Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
Apparently the game is unlocked for Japan already? If one were so inclined to use a VPN, you could be playing right now!

e: This works with games from other regions too!

Turra fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
What's the EST time for unlock anyhow?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Japan is the only region locked version of the game. None of us have Japanese versions.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Carecat posted:

Japan is the only region locked version of the game. None of us have Japanese versions.

I also thought that would be a problem, but it is decrypting all the same.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

attackmole posted:

What's the EST time for unlock anyhow?

According to their Facebook page, 6 PM.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool. Just finished exams and have nothing to do. Guess I'll be playing DS1 till then to get hyped.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

G2A dropped their keys this morning, if you ordered from them.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

havenwaters posted:

Odd. It's been installed on both my laptop and desktop without issue. Meanwhile motioninjoy has destroyed the bluetooth drivers on two different laptops I've used and at one point decided to corrupt some important .sys file for the 360 pad/usb devices in general (causing windows 7 to bluescreen on boot every once in awhile). Also it phoned home.

Well that sucks then. All it's supposed to do is modify the drivers installed for the ps3 gamepad to make your computer think the ps3 pad is a 360 controller. Did you have motion in joy installed when setting the xinput wrapper up.

Not sure why it was wigging out but I reinstalled my 360 drivers as well and then it finally worked.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

A.C. posted:

e: I'll go ahead and throw this out there because I remember the crazy confusion of the DS2 thread during the first week of Console release, if anyone playing the PC version has questions that they want answers to, feel free to hit me up on Steam. I know the game like the back of my hand at this point and I know how easy it's going to be for someone to look over your post when this thread is getting hundreds of posts an hour.

Thanks, I sent you a friend request. I tend to have trouble with MAH BUILD :byodood: so I'll probably ask you about stats at some point.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BlueDestiny posted:

Thanks, I sent you a friend request. I tend to have trouble with MAH BUILD :byodude: so I'll probably ask you about stats at some point.

Get agility to 100 at least, and everything should be fine after that. Dex scaling a poo poo this time around.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Turra posted:

But can you actually play? Because if so... :woop:

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Turra posted:

Japanese VPN's working for me too. So uh.. the Steam staff won't give a crap as long as you're not circumventing regional pricing, right?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Preloaded and ready. :fap:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

immortal flow posted:

Japanese VPN's working for me too. So uh.. the Steam staff won't give a crap as long as you're not circumventing regional pricing, right?

You're correct. Generally steam staff doesn't care unless you're circumventing regional prices. Keep in mind the servers are probably down right now for last minute maintenance before launch.

The same thing happened on the consoles but the 360 servers never made it back up and had problems for the first two days.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 24, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Me and a friend unlocked and actually opened the game but it's just opening to a black screen for the both of us, a bit like how you'd open DS1 with the wrong DSfix config.
The game itself is hosed and isn't working.

edit no wait it's working now!

For some reason it won't play on my HDTV, it crashes everytime. But my desktop monitor is fine.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 24, 2014

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Does it re-lock after you disconnect from the VPN?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

repiv posted:

Does it re-lock after you disconnect from the VPN?

You can just put steam into offline mode and then disconnect the VPN.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Yeah, the game server isn't up so no pvp or messages yet. You can disconnect the VPN while the game is running if you like, although that might make steam say you arn't in the game anymore and so you won't get achievements.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DS2 PC starts at calibration 1.05 it seems. PS360 doesn't have that update

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steam says it's going to be playable in California, in 8 hours. Will the servers be up then?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Ah poo poo, the shop I ordered from hasn't received my money yet so I won't be in on launch. :argh:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Steam says it's going to be playable in California, in 8 hours. Will the servers be up then?

Unless things break like it did on the 360 version at launch, yes. Servers are going up once it unlocks for the rest of the world.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hint to those who didn't play DS2, but did play DS1, avoiding explicit spoilers:

Remember how you start off at the firelink shrine, and you're supposed to go up into the aqueduct to the undead parish? But you can also go through the graveyard into the crypt, or you can go down the elevator to new anor londo ruins? And how the ruins will totally kick your rear end, but if you're really good you could do crypt first, although you probably just want to go into the aqueduct first? And some players wander into the crypt thinking that's the only way you can go?

Yeah, well... DS2 is similar. :)

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Has anyone else purchased this from Gamestop online? I had some credit so I got the game for free, but the CD key they sent me won't work, and now I've been locked out of trying to activate the game because of too many attempts.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Short trip report:
Game looks really good! 60 FPS is very nice. Also, controls surprisingly well with mouse and keyboard.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kild posted:

DS2 PC starts at calibration 1.05 it seems. PS360 doesn't have that update

It also appears to be patch 1.01 when the latest is 1.03.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I'm wondering if I should bother doing my Belmont gimmick as my first character. I just feel for the first time through the game that I might be gaming the system too much by restarting over and over until I get an old whip.

Maybe I should just start as a cleric.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Genocyber posted:

It also appears to be patch 1.01 when the latest is 1.03.

Honestly I think the PC version will be using a different set of patches than the console ones.

I'm read to eat my hat once I get to The Shrine of Amana and get hit by super homing magic though (area spoiler about 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the way through the game)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

havenwaters posted:

Honestly I think the PC version will be using a different set of patches than the console ones.

I'm read to eat my hat once I get to The Shrine of Amana and get hit by super homing magic though (area spoiler about 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the way through the game)

I'm pretty sure that area was fixed, spoiler for the area you're talking about : the magic should no longer home in on you. The most dangerous thing about the Shrine when I went through it on PS3 was not killing all the lurkers in the water and them surprising me after engaging the knights/casters/ogre. Kill all of those as quickly as you can, then the casters.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm pretty sure that area was fixed on , spoiler for the area you're talking about : the magic should no longer home in on you. The most dangerous thing about the Shrine when I went through it on PS3 was not killing all the lurkers in the water and them surprising me after engaging the knights/casters/ogre. Kill all of those as quickly as you can, then the casters.

Yeah I know that area was fixed on consoles, spoilers for the area and some other game mechanics But it was fixed on patch 1.03. The PC version is on patch 1.01. Either the PC version gets a different patch set (most likely) or it really is behind (which would suck since that means co-op won't revive you to human)

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So I am still playing through this on PS3, taking my sweet time. I am seriously like 60 hours in cause I play this like I played old school metroids and just wander and investigate every nook.

I've not even come close to finishing, I expect I'm maybe halfway though.

I'm going to restart on PC, but this time I want to try out some of the newer combat mechanics. Is it possible in DS2 to effectively play though without using a shield? I'd love to carry around a big gently caress-off 2-hander. I'd like to go with a dex build that has some magic defensive and healing utility.

Are there any builds that complement this? Is it a dumb idea?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Linux Nazi posted:

So I am still playing through this on PS3, taking my sweet time. I am seriously like 60 hours in cause I play this like I played old school metroids and just wander and investigate every nook.

I've not even come close to finishing, I expect I'm maybe halfway though.

I'm going to restart on PC, but this time I want to try out some of the newer combat mechanics. Is it possible in DS2 to effectively play though without using a shield? I'd love to carry around a big gently caress-off 2-hander. I'd like to go with a dex build that has some magic defensive and healing utility.

Are there any builds that complement this? Is it a dumb idea?

Every build is viable really and you're never screwing yourself out of a certain playstyle because you can just reallocate your points with a soul vessel later if you feel like a different build.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Yeah I know that area was fixed on consoles, spoilers for the area and some other game mechanics But it was fixed on patch 1.03. The PC version is on patch 1.01. Either the PC version gets a different patch set (most likely) or it really is behind (which would suck since that means co-op won't revive you to human)

"Fixed"

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
So, is it to be expected that the PC version is super buggy? I'm pondering this because there is seemingly three or so patches every day since the preload, somewhat big ones too, and the game isn't even out yet.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I'm taking tomorrow and Monday off for this.

I can't loving wait to get home. :vince:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The PC game server is working fine for me for the most part aside from the "failed to join session" error message when being summoned. Might be a port forwarding issue or because I turn off my VPN when I'm ingame. Ghosts and messages work fine though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah that framerate! :awesome:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
VPN'd into Japan and it has to download another 300mb :argh:

e- Turned off the VPN while it was updating, steam reconnected and I just launched the game :dance:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 24, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
So where's the pre-order goodies then? None of the bonus items are in my inventory and there isn't a stash anywhere of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So where's the pre-order goodies then? None of the bonus items are in my inventory and there isn't a stash anywhere of some sort.

You should get the items as soon as you make a character and get to the tutorial area if I remember right.