Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dimejubes
Dec 2, 2006
did I just do that?
I don't get why they let go of Jefra so easily. She said that the letter from her Mom was a sign from god or something. If Spencer had revealed the idol earlier they could've had her play double agent and let them know who to play the idol for, which is risky, but I don't see how drawing rocks was ever going to convince Jefra. And why did Woo look so freaked when he saw his name if he knew Spencer had misplayed the idol... unless it was edited misleadingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The game is Tony's to lose at this point. I'd say Trish and Spencer have the best resumes besides him, with Tasha in third.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
As people are pointing out, Spencer made the right move in playing the idol on himself.

If the numbers were different, so that voting out one of the people on the other side would leave each side with the same numbers, or Spencer's side with the majority, then playing his idol on Jeremiah may have been worth the risk. As it was, though, even if he played it on Jeremiah and was right, he's still in trouble, as his group would still be behind 4 to 3. So it's not worth him risking going home just to get himself into a somewhat less bad position. He's holding out and waiting for the other side to fracture.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 24, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I think Spencer did the right thing because of 2 reasons:

1.) He probably thought Tony has the special power immunity idol, without knowing the restriction, which would have made Spencer the only person in the minority alliance to be eligable to be voted for in a potential revote. He would essentially have kicked himself out by using his idol for Jeremiah.

2.) They targeted Woo, the best challenge player, of the majority alliance and not Trish, who is in my view the social core. It's questionable that in an alliance with a weakened Tony Jefra would have been unconfortable enough to go flip.

My Jury Ranking is as follows:

1. Tasha - Won multiple immunity challenges, did not vote anyone of, good social player
2. Spencer - Same as Tasha but probably with a bit weaker social game with the jury
3. Tony - should win over any remaining majority alliance member because he is seen as leader
4. Trish - good social game
5. Woo - good in challenges
6. Jefra - might get higher in case of bitter jury, see Samoa
7. Kass - No way she wins

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wow, the Tyler Perry idol just took an enormous poo poo all over what was a pretty great season. Godawful decision by production and should swing the endgame enormously.

Spencer made the right call playing the idol on himself. If he gambles it on Jeremiah and happens to hit correctly, he knocks out Woo and is still down 4-3 next week. Once Jefra went into sheep mode there wasn't much of a choice but use it to survive another week. Jefra Bland indeed.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
God, that's a stupid idol. Congratulations on putting a win button in, people. Although, on the other hand, Tony could get to the end while pissing a bunch of people off, and then lose to whoever's sitting next to him. Tony should obviously take Kass and Jefra to the end, but will he realize that?
I think Tasha's probably going next, unfortunately, but Spencer's prominence suggests he'll go at least a little further.
Congratulations on your win, Tony. :smith:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Tony is a loving wizard, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
RI Chat: I'm starting to get really annoyed how easily people are finding immunity idols.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, they pretty much handed the keys to the kingdom over to Tony. It really doesn't look like anyone is going to step up to the plate and even take a shot at Tony that can actually do anything. And now he's gotten the ability to nullify that vote.

Really doesn't make the rest of the season seem that interesting.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Should be called the Million Dollar Idol.
Tony can simply stick to his original alliance with Woo and Trish and win the jury vote since he's made all the moves and decided who to vote out at every TC. If he gets rid of either or both of them to drag a goat along, it's even better for his end game.
:gerty:

Funny ironic moment when Kass said she's not worried about Tony because he annoys people.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm definitely in the camp of "Tony seems like such a runaway that the show could get really boring." Obviously the stupid HII has a lot to do with that, but his alliance-mates seem to be shockingly dumb. Like, anyone who is so confident about their position in the game that they think it's okay to "temporarily" to vote out a member of your alliance is so massively suspect that they should be immediately targeted.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Word. Woo is cool. Spencer's a lame-o.

Ah, come on dude, you don't need a reason to dislike him (even more), be honest. You've had a hate hard-on for Spencer since Day 1.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 24, 2014

Mackay
May 28, 2006

Arrr.

mancalamania posted:

I wonder if Spencer heard Woo's line about them voting based on where Idols might be and assumed Woo was bluffing and they were voting actually voting Spencer. If so, it's not bad reasoning-- Woo was kind of a dope for letting the real reason of his alliance slip.

When I thought they were voting for Spencer, I thought Woo's comment was amazing - an incitement to get Spencer to play the idol on Jeremiah rather than himself. Coming from anyone other than Woo (or Jefra, probably) it would have seemed too obvious, but from him I thought it was an amazing bluff because it read so strongly as "Woo being sincere".

Now that it turns out it was Woo being sincere, I think that Tony's producing the super-idol might have saved Woo's rear end. It looked like Spencer was still trying to get a read when he stood up to play the idol, and the threat of having an idol played back at him is a powerful push toward self-preservation even if he still thought a Jeremiah vote was slightly more likely. I think it was a fantastic move by Tony, even if the idol itself is bullshit. Somehow he keeps doing these moves that seem too over-the-top to work, but he has the force of personality to carry them off. He's what Hantz wishes he was.

I also love that Spencer was completely wrong about everything, again. ("Final four!" :lol:) Partly because he's so entertaining when he's whiny, partly because of the posters who get really mad when anyone dares to criticise him, but mostly because him being wrong about everything bodes well for a #CHAOSKASS win. I have no loving idea HOW she can possibly win, but as long as Spencer keeps being wrong all the time I will keep seeing his "0% chance" comment as foreshadowing and hold out hope. A Trish win would also be good and is far more realistic - she is playing an absolutely superb game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Does anyone have links to all the old Survivor threads? I'd love to see all of them.

And Russell just got totally bitchslapped by his tribe, it was the best :byewhore:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rarity posted:

Does anyone have links to all the old Survivor threads? I'd love to see all of them.

And Russell just got totally bitchslapped by his tribe, it was the best :byewhore:

Do you know about Rob Cesternino's podcasts? you might like to watch those. Also this site does hilarious survivor recaps:

http://bitchysurvivor.blogspot.com.au/

How do you feel about the whole redemption island thing?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Tony has to win the final immunity to get to the finals since nobody is going to willingly take him and lose to him. It's far from over, but the question is who he tries to drag to the end. Jefra seems like a no-brainer, but do you take Kass who is guaranteed no votes but is a wild card, or Woo who as far as the editing we've seen goes probably doesn't have a chance but seems relatively popular? No way he can take Spencer or Tasha, and Trish is probably not an option since she's played a good game and Tony knows it.

The Tyler Perry idol is really dumb and a bizarre decision to re-include in the game since Yul's win was such a foregone conclusion since he was invincible through the game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Lord Bude posted:

How do you feel about the whole redemption island thing?

It's kind of lame right now but if it starts getting used strategically (purposefully voting someone out so they can beat someone in a duel) then it could be interesting.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I don't really like the super Idol, but Tony is such a wildcard that I'm hopeful he can make it interesting. I would love to seem him come up with some ridiculous plan like telling everyone in the game to vote for him at Tribal so he can use his one vote to vote out Jefra or something. Of course, if any other player tried something like that it would backfire, but knowing Tony's luck in this game it would work and actually put him in a better position in the game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So Philip on RI is legitimately nuts, right?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rarity posted:

He mellows out a lot to the point where it becomes plausible to think the whole thing is an act.

But also probably yes.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
With the edit Spencer is getting I would be shocked to see him go before 5. I think Tasha goes next at this point and then Tony starts getting paranoid again about Woo still being around and decides to cannibalize his alliance again.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

I believe he was a 'federal agent' in some more than likely non field capacity, because they trotted out a coworker during the reunion, but I've always been convinced the nuttiness is equal parts mugging for the camera, and a deliberate strategic choice. Every interview/podcast he's been a part of since he's always come across totally differently - completely rational.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Lord Bude posted:

I believe he was a 'federal agent' in some more than likely non field capacity, because they trotted out a coworker during the reunion, but I've always been convinced the nuttiness is equal parts mugging for the camera, and a deliberate strategic choice. Every interview/podcast he's been a part of since he's always come across totally differently - completely rational.

He's a little eccentric on RHAP but yeah, it's got to be mostly an act. He's certainly no Coach who seems to legit live his gimmick. (and do all his interviews while working out to prove how fit and manly he is)

Did anyone in the thread pick up Phillip's book?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

He's a little eccentric on RHAP but yeah, it's got to be mostly an act. He's certainly no Coach who seems to legit live his gimmick. (and do all his interviews while working out to prove how fit and manly he is)

Did anyone in the thread pick up Phillip's book?

Speaking of which, has anyone read the book about Coach's solo kayak voyage? It predates his time on survivor, and is good reading.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Midrena posted:

Ah, come on dude, you don't need a reason to dislike him (even more), be honest. You've had a hate hard-on for Spencer since Day 1.

You're onto me. The true sign of my seething hatred is calling people "lame-o"s.

Watch out if I call you a "square."

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

You're onto me. The true sign of my seething hatred is calling people "lame-o"s.

Watch out if I call you a "square."

You've been beating the "gently caress that Spencer guy" drum for weeks. It's ok to hate the guy, just stop with the "ok NOW I don't like him for real guys" stuff. We get it.

On a lighter note, I just discovered the Coach movie is available on iTunes. :stare:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/movie/180/id494494877

I may have to finally take the plunge and watch more than just the trailer.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Costa Rica Job sounds like a sex act that may or may not involve a sugar cane and an inserted pineapple.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BGrifter posted:

You've been beating the "gently caress that Spencer guy" drum for weeks. It's ok to hate the guy, just stop with the "ok NOW I don't like him for real guys" stuff. We get it.

I don't much like him, that's kind of obvious and I've admitted it. But you of all people should know from the Big Brother threads that if I really dislike or hate someone I have no problem admitting it.

But come on, I actually called him a "lame-o" specifically because I thought I was such a silly insult that everyone would know I was just being goofy and wouldn't get defensive. That Woo comment wasn't worth hating anyone over.

There's a Coach movie? Dear Lord.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

It also features Danielle from HvV. You might not recognize her but that's supposed to be her on the left side of the poster.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJP01UR1DSY

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I don't much like him, that's kind of obvious and I've admitted it. But you of all people should know from the Big Brother threads that if I really dislike or hate someone I have no problem admitting it.

But come on, I actually called him a "lame-o" specifically because I thought I was such a silly insult that everyone would know I was just being goofy and wouldn't get defensive. That Woo comment wasn't worth hating anyone over.

I think your post got truncated by mistake. You meant Dear Lord Yes! Right?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

STAC Goat posted:

You admit it in like half your posts. We loving get it. Please shut up about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Lord Bude posted:

I think your post got truncated by mistake. You meant Dear Lord Yes! Right?

The only clear emotion or thought I can form at this moment is "Why the hell isn't there a trailer on that iTunes page?!"

Oh thank Lord, I found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbFZvbderb8

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rarity posted:

Are you Steve IRL?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Poque posted:

Are you Steve IRL?

Hey now, no need to call him a racist.

Also if you scroll up STAC the YouTube link I posted is an even better/worse 180 trailer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Whoops, missed that. Thanks/sorry.

For some reason I'm really grossed out that Danielle is his love interest. It might just be the idea of anyone being Coach's love interest.

Mackay
May 28, 2006

Arrr.

Midrena posted:

BGrifter posted:

Lone Goat posted:

You admit it in like half your posts. We loving get it. Please shut up about it.

:lol: Thank goodness Spencer has all you guys to defend him against all the incredibly hateful venom being spewed at him from that one dude who called him a lame-o.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually been trying to be less critical of Spencer so as not to annoy you guys.

I thought "lame-o" was totally safe to say as a silly thing without starting something.

I have now learned the true power of the venomous, controversial insult "lame-o".

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Can you stop typing "lame-o"? It's annoying.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
You're all lame-os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

dimejubes posted:

I don't get why they let go of Jefra so easily. She said that the letter from her Mom was a sign from god or something. If Spencer had revealed the idol earlier they could've had her play double agent and let them know who to play the idol for, which is risky, but I don't see how drawing rocks was ever going to convince Jefra. And why did Woo look so freaked when he saw his name if he knew Spencer had misplayed the idol... unless it was edited misleadingly.

Jefra seems basically incapable of playing double agent against her alliance. Trish caught onto her wibe right away. "I just don't feel like I can trust Tony. He lies a lot and betrayed our alliance." "Tony, can we trust you?" "Yes." "Alright then, guess I'll go back on my promise and that 'sign from god' then."

It was kinda surprising that she told the other tribe before the vote. They didn't make a big deal out of her doing that but it seems like something that would score major points with them, or at least not leave them with any hard feelings like finding out she wasn't voting with them when the votes were read at Tribal.

I was also surprised at Woo being super shocked to see his name read despite the votes going the other way. I guess he just thought they were gonna vote Tony and didn't like the idea that he was their target.

You just know somebody's going to find the idol when they're the only person even trying to look for it, and telling the story of them looking. It kinda bums me out that something so overpowered is in the game. I think Tony is alright but I am kinda not liking how dumb everyone else seems believing him and siding with him. This idol should have been at least harder to find. Like that one time an idol was sort of just buried in a random place and the clue was about how many steps to take from a landmark to dig for it.

• Locked thread