Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Excels posted:

Her heels make her stronger.

Don't ask how that works

The heel deploys small knives to cut the enemy when she kicks them.

I assume all heels do this, and that is the reason why women wear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

e: Also in terms of line of action, Samus's new pose is actually going the wrong way, she's leaning way back instead of angling forward which doesn't really make sense. It's very DC Comics.

could you expound on this? i don't fully understand what you mean.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Famous TV Dad posted:

Generally when you shoot a gun, you lean forward to counter-act the knockback you'll get from firing.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Famous TV Dad posted:

i get the distinct feeling that is not the only thing you don't fully understand, Famous TV Dad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Famous TV Dad posted:

Line of action's a basic principle of character animation. Imagine a straight line that travels through the pose. In that pose's instance, the line starts at the left foot and extends northwest. A better line of action for a dynamic pose like that would be exactly the opposite, ending at the gun.

The problem with Marth's in the screenshot I posted is that despite him attacking with his sword, the line of action actually travels south to north vertically from feet to head, away from the sword, and even if it's an uppercut motion, it looks really weak and ineffectual. And that's not even getting into how odd his body is contorting. Although bear in mind, Marth's screenshot is most likely frozen on an inbetween, while Samus is a key pose.

e: Preston Blair's book has some examples using Tom & Jerry:

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 24, 2014

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

TaurusOxford posted:

Except that's a bullshit policy, cause he used Super Metroid Samus in Brawl despite having more than enough time to implement Echoes/Corruption's Varia Suit.

This is the first good post in a while on the subject, rather than argue how realistic your cartoon video game that merges a dozen different virtual worlds into one should be, consider if the changes are actually being made to cater to fans of Metroid or just very stereotypical and lazy decisions aimed at a broad audience of gamers that could be described with those same two words.

I feel like seeing the characters from the previous games confirmed should be more important than debating on realism vs. dynamic oval office stretching either way, please confirm Jigglypuff for launch :(

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Generally when you shoot a gun, you lean forward to counter-act the knockback you'll get from firing.

Do laser pistols even have knockback? It's just a really hot beam of light.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Maybe Sakurai doesn't want to make a fighting game, maybe if he could do it his way all the characters would hold back and girly slap each other, and the B button would be different kinds of hugs.

VVV
Because Sakurai sort of put himself in a corner saying the roster would be "smaller than Brawl" which sent a lot of fans into an uproar about "character slots", ie every new character means a statistically smaller chance of their favorite one being added.

Excels fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 24, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GenericMartini posted:

The whole spots thing is dumb and people should stop believing that characters take "spots" from others.

The idea that there is a reasonable limit on the number of characters Sakurai can and will put in this game is dumb why, exactly? :confused:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

Maybe Sakurai doesn't want to make a fighting game, maybe if he could do it his way all the characters would hold back and girly slap each other, and the B button would be different kinds of hugs.

Oh so someone got Sakurai for that E/N fighter?

TheKingofSprings posted:

The idea that there is a reasonable limit on the number of characters Sakurai can and will put in this game is dumb why, exactly? :confused:

That is not the point he is making.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Line of action's a basic principle of character animation. Imagine a straight line that travels through the pose. In that pose's instance, the line starts at the left foot and extends northwest. A better line of action for a dynamic pose like that would be exactly the opposite, ending at the gun.

The problem with Marth's in the screenshot I posted is that despite him attacking with his sword, the line of action actually travels south to north vertically from feet to head, away from the sword, and even if it's an uppercut motion, it looks really weak and ineffectual. And that's not even getting into how odd his body is contorting. Although bear in mind, Marth's screenshot is most likely frozen on an inbetween, while Samus is a key pose.

e: Preston Blair's book has some examples using Tom & Jerry:

i see what you are saying now. thank you for elaborating.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Saagonsa posted:

Personally, I want all of the characters in this fighting video game that fetures a giant fire breathing turtle to be completely realistic in their movements and abilities

The trouble with this sentence is, when the fire breathing turtle contorts it's body in a more realistic way (for a human) than the human girl, there's an issue.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
No guys it all makes sense, just look:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Anyway I think we've now run over it a million times. Everyone's got their position on this now. I just hope that the animation in the game is not all weak and sloppy. It would be a shame. At least Dedede is on point.

I wonder if they'll make any more character announcements before E3? E3 seems like the last possible date for character reveals.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Anyway I think we've now run over it a million times. Everyone's got their position on this now. I just hope that the animation in the game is not all weak and sloppy. It would be a shame. At least Dedede is on point.

Maybe the next smash iteration will do the right thing and just make every character reskins of Dedede and Wario. We can only hope.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

This is pretty much the best post regarding the topic and I don't think anyone can top it, amazing work

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I wonder if they'll make any more character announcements before E3? E3 seems like the last possible date for character reveals.

May 6 for Meta-Knight.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

May 6 for Meta-Knight.

Not May 2?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

the word is kinda hosed up as a whole when you think about it (how dare this woman not be smart and also want to have sex) but that part there doesnt apply even to other M samus.

empty quote

Who has looser morals than a bounty hunter?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

greatn posted:

Who has looser morals than a bounty hunter?
wario

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Waaaaaaaaahhhhh! It's Wario time yeah yeah YEAAAH!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zero Suit alt costume for Wario please. High heels and all

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I thought it was pretty common for Samus to buck the chain of command, since her superiors were really shady and hosed her over a bunch of times. She always came off like a badass who didn't have time for people's poo poo and would usually try to save who she could on her way to an objective. It wasn't like, a priority, but usually she was just trying to stay alive and get things done. It's just that the way people design things in Samus' world requires wasting a lot of your time going back and forth so she just dealt with it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Zero Suit alt costume for Wario please. High heels and all

PantsBandit posted:

Maybe the next smash iteration will do the right thing and just make every character reskins of Dedede and Wario. We can only hope.

So you admit it's a good idea

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

flatluigi posted:

You're right. This cartoony video game with Pikachu fighting Mario is ruined because this super-athlete's body does not fit within the confines of a normal human beings ability to move when she is standing still or perhaps spinning through the air like a buzz saw.

Clearly, this one frame of shoddy animation proves that this game is going to be a mess. We should keep discussing it until we get actual news.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Classtoise posted:

You're right. This cartoony video game with Pikachu fighting Mario is ruined because this super-athlete's body does not fit within the confines of a normal human beings ability to move when she is standing still or perhaps spinning through the air like a buzz saw.

Clearly, this one frame of shoddy animation proves that this game is going to be a mess. We should keep discussing it until we get actual news.

Keep up man, this comment's been done like a million times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samus, I'm granting you authorization to start a massive derail.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Zamus and Marth aren't the only ones with broken bodies!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

Samus, I'm granting you authorization to start a massive derail.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Excels posted:

Keep up man, this comment's been done like a million times.

To be fair, I can't blame them for skipping all that

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Pixeltendo posted:

Phallic Imagry: The Video Game

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pixeltendo posted:

Maybe it'll look better in motion but yeah, all the animations have looked kinda crummy for this one. The lines of action are all wrong.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

theres also this shot of Zamus doing the old pose, maybe the new one is just a in-betweener?

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

@SmashLeaks1 posted a new video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA2Hmb6gb70

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

theres also this shot of Zamus doing the old pose, maybe the new one is just a in-betweener?

When you see it in more than one picture it does start to nag at you that her arms are posed to reveal her chest as much as possible.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I thought there was a newcomer because 100 posts were spent discussing Samus' lithe and succulent body.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pixeltendo posted:

What even is Link's gameplan here? Learn how to fight "Hero" of Hyrule

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Yeah, you're right. Also it comes out may 16 in Europe for some stupid reason.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Macaluso posted:

What even is Link's gameplan here? Learn how to fight "Hero" of Hyrule

Looks like he was trying to stab Sonic, but he was just too slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

I thought there was a newcomer because 100 posts were spent discussing Samus' lithe and succulent body.

I've mostly been discussing Wario's succulent body.

• Locked thread