Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bobert51 posted:

My uncle once told me if I wanted to experience what it's like to own a sail boat I should just stand in an ice cold shower and tear up hundred dollar bills.

Depends on what kind of sail boat you want. I decent shape 70's or 80's Hobie cat will run you about $1000-1500 and costs about nothing to maintain.

And we all know what boat stands for.... Bust Out Another Thousand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RisqueBarber posted:

Holy poo poo. The "I only make minimum wage at a movie theater" caught me off guard but I guess those are the people these schemes prey on because most people know better than that.

She's 19.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Guinness posted:

I'm also continually amazed at how little people value their own time. Combine that with ignoring actual cost of owning/maintaining/driving a personal motor vehicle and you get some really bizarre uneconomical behavior.

Like people who will go out of their way to avoid a $3 toll bridge, but to do so takes them an extra 30+ minutes of time and driving an extra 5-10 miles in heavy traffic. I get it that tolls are obnoxious and I don't like them either, but jeez that's less than the Starbucks drink that you just know they're slugging down while they avoid the toll.

I used to live next to some people who literally worked across the street. They decided that they wanted some more spending money, so they sold their house (whose mortgage payments they could easily meet: they told me as much, and I believed them, it wasn't that crazy of an area, and they both were skilled trades, making decent money), and moved to Barrie, which was an hour away (this was in Markham, for Ontario people).

So essentially they took a 30% decrease on their mortgage, and now have to spend 2 hours a day in a car, instead of walking across the street.

My old boss, same thing. He lived an hour and change away from the office, just so he didn't have to spend as much on a house. Yeah, great, but you're losing 10+ hours of your life a week in a car.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather prefer a smaller house (or apartment) close to where I'm working instead of something bigger and pissing away gas and maintenance and hours every day.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Me too. I miss being a 15-20 minute walk or 10 minute bus ride from work, but jobs change. Now I'm a 15-20 minute drive, with an unusually bad day being 30-35 minutes in the evening. Even a bad day taking 35 minutes feels like such a waste of time.

It just blows me away that people are okay with spending an hour or more commuting each way, especially if you are in an SOV in traffic. At least if you spend an hour on the train or bus you can read or even do work. If you're stuck in traffic you're basically just wasting time. I guess you can listen to a podcast or book on tape or whatever, but that's still SO MUCH lost personal time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spog posted:

If it flies, floats or fucks: rent it.

How do you rent a duck? :confused:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

How do you rent a duck? :confused:

I tried once through Fingerhut but canceled the payments an eighth of the way through and all they sent me was a bill.

That company is fowl.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Guinness posted:

Me too. I miss being a 15-20 minute walk or 10 minute bus ride from work, but jobs change. Now I'm a 15-20 minute drive, with an unusually bad day being 30-35 minutes in the evening. Even a bad day taking 35 minutes feels like such a waste of time.

It just blows me away that people are okay with spending an hour or more commuting each way, especially if you are in an SOV in traffic. At least if you spend an hour on the train or bus you can read or even do work. If you're stuck in traffic you're basically just wasting time. I guess you can listen to a podcast or book on tape or whatever, but that's still SO MUCH lost personal time.

I spend an hour each way on public transit. In theory I could read. In practice I waste all my time on Facebook.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

tuyop posted:

That company is fowl.

Booooooooo

Also the uncle who told me that actually does live on his sail boat, where he is greatly enjoying his early retirement (he's pretty good with money)

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Boris Galerkin posted:

I spend an hour each way on public transit. In theory I could read. In practice I waste all my time on Facebook.

I have an hour to hour fifteen commute each way. I love where I live and it's so much cheaper. If I wanted to be within fifteen minutes to work, I wouldn't be able to have a garage or a decent yard. You make sacrifices.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bobert51 posted:

Booooooooo

Also the uncle who told me that actually does live on his sail boat, where he is greatly enjoying his early retirement (he's pretty good with money)

Do you know how it compares to home ownership in terms of cost? Like, a livable boat can be bought for like 60k, right? If a house is 300k, does the boat then eat over 240 grand?

Kind of off topic, sorry guys. I think I'm kind of ducking this thread up.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bobert51 posted:

My uncle once told me if I wanted to experience what it's like to own a sail boat I should just stand in an ice cold shower and tear up hundred dollar bills.

My dad is a thrifty guy, and managed to parlay his love of sailing/sailboats into a decent side hustle. He'd buy a fixer-upper, do all of the work himself* on the weekends over 9-12 months or so, then list it at a high-ish asking price, while continuing to sail and enjoy the boat. Eventually, someone would bite, and he'd buy a slightly bigger fixer-upper, and repeat the cycle. I'm not sure if he came out in the black (I suspect not after slip fees, although his is about as cheap as you can get, it's essentially a co-op), but it certainly didn't cost him too much other than his time, which he enjoyed spending.

Now that he's retired, he makes some income on the side teaching rich people who've just bought a sailboat how to sail/cruise, or delivering boats. Last year he got a free trip across the South Pacific on an Aussie guy's yacht doing the latter. I have a feeling my life priorities might keep me too busy to do something similar, but when I'm back home this fall he's going to take me out on some longer trips so I can at least get some blue water experience, which might hopefully get me some free crewing opportunities, at least.

He's a pretty skilled sailor/all-around-handy-boat-person, and I think he probably could have made a (much more modest) living doing it professionally, but I'm really grateful he stuck with his regular job, and was around a lot more when I was growing up.

*being into boats requires a lot of different skills: sewing, electrical, woodworking, plumbing, painting, etc.

pathetic little tramp posted:

I've been three times, and yeah the second time is way too loving much.

I grew up about a 2 hour drive away from Disney World. At one point in my childhood, they were running some sort of deal for Florida residents where you got a one month pass for a pretty good rate. I remember laying awake the night before, being so excited it was hard to get to sleep. And I had a great time! I think Tom Sawyer's Island was my favorite.

My parents proceeded to take my sister and I every weekend of that month while the passes were still good. The second time was pretty OK, by the third time it was wearing thin... I can remember by the end of the month pretty much begging them not to take me again :v:

My parents are more clever than I gave them credit for, until I became an adult myself.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 23, 2014

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
Reddit assistance is a good mine as well. Some of the people there are genuinely poor and undeserving of our mockery. Others however....
http://www.gofundme.com/8k36aw

This girl is trying to get the Internet to pay her student loans just cause.

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
Holy poo poo. That woman I posted with the "Quantum Generator" gofundme? The one who raised $32k? Yeah she has another gofundme, on the next page.
http://www.gofundme.com/Fix-The-World
It's raised $26k...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HoogieChooChoo posted:

Holy poo poo. That woman I posted with the "Quantum Generator" gofundme? The one who raised $32k? Yeah she has another gofundme, on the next page.
It's raised $26k...

It's that old quandary, make a legitimate living online drop shipping, SEO'ing your blogs with ads, etc., or scam some anonymous retards until you scam the wrong person or scam too hard and catch a bad case of the feds. Crowdfunding has just made the latter so much easier.

Guinness posted:

The big kicker is when you have kids. All of a sudden, a person who didn't want to even consider a commute over 30 minutes is all about the hour long commute to allow their kids to have the right schools and neighborhoods.

Folly
May 26, 2010

baquerd posted:

The big kicker is when you have kids. All of a sudden, a person who didn't want to even consider a commute over 30 minutes is all about the hour long commute to allow their kids to have the right schools and neighborhoods.

Yup. Finding a place with good schools, cheap home prices (they tend to go up for good schools), and a short commute is almost impossible - especially with the normal time constraints of moving.

That's why public transportation owns.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Do you know how it compares to home ownership in terms of cost? Like, a livable boat can be bought for like 60k, right? If a house is 300k, does the boat then eat over 240 grand?

Kind of off topic, sorry guys. I think I'm kind of ducking this thread up.

There is a boat thread in DIY that might have the answers for you
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503087

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This is BFC, the only response to the mention of the word "boat" should be "DON'T".

It's a hole in the water in which you throw money; I have a complex love / hate relationship with the drat thing, and I think most boat owners do. Thank God it's paid off, my wharfage / storage fees are stupidly low, and my father maintains it as his retirement hobby.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 23, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I liked this article from 2009 about people ditching their boats all over the place.

quote:

They often sandpaper over the names and file off the registry numbers, doing their best to render the boats, and themselves, untraceable. Then they casually ditch the vessels in the middle of busy harbors, beach them at low tide on the banks of creeks or occasionally scuttle them outright.

The owners cannot sell them, because the secondhand market is overwhelmed. They cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars a month mooring and maintaining them. And they do not have the thousands of dollars required to properly dispose of them.

When Brian A. Lewis of Seattle tried to sell his boat, Jubilee, no one would pay his asking price of $28,500. Mr. Lewis told the police that maintaining the boat caused “extreme anxiety,” which led him to him drill a two-inch hole in Jubilee’s hull last March.

The boat sank in Puget Sound, and Mr. Lewis told his insurance company it was an accident. His scheme came undone when the state, seeking to prevent environmental damage, raised Jubilee. Mr. Lewis pleaded guilty last week to insurance fraud.

While there are no reliable national statistics on boating fraud, Todd Schwede, an insurance investigator in San Diego, said the number of suspicious cases he was handling had roughly tripled in the last year, to around 70.

In many cases, he said, the boater is following this logic: “I am overinsured on this boat. If I make it go away so no one will find it, the insurance company will give me enough to cover the debt and I’ll make something on the deal as well.”

Lt. David Dipre, who coordinates Florida’s derelict vessel program, said the handful of owners he had managed to track down were guilty more of negligence than fraud. “They say, ‘I had a dream of sailing around the world, I just never got around to it.’ Then they have some bad times and they leave it to someone else to clean up the mess,” Lieutenant Dipre said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/business/01boats.html

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always wanted a pedal boat

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Monaco-Deluxe-Pedal-White/dp/B007DGR8JU/ref=zg_bs_3398441_1

Not terribly expensive, has a built-in cooler

I dig it

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Monaco-Deluxe-Pedal-White/dp/B007DGR8JU/ref=zg_bs_3398441_1

I dig it

Pedal boats are the rascal scooter of personal watercraft. Get a kayak. :colbert:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Pedal boats suck. My girlfriend's folks have one at their beachhouse, it never gets used. The rowboat is far more popular if you're too lazy to rig the Sunfish.

Bubbacub posted:

I liked this article from 2009 about people ditching their boats all over the place.
Interesting. Wouldn't it be easier and less obvious to break the autobailer...

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 24, 2014

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My dad is a thrifty guy, and managed to parlay his love of sailing/sailboats into a decent side hustle. He'd buy a fixer-upper, do all of the work himself* on the weekends over 9-12 months or so, then list it at a high-ish asking price, while continuing to sail and enjoy the boat. Eventually, someone would bite, and he'd buy a slightly bigger fixer-upper, and repeat the cycle. I'm not sure if he came out in the black (I suspect not after slip fees, although his is about as cheap as you can get, it's essentially a co-op), but it certainly didn't cost him too much other than his time, which he enjoyed spending.

Now that he's retired, he makes some income on the side teaching rich people who've just bought a sailboat how to sail/cruise, or delivering boats. Last year he got a free trip across the South Pacific on an Aussie guy's yacht doing the latter. I have a feeling my life priorities might keep me too busy to do something similar, but when I'm back home this fall he's going to take me out on some longer trips so I can at least get some blue water experience, which might hopefully get me some free crewing opportunities, at least.

He's a pretty skilled sailor/all-around-handy-boat-person, and I think he probably could have made a (much more modest) living doing it professionally, but I'm really grateful he stuck with his regular job, and was around a lot more when I was growing up.

*being into boats requires a lot of different skills: sewing, electrical, woodworking, plumbing, painting, etc.

Your Dad sounds pretty drat cool.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Bobert51 posted:

We had one, and it was basically a hole in the ocean you filled with hundred dollar bills. It was a 11-meter sailboat. We've been out in gales with 40' swells. Scary is when the waves are taller than the boat, I was scared to death. We lived in Ireland at the time, so we'd sail up and down the coast or very rarely over to Wales (we didn't want to deal with visas and passporty stuff and they were worried a lot about the IRA smuggling guns/bombs, so an Irish registered boat got a lot of police scrutiny).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My mom and her boyfriend just finished fixing up their sailboat all nice, repainted the sides, made it all pretty. Then another boat came off its mooring and smashed into the side of their boat.

Better to have a friend with a boat.

TheWintergreen
Sep 25, 2007
My friend bought a house back when people were going crazy over houses (2007-2008ish). 150k for a decent little house, decent neighborhood. What happens the year after? Yup, housing market crashes. His whole street except him and a neighbor are foreclosed on. This nice house across the street, a two story, goes for 100k as the market hits bottom. What does my friend do?

He stops making payment on his house "because it pissed me off that the neighbors were paying way less than me for a nicer house." And of course he gets foreclosed on. Keep in mind, he's making good money and can completely afford his payments. :stare:

What is he doing today? He is renting a house from his parents in law, paying the same payment as his house was, with no equity. His house got bought buy some crappy investment company and they just sold it for 190k. They literally "redid" the kitchen (aka added a stupid backsplash and whatever cheap "renovation" people want these days) and made good money off selling it.

Now he wants to buy again, and of course he can't because his credit sucks because he got foreclosed on.

Good job! :thumbsup:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
He may have no equity, but had he stayed he'd likely have negative equity.

I've considered strategic default as I'm still 30k underwater despite being 8k ahead of scheduled payments, and I wouldn't be buying again for ten years, but meh. "Morals."

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 24, 2014

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Nail Rat posted:

He may have no equity, but had he stayed he'd likely have negative equity.

I've considered strategic default as I'm still 30k underwater despite being 8k ahead of scheduled payments, and I wouldn't be buying again for ten years, but meh. "Morals."

But it just sold for 190k. I don't know how much the renos cost but it probably wasn't 40k.

Of course there's closing costs to be factored in and the amount he'd have paid on the mortgage in the years since he defaulted compared to his rental payments, but it sounds unlikely that he'd be worse off if he stayed, and his credit rating would be intact.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Rick Rickshaw posted:

But it just sold for 190k. I don't know how much the renos cost but it probably wasn't 40k.

Of course there's closing costs to be factored in and the amount he'd have paid on the mortgage in the years since he defaulted compared to his rental payments, but it sounds unlikely that he'd be worse off if he stayed, and his credit rating would be intact.

If he'd held onto the house for six years at 4% interest, he'd have paid $168,967.98 for it assuming he didn't make a down payment. That leaves roughly 21k for reno, maintenance, closing costs, taxes and insurance.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

FrozenVent posted:

If he'd held onto the house for six years at 4% interest, he'd have paid $168,967.98 for it assuming he didn't make a down payment. That leaves roughly 21k for reno, maintenance, closing costs, taxes and insurance.

Yeah, like any asset, the value of the house is mostly irrelevant until you want to liquidate. People just get mentally hung up on some stuff, like people who sell all their stock when it tanks. My house could be worth nothing and it wouldn't matter because the value's irrelevant if I'm not planning to sell. In fact, like a retirement account, I would want the assets to tank in value up untilt he moment I liquidate (for stocks it's so I can buy more, for property, it's so I'll pay less in taxes, etc.)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

My bad, I missed the part about it just selling for 190k. Still, that's not a given. Some depressed home prices stay down(like mine).

quote:

Yeah, like any asset, the value of the house is mostly irrelevant until you want to liquidate.

Or move :negative:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Moving dosen't mean you have to sell. In my area, average rents are way higher then average mortgages (why this is baffles me). Most people I know just hire a company who rents out the property for a cut and handles all the administration, etc.

This is probably location specific though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EugeneJ posted:

I dig it

Yea the suck, my neighbors had a pedal boat in their pond and it just makes a bunch of noise. It also doesn't seem to matter how fast you pedal, you still go the same speed (extremely slow). But hey, a cooler and a bikini cover, that's kinda neat.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pedal boats are the golf carts of the sea.

They can't go fast because they have stupidly shaped hulls (Twin barges, basically) and highly inefficient propellers that are almost at the surface. You could make a fast pedal boat, but it'd look nothing like a pedal boat.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Pedal boats are the golf carts of the sea.

They can't go fast because they have stupidly shaped hulls (Twin barges, basically) and highly inefficient propellers that are almost at the surface. You could make a fast pedal boat, but it'd look nothing like a pedal boat.

You analogy is terrible because golf carts are pretty rad (though yes, they are typically slow)

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Golf carts are only slow because they have a limiter in place to stop old people driving into lakes accidentally. I used to be a range marshal at a golf course and got to use one which had no such limiter in place - I think the top speed was 35mph? Fun stuff.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 24, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

reddit posted:

I'm a student and the semester is just about to end. I have not been able to work much this semester due to the demands from school, and therefore I have only about $600 to my name right now. In about 2 weeks I'll be working some more again but its only going to be about $400-$500 a week probably. I'm looking to take roughly a month long trip to South America, which I think I will need between $3K-$4K to do. Once I return (probably around the time school starts back up), I'll be able to work part time for the next school year, after which I will graduate and hopefully get a good job. This may sound like a bad plan, but heres the thing: I have very low expenses. During the school year, I only need to pay for my food (about $80 a week), gas (which is very minimal, roughly $10 a week), internet ($50 a month), and whatever other miscellaneous cost I incur ($20-$30 a month). Everything else is taken care of. So really, I could have a $4K loan paid back in less than 5 months I think. So is there any reason I should not do this? I have never taken out a loan before and I'm pretty sure my credit score is fine. I have heard of banks giving loans for vacations but is it very common? What are the interest rates like? How do I go about applying for a loan?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

HoogieChooChoo posted:

It's raised $26k...

posted:

Basic monthly FTW operating expenses. These include: electric bills to keep the power on, phone bills to keep us in communication, internet bills, website hosting expenses, website maintenance expenses, office supplies, software programs needed for digital creation (movies, templates, docs, etc) These expenses are estimated to be about $2,000 per month.

Hmmm, Why would she need to pay electric bills when she has access to a fuel-less power generator? :iiam:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just realized my parents belong in here.

My father makes 125k a year base and has been over 100k for at least a decade. He also makes about a 10% bonus every year. My mom makes like 25k. Between the two of them, they're making 150k and have combined for 100k+ for about 15 years.

They didn't pay anything for my college, and my sister's college cost them about one abortive in-state semester, like 10k.

So you think they'd be in a good position, right?

Instead, they have 3 financed vehicles(there's always 3 vehicles, because my dad likes cars). Their house - which cost only 180k when they bought it in the early 2000's - STILL has PMI on it. Their 401ks are worth less than 250k combined. They're 56 and retirement age is a real thing on the horizon.

:psyduck: how do people gently caress up this bad.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Nail Rat posted:

Just realized my parents belong in here.

My father makes 125k a year base and has been over 100k for at least a decade. He also makes about a 10% bonus every year. My mom makes like 25k. Between the two of them, they're making 150k and have combined for 100k+ for about 15 years.

They didn't pay anything for my college, and my sister's college cost them about one abortive in-state semester, like 10k.

So you think they'd be in a good position, right?

Instead, they have 3 financed vehicles(there's always 3 vehicles, because my dad likes cars). Their house - which cost only 180k when they bought it in the early 2000's - STILL has PMI on it. Their 401ks are worth less than 250k combined. They're 56 and retirement age is a real thing on the horizon.

:psyduck: how do people gently caress up this bad.

Enjoy having your parents move in with you in a few years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:wtf: Where... where does their money go?

• Locked thread