Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Preloading this now. It's been a long wait for this game, and not spoiling the areas has been a mild effort. Oh, and should you run into The Incredible Sea Honkey, preemptive hello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Higher resolution already paying for itself :allears:

http://i.imgur.com/HJPulvp.png

How did she even see out of this thing?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I heard that if you kill the boss/whatever as a white phantom, you return to your world with your humanity restored. Is that a glitch or a deliberate mechanic? Should I be throwing down white signs if I'm in need of restoring humanity without effigies?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Appoda posted:

I heard that if you kill the boss/whatever as a white phantom, you return to your world with your humanity restored. Is that a glitch or a deliberate mechanic? Should I be throwing down white signs if I'm in need of restoring humanity without effigies?

It's deliberate, it always has been, it was glitching out during release but it's stable now. Yes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, time to stop reading the thread until I get my physical copy, I guess. It's been good and true brothers and sisters. See you after you've already beaten the game twice or thrice.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I didnt play DS1 much but I am preloading this now. Can I summon more than one friend for jolly coop or is it just me plus one?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Innerguard posted:

I didnt play DS1 much but I am preloading this now. Can I summon more than one friend for jolly coop or is it just me plus one?

2 people max.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
So uh, it seems that if you've used a VPN to decrypt the game files early, you don't need to remain connected to play. You can launch it avoiding Steam by just using the .exe in the game folder. Servers... appear to be up too?

I've got some really weird graphics glitch in the main menu's 'Information' panel though, the text is flickering like crazy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is it :filez: to describe how to use a VPN?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How's the M+KB controls for you folks who have tried them out?

Atlasesque
Apr 8, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Is it :filez: to describe how to use a VPN?

No. Pretty simple really, I've done it for other things, but I won't speak to it since I haven't done it for circumventing Steam.

edit: that said, it's probably better to just wait 2 hours. Our VPN goonbros are probably going to find out in a few days that Gaben got mad and nuked all the japs and then we'll laugh at them.

Atlasesque fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 24, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Atlasesque posted:

No. Pretty simple really, I've done it for other things, but I won't speak to it since I haven't done it for circumventing Steam.

No-one has ever gotten banned for unlocking a game early with a VPN. It's buying from another country with a VPN that fucks you.

It's pretty simple. Go to the FlyVPN site, download the Lite client, exit Steam, use the Free Trial login to login Japan 02/03, launch Steam, decrypt game, launch game, disable FlyVPN, don't close the game until 6PM EST.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
So yeah the online's definitely working, I can see grey phantoms in the newbie area. Hi guys :3:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I bought a key yesterday and it still hasn't arrived, are pre-order keys different from regular keys or did I miss out on the pre-order content?

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
For anyone who hasn't picked this up yet and missed the Easter sale (J4XXU2-JTFTLL-8ENDXZ) gets you 25% on Dark Souls 2 on Greenmangaming. I got my code immediately after paying.

From here: http://blog.playfire.com/2014/04/dark-souls-ii-25-off-on-gmg.html

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm an idiot

can I still get this game for 25% off?

I am truly an idiot

thanks guy above me

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
GMG rules and you should get that deal if you have not bought the game yet.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Anti-Hero posted:

How's the M+KB controls for you folks who have tried them out?

I've heard a couple people say they aren't god awful like Dark Souls 1. You also can completely customize them so that's nice. Gamepad stuff can't be changed besides moving Jump from pushing L3 down back to double tapping circle/x

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
For anyone wondering about loading times. I installed it on my 500gb SSD. From the start of the loading screen to the end is about 3 seconds.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So everyone who's logged in now is using a VPN and it's not that Steam just hasn't updated, right?

arrggh fuckin chomping at the bit here GRRR gotta souls :jiggled:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

For anyone wondering about loading times. I installed it on my 500gb SSD. From the start of the loading screen to the end is about 3 seconds.

For comparison PS3 Disc load times are 30 to 40 seconds. PS3 PSN digital version load times are 25 to 30 seconds.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Mazed posted:

So everyone who's logged in now is using a VPN and it's not that Steam just hasn't updated, right?

arrggh fuckin chomping at the bit here GRRR gotta souls :jiggled:

Game doesn't unlock for another 2 hours.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not going to use a VPN because I'm a god-fearing american and also I'm probably too stupid to figure it out.
If you get invaded by McRib is Back!, be sure to not laugh at me too much.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

SuicideSnowman posted:

Game doesn't unlock for another 2 hours.

So it was said, but it helps to be sure.

Time to be productive before Souls.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

neetengie posted:

It's deliberate, it always has been, it was glitching out during release but it's stable now. Yes.

Thanks!

It's a shame that you can't join that Champions covenant and still summon white phantoms. A criticism my co-op buddies had was that co-op made enemies and bosses too easy -- we weren't jolly co-oping because we were having trouble with an area, but because we just wanted to stomp over Lordran while cracking dumb jokes on skype. I can see why it's in place, but it'd have been fun to have that increased difficulty to offset three dudes whacking monsters with ascended pyromancy, crystal/dark magic, and zweihanders.

Oh well, I guess a good way to circumvent this would be to just level up every area with a bonfire ascetic. Would that make bosses last long enough to be a challenge, or do multiple players break boss AI in such a way that the extra health and damage won't help enough?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Appoda posted:

Thanks!

It's a shame that you can't join that Champions covenant and still summon white phantoms. A criticism my co-op buddies had was that co-op made enemies and bosses too easy -- we weren't jolly co-oping because we were having trouble with an area, but because we just wanted to stomp over Lordran while cracking dumb jokes on skype. I can see why it's in place, but it'd have been fun to have that increased difficulty to offset three dudes whacking monsters with ascended pyromancy, crystal/dark magic, and zweihanders.

Oh well, I guess a good way to circumvent this would be to just level up every area with a bonfire ascetic. Would that make bosses last long enough to be a challenge, or do multiple players break boss AI in such a way that the extra health and damage won't help enough?

An ascetic would help if you want higher difficulty, but I think that some stuff that's normally NG+ won't occur on an Ascetic I think Last Sinner's lil helpers don't spawn on an Ascetic bonfire, could be wrong though
Honestly I would prefer World Tendency to come back instead of bonfire ascetics coming in, but maybe it'll just make the game a bit worse.

And for multiple players, I think they're easier to solo since you can follow their patterns in a better manner, while multiple people can make them a bit more unpredictable.

AXSON JACKSON
Feb 13, 2011
Wish I was more specific with my recent birthday list. Got a copy of Dark Souls 2 for PC but it is a physical copy that needs to be picked up in store. No downloading for me :( .

However, looking forward to the rest of this thread!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Selious posted:

For anyone who hasn't picked this up yet and missed the Easter sale (J4XXU2-JTFTLL-8ENDXZ) gets you 25% on Dark Souls 2 on Greenmangaming. I got my code immediately after paying.

From here: http://blog.playfire.com/2014/04/dark-souls-ii-25-off-on-gmg.html

Just confirming that this still works as of right now (1PM PST) with no problems and saved me a cool 12 bucks.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I've been trying to keep away from any and all DS2 information until I can actually play the drat thing, but I have a quick question: Me and a friend played through the entirety of DS1 together by summoning each other in each area. Will something similar be possible here, or have they made that pretty much impossible with the new summoning systems?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Appoda posted:

White Phantoming / Sunbroing also refills your spellcasts if you manage to beat the boss. Very useful.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
This game is loving hard. I'm at 50% hp, have no health items, die pretty often at that drat forest with 3 enemies and ugh. Lost thousands of souls and haven't even unlocked leveling yet.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

This game is loving hard. I'm at 50% hp, have no health items, die pretty often at that drat forest with 3 enemies and ugh. Lost thousands of souls and haven't even unlocked leveling yet.

Have you talked to people at Majula?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I've been trying to keep away from any and all DS2 information until I can actually play the drat thing, but I have a quick question: Me and a friend played through the entirety of DS1 together by summoning each other in each area. Will something similar be possible here, or have they made that pretty much impossible with the new summoning systems?

There are systems in place that make it easier to summon friends A ring that lets you choose a god, which makes signs of people that also chose that god more likely to show up for you - worked pretty well when I played with my brother

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

It should be easier. I would tell you more but was beaten by a goon who also reminded me about spoiler tags.

oh well. Just look up one post.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 24, 2014

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

haven't even unlocked leveling yet.

Yes you have. Explore better.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I assume you've left the tutorial area, Things Betwixt? You can level up as soon as you reach Medula, talk to people there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VDay posted:

Just confirming that this still works as of right now (1PM PST) with no problems and saved me a cool 12 bucks.

Same, this is the way to buy Darksouls!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Renamed account name to Black Iron Tarkus, changed profile picture.

I'm prepared to die :)

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
Time has suddenly started to move much more slowly, this is going to be a long rear end hour and 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006
Two bosses down, I had to buy a straight sword from the blacksmith before i could really do anything against him, I did try the 'secret' way to kill him but I mistimed it.

60FPS is gorgeous and a significant improvement over the 360 version.

I love the number of bloodstains everywhere, glorious.