Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

bobkatt013 posted:

Some of his shots and methods have been referenced in shows such as the Simpsons and Family Guy. Also more people have heard of Hitchcok then Stanley Kubrick

I may have had more exposure to Kubrick because I've read several of the books he's adapted into movies. I've read A Clockwork Orange (and about the controversy with Burgess), The Shining, and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

MrAristocrates posted:

He referred to Hitchcock's "discography" and thinks Will Smith was in a movie named after him. Come on guys, you're smarter than this.

What do you call a compilation of a director's films? And Will Smith was in Hitch and Hancock; my mistake for combining both of them.

Edit: I know 6 languages, the least you could say is filmography.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ravane posted:

What do you call a compilation of a director's films? And Will Smith was in Hitch and Hancock; my mistake for combining both of them.
A "stack" or "pile." As in: "Eyes Wide Shut? Oh, that's over there in the Kubrick pile."

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Ravane posted:

What do you call a compilation of a director's films?

Oeuvre.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Or filmography.

I actually have no problem believing that there are people who know absolutely nothing before 25 years ago. There's such an excess of new material being put out and such an over saturation of media that if you want to never watch anything made before you were born you can do it. When I was a stupid kid I rolled my eyes at classic music and black and white films but then I got exposed to that stuff and grew up. But these days there's no reason for you to be stuck watching old tv shows or movies in syndication because its the only thing on or flipping the dial on a radio until you hear something you like. So unless your parents or friends or school are exposing you to that stuff then you can stay blissfully ignorant forever.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 24, 2014

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Actual story: I knew a kid (several years ago) who sincerely thought "We Will Rock You" was originally sung by New Kids on the Block.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

xeria posted:

Actual story: I knew a kid (several years ago) who sincerely thought "We Will Rock You" was originally sung by New Kids on the Block.
Well at least they didn't think it was an original song from Glee or something I hope.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sober posted:

Well at least they didn't think it was an original song from Glee or something I hope.

I'm glad I don't watch Glee anymore for a lot of reasons but not the least of them is that it breaks my heart every time someone picks a Glee cover over the original or has no idea what some classic song Glee covers is.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm glad I don't watch Glee anymore for a lot of reasons but not the least of them is that it breaks my heart every time someone picks a Glee cover over the original or has no idea what some classic song Glee covers is.
There are a few decent ones but only because I absolutely despised the original and somehow they made it tolerable (if not better).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I'm not saying the Glee music isn't sometimes a lot of fun or good. It was part of the reason I watched although it was rare that a song was something I wanted to listen to twice, but there were exceptions. Off the top of my head I really enjoyed the Neil Patrick Harris/Matthew Morrison "Dream On" cover. And yeah, there's been a few Glee versions I prefer to the originals because they went a different road.

It just makes me sad when Glee covers some classic tune and a whole generation treats it like an original because they've never heard of Otis Redding or someone like that.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Sober posted:

There are a few decent ones but only because I absolutely despised the original and somehow they made it tolerable (if not better).

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIQlyq6SdOc

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, you guys need to shut up about Glee for a few minutes and soak this the gently caress in.

I don't know why I didn't hear anything about it before just now, but there's a special airing tonight at midnight on Adult Swim.

DINNER WITH FRIENDS WITH BRETT GELMAN AND FRIENDS.

Gelman's friends for the evening include Fred Melamed, Dale Dickey, Alex Karpovsky (Girls), Allison Pill (The Newsroom), Lance Reddick (Fringe), and Gilbert Gottfried.

It's co-written and presumably directed by Jason Woliner, who directed most episodes of Eagleheart. The review I just read makes it sound batshit in the best, most horrifying way.

You know what to do.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, you guys need to shut up about Glee for a few minutes and soak this the gently caress in.

I don't know why I didn't hear anything about it before just now, but there's a special airing tonight at midnight on Adult Swim.

DINNER WITH FRIENDS WITH BRETT GELMAN AND FRIENDS.

Gelman's friends for the evening include Fred Melamed, Dale Dickey, Alex Karpovsky (Girls), Allison Pill (The Newsroom), Lance Reddick (Fringe), and Gilbert Gottfried.

It's co-written and presumably directed by Jason Woliner, who directed most episodes of Eagleheart. The review I just read makes it sound batshit in the best, most horrifying way.

You know what to do.

I saw an ad for this during The Boondocks and then couldn't find it on Adult Swim's schedule and was wondering if I hallucinated the whole thing.

Edit: Taking the excuse to post this again:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/33f6fde258/toys-r-me-with-lance-reddick
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

hcreight fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 24, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Lance Reddick owns so hard. It's not enough that he's a great actor with a body chiseled from marble and his own jazz album, he has to be great at batshit alt-comedy too.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I saw him (Lance Reddick) briefly at ECCC last month and it was kind of sad -- his line for autographs was completely empty every time I walked past.

People wanted to meet Karen Gillan and/or Stephen Amell more, I guess.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

xeria posted:

Karen Gillan is a beautiful lady, so of course you're going to go see her. There is, however, NO excuse for going to Amell's booth over Reddick's.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Lance Reddick owns so hard. It's not enough that he's a great actor with a body chiseled from marble and his own jazz album, he has to be great at batshit alt-comedy too.

If I ever met Lance Reddick, I would get him to record a ringtone of "Detective. My Office."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

xeria posted:

I saw him (Lance Reddick) briefly at ECCC last month and it was kind of sad -- his line for autographs was completely empty every time I walked past.

They should have given him some LSD and let him sing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

You should have posted this:

http://youtu.be/ejOaHzmssjw

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I could find a clip from the episode of Comedy Bang Bang where he was the David Warner to Reggie Watts' Tron.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always wish Lance was in Sleepy Hollow. It's the perfect role for him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

Karen Gillan is a beautiful lady, so of course you're going to go see her. There is, however, NO excuse for going to Amell's booth over Reddick's.

Arrow is no the Wire but to be fair, Stephen Amell is one of the coolest dudes in television

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Arrow is no the Wire but to be fair, Stephen Amell is one of the coolest dudes in television

Augh you fell for his trap.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Noooo, I'm meltiiiiiiiiing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh man i didn't realise how soon that brett gelman special was airing. eagleheart season 3 is a masterpiece and i will watch everything jason woliner does from now until the end of time

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part of this was how he had previously been out there giving a fairly normal interview (for The Eric Andre Show) and then that happens.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I know Eric Andre asked Doug Benson to drop acid and come on his show, but I really wanna know which other guests have done that

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Ravane posted:

... so the exposure I had to classic american culture was limited. I didn't grow up reading comic books, I never watched Mad Max or Pump Fiction.

I really want to watch Pump Fiction.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

If pop culture smashes from the 80's hold up, it's on the shoulders of nostalgia.

I think visual media from the last 10 years is in general much better than the preceding decades.

People and directors lived in media vacuums, the cameras stank, editing wasn't as evolved, non-john-williams scores were corny, everything was worse.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

What on Earth was going on with Tamara's absurdly huge sandwich on Awkward this week? It was never commented on or even so much as acknowledged by any of the characters. Foreshadowing to a pregnancy or bulimia storyline or something? :iiam:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did she bring that from home?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

I found some further explanation here. I guess it was one of those "you had to be there" kind of things?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I haven't watched that show, but I like that joke.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It just isn't going to fit.

I wish more shows did really brief blink-and-you'll-miss-it absurd things, or just have something crazy inexplicable be in a scene just once with no explanation and no acknowledgement - and then continue as normal without missing a beat.

Or even just a whole alternative scene that either makes no sense or has completely mindblowing implications if it were real. I remember Veronica Mars had one of these (and it was years ago when I watched it so the details are fuzzy) where it was an alternative take at the end of an episode in a hospital to do with a pregnancy or baby or something, and I had the biggest confused look on my face that turned into a big grin when I watched it because I like it when my mind is messed with like that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Joramun posted:

What on Earth was going on with Tamara's absurdly huge sandwich on Awkward this week? It was never commented on or even so much as acknowledged by any of the characters. Foreshadowing to a pregnancy or bulimia storyline or something? :iiam:

Didn't her boyfriend just break up with her?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Didn't her boyfriend just break up with her?

No that was much later, close to the end of the episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bown posted:

oh man i didn't realise how soon that brett gelman special was airing. eagleheart season 3 is a masterpiece and i will watch everything jason woliner does from now until the end of time

Speaking of Eagleheart, Maria Thayer is guest starring in tonight's episode of Review. Which people should be watching anyway since its one of the funniest shows on TV.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Cactus posted:

It just isn't going to fit.

I wish more shows did really brief blink-and-you'll-miss-it absurd things, or just have something crazy inexplicable be in a scene just once with no explanation and no acknowledgement - and then continue as normal without missing a beat.

Although it's not a show, one of my go-to references for this is Adam Scott and the giant key in Torque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWoz7WTmjU&t=138s

edit: watching the clip I forgot how much I love that movie :allears:

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 24, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

Amell seems like an incredibly cool guy from his Facebook posts.

zoux posted:

Wait what? I know it's Irish Joe and all but... :confused:

BSam posted:

I really want to watch Pump Fiction.

I hear the gimp gets the most screen time.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 25, 2014

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

Although it's not a show, one of my go-to references for this is Adam Scott and the giant key in Torque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWoz7WTmjU&t=138s

edit: watching the clip I forgot how much I love that movie :allears:

Hahaha that's amazing. He has to hold it in his FIST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cactus posted:

Hahaha that's amazing. He has to hold it in his FIST.

Well, it looks like they were trying to do a perspective thing because they couldn't actually get a camera in the proper spot.

• Locked thread