Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Wasn't this the Blood Angel omnibus? I swear this was a Death Company dreadnought. That or something really similar happened with a Death Company character; I distinctly remember someone reliving the Emperor's Palace battle as the Emperor and seeing every Chaos cultist as Horus in that book.

I looked it up, and it was the Warmonger from the Word Bearer's books I mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm reading Dead Men Walking right now. It's alright, but there is a great line in the book that sums up the Krieg view on human life perfectly:

A Krieg Quartermaster posted:

The lasgun, it had been impressed upon him, was on loan from the Krieg 103rd regiment who expected its return. "When you know it's your time to die," the quartermaster had said, "when you're staring down the barrel of a gauss flayer, the last thing you do is, you save that gun by hurling it as far away from you as you can."
:commissar:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Lord of the Night has instantly redeemed itself:

quote:

As far as Mita could tell, skating delicately across the surface of his mind, Sergeant Varitens did not appear to like much at all.
(Sergeant Varitens did not like the Inquisition.)
(Sergeant Varitens did not like women.)
He and Mita were getting along just famously.

It's not the best work in the world, but it's not Soul Drinker either.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

Lord of the Night has instantly redeemed itself:

It's not the best work in the world, but it's not Soul Drinker either.

I think it's important to note that Lord of the Night was released when BL had much smaller output and for its time had some of the best characterization ever seen in a BL novel. GG was its only real competition.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I looked it up, and it was the Warmonger from the Word Bearer's books I mentioned.

Oh, two really similar scenarios then. Coincidental.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Magnus:psykers::libertarian:Bitcoin

"The Warp is going up uP UP!"

Someone photoshop a fedora onto Magnus, stat. And glue a giant ASIC miner to the side of his tank.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Eh, we all know who the most insufferable fedora wearer in the setting would be.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
And people wonder why he's such a lovely dad. He wasn't working on the webway, he was painting his little plastic armymans.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
I just pictured the almighty Emperor commanding a random space marine to march into his art room and hold still while he paints him for fun.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

One Legged Cat posted:

I just pictured the almighty Emperor commanding a random space marine to march into his art room and hold still while he paints him for fun.

This is a thing, except the inverse and Fulgrim is commanded by a civilian.

:downs:

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Oh yeah! Only I was imagining it as the big E is just painting a marine with some primer and model paints. He puts a little light yellow flare on the shoulderpads to make it look like it's reflecting the muzzle flash, ooh maybe paint the jump pack bright red on the exhaust ports to make it look all flamey etc.

And however the hell it turns out, the marine can pretty much never change the paint job, since it's the handiwork of the Emperor himself and therefore it would be literally sacrilegious. If it's really bad, he can never admit it's a poo poo job and has to be all "To wear this is the greatest honor etc etc" about it for the rest of his goddamn life, even though the Emperor got lazy and swept a streak of dark black paint over his left helmet lens, rendering it useless, and got his legion emblem mixed up with a different one since he was half-watching a movie at the time.

The laughter of thirsting gods, man.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Come on, you just know Fulgrim secretly loves that poo poo.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The worst part is when the Emperor submerges the Marine in cleaning fluid for days at a time.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I think it's plausible to assume that the Emperor used Thunder Warriors as paint brushes in his free time when they were dead or close to dying. Their plumes would make perfect bristles!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

The worst part is when the Emperor submerges the Marine in cleaning fluid for days at a time.

In the grim darkness of the far future Simple Green is made from Space Orks.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future Simple Green is made from Space Orks.

What do you think imperial refinery worlds are for? Crushing Orks into paint, of course!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That canonically is paint-on-top-of-ceramite for Space Marine armor colors, not something sensible like electroplating.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

VanSandman posted:

That canonically is paint-on-top-of-ceramite for Space Marine armor colors, not something sensible like electroplating.

Being fair it's easier for a marine to simply rub some paste on his armor in his hab-cell than it is to have to send the armour down to the techmarine for electroplating every single time it gets dinged by a lasbolt or pebble.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

FrozenDorf posted:

Being fair it's easier for a marine to simply rub some paste on his armor in his hab-cell than it is to have to send the armour down to the techmarine for electroplating every single time it gets dinged by a lasbolt or pebble.

Eh, it's canon (going by Forge World paint schemes) that a lot of marines don't give a poo poo until there's more scrape than original paint left. :v:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I bet the Emperor's anti-xenos stance is all due to some hot Eldar banshee turning him down despite him totally being a cool guy to her and offering free computer advice, and yet she could not see past her privilege.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sephyr posted:

I bet the Emperor's anti-xenos stance is all due to some hot Eldar banshee turning him down despite him totally being a cool guy to her and offering free computer advice, and yet she could not see past her privilege.

The Emperor chose to create his sons (and their geneseed offspring) without involving women because he wanted to keep anyone from spermjacking him.

It all makes so much sense now

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JerryLee posted:

Eh, it's canon (going by Forge World paint schemes) that a lot of marines don't give a poo poo until there's more scrape than original paint left. :v:

It seems to depend on the Chapter. Some, like the Ultrasmurfs, really make a big deal about keeping their gear shiny. Some of the others, say the Space Puppies, don't give a poo poo at all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Speaking from a historical sense, a "primitive" warrior culture (like the SWs) are more likely to retain battle damage to their armor as a symbol of how many battles they've been through. The UMs though are more likely to maintain their armor and equipment, as regular preventative maintenance ensures functionality and will keep you alive in a combat environment, and I'm sure the Codex says something about equipment maintenance, so they are sure to follow it to extremes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

jng2058 posted:

It seems to depend on the Chapter. Some, like the Ultrasmurfs, really make a big deal about keeping their gear shiny. Some of the others, say the Space Puppies, don't give a poo poo at all.

Space Woofs. :colbert:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Speaking from a historical sense, a "primitive" warrior culture (like the SWs) are more likely to retain battle damage to their armor as a symbol of how many battles they've been through. The UMs though are more likely to maintain their armor and equipment, as regular preventative maintenance ensures functionality and will keep you alive in a combat environment, and I'm sure the Codex says something about equipment maintenance, so they are sure to follow it to extremes.

Ya, basically this. I'm pretty sure all Astartes, regardless of the Chapter take care of their battle gear and those who don't have Servitors and Tech Priests who do it for them. Aesthetics is a matter of personal preference and even if a Marines armor looks scuffed all to poo poo, it has to function perfectly.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Then you have the Excoriators who apparently are so OCD about their armor that they catalog every single nick in the paint, viewing them as an honor tribute to Dorn.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oh yeah. Clearly the equipment needs to be kept in good working order, I was talking entirely about cosmetic damage (which is what I thought was under discussion).

What I meant with regards to 'canon' FW paint schemes was stuff like this:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/large/champandmos1.jpg
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/xlarge/mkIIcommand.jpg
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/xlarge/mkIIIcommand.jpg

'More scrape than original paint' was an exaggeration but it's pretty clear that a diverse array of chapters (well, legions) don't necessarily worry about touching up every little bare-metal ding, or even every dozen dings. Not even the Emperor's Children, who logic suggests should be fastidious about that if anyone is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Uh.... they're in combat RIGHT "NOW" as depicted there. No time for spit and polish when there's heretics that need purgin'.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Of course they take care of their stuff. They literally believe that their gear have spirits living inside it and that that spirit can get mad if they don't do the proper rituals regularly. Coincidentally almost all of the rituals are just normal maintenance procedures with some extra litany mixed in.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

No time for spit and polish when there's battle-brothers that need purgin'.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Well, just finished Lord of the Night and god drat am I mad that the author didn't stick around to write a second and third book in what was obviously the first book of more. It was a bit more overall conclusive than the average Abnett ending, and was a great book throughout, but ended right before I could see two certain characters interact (which I'd been waiting for throughout the book).

I think I might recommend it before ADB's Night Lord series, given that it's a great introduction to the themes surrounding the legion.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

One Legged Cat posted:

Well, just finished Lord of the Night and god drat am I mad that the author didn't stick around to write a second and third book in what was obviously the first book of more. It was a bit more overall conclusive than the average Abnett ending, and was a great book throughout, but ended right before I could see two certain characters interact (which I'd been waiting for throughout the book).

I think I might recommend it before ADB's Night Lord series, given that it's a great introduction to the themes surrounding the legion.

I was kind of surprised since after reading ADB's night lords i thought he was basically responsible for establishing the vast majority of the night lord themes. I really wish Simon Spurrier wrote more BL books.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The newest HH novel "Vengeful Spirit" is going to be the Sons of Horus vs Imperial Knights.

As if I needed a reminder that I'm basically reading the literary equivalent of G.I Joe.

BUY AN IMPERIAL KNIGHT TODAY! :rodimus:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

AndyElusive posted:

The newest HH novel "Vengeful Spirit" is going to be the Sons of Horus vs Imperial Knights.

As if I needed a reminder that I'm basically reading the literary equivalent of G.I Joe.

BUY AN IMPERIAL KNIGHT TODAY! :rodimus:

Does it surprise you? Because it shouldn't.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I actually have Transformers comics written by Dan Abnett. That should explain a lot.

ETA: just realised, it's the one of the GI Joe crossovers and everything :smithicide:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Does it surprise you? Because it shouldn't.

No surprise here just a slight bit of little eye rolling.

The only thing I didn't expect was for Knights to appear in the HH series instead of a 40k book.

edit: I guess they already have an Imperial Knights novel. I suppose GW/BL is just covering all their bases.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

No surprise here just a slight bit of little eye rolling.

The only thing I didn't expect was for Knights to appear in the HH series instead of a 40k book.

edit: I guess they already have an Imperial Knights novel. I suppose GW/BL is just covering all their bases.

They were also in the HH novel Mechanicum, for what it's worth.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I haven't read Mechanicum yet. :blush:

You get a pass this time, Black Library.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Mechanicum alright; it focuses quite a bit on the knights. Honestly I'd expect Vengeful Spirit to just be more of the same but with different badguys so... eh

Also, the Word Bearers are the dumbest, worst, legion and should have been deployed en masse to the heart of the nearest supernova. That's the entirety of chapter LXXIII of "The Emperor's Unconscionable Mistakes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomadUnmad
Apr 25, 2014

Sharkie posted:

Also, the Word Bearers are the dumbest, worst, legion and should have been deployed en masse to the heart of the nearest supernova. That's the entirety of chapter LXXIII of "The Emperor's Unconscionable Mistakes."

I always thought the Word Bearers were some of the biggest jokes out of all of them. I could never understand why but I just inherently disliked Lorgar. Maybe it's their intense religious bent that bugs me so much... They are without a doubt the premier hypocrites out of all the Legions.

"Dad doesn't like us anymore so we are going to go worship someone else.."

No wonder they had so many relationship issues. I'm sure they were rebuffed by one too many Adepta Sororitas too.

Also, Mechanicum was pretty decent. I still prefer the first 10 or so books in HH to all of the newest drivel being put out. The Unremembered Empire was a big disappointment in my opinion, and I usually enjoy Dan Abnett's writing.