Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kooriken posted:

It really is telling of the Space Pirates that one of Ridley's defining traits is that he's actually intelligent.

And even he's Ridley, it's not like he demonstrates a tremendous amount of intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Don't bend that way Samus. You can't bend that way.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

PantsBandit posted:

Don't bend that way Samus. You can't bend that way.

Bend It Like Aran: The Metroid Movie

It's a musical starring Julianne Hough as Samus.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I don't get it. Her new pose looks way better. The old one looks like she's settling in to take a dump on the floor.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

IronicDongz posted:

They could have just thought that she's just flexible, it's not as if the space pirates have ever been very smart.

I love comics about Space Pirates being idiots.

Everyone's complaining about Samus' leg, but have you even seen her left arms?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I would be a fan of that pose if every time she fired she fell over into a heap because her center of gravity is all hosed up.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Famous TV Dad posted:

I don't get it. Her new pose looks way better. The old one looks like she's settling in to take a dump on the floor.

It looks more dynamic, sure, but not better. The old pose was somewhat realistic looking for someone shooting a gun with intent to actually hit the opponent. The new one is some goofy comic-book style nonsense that has her bending at unnatural angles to get as much of her body into the frame as possible.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

IronicDongz posted:

They could have just thought that she's just flexible, it's not as if the space pirates have ever been very smart.

Any chance you have the full catalogue of these? I remember there were a bunch where the pirates were obsessed with tuuuuubes as well.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Geostomp posted:

It looks more dynamic, sure, but not better. The old pose was somewhat realistic looking for someone shooting a gun with intent to actually hit the opponent. The new one is some goofy comic-book style nonsense that has her bending at unnatural angles to get as much of her body into the frame as possible.

It looking more dynamic is the only thing that matters tbh. Also you want to the character models to have their bodies showing as much as possible? The game's perspective is from the side so it makes sense that no one is standing perfectly sideways. It would look really dumb.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Famous TV Dad posted:

It looking more dynamic is the only thing that matters tbh. Also you want to the character models to have their bodies showing as much as possible? The game's perspective is from the side so it makes sense that no one is standing perfectly sideways. It would look really dumb.

Yeah no, looking dynamic does not mean looking good. It looks horrible to anyone who knows about how the human body can bend and such. There's showing more than just your profile to camera and than there's contorting the body in ways it shouldn't.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
It doesn't really seem like that big a deal, to me.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Well obviously the old pose was made to more closely mimic the pose from Metroid Zero Mission. Compare!

Zero Mission sprites:

I mean, obviously the new one looks more dynamic and whatever, but it's definitely less like the pose in Zero Mission. I also don't think it's a big deal or anything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

horriblePencilist posted:

Aw man, you got me thinking about AA5 and now I can't get it out of my head.

Pic of the day:

Her right shoulder. And left elbow. :stare:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

New challenger approaching: Gumbi Suit Samus.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RBA Starblade posted:

Her right shoulder. And left elbow. :stare:

Her torso is literally folding in half.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

She really is Bayonetta now.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Quest For Glory II posted:

She really is Bayonetta now.

Forgive me if this has been posted already:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Pic of the day: Instead of crouching Samus now does a sexy crawl-walk. Press A for her to assume the missionary position

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

flatluigi posted:

Her torso is literally folding in half.

She looks like she has no spine, literally.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

xanthan posted:

Yeah no, looking dynamic does not mean looking good. It looks horrible to anyone who knows about how the human body can bend and such. There's showing more than just your profile to camera and than there's contorting the body in ways it shouldn't.

Actually it does.

Also who cares? If it looks cool and is more functional it doesn't matter whether the human body could technically do it or not. It could be a product of tweening anyways.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

She looks like she has no spine, literally.

How do you think she fits in the morph ball :v:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Famous TV Dad posted:

Actually it does.

Also who cares? If it looks cool and is more functional it doesn't matter whether the human body could technically do it or not. It could be a product of tweening anyways.

bro people are mad because they took function and replaced it with more sex appeal, as if Samus wasn't getting enough of that dolloped over top of her other qualities already.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I guess I don't get why games have sex appeal because why do people want to jack off to polygons so badly

At the end of the day ZSS is taking up a slot that could've gone to another character.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Excels posted:

bro people are mad because they took function and replaced it with more sex appeal, as if Samus wasn't getting enough of that dolloped over top of her other qualities already.

Except having her body be more visible is in fact more functional.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Famous TV Dad posted:

Actually it does.

It'd be one thing if it looked cool but unrealistic, but really it just looks awkward and bad.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Famous TV Dad posted:

Except having her body be more visible is in fact more functional.

Brawl ZSS was based entirely on Zero Mission. Her powers and her poses were based on her sprites. Which were functional.

Now she has noodle-limbs and huge breast-balloons. It is impractical.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
In response to "who cares", I think scrutiny of Samus' depictions are expected after Other M. Yoshi's rainbow isn't nearly as interesting or stupid.

Also, pretty much everyday that doesn't have a direct is a slow news day. I guess they're also saving the confirmations of veterans like Ness and Captain Falcon for the direct videos now too.

I just want the game now. I can only speculate so much... and it's still FOUR MONTHS until the 3DS game?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

At the end of the day ZSS is taking up a slot that could've gone to another character.

Now there's a lot of complaints people can and are making about this that are perfectly valid, but this is just silly. Removing ZSS from the game wouldn't mean Pac-Man could get in, it would mean the game had one less character.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Excels posted:

Brawl ZSS was based entirely on Zero Mission. Her powers and her poses were based on her sprites. Which were functional.

Now she has noodle-limbs and huge breast-balloons. It is impractical.

I would say that basing her animations off a game where it is zoomed in on her all the time for a game where the camera is zoomed out to accommodate 3 other players, huge stages, and tons of other stuff is in fact a bad idea.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alcharagia posted:

Now there's a lot of complaints people can and are making about this that are perfectly valid, but this is just silly. Removing ZSS from the game wouldn't mean Pac-Man could get in, it would mean the game had one less character.
I dunno about that, I think there has to be a hard ceiling on how many characters make it in and surely some are on the chopping room floor. Each slot comes at the expense of a character that doesn't make it in, whether it's ZSS or Mario or Donkey Kong or whatever.

Famous TV Dad posted:

I would say that basing her animations off a game where it is zoomed in on her all the time for a game where the camera is zoomed out to accommodate 3 other players, huge stages, and tons of other stuff is in fact a bad idea.
"Zoomed in" is a real stretch when you're talking about a 15x20 sprite

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yes, Sakurai arbtrarily decided 'there are only 40 characters in this game' and refuses to budge on that number no matter what.

Wait, no, that's not how it works at all.

That said, ZSS does represent an investment of development time and resources that could have gone somewhere else, be it a different character or more stages or whatever. But just because you don't like a character doesn't mean they're wasting a slot. I don't really care about Little Mac, because I have no attachment to the Punch-Out games and his playstyle doesn't look interesting to me, but there are people who do care about him.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

They could've just ported Samus and ZSS directly from Brawl and I don't think anyone would have complained. It's just Sakurai's policy of using the "latest" incarnations that caused this.

He probably added the jetboots to counter the fact that Other M ZSS looked weak.

Excels fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 24, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I guess I never really understood why ZSS needed to be a character in the first place. I mean obviously normal Samus is what everybody associates with the series. She really seems to have no purpose other than sex appeal. I mean if you like playing as her that's fine I'm just talking about why she was added in the first place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

He probably added the jetboots to counter the fact that Other M ZSS looked like a weak bimbo.
It's kind of hilarious when people get all anti-sexism while simultaneously being sexist. Like Other M Samus was loving terribly written but what exactly makes her a 'bimbo?'

Also if Sakurai always used the latest incarnations, Link and Zelda would be from Skyward Sword.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Excels posted:

It's just Sakurai's policy of using the "latest" incarnations that caused this.

Except that's a bullshit policy, cause he used Super Metroid Samus in Brawl despite having more than enough time to implement Echoes/Corruption's Varia Suit.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

It's kind of hilarious when people get all anti-sexism while simultaneously being sexist. Like Other M Samus was loving terribly written but what exactly makes her a 'bimbo?'

Didn't they animefy her, make her eyes/boobs bigger and make her cry and ask for help a lot, etc etc?

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

"Zoomed in" is a real stretch when you're talking about a 15x20 sprite

ok maybe i should have said focused instead but you understand the difference

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

Yes, Sakurai arbtrarily decided 'there are only 40 characters in this game' and refuses to budge on that number no matter what.

Wait, no, that's not how it works at all.
Just for balancing alone there has to be some limit, unless you believe there's going to be 50 DLC fighters added. They know what the timetable is now, I can't see them still trying to put new characters in at this point. Which means some characters will not make it in.

Famous TV Dad posted:

ok maybe i should have said focused instead but you understand the difference
There won't be silhouette issues because the 3DS has black outlines and the Wii U version is HD, so what does it matter.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Personally, I want all of the characters in this fighting video game that fetures a giant fire breathing turtle to be completely realistic in their movements and abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
The whole spots thing is dumb and people should stop believing that characters take "spots" from others.

• Locked thread