Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Then I guess I rule Apokalips.

:hf:

Evil feels well rested without abnormal cravings or withdrawal symptoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

COFFEE IS

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gavok posted:

We already knew that.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's not a parody, it's a genuinely horrible and earnest webcomic.

Um yeah. As the guy who drew that comic all those years ago I would like to confirm that it was a parody. It was a joke based on this T-shirt from the original comic's cafepress store.

Since Power Chord has long been wiped from the internet and was extremely obscure to begin with, I do now worry about that thing floating around without context.

If you would like to learn more about Power Chord, I am archive dumping it in the GBS webcomic thread. Truly it is one of the greats.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Omega Beans.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I like my fan girls like I like my coffee french pressed.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Mechanigma posted:

Um yeah. As the guy who drew that comic all those years ago I would like to confirm that it was a parody. It was a joke based on this T-shirt from the original comic's cafepress store.

Since Power Chord has long been wiped from the internet and was extremely obscure to begin with, I do now worry about that thing floating around without context.

If you would like to learn more about Power Chord, I am archive dumping it in the GBS webcomic thread. Truly it is one of the greats.

Ugh. Link to where you start please.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I've totally fallen behind on the GBS thread, but I think it's probably a healthy reaction after covering the strips I did.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

"I am the revelation! The Tiger-Force at the core of all Starbucks! When you cry out in your dreams it is caffeine that you see!"

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

omnibobb posted:

Ugh. Link to where you start please.

Here's a link to just my posts

Power Chord was rebooted three times and I'm only halfway through the first version, so stay tuned true believer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Anti-Life Equation is tea+milk-caffeine.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Coffee is a lie. Synesthesia in a cup. Smells like cake, tastes like dirty rear end.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Little man.

Can you outrace that Two Thirty Feeling?

The life that is death!

Gummy Joe fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 24, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Was Taters posted:

Coffee is a lie. Synesthesia in a cup. Smells like cake, tastes like dirty rear end.
I swear to God, you are like the Earth-3 or Bizarro version of me in every single loving way.

(Except apparently our love for Dick Grayson transcends dimensional barriers).

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Darkseid...

always hated decaf...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

http://plasticfarm.com/?p=2059

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I cannot understand how people can stand coffee.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There are only two types of people in the world. People who enjoy coffee, and people who drink American coffee.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I'm not the biggest fan of Peter Parker so I decided to check out Ultimate Comics Spidey from the point where Miles took over and I haven't had this much fun with a superhero comic in a good few months now. I got absolutely lost in it while reading, like that rare time when you can read 20 issues and only feel like a half hour has passed. I tried Superior and just couldn't quite get in to it.

Does the Miles run continue to be good up to the recent #200 finale? Is the new upcoming series looking to be good? If so I might add it to my pull.

Also can someone sum up the difference between the Ultimates and their other-Universe counterparts and/or why the Ultimates were created other than adding another line of the same books? Are any of the other Ultimates series worth reading as someone who's not a huge fan of Marvel heroes?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

Are any of the other Ultimates series worth reading as someone who's not a huge fan of Marvel heroes?
I've read almost no Ultimate comics, but what I saw of Hickman's anti-his-regular-Fantastic-Four run with evil Reed attempting to Solve Everything his way was pretty great. Related, could someone point me to what trades I would want for his run?

I Before E posted:

Coffee is the no question the ultimate worst.

~*Iced Cinnamon Dolce Lattes*~ on the other hand... :guinness:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sundowner posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of Peter Parker so I decided to check out Ultimate Comics Spidey from the point where Miles took over and I haven't had this much fun with a superhero comic in a good few months now. I got absolutely lost in it while reading, like that rare time when you can read 20 issues and only feel like a half hour has passed. I tried Superior and just couldn't quite get in to it.

Does the Miles run continue to be good up to the recent #200 finale? Is the new upcoming series looking to be good? If so I might add it to my pull.

Also can someone sum up the difference between the Ultimates and their other-Universe counterparts and/or why the Ultimates were created other than adding another line of the same books? Are any of the other Ultimates series worth reading as someone who's not a huge fan of Marvel heroes?

Yes the Miles run does continue to be amazing. It is still being done by Bendis and his knocking it out of the park

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

I believe the Ultimates were created for a number of reasons, one was being a more easily accessible jumping on point to new readers. That's what it was for me, I started reading comics well into my 20's and the idea of just picking up whatever this week's Spiderman or X-men book with no context or knowledge of what's going on and what is happening was too daunting and kept me mostly on the fringes reading acclaimed minis or other limited runs. So, being able to pick up a comic where there wasn't a 40 year backstory like USM or UFF was what got me into reading actual superhero books.

Also I think it was a way to update the characters so they didn't have weird timelines where they were in their late 20's but had been around since the '60s. Peter Parker is the Bugle's webmaster instead of a freelance photog. They also kind of deal with real world politics in a more realistic way. And Freddie Prinze Jr.

As far as good Ultimate books, I was a big fan of Ultimates vol 1 and 2. USM is great from day one imo, and I liked the take on FF where they were much younger and Reed is kind of nuts pretty well. Stay away from Ultimate Iron Man.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 24, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm drinking some bulletproof coffee right now. It's delicious.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I Before E posted:

I usually drink it sitting down.

:thejoke:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes the Miles run does continue to be amazing. It is still being done by Bendis and his knocking it out of the park

That's great news. I haven't read a lot of Bendis books yet but he definitely feels like one of those writers who doesn't burden new readers with eons of history, while still maintaining content for long time readers. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing starting with Miles, despite there being ~150 issues prior to him showing up. I probably will go back and read from the start, I'm just hesitant because I'm not a big fan of Peter but it seems Ultimates turns things on it's ear enough to where I might actually enjoy characters and heroes I haven't liked in the past.

So I guess my question now is what are some must-read Bendis' books? Superheroes or otherwise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daredevil, Alias.

I have the controversial opinion of actually liking Bendis so if you just want to read his stuff he wrote Avengers for like ten years starting in '04.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sundowner posted:

That's great news. I haven't read a lot of Bendis books yet but he definitely feels like one of those writers who doesn't burden new readers with eons of history, while still maintaining content for long time readers. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing starting with Miles, despite there being ~150 issues prior to him showing up. I probably will go back and read from the start, I'm just hesitant because I'm not a big fan of Peter but it seems Ultimates turns things on it's ear enough to where I might actually enjoy characters and heroes I haven't liked in the past.

So I guess my question now is what are some must-read Bendis' books? Superheroes or otherwise.

Daredevil, Powers, Torso, Jinx, Alias. His New Avengers starts out good, and I enjoy it until after Siege when it gets rebooted into Avengers and New Avengers. I really like Guardians of the Galaxy and his X-men is pretty good. His event books are not that great, but Dark Avengers is.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

zoux posted:

I have the controversial opinion of actually liking Bendis so if you just want to read his stuff he wrote Avengers for like ten years starting in '04.

What do you mean? I'm not really familiar with Bendis the guy or the writer. v:v:v

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sundowner posted:

What do you mean? I'm not really familiar with Bendis the guy or the writer. v:v:v

Bendis has controlled the Marvel Universe since 04. Some people really like 90% of his work, while others think that most of his current work is trash. I am the camp that most of what he has written has been great with the exception of his reboot of Avengers, New Avengers v2, Avengers Assemble, and Age of Ultron. He usually writes the summer events and they usually are decent for what the are, with one notable horrible exception. Seriously never read Age of Utron.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

I think a lot of people think he's over exposed. He was involved in like every big crossover book since the mid 2000's, he wrote Avengers and New Avengers and USM for years and years and years, now he's writing the two main X-men books. He has a definite style and when you are reading the same style over and over and over again, it can be grating for some people.

My main criticism I guess, and remember I am a Bendis fan, is that he has trouble distingushing voices some times. Around Siege and Fear Itself two of his books had this same gimmick where somebody was interviewing all the Avengers talking about what was going on after the fact, and then the main story of the book would take place in a flashback. So you might have two pages with 12 panels each, and in each panel you have a different Avenger commenting on the action or theme of the plot, but there's really no distinguishing voice. Hawkeye talks like Tony talks like Cap talks like Ms. Marvel and so on.

bobkatt013 posted:

Seriously never read Age of Utron.
I've heard this so often that I have actually steered clear of it, but what is so bad about AoU?

Also, as a non-DC reader, I'd be interested in a write up of why exactly new-52 is so bad. I know nothing about new-52 except that people seem to hate the poo poo out of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I think a lot of people think he's over exposed. He was involved in like every big crossover book since the mid 2000's, he wrote Avengers and New Avengers and USM for years and years and years, now he's writing the two main X-men books. He has a definite style and when you are reading the same style over and over and over again, it can be grating for some people.

My main criticism I guess, and remember I am a Bendis fan, is that he has trouble distingushing voices some times. Around Siege and Fear Itself two of his books had this same gimmick where somebody was interviewing all the Avengers talking about what was going on after the fact, and then the main story of the book would take place in a flashback. So you might have two pages with 12 panels each, and in each panel you have a different Avenger commenting on the action or theme of the plot, but there's really no distinguishing voice. Hawkeye talks like Tony talks like Cap talks like Ms. Marvel and so on.

I've heard this so often that I have actually steered clear of it, but what is so bad about AoU?

Also, as a non-DC reader, I'd be interested in a write up of why exactly new-52 is so bad. I know nothing about new-52 except that people seem to hate the poo poo out of it.

They destroyed Jaime one of the best new characters created in the last 20 years. If you want to read an amazing teen book get the pre 52 Blue Beetle. They also got rid of the Super-marriage which pissed me off, as I am a huge fan of Lois and Clark together. Its also the fact that somethings were rebooted while others where not (Green Lantern and Batman being the big two). I was also pissed at them for cancelling Hellblazer so my opinion is very skewed.

Age of Ultron is pointless. Nothing happens of importance. It starts out with you finding out that its not Ultron who is killing everyone its Vison being controlled by Ultron in the FUTURE! So Wolverine and Sue go back in time and kill Hank, which causes another reality, so they go back again and don't kill Hank. This causes the timelines to be hosed up so Angela shows up in the Marvel Universe and Galactus shows up in the Ultimate.

Also never talk about Fear Itself, it was a crossover that got turned into an event and people got sort of forced into it. You can really see that Bendis was stuck doing those issues when he rather would not. It also was not the worst Fear Itself tie-in. Thank you very much Secret Avengers.

That reminds me how is the new Secret Avengers?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

Ultron appears in exactly zero issues.

Honestly there's nothing good about it. It's a boring, nonsensical, time-travel mess of a story that should have been laughed out of being a What If, not made into a big event. I wish I had that panel of Deadpool telling someone that nobody cares about their fake universe, because it really is the perfect summary of AoU.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

Age of Ultron was originally going to be a short miniseries by Bendis and Bryan Hitch a few years back and had multiple one shots and Bendis series and storylines leading up to it. There were multiple delays and during which Marvel switched from doing small 3-4 issue events like Siege to large scale 12+ issue events like AvX. Hitch also left Marvel during this period.

What you're left with is a book where nobody knew what to do with it and a chunk of art done they needed to use, so Marvel brought on board multiple artists, reworked dialogue and tried to cobble together a terrible time-travel story out of it because they needed an Age of Ultron series because that's the tag line to the Avengers 2 film.

CapnAndy posted:

Ultron appears in exactly zero issues.

OG Ultron appears :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

AoU was just...so stupid. Ultron barely even shows up--

it's terribly paced; new characters and settings are introduced and then never seen again; old characters act in ridiculous ways; Luke Cage survives a nuclear explosion, somehow flies across the world, dies in a shack, and not one other hero, all of which are 20 feet away, personally check on him because eww he's kind of gross looking; halfway through it turns into a hamhanded time-travel Wolverine story that couldn't be more clichéd if it tried.

-----------------------------------------

The DC reboot is obsessed with making the DCU the grittiest, most violent and x-treme comic universe since Spawn took up shop. This was an opportunity to really change what the DC universe could be, fresh starts for everyone, anything was possible, but since the same people were in charge as before the reboot, they just fell back on what they had been doing--driving DC into the ground, wiping out beloved characters, and wasting established ones. There were/are some bright spots (Snyder's Batman, the new Detective Comics team, Manupaul's Flash, early Animal Man, etc.) certainly, but man, each time I look at new solicitations/storylines/writer & artists choices, I realize my time is better spent elsewhere.

It also ruined the end of Morrison's bat-epic. :rant:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 24, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Waterhaul posted:

OG Ultron appears :colbert:
Trashcan Ultron doesn't count :colbert:

Although I guess the one good thing AoU did was redrawing the creation of Ultron to show just how loving creepy that was.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The one good thing that came out of Age of Ultron was that A.I. issue Mark Waid did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

That reminds me how is the new Secret Avengers?

I just started all the Marvel Now!!!!! stuff so I'll let you know in a couple of days. So far Nick Fury's black all of a sudden and Quake is referred to as Director Johnson????

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I just started all the Marvel Now!!!!! stuff so I'll let you know in a couple of days. So far Nick Fury's black all of a sudden and Quake is referred to as Director Johnson????

I think he's talking about the new creative team on the book. I think I've heard good things about it but I can't remember. I know it has MODOK in it so how bad can it be?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I think he's talking about the new creative team on the book. I think I've heard good things about it but I can't remember. I know it has MODOK in it so how bad can it be?

Yep that one. Since Hawkeye's schedule is irregular need to get my fix somewhere, and I will not read any Secret Avengers with Spenser's name. I fell for that once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

What you're left with is a book where nobody knew what to do with it and a chunk of art done they needed to use, so Marvel brought on board multiple artists, reworked dialogue and tried to cobble together a terrible time-travel story out of it because they needed an Age of Ultron series because that's the tag line to the Avengers 2 film.

The name was teased like a year before the title of the movie was announced, though. They might have known it was a potential choice, but it's a stretch to say that one happened because of the other.

• Locked thread