Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'll never stop laughing at these ridiculous out-of-context comic book covers. How come we don't sell things like that anymore?

DC to Daylight posted:

The funniest thing about this is that the book appears to be perched atop a urinal.

Your sense of humor has an amazing attention to detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Valtaherra posted:

Furassic World

Jurassic Bark, dammit.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Caufman posted:

I'll never stop laughing at these ridiculous out-of-context comic book covers. How come we don't sell things like that anymore?

Honestly a lot of times I can't tell if they're supposed to be parodies or genuine covers.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Foxhound posted:

Honestly a lot of times I can't tell if they're supposed to be parodies or genuine covers.

They're usually real but there's always a thing like it was someone disguised as superman, or superman was doing it to trick a bad guy. It's rarely Superman just trying to kill Aquaman for no reason.

I do love that random reporter Jimmy Olson is on par with Aquaman here.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Foxhound posted:

That one's definitely real. The title story involves an ancient evil shapeshifting god's plot to sink a submarine.

Another thing they often used to justify this kind of weird nonsense with Superman in particular was "red kryptonite", which would have some random wacky effect on him for 24 hours or so.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

He sure does!

It's funny because it's actually Ricky Gervais.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

That one's definitely real. The title story involves an ancient evil shapeshifting god's plot to sink a submarine.

Another thing they often used to justify this kind of weird nonsense with Superman in particular was "red kryptonite", which would have some random wacky effect on him for 24 hours or so.

Superdickery is a goldmine for funny images from old comics. Golden Age/Silver Age Superman is a huge rear end in a top hat, even when a plot contrivance isn't forcing him to be a bad guy. There's one I was looking for that I can't find at the moment where Superman has caught Lois Lane from a rooftop freefall, and when she says something sassy, he loving drops her. It's ok, though, because he catches her again at the last second. That'll teach that hussy!

gently caress the 1950's.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Railing Kill posted:

Superdickery is a goldmine for funny images from old comics. Golden Age/Silver Age Superman is a huge rear end in a top hat, even when a plot contrivance isn't forcing him to be a bad guy. There's one I was looking for that I can't find at the moment where Superman has caught Lois Lane from a rooftop freefall, and when she says something sassy, he loving drops her. It's ok, though, because he catches her again at the last second. That'll teach that hussy!

No one has a right to help from Superman. Be polite, he's doing you a favour.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Railing Kill posted:

Superman in German is Übermensch, so it's to be expected that he's beyond good and evil.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Railing Kill posted:

It's amazing, but something of a breeding ground for viruses since it's not been updated in some time.

Here's my favourite though:

The story behind it? Superman adopts Jimmy Olsen, but then his future-predicting machine says in a month, Superman will murder his son! The only solution Supes can see, is to be such a dick to Jimmy that he agrees to have the adoption cancelled. Only when the paperwork is signed, does Superman tell him what was going on.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

This dogs loving face :laffo:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Valtaherra posted:

Furassic World

Jurassic Bark ffs

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Railing Kill posted:

Oh, yeah. When the thing about one of these is just "huh, this seems really sexist" that usually 100% is what is going on:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Elfface posted:

It's amazing, but something of a breeding ground for viruses since it's not been updated in some time.

I used to love browsing the site but not anymore because of this and the fact that its such a pain to navigate :(

I don't know what's funnier, the ridiculous premise or that they appropriated the title from a real movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Irresistible indeed.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Apr 24, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How the hell are these not parodies.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

In space nobody can hear you file for divorce.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The editors at the time liked to commission shocking covers that would (hopefully) catch the reader's eye, and then have the writers write a story around it. This led to some primo weird poo poo, like Jimmy Olsen marrying a gorilla.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Phlegmish posted:

They're aimed at making kids go ":aaa: :aaa: :aaaaa: why would this happen" and buy the issue to find out that Lois is misreading the situation and Superman is actually saving her life because her line got tangled with another astronaut's who isn't on the cover.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The editors at the time liked to commission shocking covers that would (hopefully) catch the reader's eye, and then have the writers write a story around it. This led to some primo weird poo poo, like Jimmy Olsen marrying a gorilla.

I can't stop laughing at this holy poo poo. How can this be real.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Foxhound posted:

I'm pretty sure DC comics were mostly fictional :tipshat:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Phanatic posted:

Jurassic Bark, dammit.

Already taken:

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Right in the back.

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 9, 2002

Turks posted:

Right in the back.

Took me way too long to get that

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Turks posted:

Right in the back.

Et tu, Brute?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Baron von Eevl posted:

He sure does!

Hey you! Turn that frown... upside DOWN!

Or not.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Turks posted:

Right in the back.

That's just classic Caesar. Always getting stabbed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Foxhound posted:

The best part is that Superman is a licensed witch doctor.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

OK Some Butt Stuff posted:

Took me way too long to get that

Him too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Senior Woodchuck posted:

This is my second most favorite comic cover of all time. I swear they used the idea more than once of marrying Jimmy to an ape. But Witch Doctor Supes might be the best part of it.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

He doesn't even care about his friend being married to a giant angry gorila, that soup has got to be good, drat it!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Choco1980 posted:

This is my second most favorite comic cover of all time. I swear they used the idea more than once of marrying Jimmy to an ape. But Witch Doctor Supes might be the best part of it.

I think they did a couple issues of Jimmy Olsen where he turned into an ape, as well. They used to just reuse issues (redo the art and script very minimally) all the time, since they figured their readers would only be buying issues for a few years and probably wouldn't have been buying them the last time they ran that story.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Camoes posted:

He doesn't even care about his friend being married to a giant angry gorila, that soup has got to be good, drat it!

You might even call him "Souperman" :haw:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

theflyingorc posted:

The best part is that Superman is a licensed witch doctor.

Silver Age Supes had some staggeringly stupid powers. "Super Weaving" comes to mind. He had it for one issue, because the plot required it of him. He seemed to have the power to spontaneously develop powers as the plot needed him, and he was also a genius superscientist, so things he didn't have a power for he could just :techno: up a solution.

Also: sorry about posting a link to the apparently virus-infested Superdickery. I haven't actually visited it in years. Still, it's good for a lot of laughs if you have decent firewalls n' such.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

They're aimed at making kids go ":aaa: :aaa: :aaaaa: why would this happen" and buy the issue

So early comic books were essentially the Buzzfeed of their time. "What this Superman did will shock you!"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

So early comic books were essentially the Buzzfeed of their time. "What this Superman did will shock you!"

Now you see, there is never anything new under the sun.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Superman is indestructible so he's just forcing people to do poo poo for his own amusement cuz I mean what are you gonna do, its not like you can stop him or anything.

You're gonna marry an ape Jimmy and I'm the witch doctor and there's not a goddamn thing anyone in the world can do about it.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
You either die a superhero or live long enough to see yourself become Zod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The Red Queen posted:

You either die a superhero or live long enough to see yourself become Zod.

• Locked thread