes to send out their keys?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

IchGestalt posted:

I assume starting as a half-naked Zombie (Deprived) is still an option? Not been looking too deeply in to the game as I want the full 'experience'.

You can start as Deprived, but you'll be human at the start; not hollowed. So for the best experience, jump off a cliff as your first action. The result will surprise you and make you laugh, and confirm that this is a true dark souls game.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I've heard a lot about the whole enemies not respawning thing. Has this been an issue for people? I'm pretty bad at Dark Souls and am worried that this might impact how I play.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Meinberg posted:

I've heard a lot about the whole enemies not respawning thing. Has this been an issue for people? I'm pretty bad at Dark Souls and am worried that this might impact how I play.

Unless you're absolutely awful at reclaiming your bloodstain, it won't kick in to be enough of a burden. Using the white soapstone will help you recover anything you lost.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Meinberg posted:

Its no big deal. Its only if you kill them and even then you have to kill that enemy 12 times for it to stop spawning so you have a pretty big margin of error there. You shouldn't worry about not getting enough souls to level with or anything

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Meinberg posted:

I'm pretty bad at Dark Souls and am worried that this might impact how I play.

Honestly, no. I've found that in general I've had to actively decide to depopulate an area to do so. And you can always get new souls by helping other people even if you did run an area to extinction.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I thought they stopped spawning eventually if they kept killing you, not the other way round? Thats what it felt like in the shaky early stages of my first play through. Either way I didnt find it to be a problem, you dont need to grind in this game.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I preordered from simplycdkeys a couple of weeks ago for the first time but I haven't gotten my key yet. Is that normal? When can I expect to get it?

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Ekster posted:

I preordered from simplycdkeys for the first time but I haven't gotten my key yet. Is that normal? When can I expect to get it?

Some people got their keys this morning, so they are sending them out. Hopefully they'll get to everyone today.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Mordaedil posted:

Is there something happening in America I am not aware of?

Wrong country.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Turra posted:

Some people got their keys this morning, so they are sending them out. Hopefully they'll get to everyone today.

Ah alright, I'll keep a close look on my mailbox then.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

Wrong country.

:saddowns:

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Samopsa posted:

You can start as Deprived, but you'll be human at the start; not hollowed. So for the best experience, jump off a cliff as your first action. The result will surprise you and make you laugh, and confirm that this is a true dark souls game.

Huzzah! Half-naked Zombie fun times return! What a glorious game.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
I woke up at 5:30 this morning to play before class. Imagine my surprise when Steam said the game ain't even unlocking for another 12 hours. What's the deal with that? (And why do I feel like this late unlock is a sign that the developer is scrambling to finish the game?)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The game is unlocking a full day ahead of schedule and either way the game would have gone gold a while ago so I don't know why you think that. :iiam:

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY

Magna posted:

I just bought it on GMG for 25% off using J4XXU2-JTFTLL-8ENDXZ.

Used this green man gaming code and am now pre-loading dark souls II for only 30 English pounds.

Feels good man.

:dukedog:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I woke up at 5:30 this morning to play before class. Imagine my surprise when Steam said the game ain't even unlocking for another 12 hours. What's the deal with that? (And why do I feel like this late unlock is a sign that the developer is scrambling to finish the game?)

Its a sign you don't understand how timezones works.

And/or are a time traveller.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

(And why do I feel like this late unlock is a sign that the developer is scrambling to finish the game?)

I'm sure FROM is just in a flurry of activity right now...
"Hey guys we haven't finished key components to the game we need more time!"
"I've got it! Instead of April 25, we push it forward to April 24! We'll blame it on ANZAC"

Makes total sense right?

Anyways, totally stoked for tonight - Have no idea what to roll though. Might just Strength build it, maybe I'll throw some faith in there too. But I'm also really interested in a dex/ magic build. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Brasseye posted:

I thought they stopped spawning eventually if they kept killing you, not the other way round? Thats what it felt like in the shaky early stages of my first play through. Either way I didnt find it to be a problem, you dont need to grind in this game.

Nope, extinction is based on how many times you kill each enemy.